• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ChuChuROBBuddies!

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i just dont think candy good enough to beat me. md/va seems to know how to play md/va from what i'm seeing, and snake is a matchup i'm comfortable in.

gl candy, hope you namesearch this.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Mr. E, Sudai, and Chibo, I need any information you can give me about the Toon Link matchup. Plzzzzz
:054:

Hard time putting it into words. I'm actually just posting to let you know I read your post. only difficult thing is figuring your way around ZAir. I never found OS's "roll toward them" thing all that effective for me, I prefer dashing up and powershielding or uptilting FTilt and trading hits. You might have to figure your own thing out. And, like, catch the bombs if they try to keep you away with bomb drops over the stage...

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Im feeling pretty good about my preparations for pound. Got some valuable MU experience in. Tomorrow is a day of rest, studying any vids I can of any of my opponents, and ramming MU threads/opposing char trixies into my head like I was cramming for an exam. Also, I think i've got some awesome practice sessions with the MI & FL people @ the hotel a-comin for Friday & Saturday.

And I'm also gonna drink Judge so far under the table he's gonna hit China.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFq6JqMvkOY

This is my first REAL offline video of my rob vs a decent marth here in tx. Remember my rob is brand new and i still have lots to learn. Can any of you give me some GENERAL advice? I know im supposed to put this kind of thing in the rob video crit thread but NO ONE goes there anymore so can ya just give me some help here?

Chibo/Stinger/Sudai. Name search and help me out here, please.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)

This is my first REAL offline video of my rob vs a decent marth here in tx. Remember my rob is brand new and i still have lots to learn. Can any of you give me some GENERAL advice? I know im supposed to put this kind of thing in the rob video crit thread but NO ONE goes there anymore so can ya just give me some help here?

Of course,
-projectiles a little more. :)
-go for more grabs.
-you seem to like to "hit and run", try hit>combo or maybe hit>wait then punish. But, this is up to you. :)
-Try to use Jab it's more useful than it looks (I'm saying this because I didn't see you using jab at all really).
-I don't know why, but you missed multiple laser......work on laser game a bit more. :)
-uummmm.....your sidestepping a lot.....I'm not sure if it's a bad habit or something but don't do that....cause it'll get punished. :)
-try other D-tilt combos. D-tilt (trip)>F-tilt etc.

That all the stuff I can say. gotta go bye.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
oh my god, xyro. You do exactly what I do with Ftilt. You simply walk out of range and ftilt.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
JC, Toasty... Im leaving tomorrow around 10-11, so i should be getting to the hotel around 7-8 or so. Im borrowing a cell, so if either of you get a call from an 828-xxx-yyyy or 704-aaa-bbbb #, it'll be me. Gonna send this in PM as well.

Edit:

Good use of the whole "walk out of range & then f-tilt".

I'm surprised you got away with spot-dodging so much. All the Marth had to do was dancing blade. But, it worked & you kept doing it, so its all good. Just be careful.

More projectiles in general.

If you are at 140%+, don't risk close quarters combat with Marth. Dolphin slash was to good. Tack on whatever you can with projectiles/zoning, bide your time for an opening to do a moderate bit of "combo" damage.

Also, it looks like you are holding B when recovering instead of tapping it. Tapping > Holding bc it saves fuel prolonging your recovery.

Other than that, lookin' pretty good.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Dull, take a long hard look at that link you just posted, and then hit yourself in the nuts with a hammer.

-you seem to like to "hit and run", try hit>combo
Hahaha good one!
or maybe hit>wait
That's more like it.

Sorry, I haven't taken a jab at vBrawl all day, I had to get it out of my system :p

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Dull, take a long hard look at that link you just posted, and then hit yourself in the nuts with a hammer.

Hahaha good one!

That's more like it.

Sorry, I haven't taken a jab at vBrawl all day, I had to get it out of my system :p

The hammer broke. Now what?

Xyro77

Of course,
-projectiles a little more. :)
-go for more grabs.
-you seem to like to "hit and run", try hit>combo or maybe hit>wait then punish. But, this is up to you. :)
-Try to use Jab it's more useful than it looks (I'm saying this because I didn't see you using jab at all really).
-I don't know why, but you missed multiple laser......work on laser game a bit more. :)
-uummmm.....your sidestepping a lot.....I'm not sure if it's a bad habit or something but don't do that....cause it'll get punished. :)
-try other D-tilt combos. D-tilt (trip)>F-tilt etc.

That all the stuff I can say. gotta go bye.
JC, Toasty... Im leaving tomorrow around 10-11, so i should be getting to the hotel around 7-8 or so. Im borrowing a cell, so if either of you get a call from an 828-xxx-yyyy or 704-aaa-bbbb #, it'll be me. Gonna send this in PM as well.

Edit:

Good use of the whole "walk out of range & then f-tilt".

I'm surprised you got away with spot-dodging so much. All the Marth had to do was dancing blade. But, it worked & you kept doing it, so its all good. Just be careful.

More projectiles in general.

If you are at 140%+, don't risk close quarters combat with Marth. Dolphin slash was to good. Tack on whatever you can with projectiles/zoning, bide your time for an opening to do a moderate bit of "combo" damage.

Also, it looks like you are holding B when recovering instead of tapping it. Tapping > Holding bc it saves fuel prolonging your recovery.

Other than that, lookin' pretty good.
Both of you say more projectiles. I honestly dont see time to do it but i will try. As for the constant fuel for UP+B, i keep forgetting that(so i just keep taping up up up up instead of HOLDING up). Spot dodging is bad against marth, yea i realize that but i dont know what else would b BETTER than that, ideas? I do agree i dont use jab that much i guess i dont know WHEN do do it(out of shield maybe?).

Thanks for the advice!

oh my god, xyro. You do exactly what I do with Ftilt. You simply walk out of range and ftilt.
I figured its the best way to handle the foe. I could be wrong.

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
Both of you say more projectiles. I honestly dont see time to do it but i will try. As for the constant fuel for UP+B, i keep forgetting that(so i just keep taping up up up up instead of HOLDING up). Spot dodging is bad against marth, yea i realize that but i dont know what else would b BETTER than that, ideas? I do agree i dont use jab that much i guess i dont know WHEN do do it(out of shield maybe?).

Thanks for the advice!

I figured its the best way to handle the foe. I could be wrong.
Using your match against the Marth as an example: After you f-tilted him while he was at medium percents & knocked him decently far away, fire off a laser to tack on an extra 4%. On the larger stages, shoot a laser or a gyro anytime you have approximately 3 ROB f-tilt lengths between you. When you are edgeguarding him and he is at an awkward angle that you cant hit w/ the laser or safely pursue him, charge a gyro. Run away and SH reverse (or just ground reverse) a gyro or laser.

As far as what to do instead of spotdodging: if it is close quarters like that you can get away with 1-2 spotdodges probably, but usually not more... and hardly ever regularly. Jab OoS, D-smash OoS (without the spot-dodge) or on rare occasions roll back to space yourself at F-tilt range, or even retreat F-air OoS. ROB doesn't have a TON of OoS options (no whirling fortress or Dolphin Slash or ShuttleLoop or anything of that calibur). IMO, ROB's OoS game isn't so much about "getting your opponent off of you with a powerful move" but more "get yourself away from your opponent back to an advantageous zone.

As far as WHEN to use jab, its a good tool to use once they get INSIDE your F-tilt range. A lot of times you can jab their shield, and they'll drop it attempting a grab, and if you jab an extra set you can beat out their brief shield stun+grab speed, or even outrange them (i think... it works well enough for me anyway)

Once you become more comfortable with tapping B to conserve fuel, a whole breadth of edgeguarding & pursuit options will open up to you; like hovering JUST out of reach and baiting a move and then swatting them away with an F-air for example. This can be used on-stage to track opponent's after you've hit them, if they have a predictable pattern (like... do they always F-air after being hit? Or airdodge?) at the upper echelons of the middle percent (like... 90-120, where your attacks won't send them all the way across the stage, but they aren't on top of you either).

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
quick note:

sounds good Dull.

I'm assuming that Yay got housing?

I never heard any updates from either of you so I'm only left with that assumption.

He has housing with HAT if whatever else he has planned falls through. I hope he's staying with HAT, though, since I already arranged for it XD

SEE YA *****ES TOMORROW!!! GAHHHH SO EXCITED!!!

Syde7

The Sultan of Smut
NNID
syde_7
quick note:

sounds good Dull.

I'm assuming that Yay got housing?

I never heard any updates from either of you so I'm only left with that assumption.

He has housing with HAT if whatever else he has planned falls through. I hope he's staying with HAT, though, since I already arranged for it XD

SEE YA *****ES TOMORROW!!! GAHHHH SO EXCITED!!!
I'll have him call you sometime on the morrow after he picks me up to 100% verify. When I talked to him about it, i was like: "Thats between you and toasty/whoever else you might be rooming with/other people in the car (read: everyone except me)" Not verbatim of course, but that was kind of how it went, iirc.

Xyro77

Using your match against the Marth as an example: After you f-tilted him while he was at medium percents & knocked him decently far away, fire off a laser to tack on an extra 4%. On the larger stages, shoot a laser or a gyro anytime you have approximately 3 ROB f-tilt lengths between you. When you are edgeguarding him and he is at an awkward angle that you cant hit w/ the laser or safely pursue him, charge a gyro. Run away and SH reverse (or just ground reverse) a gyro or laser.

As far as what to do instead of spotdodging: if it is close quarters like that you can get away with 1-2 spotdodges probably, but usually not more... and hardly ever regularly. Jab OoS, D-smash OoS (without the spot-dodge) or on rare occasions roll back to space yourself at F-tilt range, or even retreat F-air OoS. ROB doesn't have a TON of OoS options (no whirling fortress or Dolphin Slash or ShuttleLoop or anything of that calibur). IMO, ROB's OoS game isn't so much about "getting your opponent off of you with a powerful move" but more "get yourself away from your opponent back to an advantageous zone.

As far as WHEN to use jab, its a good tool to use once they get INSIDE your F-tilt range. A lot of times you can jab their shield, and they'll drop it attempting a grab, and if you jab an extra set you can beat out their brief shield stun+grab speed, or even outrange them (i think... it works well enough for me anyway)

Once you become more comfortable with tapping B to conserve fuel, a whole breadth of edgeguarding & pursuit options will open up to you; like hovering JUST out of reach and baiting a move and then swatting them away with an F-air for example. This can be used on-stage to track opponent's after you've hit them, if they have a predictable pattern (like... do they always F-air after being hit? Or airdodge?) at the upper echelons of the middle percent (like... 90-120, where your attacks won't send them all the way across the stage, but they aren't on top of you either).
Holy ****.......im horrible. Man i got alot to work on.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
why u wanna use rob all of a sudden, didnt u drop him way back when?

u gonna go all rob at the next few toruneys (or at least the ones with a low tiers singles and doubles event)?

Xyro77

why u wanna use rob all of a sudden, didnt u drop him way back when?

u gonna go all rob at the next few toruneys (or at least the ones with a low tiers singles and doubles event)?
Its a long story......

Ive mained Samus since day one and its been about 1.8 years of NOTHING but my green lesbian. Im VERY sick of playing the SAME way vs the entire cast with Samus(she only has one style.....spam) so i decided to pick up somebody else. Zs, no. Pika, no. I drop both of them for 2 reasons, they CANNOT spam like samus could and they were not even close to her weight so i was dying SUPER early. It made me mad cause this is brawl and i should be doing good AUTOMATIC if i leave my low tier.

So i tried rob.

I did EVEN WORSE! But hen i realized why: The guy who i was training with(royr) is tied for best marth in the USA so each loss was a 2-3 stock and that was pretty degrading. THEN i had to learn to roll/jab/jab to grab/f-tilt/use robs weaker spam and on top of ALL that ****, i had to relearn the match-ups i once knew with samus. So i droped Rob

Then i picked him up again cause i realized he a roboic lesbian(and samus is a lesbian in a robitc suit so it must mean rob is meant for me).

So i picked his *** up AGAIN and worked on the things i listed ABOVE and he became SUPER FUN. I still have to get used to doing some things(obviously by my video i got alot o work to do) but rob is really fun.

TL;DR

I 2nd rob and i love her. I will be using her in my next few tournies. i CANT WAIT!!!

★J.G WentWorth★

Smash Champion
Xyro lol I honestly thought You picking up R.O.B had something to do with our set at Inui's tourny. Anyways it's great that you picked up R.O.B. I sense a lot of advancement for robots in 2010.

TL;DR

I 2nd rob and i love her. I will be using her in my next few tournies. i CANT WAIT!!!
R.O.B's a girl?! I've been lied to my entire life lol.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed

Don't listen to the criticism you got too much so far. Some of it was good, but a lot of stuff was wrong. Specifically the comment about hit and run. You're hit and run mindset is already amazing. It takes me so much patience to really be keen on that and it's one of the best ways to play ROB, especially in this matchup.

You're certainly on the right track, for this matchup at least (I only saw match 1 v Marth). You're doing exactly what you need to do with walking away to space your ftilts.

As for the comments on jabs, don't just use them when your inside ftilt range, use them specifically after you shield (preferably pshield) an opponents attack because then you should be able to do it unpunished. Up to you to then go for the jab jab to get them out of there and zone in your ftilt range again or attempt a jab grab which works on their DI (or jab dash grab).

As for what your doing out of trip your choosing the safest option to grab them, which in the long run is probably one of the best and its good that your looking out for it. Theres a couple other options you should mix it up with:
-jab to grab: if spaced right and done immediately when they trip, the jab pulls them back into you (watch my combo video) so you get the grab, but with some more damage tacked on
-more dtilts: get lucky and score some more trips
-the original chibo nair: (you'll see me do this also a bit in my combo vid) when they trip short hop and sort of nair past them and it covers almost every single option they have. you just need a little prediction to tweak your DI depending if they roll away or roll towards you. though a forward moving short hopped nair can literally cover every option they have - staying down, attacking, getting up, or rolling either way.

Use more nair in general. It's great that your learning to rely on ftilt and fair a lot instead of nair when you need to save it for a kill move. Example, if you come down on ur opponent (after dying) and their at like 80%, rack up damage with laser gyro ftilt and fair and then use nair to kill them. If they are at lower percents, don't bother saving it for a kill move. nair will help you too much through the stock to not use it.

Work on laser accuracy and predicting where your opponent is going and shoot there (thats some last ship space invaders stuff there lol). You'll get this naturally in time though, no need to practice.

More gyro. Glide Toss combos are inexpensible.

Bait more air dodges and do whatever you can to land uairs. The rewards almost always outweighs the risk. Over 20 damage on avg is too great.

Xyro77

Don't listen to the criticism you got too much so far. Some of it was good, but a lot of stuff was wrong. Specifically the comment about hit and run. You're hit and run mindset is already amazing. It takes me so much patience to really be keen on that and it's one of the best ways to play ROB, especially in this matchup.

You're certainly on the right track, for this matchup at least (I only saw match 1 v Marth). You're doing exactly what you need to do with walking away to space your ftilts.

As for the comments on jabs, don't just use them when your inside ftilt range, use them specifically after you shield (preferably pshield) an opponents attack because then you should be able to do it unpunished. Up to you to then go for the jab jab to get them out of there and zone in your ftilt range again or attempt a jab grab which works on their DI (or jab dash grab).

As for what your doing out of trip your choosing the safest option to grab them, which in the long run is probably one of the best and its good that your looking out for it. Theres a couple other options you should mix it up with:
-jab to grab: if spaced right and done immediately when they trip, the jab pulls them back into you (watch my combo video) so you get the grab, but with some more damage tacked on
-more dtilts: get lucky and score some more trips
-the original chibo nair: (you'll see me do this also a bit in my combo vid) when they trip short hop and sort of nair past them and it covers almost every single option they have. you just need a little prediction to tweak your DI depending if they roll away or roll towards you. though a forward moving short hopped nair can literally cover every option they have - staying down, attacking, getting up, or rolling either way.

Use more nair in general. It's great that your learning to rely on ftilt and fair a lot instead of nair when you need to save it for a kill move. Example, if you come down on ur opponent (after dying) and their at like 80%, rack up damage with laser gyro ftilt and fair and then use nair to kill them. If they are at lower percents, don't bother saving it for a kill move. nair will help you too much through the stock to not use it.

Work on laser accuracy and predicting where your opponent is going and shoot there (thats some last ship space invaders stuff there lol). You'll get this naturally in time though, no need to practice.

More gyro. Glide Toss combos are inexpensible.

Bait more air dodges and do whatever you can to land uairs. The rewards almost always outweighs the risk. Over 20 damage on avg is too great.

Remember, i JUST picked up rob so im not sure what im supposed to do since there isnt many videos of him out there.

Jab cancel to grab is SUPER hard for me so i need ALOT of practice in that area before i decide to work that into my game. Nair, i can NEVER get it to work on marth because his sword beats it or is longer and my nair doesnt even come close. Whats the best part of nair to hit with? first or last? D-tilt, i dont see a reliable use for it. Every time i try it, marth goes in the air and fairs........maybe its just marth i shouldnt use it on.

Xyro77

I think chibo didnt make it out of 2nd round pools. i think he lost to hyro(tl) for the last spot. its not CONFIRMED but its what i read.

Top Bottom