• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Tactical Discussion

CoonTail

Smash Lord
If we have space on a platform, we can dash away from the opponent under us and then B-Reverse Rock Smash out of the run to counter an aerial approach. If we don't have space, we can run off the platform and still B-Reverse Rock Smash or Flamethrower, and that's probably safer than the former suggestion.
This is what I was getting at Luis, if they aren't directly under us or MK/Marth with huge u-air hitboxes it is never as bad as people think it is. We have options and we need to remember that otherwise you get juggled :/.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
When you Up-B, you can turn yourself in the opposite direction of where you're facing by holding the opposite direction during the first few frames.

While that in itself is no great revelation, I found out that holding back while doing Up-B forward (as in, after holding back won't turn you around) makes you go almost straight up (moreso than holding Up), which gives you more vertical distance. This also works for Squirtle. PT's recovery just got a tiny bit better. :)

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Ooooh, you didn't know it?
It would have been useful for you (I can't find the match, but you were on BF against a MK and got your Squirtle gimped at like 30% ; you could have recover by pressing left)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Reflex, are you going full PT now that MK is banned?
No; Wario was my original character, and I love using him. That said, I'll definitely use more PT as a result.

Ooooh, you didn't know it?
It would have been useful for you (I can't find the match, but you were on BF against a MK and got your Squirtle gimped at like 30% ; you could have recover by pressing left)
I didn't know. :(

Oh well; I'll know for next time.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I just gained control of the thread so that I can put all the useful information people have mentioned about each move/tactic/whatever on the OP. It'll take a while to get it together, though.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
On the Fire part of Stadium 1, if you do an Up-B from the hole in the center of the stage and hold Forward (left), you have minimal lag. Also, it hits people who are inside the "hole" in the tree. :)

Tesh

Smash Hero
With MK gone, I might be able to CP PT+Brinstar now. Although I've picked up wario now as well...

@ Oreo, Charizard was the first one liked because I could just dash grab people like Sonic.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I like how at low %'s, Charizard can B-throw -> Dash grab a lot of characters. It looks like such a cool combo.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
When you start conditioning people to be afraid of it, you can B-Throw -> dash -> RAR B-Air their mid-air jump, too.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I usually just go for Fair on the reads. Fairing someone out of their double jump is like GG at any percent. Its like shuttle loop really.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I want to explore what moves we can reliably use Rock Smash to stuff/counter via the shard explosion.

Gods, I need a capture card so I could make all these threads into videos.

So I have a general idea, does anyone know how much damage each individual rock shard does, and how many there are?

Tesh

Smash Hero
^ I don't think frame 20 moves stop grabs. Kirby's CG is stopped easily by SDIing the uair up and away. Unless you mean you can rock smash the uptilt?

MaTA

Smash Ace
NNID
MatisElite
Generally a lot of the tilts can be broken by rock smash, well timed for mk tornados get destroyed, kirbys grab combo. Marths dancing dragon blade attack or whatever.

B-throw to a read spot dodge is awesome.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
^ I don't think frame 20 moves stop grabs. Kirby's CG is stopped easily by SDIing the uair up and away. Unless you mean you can rock smash the uptilt?
Rock comes out on frame 3; if an attack hits it, the shards come out immediately after. The frame 24 (or whatever it is) headbutt is independent of this.

That's why I want to figure out what we can use it for as a counter. I only recently realized that it stuff Falco N-Air approach, and wondered what else I've been missing.

Tesh

Smash Hero
A falco approached charizard?

Anyway I was talking about how you can't rock smash counter against grabs.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Yes miles meant the u-tilt or U-air can be counter attacked. As far as the list of this I've RS counter attacked its enormus, I mean I almost broke brawl when will and I set off a RS counter when will threw a full charge DK punch.

Basically any move that doesn't provide much priority or safety to their users can be punished. That's why marth's f-air and peach's f-air laugh at RS.

:phone:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
iirc from looking at the .pac file, there's like 9 rock smash shards and each do 3% fresh. shard locations are random.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Aerials don't have priority; there is only being outranged. My assumption is that the rock/rock shards have ground attack priority, and that any attack that does 11% or more that lasts for at least a couple frames will break the rock and then "eat" the shards.

That means that ground attacks without a long-lasting hitbox, as well as attacks that deal 10% or less, should be hurt by shards. Also, since aerials don't have priority, any aerial with a hitbox lasting longer than a couple frames should just barrel through them.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
As an aside, wavebounced Rock Smash is neat, and I think it has some promise, especially against characters that we have trouble dealing with their short-hop spacing tools, like Wolf and Wario. Also, perhaps it could function as a useful anti-juggle tool that allows us to punish people attempting to keep us in the air quite hard. One thing that's sure to be useful with it is baiting at the ledge, for people who expect to punish an airdodge onto the level or an aerial. Jump toward the ledge a bit and then wavebounce Rock Smash. If they're aiming to hit at the ledge, you'll avoid it and hit them. While a simple B-Reversed Rock Smash is easier and safer in general, the fact that you're moving onto the stage before the wavebounce will make people try to punish in a way that you could never elicit via moving away from the ledge and B-Reversing.

It's incredibly simple with B-Sticking, but that takes away Squirtle's Hydrograb, so I feel like doing it the difficult way is necessary. Jump Forward -> press Back+B -> immediately hold Forward.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Lol if we are still talking about Kirby then I'm 100% d-throw -> regrab is not a thing. I was playing kirby all this weekend and it's always the gonzo chain from 2008 never dthrow -> regrab

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
F-Throw -> U-Air -> U-Tilt -> B-Air was the Kirby standard. Now after U-Air, Kirby players guess; they'll either try that or jump up with another U-Air to catch a jump.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Probably because Fthrow-regrab doesn't work...

If there is a big enough gap to break out with a 24 frame move..

CoonTail

Smash Lord
LOL Tesh you don't seem to get it, RS counter attack does not come out on frame 24, it comes out on frame 3 because after the f-throw Kirby U-air's thus breaking the rock and causing the counter to go off on FRAME 3.

Thats why Zard can break this combo with RS.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
he's talking about regrab, not uair...

which no kirby will ever attempt.

point is that RS is good.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Now that I think about it, Dthrow to regrab would probably work on me. I'm so busy mashing Up on the C stick that I'd probably fall for it...

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Holy crap, U-Smash out of shield. I don't know why I only really tried it with Ivysaur, but this is matchup changing, for sure. I feel like my Charizard is so good now just because I know the glory that is U-Smash out of shield. I kind of like it with Squirtle, too, as it nets me earlier KOs than I would have otherwise, but, Jesus Christ. This is paradise.

NJel

Smash Rookie
Question About Charizard

I've become REALLY good at short-hopping Charizard's F-Air's, but the problem I am having with it is that when I successfully land them on an opponent they'll take damage but they don't get knocked back by the attack.

I'm quite aware of the Stamina mechanic in the PT's pokemon, but I didn't notice any sign of fatigue on my Charizard when it happens. Maybe I just missed it? Or is there anything I'm missing where I can improve my technique with it?

Thanks in advance!

T-block

B2B TST
The outer hitboxes on f-air have no knockback - fatigue has nothing to do with it. If you hit with the inner part of the attack, they'll take the knockback.

Improvements... it's just about when you choose to use the move. When you're thinking about using it, think of it as only covering the space immediately in front of you, rather than the full flame. For that reason, you should probably look to other moves to cover your front (f-tilt, reverse b-air, for example).

NJel

Smash Rookie
The outer hitboxes on f-air have no knockback - fatigue has nothing to do with it. If you hit with the inner part of the attack, they'll take the knockback.

Improvements... it's just about when you choose to use the move. When you're thinking about using it, think of it as only covering the space immediately in front of you, rather than the full flame. For that reason, you should probably look to other moves to cover your front (f-tilt, reverse b-air, for example).

Ah, so THAT'S it! :D Thanks, I didn't think about that lol

I tend to use N-Airs and F-Airs a lot <.< but yeah, the problem I was having was my F-Airs would hit, but wouldn't knock back so I'd put myself right smack in front of my opponent with JUST a fraction of enough recovery to get knocked off stage by a smash attack lol

I still have a lot to learn, and N-Airs.... well, I use it to keep the opponent at bay, but I find they're sometimes too slow all around; then again, I'm probably just not using it right. That's why I'm going through and reading the sticky's for the PT page =)

Top Bottom