• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
If they combined Ness' aerials with Lucas' ground game, specials and recovery, you would have a solid character.

Levitas

the moon
The only special ness has that's better is PKT, and that's only when he's not recovering.

I happen to like 3 of lucas's aerials better than ness's.

There''s very little that puts one up any significant amount over the other.

The biggest difference that might make Ness better is matchups on high/top tiers, and I have a hard time believing that Ness's top tier matches are much easier if at all. Granted, 90% of dedicated ness players will insist that he's evenish against them (lol)

Frown

poekmon
The only special ness has that's better is PKT, and that's only when he's not recovering.

I happen to like 3 of lucas's aerials better than ness's.

There''s very little that puts one up any significant amount over the other.

The biggest difference that might make Ness better is matchups on high/top tiers, and I have a hard time believing that Ness's top tier matches are much easier if at all. Granted, 90% of dedicated ness players will insist that he's evenish against them (lol)
But Ness' PK fire destroys big characters, and you never use either of their B or down B moves, unless your opponent is crappy.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Why are we arguing about ness and lucas in this thread? Your opinions on who is better don't make one bit of difference to the actual results that are produced by these characters.

Stop spamming this thread.

Levitas

the moon
Ken, your post is even less relevant. Besides, what are we gonna talk about? the fact that MI is finally starting to place in good tournaments? Or maybe that 4.5/8 in the placings were MK?

As far as Ness's pk fire goes, it's slower, has a worse trajectory in most circumstances, doesn't zone as well, and while large characters do get hurt more, they still get away without being hit by a followup if you didn't catch their center while they were in landing lag.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
But Ness' PK fire destroys big characters, and you never use either of their B or down B moves, unless your opponent is crappy.
Try getting off PK Fire consistently on a good D3, see where that gets you. There's a reason nobody uses these characters at high levels of play.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
As someone who actually uses one of those top tier characters and knows Ness and Lucas pretty well, I could explain why Ness is way, way better (most Ness players don't even play him right on a really fundamental level), but this topic really isn't the place. I think the Ness/Lucas people who promote their equality do a better job of sabotaging Ness than promoting either character, but again I don't want to go in depth on this here. If someone makes a topic on it in a more reasonable place (like either the Ness or the Lucas board) I'll explain as I see them in depth how the two compare and what's actually good about both (they are pretty different in the end which is perhaps the funniest part), but like I've said several times this topic isn't the place for this sort of argument.

Ness has made a little movement upward; I wonder if it's the start of a trend or just an anomaly.

Levitas

the moon
Those topics have happened before. They don't really work out.

I still don't believe you that ness is necessarily better.

Edit: on second thought, it'd be fun to go through that again. If you're interested enough to make that thread, make it on the lucas boards and I'll try to keep people civil.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
TOURNAMENT: TCS IV
LINK: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=220306
DATE: February 7, 2009
LOCALE: Southeast (AL)
ENTRANTS: 35
ENTRY: $10.00
RESULTS:
1. moogle (split) (Fox) $152
1. DanGR (split) (Olimar) $152
3. Who? (Snake) $35
4. theONEjanitor (Snake)
5. 3GOD (Wario/Lucas)
5. nice1 (Falco)
7. pops (Toon Link)
7. munkus (Metaknight)

Also, we had a low tier tourney as well. The results of that are in the link if you're interested.
Having only toon link listed is kind of surreal. I'm still reluctant to call that thing a main. I hate wind waker. So much. so much.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Ken, your post is even less relevant. Besides, what are we gonna talk about?
Are you being serious right now? Since when does there HAVE to be constant discussion in this thread? The purpose of this thread is to post tourney results for Ankoku's list. This is NOT the place to spam arguments on which character is better, or any other crap like that. The more you people spam, the more work Ankoku has to do to even find the results he needs.

Take these lame arguments about characters that don't really matter somewhere else.

Levitas

the moon
I'm sitting in the same room as ankoku right now. He hasn't seemed to mind the last time these kind of discussions happened in his thread.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Woot thanks Fogo for posting the first tournament I've gotten first in. yay G&W.

Eventually I'll start winning more often. Just have to learn the MK matchup.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Fine I'll debate Levitas as to why Ness is better than Lucas. He has better matchups vs. the top tier characters. Like the only one that I can think of that Lucas might be better at is DDD, and he isn't even that bad if you're good at camping the side of the stage and avoiding being grabbed (that's actually all he can do lol).

The only aerial I can see Lucas having better is the nair. It's not even that lethal once you learn how to di out of it lol. His dair is better than Ness' at stopping juggling, but that's easy to avoid anyways and Ness' dair is a much better meteor. Ness' has a better fair and bair. Their uairs are used for different purposes but Lucas' uair is a piece a crap since there are no combos in this game.

Lucas' pk fire is semi-spammable but it's not that great. Ness' pk fire is ok for edgeguarding/ randomly doing it against people when you're being edgeguarded.

Ness' pkt is better.

Ness' psi magnet doesn't have a hitbox but has more range.

I also don't see where this awesome ground game is of Lucas'. Their up-tilts are used for the same purposes, but Lucas can combo with his somewhat. Ness' d-tilt is better than Lucas'. Lucas has the better f-tilt but Ness can do what Lucas' f-tilt does with his fair.

Lucas has the better f-smash. Ness has the (much) better u-smash. I think their d-smashes have the same amount of usefulness.

Lucas has a much better recovery, but then again, he's also a little lighter. He falls faster as well.

I assume that you think Lucas has the better uair, nair, and dair.

Levitas

the moon
Sage, lets take this somewhere else. Ken's right that we shouldn't do an extended debate here. Post up either a thread or put it in a thread and pm me where it is.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I'm sitting in the same room as ankoku right now. He hasn't seemed to mind the last time these kind of discussions happened in his thread.
Sage, lets take this somewhere else. Ken's right that we shouldn't do an extended debate here. Post up either a thread or put it in a thread and pm me where it is.
Conspiracy? I think not.

k lol.

Levitas

the moon
Yeah. I'm still sitting in the same room as him, and he's now starting to laugh at me lol.

In any event, I was hoping to lead you into some unlit slummy inner-city back alley called the lucas boards so we could mug you, but I guess I'll do it here in the broad daylight.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Yeah. I'm still sitting in the same room as him, and he's now starting to laugh at me lol.

In any event, I was hoping to lead you into some unlit slummy inner-city back alley called the lucas boards so we could mug you, but I guess I'll do it here in the broad daylight.
The lucas boards are scary, they'll gang up on you in 2 minutes.

I tried running but I tripped. They began to beat me up and on top of that they threw me into the trash can once they were done. Luckily Ness my old every smash game buddy ran up to check the trash can and found me. He took me straight to the hospital. He even paid the bill.

That is why I decided not to secondary Lucas.

Plus my Ness has always been good enough not to need a secondary... At least in my eyes.

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
The lucas boards are scary, they'll gang up on you in 2 minutes.

I tried running but I tripped. They began to beat me up and on top of that they threw me into the trash can once they were done. Luckily Ness my old every smash game buddy ran up to check the trash can and found me. He took me straight to the hospital. He even paid the bill. .
Wait a minute-
that was you!?

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Luckily Ness my old every smash game buddy ran up to check the trash can and found a hamburger and proceeded to devour it.
Fixeded.

Don't mess with Lucas Boards. We'll
ing cut you, eh.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
No he actually found me...

His inventory was full anyway..

He carried me in his hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.