• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chula Vista/San Diego Smash Presents: The Gauntlet April 28th

TKD

Smash Lord

i fair only for my friends. not c0cky a$$holes who play metaknight, who RUIN ALL the fun for everyone else by being unnessicarily competitive and overly opinionated about **** nobody really cares about.
I'm both hahaha Yay for neutralness =)

EDIT: Crap! This is a double post

$BONE$

Smash Ace
=) jeeez dont take what i say personally tkd.

on another note;
congradulations havok

--
*dsf appears*
dsf: life... dreams... hope..
dsf: where did they come from?
dsf: and where are they headed?
dsf: these things...
dsf: i am going to destroy!!
*insert ghoulish cackle*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjQapinCSO8

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
Wait...what did Havok do? I'm assuming won a SF4 tournament?

Is it your birthday, Phear? Happy Birthday!!

At TJ: I might consider going, if I had a passport.

@ Bone: Have you considered growing out that beard? You'd look like a badass, man.

JaggerG

Smash Apprentice
At $4 an entry into the Amateur Bracket (including Venue Fee) I don't see financial reasons hurting as much as the current tournament pricing at nearly double that. We're essentially cutting the price in half for people that are not as confident about their skills.
From your description, it sounds like everybody that goes pays the venue fee, even if they don't enter any tournament. That confused me the first time I came, because I hadn't been sure if it had been a separate charge. Are free-players going to pay the $2 venue under this system?

I suppose the tournament itself is the primary reason for hosting a tournament, so discouraging people from coming solely for free-play may be reasonable. I suppose it also serves as a bit of motivation to get a job so that I can actually afford to play more competitively. It's just less motivation than having to pay bills.

Also, are you guys gonna start having the tourneys on Saturdays any time soon? I remember you've been talking about it for months.

UnderWing

Smash Apprentice
First a question, than an observation (both regarding the PRO/AM idea):

Firstly, to clarify -- if someone qualifies for the AM bracket (they're not "too good" :p) they can register for one or both brackets individually, correct? If one does this, their total fee would be (assuming they don't get a freebie from placing in the AM bracket) $9, right (you don't pay venue twice, do you)?

If that's the case, and you're looking at it from a financial perspective, the extra registration is really a deal -- $2 for at least two matches, they may as well be dollar money matches. Sure you aren't playing for much, but you know you won't get *completely* rocked (unless your opponent plays Charizard, but that's a different issue), and just in general it heightens the value of each match you play -- like I said before, I think you learn more from tournament matches than from friendlies.

I'm psyched for this thing, I think it's a great idea... if for no other reason than I think I may finally be entering a bracket that I can break top-8 at least semi-regularly (I have an abnormal hatred for the numbers 9 and 13 these days, D:<).

Good **** SD, gl at today's stuff.

--UnderWing
EDIT:
...Also, are you guys gonna start having the tourneys on Saturdays any time soon? I remember you've been talking about it for months.
I don't think Havok's ever actually charged venue fee separate from tournament registration fees... though if you come to one, the least you could do is enter something or just give him the venue fee anyway -- the guy's too good for what he does, and he probably deserves way more credit/compensation than he gets. As for Saturday tourneys, I think those are only ever planned when there's a Sunday conflict (another tournament that the community's traveling to, a holiday, etc.), but just keep watch in this thread. They're usually not *planned* to be a Saturday thing until a day or two beforehand. I also think a major factor to keep in mind is that Havok has a job and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have Saturdays off regularly (Sundays, however, he does). Correct me if I'm wrong, Havok.

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
Christ! How many of us are online right now!?

Underwing, your Charizard/rock pun was very Nyjin-ish

UnderWing

Smash Apprentice
Underwing, your Charizard/rock pun was very Nyjin-ish
**** that, his puns are me-ish. I've been runnin' and punnin' since before that kid was in short pants.

And also, just saying:

Christ! How many of us are online right now!?
Spectacular choice of exclamations, very timely.

--UnderWing

EDIT: Also, I'm debating with myself whether or not I want to make a second account to post tl;dr summaries of each of my posts. You know, with the verbosity flag turned /off/ by default.

Geomaster

Smash Apprentice
I know this is unusually forsightical.... yea, thats totally a word... of me, but are we going to have a carpool up to the next Quiznos on the 25-26th? Because I totally want in on it if we are. Its far enough out that i can ask for the days off work.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Zeal: We've got Gursalug and ViceGrip. Awesomenesses.
Who? I don't keep up with players as much as I used to. Only reason I know about Shroomed is b/c I picked up Doc, and only reason I know of Sethlon is b/c he went to AZ One Two and we had sumdat fun over there.

hey. i'll play you, but i really dont do money matches unfortunately. i don't play this game seriously unless, im in a corner i have to get out of.. i hope you haven't lost respect for me in that sense. i fair only for my friends. not c0cky a$$holes who play metaknight, who RUIN ALL the fun for everyone else by being unnessicarily competitive and overly opinionated about **** nobody really cares about.

if this is melee, then i am all for it. brawl on the other hand just raises my blood pressure unfortunately (as you can tell), i'll most likely pass on that.

It's Melee. I'm not MMing people in Brawl, as I only really care about teams in that game. Singles is just too defensive for my tastes, and the egos behind people like Plank are just ridiculous.

So, just a srsly friendly for Melee? Or a MM? I want to play you for real this time, either way. :D!

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
@ Zeal. If I go to Genisis as planned, I'll ditto that guy you were talking about...

but the only "**** face" I know of is in SF4, which is basically using Zangief's taunt before I ransack people.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
DSF should've done better. :[ I'm disappointed, I was so rooting for him!

Random Dojo wins, lol.

On a side note, HugS is the San Diego slayer, beating Havok, Awex, and myself at Ike Takeda's tournament today.

@Underwing: I'm the Pun-master's apprentice, the master being MikeHAZE. Sorry. :)

Results from Takeda's tourney....

1. Fiction
2. Hugs
3. Havok
4. Nyjin
5. JonT
5. Bardull
7. RichBrown
7. Awex

UnderWing

Smash Apprentice
@Underwing: I'm the Pun-master's apprentice, the master being MikeHAZE. Sorry. :)
Haze may kick my *** in Brawl, but he ain't got **** on me when I'm pulling out the hardcore puns. Ask Nuke.

I'll take Mike on in a pun-off any day of the week., 'cause wordplay is my forte.

Also (not that anybody cares), results from the scrub tournament I helped throw at a LAN party on campus tonight:

1) PBS
2) UnderWing
3) Nuke
4) Scrub #1
5) Scrub #2
16) Scrub #13

PBS won $20 to UTC stores, I think -- I had misread the announcement, and thought first prize was $5 (there wasn't a buy-in, so... yeah). I might not have forfeited winners finals had I known -- I really didn't want to play his snake.
Note: Loser's finals with Nuke was fun -- Random gave us Link (me) and Ganondorf (Nuke), round one... always entertaining.

As for Quizno's, I'd be game if I have the time... that ****'s pretty close to my birthday, though, so I may be doing something. I'll know by a week out, but I'll probably be free so put me down for a spot... especially if we're taking the party van.

--UnderWing

Gursalug

Smash Journeyman
I also want to partake in the Quizno's finale weekend...especially the low tier tourney. Man, that thing is going to be full of SO much Captain Falcon. Everyone in attendance is going to have such an extreme testosterone dose. Girls will start growing facial hair!!!

Top Bottom