• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

gantrain05

Smash Master
I don't know, maybe because they like using other characters? No offense, but people with this kind of attitude are the reason that many characters are under-represented. Look at Chudat. He does just fine with Kirby, who happens to not be either Snake or MK. Oh, and Azen uses Lucario, who also isn't Snake or MK. Huh, weird.
yeah, i agree, when i play smash i like to look for the potential in a character, instead of just picking one up that everybody already knows is broken (MK), i main lucas, ness, and peach, and all 3 of them are very underrated, and at first when i started using them i was getting owned hardcore by metas and snakes. After a few months of practice i actually place very well in tournies, and i do beat snakes and MK's, they still beat me too, but its not so one-sided anymore.

hyperknees91

Smash Cadet
I don't know, maybe because they like using other characters? No offense, but people with this kind of attitude are the reason that many characters are under-represented. Look at Chudat. He does just fine with Kirby, who happens to not be either Snake or MK. Oh, and Azen uses Lucario, who also isn't Snake or MK. Huh, weird.

I'm not saying there won't be exceptions (if there wasn't this game would suck). Obviously I hope the players who are truly better than other people can win with tourny viable people.

Don't think brawl is alone on this though. I'm not saying that at all.

In MVC2 the majority of people aren't going to waste their time playing anyone but Sentinal/Magneto/Storm and Cable.

Same goes for SF3 third strike with ken, yun, and chunli. That games more balanced than brawl, and yet that's pretty much all you'll see just because they win. I could go on but that's usually how it goes.

Since most people go with the "play to win" mindset I just can't see that many people even attempting anyone outside of the top 8, much less producing results with them.

gantrain05

Smash Master
I'm not saying there won't be exceptions (if there wasn't this game would suck). Obviously I hope the players who are truly better than other people can win with tourny viable people.

Don't think brawl is alone on this though. I'm not saying that at all.

In MVC2 the majority of people aren't going to waste their time playing anyone but Sentinal/Magneto/Storm and Cable.

Same goes for SF3 third strike with ken, yun, and chunli. I could go on but that's usually how it goes.

Since most people go with the "play to win" mindset I just can't see that many people even attempting anyone outside of the top 8, much less producing results with them.
thats because people like you are the ones who play to win, and when those people go to tournies they only pick top 8 characters, its not that the other characters are bad, its that they have the odds stacked against them when probably 70-80% of players play the top 8 and the other 20-30% of people are playing one of the other THIRTY characters left, now you tell me how thats even close to a level playing field. you can't get very accurate results with that kind of data.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Why would you play to do anything except win in a tournament, unless you were playing to not lose?

gantrain05

Smash Master
Why would you play to do anything except win in a tournament, unless you were playing to not lose?
well i kinda get carried away, i didn't do a great job of getting my point across, what i was TRYING to say is, there are more tourney viable characters than just the top 8, its just that not many people think that way.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It doesn't matter if there are more tournament viable characters if they feel the top characters are their best chances of winning.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Tournament: PAX
Attendace: 256

1st: Valdens (G&W)
2nd: Praxis (Peach)
4th: ? (MK)
4th: ? (Wolf)
8th: Rohins (Samus)
8th: Zeionut (Snake)
8th: Vista (G&W / Wolf)

Yeah it was single elim.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Tournament: PAX
Attendace: 256

1st: Valdens (G&W)
2nd: Praxis (Peach)
4th: ? (MK)
4th: ? (Wolf)
8th: Rohins (Samus)
8th: Zeionut (Snake)
8th: Vista (G&W / Wolf)

Yeah it was single elim.
hellz yeah, another top 2 peach, i think people are starting to get the princess fever!!

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
(TWO WEEKS AND TEN MINUTES AGO; GIVE ME A BREAK, AS I GOT LOST FOR A LITTLE WHILE)

Waba Games tournament; August 19, $10 Entry Fee; 22 entrants.

1st: Reflex (Pokemon Trainer)
2nd: Desu (Dedede)
3rd: Kismet (Falco)
4th: Biglou (Luigi)
5th: Ice (Zelda)
5th: Dynomite (Meta Knight/Marth)

...We didn't get any more than that. He never posts an actual results thread, but there is the main thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160978&page=50

Yay! Luigi actually placed in a tourney!

Levitas

the moon
PAX = lose, I wonder how much money the directors walked away with. A MINIMUM of 256 x $30 = $7680 and like a $600 payout? WTF?!?!?!?

So did they run like 10 tournaments to make up for it? and then they're still making a grand.

Edit: ok, though pax was just a tournament w/o anything else...

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Wario at #3 by quite a bit is rather scary. Looks like people can actually work around his infinites.

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
Wario at #3 by quite a bit is rather scary. Looks like people can actually work around his infinites.
It's funny you should say that. I was at a tournament yesterday, and I played a bunch of matches Vs. characters that can infinite/grab release Wario, and it didn't happen once. Either people don't know about it, or they are just really, really cool people.

asob4

Smash Champion
AxisGaming - West Coast Majors
$20 entrance
302 Entrants
Emeryville, CA
August 30, 2008

1. DSF - Meteknight/Snake
2. Futile - Wario
3. Plank -Metaknight
4. SK92 - Falco
5. Aero - King DeDeDe/Metaknight
5. TC1 - Diddy Kong
7. ShadowROB - ROB
7. 3Inch - Snake

hyperknees91

Smash Cadet
Too bad winning 3 tournies is just too pale in comparison =/

In fact wario only winning 10 tournies is pale in comparison.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I remember saying one day Falco will get A rank, and he went above Marth/G&W! :)

I'm also happy that Wolf and Luigi are getting better and better

Yonder

NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'm also happy that Wolf Luigi are getting better and better
I don't pay attention to Wolf much, but you said Luigi's results are getting better? They have actually plummeted from his once good C rank, and now he's juts despretly trying to get that C rank back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom