• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browny

Smash Hater
Mario is actually pretty good. No need to underestimate. He has true combos and some good gimps. His range isn't bad either.
yeah the first few parts are correct, but how is his range not bad? To put things into perspective, Sonic outranges marios on every single ground-based attack except usmash v usmash. And if sonic is considered to have bad range, what does that give mario?

-dMT-

Smash Lord
Mario's fsmash, and also the aerial fireball to ftilt approach works well. Sure he doesnt have the best range but its still decent

Mr.E

Smash Lord
Bored, feel like posting.

Don't underestimate Mario vs. Luigi. The Green Machine's Fireball is full of fail compared to Mario's, his lateral mobility is outright terrible (except for grounded Tornado), and the ice on his soles make it difficult for him to punish OoS. The latter two are more general weaknesses than a direct comparison to his bro, but they're still valid criticisms since Mario doesn't have those same weaknesses. It's difficult to say one is truly better than the other at this point, other than that Mario is having more tourney success.

Seems a bit of a stretch for Wario to be ranked three when he's 70 points below Dedede at the top of the "threes."

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Yeah uhhh... I wasn't sure how to process that, so I just gave Sonic all the points. XD

Gindler

Smash Champion
Mario does seem to be alot better than luigi to me. I've had luigi's try and stop to avoid an attack but luigi slides for a while when he stops during a dash for some reason (stupid error by the player maybe) often times right into a smash attack...

hyperknees91

Smash Cadet
ugh everytime I look at this list it depresses me.

It feels like you are wasting your time if you pick anyone besides MK or Snake.

hyperknees91

Smash Cadet
I'm not saying they are unbeatable (otherwise they would be banned).

I'm saying that your so much better off spending your time mastering them then any other char if you hope to win/do well at a tourny =(

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Hey guys do you think it is time to allow Europe tournaments now? Their metagame is almost caught up with ours.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
I'm not saying they are unbeatable (otherwise they would be banned).

I'm saying that your so much better off spending your time mastering them then any other char if you hope to win/do well at a tourny =(
To an extent, that's true. But I think you'll do better for the most part if you worry about tier placement (yes, I know this isn't a tier list, but you get my point) second, and worry about finding a character who's style suits you best first.

Take me. I used to main MK, but since switching over, I can safely say I do better with Lucci than I ever did and probably ever would do with Meta. He just fits me so much better.

If Snake or MK fits your style, great. And yes, sadly, they are probably broken enough that they don't even have to really fit you for you to do reasonably well with them. But it's definitely not a waste of time to main a different character, if they suit you best. You might surprise some people, and you'll have more fun that way in the end. Isn't that what games are for?

[/BlabbingbecauseI'mbored]

hyperknees91

Smash Cadet
Hmm I get what your saying, I guess I thought they were a bit more unbalanced than that.

I was thinking that even if mk and snake don't fit your style (they don't fit mine either) you'll still perform better with them than if you played with a char that did fit your style given you put the same amount of training time in both.

That's the main reason I thought it was a waste of time to use anyone or master anyone else, but I guess if people really are doing better with chars that fit their style than that's fine.

Yeah I am all about having fun really, I feel that tournies are a means to test your skills. But going to a tourny full of mk's and snake's feels like your given less cards if you main someone else =(

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
Yeah I am all about having fun really, I feel that tournies are a means to test your skills. But going to a tourny full of mk's and snake's feels like your given less cards if you main someone else =(
If tournaments are about testing your skills, then shouldn't you just be concerned about making more out of your cards? Look at professional poker players. They get unlucky pretty often, but they still win more tournaments. Because they're better.

Now, granted, if you could choose to have better cards you would, but it's far from being unwinnable if you don't choose Snake or MK. Also, you tend to do better if you're having more fun. I firmly stand by this opinion. If Snake/MK bore you to the point where you are not having fun anymore, then a different character is almost certainly better.

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
Luigi is better than Mario because of his killing power. Mario has to rely on gimping to make up for it and with characters with great recoveries, gimping isn't very effective.

hyperknees91

Smash Cadet
If tournaments are about testing your skills, then shouldn't you just be concerned about making more out of your cards? Look at professional poker players. They get unlucky pretty often, but they still win more tournaments. Because they're better.

Now, granted, if you could choose to have better cards you would, but it's far from being unwinnable if you don't choose Snake or MK. Also, you tend to do better if you're having more fun. I firmly stand by this opinion. If Snake/MK bore you to the point where you are not having fun anymore, then a different character is almost certainly better.

Like you said it's all about being better. Unfortunately being the sonic/ike main I am, my only choice is to not only be better than the snake/mk players I face, but alot better.

Unfortunately it's rather tough to have fun when your at such a disadvantage, maybe not the biggest disadvantage you could be at but a pretty big one nonetheless.

