• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Again: ADHD makes the switch to Diddy after losing.

It's not an insta-win, it's just tiring.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
i'm curious(and will probably be flamed for asking this question)would a smogon approach to villager's customs be a suitable one?

lol i'm gonna be flamed to a crisp

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
And so, ADHD was justice'd. It's nice to see that Villager's camping is not unbeatable.

And I really didn't mind ADHD's actual camping. I hated his (supposed) reason for it. If you don't like customs, intentionally trolling tournaments is not the way to argue against them.

Unless of course it's not because ADHD doesn't like customs in which case I look like a silly biscuit.

Also, Dabuz just ended two stocks in 1:30
"Dabuz is campy" -Silly People in the Stream Chat 2015

And literally seconds after I edit, the chat changes its mind

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
i'm curious(and will probably be flamed for asking this question)would a smogon approach to villager's customs be a suitable one?

no thats rediculous nothing about that villager set says unbeatable.

Last edited:

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430

Nah, people will only use this strategy as long as it enables them to win, and as has been demonstrated, it is by no means invincible. We'll see it less as we go along and more people get better at facing it.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
The solution to ADHD's villager: Delfino, Skyloft, Wuhu.
With only ONE legal at most tournaments and many tournaments running TWO bans. Maybe the folks who wanted more stages legal were on to something.
Again: ADHD makes the switch to Diddy after losing.

It's not an insta-win, it's just tiring.
Someone needs to take this boy (Villager/ADHD) on a Isle Delfino vacation. I heard he likes to control space too much, likes to live on the edge, and has an explosive temper. :4villager:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
smogon quickbanned things for being unbeatable. they had a suspect process for stuff that had a negative effect on the metagame.

what exactly constitutes a negative effect on the metagame? i dont have as much experience here as i do on smogon, and thats why im asking you guys.

edit: a common misconception people seem to have is that they banned stuff for the sole reason they were broken. thats not the case. greninja was countered by porygon2 100%. genesect(most of the time at least)was beaten by heatran. cofagrigus beat mega kangaskhan. does that mean these pokemon werent broken? no. just because answers exist doesnt mean that said move/pokemon doesnt exert a negative influence on the metagame

why did i take it here....

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
smogon quickbanned things for being unbeatable. they had a suspect process for stuff that had a negative effect on the metagame.

what exactly constitutes a negative effect on the metagame? i dont have as much experience here as i do on smogon, and thats why im asking you guys.

edit: a common misconception people seem to have is that they banned stuff for the sole reason they were broken. thats not the case.
most people here hate smogons banning processes.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
exactly what makes it bad? its not an oligarchy. its not some secret society of individuals that decide the metagame. you just have to prove you're knowledgeable enough to vote, and then you can vote.

Last edited:

Timbers

check me out
Is it fair to say Custom camping as Villager is... a GIMMICK???
I don't know how quickly I'd discard customs Villager. I honestly doubt ADHD put even a decent amount of time into the character and their customs if he was doing this as only a publicity stunt. Naturally, the same could be said about his opponents not having put time into learning how to play against customs Villager. We'll see~

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I heard ADHD was doing this as a protest to customs being allowed at EVO. If so, he's not doing anything with this. EVEN if nothing gets discovered for more characters that allows them to handle the power that is Explosive Balloon Trip, WORST CASE Explosive Balloon Trip gets banned and not custom moves as a whole. (Like it should be)

Just making sure people know this.
*sigh* another top player attempting to influence ruleset. Instead of letting the metagame play it self out. If you don't like customs don't play in custom tournaments. I really hope the scene continues to give customs their fair shot.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
exactly what makes it bad? its not an oligarchy. its not some secret society of individuals that decide the metagame. you just have to prove you're knowledgeable enough to vote, and then you can vote.
most people dont like complain to ban.
mega mawile really?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
The ledge camping is a gimmick, the moves themselves are not. When players lab it they'll break it.
Okay then break it. We should always look to refine and push what our character is capable of. What's the point of speculating banning things without an impact on the metagame.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Just out of curiosity, where would you place super armor on heavies?
I think all the heavies should have Bowser's "Tough Guy" trait, first and foremost. I think that would be good starting point when it comes to balance. Seriously, I don't even play as Ganondorf but the fact he doesn't have this absolutely baffles me. The guy is in command of the Triforce of Power and in most games light arrows are the only thing that can really even stun him and think this should be reflect more in Smash.

In future Smash games, I would also like to see the heavies not only have more super armor moves but also the ability to bury people with more moves. For example, Ganon's dair and Bowser Jr's dsmash just make too much sense as burying moves.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
I think all the heavies should have Bowser's "Tough Guy" trait, first and foremost. I think that would be good starting point when it comes to balance. Seriously, I don't even play as Ganondorf but the fact he doesn't have this absolutely baffles me. The guy is in command of the Triforce of Power and in most games light arrows are the only thing that can really even stun him and think this should be reflect more in Smash.

In future Smash games, I would also like to see the heavies not only have more super armor moves but also the ability to bury people with more moves. For example, Ganon's dair and Bowser Jr's dsmash just make too much sense as burying moves.
To be honest, Ganondorf gets way too much mileage off of landing a grounded D-air already. It's hitstun is insane and can lead to guaranteed footstools (AFAIK). Burying would be worse for him.

I think that giving Heavies super armor on the startup of their D-airs would be plausible. The heavies don't use D-airs as often in edgeguarding, few aerials offstage can defensively challenge to begin with, and it would work well against juggles. Don't you go juggling heavies unless you want to get dunked.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
i never thought super armor should be the answer for heavys. like it works but my personal prefference is that they get no shelid knock back so they have way more oportunities to punish unsafe attacks.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Watching the stream I can say this with confidence. Do NOT agree to Smashville against Mii Brawler. It is probably his single best stage. Just strike it and... literally anywhere else, and you're going to have a better time.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Watching the stream I can say this with confidence. Do NOT agree to Smashville against Mii Brawler. It is probably his single best stage. Just strike it and... literally anywhere else, and you're going to have a better time.
Lol Battlefield works just fine for Brawler. He either gets Pistons off platforms, or Helicopters off platforms.

Last edited:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Zelda has Din's Fire to snipe Villedgers, Nayru's Love to reflect projectiles, and Phantom Slash to... be there

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Lol Battlefield works just fine for Brawler. He either gets Pistons off platforms, or Helicopters off platforms.
The main issue is that SV's platform moves over the edge, and that just magnifies Helicopter Kick kills. BF's platforms can help make Helicopter Kick safer, but they do not allow it to kill any earlier. Also, if you run Piston Punch, the only way to really force a hit -> kill on a platform is to land a low percent grab... and no one is going to let you do that on a platform if they know the mechanic is present.

Assuming EVO's five starter list, against a Brawler I'd strike SV first and then either BF or T&C depending on the preferences of my character (with Rosa I'd strike T&C, but if I mained like... Sonic, I'd strike BF instead). I recommend against agreeing to SV for most players in general, but against Brawler, I see it as an extra bad idea.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Nairo's techs though

Is there really any difference between Helicopter Kick and ZSS's Up-B? I've seen early kills on both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom