• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Tactical Discussion

Tesh

Smash Hero
Charizard is super fat and easy to combo for peach. Her aerials tear through rock smash and flamethrower, his recovery is free for turnips slowing down any momentum you have. He does have some strong points in the matchup. Having a spike that can outrange her up b from the top is a nice way to score a kill at 30+%.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Charizard > Bowser and DK imo. Those are the most obvious to me.
this hardcore. i think charizard ***** 'traditional heavies', and would **** dedede if he couldn't chaingrab

also peach's shield pressure is too good, nothing zard has OoS is really that safe

T-block

B2B TST
Bullet Seed hurts, but more importantly, Charizard is a big target with moves that come out pretty slowly. When spacing horizontally, Charizard's fastest aerial is b-air, which is still only frame 7. Tilts are slow, and u-smash leaves him open if he misses. This allows Ivysaur to wall Charizard somewhat effectively, and then when she does get in, she can do a lot of damage with n-air and Bullet Seed thanks to Charizard's large frame.

Charizard's dash speed is what prevents this from being a bad matchup imo. Despite Ivysaur's range, she still has horrendous aerial mobility, which gives Charizard a decent amount of room to outplay Ivysaur.

Ivysaur also edgeguards Charizard hilariously well.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Charizard doesn't need to upsmash or commit to anything to beat ivysaur. Walling with bair is ridiculously worthless in this matchup. It will barely even list zard off the ground. All zard needs is 1 grab and he can put ivysaur in a horrible position. Even a luckky fair if he gets close enough will destroy ivysaur instantly. Not to mention flamethrower can compete fine with ivy's bair when you factor in risk/reward.

Ivy has some manageable stuff close range, but he still has to worry about rock smash, up b, getting grabbed or anything not super slow if he screws up close range.

I'm not seeing how Ivysaur edgeguards zard so well. Can he even cover a low diving glide under the stage? Or a super high glide that results in a mere juggle attempt with a weakened uair?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
I'm not seeing how Ivysaur edgeguards zard so well. Can he even cover a low diving glide under the stage? Or a super high glide that results in a mere juggle attempt with a weakened uair?
1. dair, bair

2. uair, bullet seed, vine whip

T-block

B2B TST
Low glide under the stage would be pretty effective actually. Ivysaur can drop down pretty low and still remain pretty safe since Vine Whip gets her up so quickly. I was talking more about when Charizard is off-stage, but not far enough out to be able to glide that low though. That u-air is weaker doesn't matter - it will still have enough knockback to reset to juggling positions, and still KOs at decent percents.

B-air isn't worthless at all... it's enough of a disruption. Short hop b-air will get you in trouble, but fast falling it to land after the first hit, or rising full hop b-air is still a pain for Charizard to deal with. I mean, it's not like we're just spamming b-air over and over again, right?

Tesh

Smash Hero
There is still the risk/reward factor. What is going to happen to ivysaur with charizard edgeguards him? Or juggles him? or gets past his mediocre walling?

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Ok guys this whole peach ***** zard thing is very far fom correct. Yes peach can combo zard but it should never to be at 50 unless she manages to get your at 0 which is your own fault.

Firstly....shield pressure with d-air from peach should be non exsistant on zard.....studder step rock smash forces a peach who commited to d-air to set off RS counter and thus have her approach nullified. Not to mention the only option of peach's that beats RS is f-air thats it because f-air cuts throw all the pieces of shrapnel from the rock the hits zards.

Flamethrower also is a toll used to take peach out of the air....I am not saying commit to holding flamethrower down but light bursts of it completely shut down floating. Flamethrower is also really nice since it negates turnips which make proper flamethrower use real important.

Zard should never have to commit to U-smash OoS because of the fact that you have 2 major answers to floating in your b-moves, I mean honestly you shouldnt be letting peach get to your shield if she is floating because thats like breaking rule one in the squirtle v. marth matchup of don't get grabbed.

Zard's b-air is awesome here because when you mix it in with the RS and flamethrower shut down of floating you can connect and push her out of the air everytime. Proper mix up of b-air and grabs allow zard to really have a solid way of getting closer to peach without risking as much as when she comes after you.

Look this is a matchup I have talked and debated about quite some time ago on these boards.....I friendly Vinnie all the time and if any of you don't know vinnie you should look into him because he's said to be right under illmatic when it comes to peach. Once I had my matchup knowledge vinnie has even agreed peach v. zard is not close to being in blantant favor of peach. Zard can rack damage way faster than peach and can shut down almost every approach she has....sorry guys if your playing zard right there is no way she should be crushing your zard's

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Lol well I lost by less than 40% both games...not to mention I went 3-0 against him after that and almost 2 stocked him in one of those games......so thanks minty but my point still stands.

T-block

B2B TST
I'm not too familiar with the matchup (other than getting wrecked), so I can't really comment. I'll try some of the stuff you said out next time though ^^

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Ivy does fine against Zard. She's can't kill him, but that's whatever.

Charizard does not beat Peach x.x I got wrecked by Peach last tournament I was at lol

Charizard > Bowser and DK imo. Those are the most obvious to me.
Bowser-Charizard is fairly even, in my opinion.

:phone:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Your mom is ridiculous, in my opinion.

Charizard is the only Pokemon Bowser can standing CG. It's nasty. Ftilt also beats out Rock Smash.

Depending on the stage, Squirtle or Ivysaur does best against Bowser. Both are really good at comboing Bowser and getting away, but Squirtle gets dumped on without platforms. GR Klaw is really easy to time, as is GR runoff upair. Both have ways to gay Bowser, but Charizard lacks a move to gay Bowser too bad.

IMO, Bowser goes even with a lot of heavies. I'm really comfortable in those MUs.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Your mom is ridiculous, in my opinion.

Charizard is the only Pokemon Bowser can standing CG. It's nasty. Ftilt also beats out Rock Smash.

Depending on the stage, Squirtle or Ivysaur does best against Bowser. Both are really good at comboing Bowser and getting away, but Squirtle gets dumped on without platforms. GR Klaw is really easy to time, as is GR runoff upair. Both have ways to gay Bowser, but Charizard lacks a move to gay Bowser too bad.

IMO, Bowser goes even with a lot of heavies. I'm really comfortable in those MUs.

I thougth Bowser could infinite Ivysaur or something.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Technically no. Off the top of my head, I'm fairly sure it's not an infinite if Ivysaur doesn't mash jump to escape.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
It's dependent on how I pummel vs. how you mash out.

Zard's upthrow is annoying, but so is everyone else's upthrow, haha.

T-block

B2B TST
I remember hearing 15/27 frames.

I also refuse to believe that anyone is able to time their pummels according to how their opponent is mashing out (yeah looking at you Reflex).

And Charizard has the dash speed to stay under Bowser, and the grab range to land regrabs more often. You fall off-stage and aim for the ledge either thanks to Flamethrower.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
You better not miss your grabs, or else I'll just Klaw you all day at Genesis. :)

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Oh it's on, Miles.

Sam, I will do the same thing to you ONLY IN REAL LIFE.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
lol. I might make a trip out to Edmonton since it's like a 9 hour drive but I definitely don't think i'm as good as T-Block lol. T-block my Ganon is better than yours.

T-block

B2B TST
Who cares how good you are? (I'm not that good btw =p) You should definitely come... it's fun meeting other PTs.

And you've never seen my Ganon... what makes you so sure?

MintyFlesh

Smash Ace
Lol well I lost by less than 40% both games...not to mention I went 3-0 against him after that and almost 2 stocked him in one of those games......so thanks minty but my point still stands.
I'm kidding, btw we need to play sometime lol

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Who cares how good you are? (I'm not that good btw =p) You should definitely come... it's fun meeting other PTs.

And you've never seen my Ganon... what makes you so sure?
I didn't know you had a Ganon and mines decent so I just guessed lol. Yeah maybe this summer me, my friend, and rob and some other people can come. Just don't know if my parents would let me...

Scatz

Smash Champion
Has anyone thought about using a DJ'd Dair on taller characters? I've thought about using it lately since it can autocancel and has good range. I think it might be a valuable mixup if someone's near the ledge shielding. The hit should push them off the stage, making it safe for us, or they get read and popped into the air, giving us a better chance to make another hard read.

Top Bottom