Also PrinceMarth killing power isn't the only thing that makes a character. Especially when luigi himself is very easy to kill, it doesn't really make up for it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
This isn't Poker. Unlike Poker, you choose the "cards" you play with. This is more similar to playing a game of Magic: the Gathering. Sure, you can go "rogue" with some underplayed character, but chances are that character is underplayed because he/she is subpar. Whether or not you are able to make the most of your relatively limited resources is up to you.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
This isn't Poker. Unlike Poker, you choose the "cards" you play with. This is more similar to playing a game of Magic: the Gathering. Sure, you can go "rogue" with some underplayed character, but chances are that character is underplayed because he/she is subpar. Whether or not you are able to make the most of your relatively limited resources is up to you.
Skyshroud said:
Now, granted, if you could choose to have better cards you would
Agreed that Magic is a better analogy though.

@Hyperknees: I still stand by the idea that you ultimately end up better by choosing a character you have more fun with. You know that Snake/MK are better than your mains, yet you still play them? I guess it all depends on your drive and how much you enjoy challenges. Also, it depends on your goals too. Do you want to be the best in your area, or, however unlikely, the best in the world. I would think that the answer to this question would change your character choice. Those looking to be the best period usually have a strong competitive drive, so much that they will do anything to win. It is much easier to be satisfied with a weaker character if your goals aren't so lofty. I guess it depends on whether or not you gauge how fun something is by how much you win.

hyperknees91

Smash Cadet
Heh unfortunately it's because of this unbalance and lack of depth that I had to stop playing the game competively.

It feels like the only AT in this game is to play as one of the top 10 (not true I know), and it just failed to appeal to me.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
I roll Sonic and Ness. I can't go a competitive match without being chain-grabbed or infinited. That kills a lot of the fun for me, LEE COUGH COUGH, ugh. Yeah, I think it wouldn't be as unreasonable to start trying soft-bans.

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
Also PrinceMarth killing power isn't the only thing that makes a character. Especially when luigi himself is very easy to kill, it doesn't really make up for it.
Well duh but Luigi's recovery is better than Mario's too. If you mean weight then the difference is only 1%. Mario and Luigi are very similar and Luigi being able to kill much easier is why he's the better of the two. If kill power was the only thing that mattered then Ike would be number one.

hyperknees91

Smash Cadet
weight has nothing to do with it. Luigi is naturally floaty and leaves himself wide open more than Mario.

Mario is at least agile enough to not constantly be in danger of getting pounded (which only comes because of his low priority/low range moves).

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
All of Luigi's attacks killing 10-20% sooner certainly makes up for the fact that he's less agile. In fact, his better recovery makes up for it alone. It's not like Luigi's attacks are slower either. They're the same speed. Fire jump Punch also gives Luigi incredible potential because any little opening is all he needs. Mario can't do that. He can only kill at early percents by gimping and as I said earlier, that doesn't work well on characters with great recoveries.

You may think I'm biased because I use Luigi but I've studied both characters thoroughly. If I felt Mario was better, I would use him. I have no loyalties.

hyperknees91

Smash Cadet
Then why aren't you using mk if you have no loyalties =P

Meh I'm not saying like mario is that much better (pretty much barely better at all), but I think luigi just is too **** floaty for his own good.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
(TWO WEEKS AND TEN MINUTES AGO; GIVE ME A BREAK, AS I GOT LOST FOR A LITTLE WHILE)

Waba Games tournament; August 19, $10 Entry Fee; 22 entrants.

1st: Reflex (Pokemon Trainer)
2nd: Desu (Dedede)
3rd: Kismet (Falco)
4th: Biglou (Luigi)
5th: Ice (Zelda)
5th: Dynomite (Meta Knight/Marth)

...We didn't get any more than that. He never posts an actual results thread, but there is the main thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160978&page=50

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
(TWO WEEKS AND TEN MINUTES AGO; GIVE ME A BREAK, AS I GOT LOST FOR A LITTLE WHILE)

Waba Games tournament; August 19, $10 Entry Fee; 22 entrants.

1st: Reflex (Pokemon Trainer)
2nd: Desu (Dedede)
3rd: Kismet (Falco)
4th: Biglou (Luigi)
5th: Ice (Zelda)
5th: Dynomite (Meta Knight/Marth)

...We didn't get any more than that. He never posts an actual results thread, but there is the main thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160978&page=50
Go Weegee :chuckle:.

goodkid

Smash Lord
Ness, Lucas, PT, & Toon Link will go up eventually when more people learn how to use them properly.

Ness & Lucas are great characters with good killing power, & lots of techniques with PK Thunder. Many people overlook them because of their recovery, which is not that bad once you learn how to control it.

PT & Toon Link are underated. Both are really versatile & adaptable with their playstyles.

hyperknees91

Smash Cadet
I don't think anyone good is going to bother. Maybe they can move them up in tournies if good people mained them, but why would they even try when maining someone like mk just gives so many more benefits and higher chances at winning =/

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anyone good is going to bother. Maybe they can move them up in tournies if good people mained them, but why would they even try when maining someone like mk just gives so many more benefits and higher chances at winning =/
That's a horrible attitude.

Skyshroud

Smash Ace
I don't know, maybe because they like using other characters? No offense, but people with this kind of attitude are the reason that many characters are under-represented. Look at Chudat. He does just fine with Kirby, who happens to not be either Snake or MK. Oh, and Azen uses Lucario, who also isn't Snake or MK. Huh, weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom