• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
LUCAS IN TIER E????? HE can reflect and absorb projectiles, can use zap jump combined with magnet pull and pk thunder to get a great recovery, has 2 spikes, and has a spammale pk fire that has a great wavebounce!!
This aren't tiers. They're ranks. This is based on tourney results alone, and doesn't necessarily represent potential. If you want Lucas to go up, take yours to some tournaments and place well.

cheetacuz007

Smash Apprentice
snake is first by far because of his massive range
but i do think falcon should be a couple of places higher

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
This.

Is.

Not.

A.

Tier.

List.

Maybe he thinks that, in future lists, Falcon will be higher? Maybe he thinks that Falcon has more potential than people are currently utilizing in today's tournaments?

I don't see why you have to jump on people for inconsequential statements like that. I've said before in this thread that other characters deserved to be higher, and that's still a very legitimate statement. If you think that a character can do better, saying it doesn't mean that you think this is a tier list.

clowsui

Smash Legend
We jump on people because statements like that suggest that this is a tier list.

"Other characters deserve to be higher."

It doesn't matter whether they DESERVE to be or not, they have to place and SHOW that they DESERVE their spot. Get it?

Potential is factored in when you make tiers (but it's not that great of an influence for Smash). Is this a tier list? NO. This is just a compilation of results putin a points system. Saying that a character can do better is absolutely worthless towards this thread because until they ACTUALLY do better it's not going to show up; why debate things that are not going to appear until they manifest themselves?

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Maybe he thinks that, in future lists, Falcon will be higher? Maybe he thinks that Falcon has more potential than people are currently utilizing in today's tournaments?

I don't see why you have to jump on people for inconsequential statements like that. I've said before in this thread that other characters deserved to be higher, and that's still a very legitimate statement. If you think that a character can do better, saying it doesn't mean that you think this is a tier list.
We've already determined that your particular thoughts are pretty dumb, and in this vein, stating that characters should be higher is useless, redundant, and adds nothing to the discussion. /ignore

chckn

Smash Ace
lol Im so tired of hearing how captain falcon will sit proudly on top of tier lists everywhere one day, he is not good. He does not place in tournaments, he has no good matchups, he has nothing. Unlike other lower tier characters he even has a following of people who play him(many with alot of skill) just to prove that he is not the worst character in the game.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
lol Im so tired of hearing how captain falcon will sit proudly on top of tier lists everywhere one day, he is not good. He does not place in tournaments, he has no good matchups, he has nothing. Unlike other lower tier characters he even has a following of people who play him(many with alot of skill) just to prove that he is not the worst character
Except Pooky beat M2K's D3 with his Falcon in a $1 MM. xD

Except Pooky beat M2K's D3 with his Falcon in a $1 MM. xD
I guarentee you he probably would not have won in a complete tournament set. >_>. Not to mention, just because Falcon beat someone doesn't change his inherant disadvantages.

And DDD is known to have trouble against bigger characters, big deal. Show me when a guy like Forte using MK is beaten by a CF. Then I'll be surprised.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I guarentee you he probably would not have won in a complete tournament set. >_>. Not to mention, just because Falcon beat someone doesn't change his inherant disadvantages.

And DDD is known to have trouble against bigger characters, big deal. Show me when a guy like Forte using MK is beaten by a CF. Then I'll be surprised.
It's called a joke? Calm down, buddy. Everybody could tell M2k was sandbagging, he went for the same KO every time: CG to stagespike.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
We've already determined that your particular thoughts are pretty dumb, and in this vein, stating that characters should be higher is useless, redundant, and adds nothing to the discussion. /ignore
Uh, I guess your hostility is warranted...

Also, thanks for your blanket statement that you decided not to justify whatsoever.

I guess saying:

This.

Is.

Not.

A.

Tier.

List.
adds a lot more to the discussion than those opinions.

Basically, your original response was wrong, so you decided to a) throw ad homs at me and b) say that the post you responded to was stupid anyway. Last time I checked, those were what logicians (and debaters, might I add) call 'smokescreens.'

Edit: And before you give me your response, remember that my original post wasn't attacking you in the slightest. I was just telling you to lay off the guy; you obviously have a big problem with people challenging you.

chckn

Smash Ace
Uh, I guess your hostility is warranted...

Also, thanks for your blanket statement that you decided not to justify whatsoever.

I guess saying:

adds a lot more to the discussion than those opinions.

Basically, your original response was wrong, so you decided to a) throw ad homs at me and b) say that the post you responded to was stupid anyway. Last time I checked, those were what logicians (and debaters, might I add) call 'smokescreens.'

Edit: And before you give me your response, remember that my original post wasn't attacking you in the slightest. I was just telling you to lay off the guy; you obviously have a big problem with people challenging you.
LOL play the superiority card in order to hide your lack of knowledge of brawl. 12 internetz for you good sir

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I'm going to assume that Patsie's post was directed at me, and say this in response:

No.

EDIT: Aw, Chckn, now I can see it!

Patsie, I'm sorry, but please don't try to throw the language to debate in my face. You look dumb doing it. Why? Because what I said holds weight in an actual debate.

1) You've made terrible uninformed posts before, thus injuring your credibility.
2) The post I replied to was stupid, which I explained.
3) I have problems with people who don't know what they're talking about challenging me, because it's a waste of time.

This is what is called an ad hominem attack, because it's referring to my method of argument and not the argument itself. Also known as a smokescreen.

Go be a smartass somewhere else, preferably somewhere I'm not.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Take it to PMs, this is a good thread and I'm not going to sully it anymore, as much as I want to quote dictionaries to prove you wrong. :)

--

But seriously, good thread Ankoku, if you carry on with doing this it will be a big help to the community, but it's a tough commitment.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
y'all, this is the character rankings thread where you post tourney results and nothing else. so please.

axiomnightmare

Smash Rookie
I don't think this current method takes into account siding out. Let's say that a person wins a tournament using DDD and Metaknight. This person uses DDD for most of the time, but switches to Metaknight for DDD's bad matchups. Your system would give full points to both DDD and Metaknight. However, it is unlikely that the person could have won the tournament using just one of those characters by themselves. This system would therefore unfairly inflate the results of a character like DDD who is solid overall, but has several bad matchups. I suggest that when multiple characters are listed, you split the points evenly among all the characters that person used. This way, a character like DDD would have less inflated results, and his several bad matchups would be accounted for.

I don't think this current method takes into account siding out. Let's say that a person wins a tournament using DDD and Metaknight. This person uses DDD for most of the time, but switches to Metaknight for DDD's bad matchups. Your system would give full points to both DDD and Metaknight. However, it is unlikely that the person could have won the tournament using just one of those characters by themselves. This system would therefore unfairly inflate the results of a character like DDD who is solid overall, but has several bad matchups. I suggest that when multiple characters are listed, you split the points evenly among all the characters that person used. This way, a character like DDD would have less inflated results, and his several bad matchups would be accounted for.
IF this was the case, then wouldn't several other characters who have teriible matchups spike downwards?

Maybe.....just maybe the DDD players overcame the bad matchups?

axiomnightmare

Smash Rookie
I have no idea how the rankings will change, but I'm predicting that characters with bad matchups may move down. Nonetheless, it still seems unfair to me that whether a person uses 3 characters, or one character, each character gets the same amount of points.

I have no idea how the rankings will change, but I'm predicting that characters with bad matchups may move down. Nonetheless, it still seems unfair to me that whether a person uses 3 characters, or one character, each character gets the same amount of points.
While I can understand where your coming from, and if Ankoku is willing to make his workload even larger than what it is, then I'd be fine with it, I'm not sure if it worth another restructuring.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It is an interesting point, but meh. There will be inaccuracies in the way I interpret my data, but at this point I really don't want to start over again.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Yeah I don't blame you. However, you could start doing it now and the rest will phase out because you only include the tournaments including the last two months. Well it's your decision I guess; whatever you decide I am happy with.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'd like to propose Zelda/Sheik(S&Z) being one character, whether you use one or both, it doesn't and shouldn't matter. I see that you main Sheik and have contributed to the thread that's linked. All you, Ankoku, would have to do is add their points together to combine them into one character. Easy enough?

yet another Zelda/Sheik main that agrees with what I'm proposing and he/she will stay unnamed said:
If you pretend Zelda and Sheik don't have a down special, they'll be pretty midrange on the tier list. If you acknoqledge they do, they go up much higher.

Some games I play as Sheik, some i play as only Zelda, some i play as Sheik and Zelda. But i consider Sheik and Zelda one character in all three. I'm just using the Sheik part of the blended character for one matchup, using the Zelda part for another.

Some people only use Sheik or only use Zelda. So you could say they need their own spots on tier lists. But i think those players have just decided not to master the whole character, just the aspects they like, and their game is suffering for it. So if we put Sheik and Zelda by themselves on the tier lists and put S/Z on there too, i think that's the same as having:

*Tier List*
Snake (dash cancelled upsmash mastered)
Meta Knight
Snake (dash cancelled upsmash ignored)
G&W
Falco (able to Short Hop Double Laser)

so on.
OT-http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=178423

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
At this point the only person recorded in my tournament results as using both Sheik and Zelda was RyokoYaksa, in one tournament. I'll add in the Sheik/Zelda entry if more people show up using the team.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm proposing combining the two whether or not people use her other form.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
But that would be a completely inaccurate representation, not to mention an offense to actual dedicated mains of either character, like Justn's (I don't think he's on Smashboards) Sheik and darkmusician's Zelda. Trust me, if the Sheik/Zelda team is as great as we all think it is, it'll rise on its own in time.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm still not sure why it's innaccurate, but I'll quit talking about this. It's your chart.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
I'm still not sure why it's innaccurate, but I'll quit talking about this. It's your chart.
It's inaccurate because most people do not switch between the two, and tend to play as either one or the other, and hence why it makes sense to keep them separate. Perhaps that is a bad habit from Melee, and the true masters of the character will reach their peak by learning both and switching around between them depending on the situation; if that happens, it will make sense to combine them into one character when talking about tournament results. However, based on the reported results so far, that has not happened yet; there are many players who indeed pick only one to play at any time. According to Ankoku, who's compiling this list, only one person has ever been reported to him as using both (of the people who have placed high in the tournament results he has seen); the rest who make their way onto this list use one or the other. Until this changes, it does not make sense to combine them, ESPECIALLY not for this list. Maybe it makes sense for a tier list, maybe, but this is not a tier list anyway.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Are you sure about Ness? When I looked through the document timotee had a first place with ness adn a 7th place. That would be 34.875 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom