• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
sup falco mains I finally found a way to consistenly get the perfect landing on fast fire bird but isn't as useful as the ground version of the falco somersault but its much easier.
we all know falco can perform a perfect landing by landing right after the end of falco's somersault, this can be done by doing an angled input of fast fire bird but honestly the direction is really strict and its not easy to do.
the perfect landing will end in falco landing with no lagg and carrying the momentum from the fast fire bird making falco to get attacks instantly with increased range right after landing.
Today I found a way to consistently get the aerial version of the falco somersault perfect landing with no difficult inputs just short hop double jump with falco right after the animation of the second jump start input fast firebird to the side, this will end with falco performing a falco somersault and landing perfectly ready to attack or grab.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Can't 100% guarantee this, but I bet at some point Smashboards will have an official tier list they recognize. I know my tier lists on reddit really do have issues, but at least it can hold us over for the time being. Once Mewtwo comes out if nothing really big happens I'll organize a serious effort to get things done alongside the monthly voted stuff.
Your tier lists do not hold us over at all, they are glorified popularity tests. Your lists mean nothing and are nowhere near objective enough. They value character popularity above all else. Sorry to disappoint, but I'm 100% sure anyone half-informed about the game shares the same opinion.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Jr.'s effective weight is Charizard's (115).
His true weight via data mining is Samus' (108).

Not sure why people don't just click over to the academy unless they're on mobile or have dial-up.

RE @SmashCapps Reddit Tier Lists: They're inaccurate representations of the metagame, but they are somewhat accurate representations of how the "spectators" of Smash 4 see the metagame. A very valuable thing, if the more knowledgeable community wants to try and educate the less knowledgeable. This is the same with the Smashboards community tier list.

Meanwhile, tier lists that are generated by players who have success in high level play are generally considered more accurate, but there is not one that is without holes. Shi-G's tier list is interesting, as it takes ideas from 10 players and puts them together. However, I'm sure the Japanese community does not take that tier list to be their bible, because even top players do not know the lesser played matchups in the game. If you don't actually know how Zelda does vs ZSS, what justification do you have for putting her last in a tier list? Because others do?

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
Anyways a small video where it shows how much distance falco travels after getting a perfect landing after somersault, usmash is first then 2 dsmash, I've been trying this for 3 hours and my success rate of getting this right is like 70%.
I can do the grounded version too but it's much harder.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Rock vs Emperor Penguin is 7-3 if Rock is feeling merciful.

Or he has a computer virus.

Any other time it's legit 9-1.

You will NOT win a set vs a competent opponent.

EVER

It's 8:2 at the worst, dude. 9:1 virtually means I can't press any buttons at all when I clearly can.

I know I'm kinda splitting hairs here because it's unwinnable no matter which way you slice it, but a ratio like 9:1 is hyperbole. lol

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
So I'm curious to hear all your thoughts on what characters you think would compliment Oli as a sub main, like which characters best cover his weaknesses.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
:4megaman:vs:4dedede: = Germany vs Brazil
Oh man I laughed so hard that day. I was following the results through my computer and at first I saw it was 1-0 and I was like "Huh, well I guess they can still make a comeback, it just started" then I went to do my own things and then a couple minutes later I looked at it and then it was 3-0 and I was like "Wut."

That was probably my favorite day of the World Cup. That probably shows just how much I care about soccer.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
The clown car takes reduced damage (and by extension knockback), while hitting his body directly causes bonus damage.

I'm a little fuzzy on the numbers but I think it's something like x0.88 if the car's hit and x1.15 if Bowser Jr's hit
Perhaps that explains that weird video a few months back where a Rosalina killed a Bowser Jr. at like 20% with an Up-Tilt on Final Destination. I suggested several factors that may have contributed to it: Rage, move freshness, bad DI... But this mechanic may further explain what happened. Too bad I can't find the video.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
So whats so bad about Megaman vs DDD? I know pellets send gordos back, but assuming the DDD is smart enough to not use gordos, whats so tragic for DDD that isn't also tragic for DK, Bowser, charizard etc.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Perhaps that explains that weird video a few months back where a Rosalina killed a Bowser Jr. at like 20% with an Up-Tilt on Final Destination. I suggested several factors that may have contributed to it: Rage, move freshness, bad DI... But this mechanic may further explain what happened. Too bad I can't find the video.
Yeah, Luma's utilt hits Bowser Jr.'s body instead of the clown car. This video, right? It was a combination of factors:

Lavani said:
  1. Luma's sweetspot utilt has very high base knockback (120)
  2. Rosalina had 110% worth of rage
  3. knockback increases by x1.2 when you're hit while charging a smash.
  4. Death without the black lightning graphic suggests bad DI.
  5. Luma hit Bowser Jr. instead of the car, so x1.15 damage+more knockback.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
So whats so bad about Megaman vs DDD? I know pellets send gordos back, but assuming the DDD is smart enough to not use gordos, whats so tragic for DDD that isn't also tragic for DK, Bowser, charizard etc.
King DeDeDe is overall the slowest heavy, meaning that he will have the toughest time trying to get in on Mega Man while MM can just keep pelting him from a distance and has an easier time running away from him in comparison to the other heavies.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
i can say that bowsers tough guys does mean somthing.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Recently been trying out Falco. I honestly don't see how someone with such good frame data and grab game can really be THAT bad. I think he's average. Bair is seriously dangerous, even coming from DK's Bair. His up air combos from up throw and kills, he can use shine for spacing and stuff and perfect pivot down tilt helps with spacing too (Gimr hit the lab with that one. He uses it regularly). I just think you gotta bait and punish with him instead of trying to rush people down or zone with lasers. Seriously, those days are gone. Now, it's baiting and punishing with Falco. And edgeguarding. With customs, Falco becomes pretty viable if you ask me.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Recently been trying out Falco. I honestly don't see how someone with such good frame data and grab game can really be THAT bad. I think he's average. Bair is seriously dangerous, even coming from DK's Bair. His up air combos from up throw and kills, he can use shine for spacing and stuff and perfect pivot down tilt helps with spacing too (Gimr hit the lab with that one. He uses it regularly). I just think you gotta bait and punish with him instead of trying to rush people down or zone with lasers. Seriously, those days are gone. Now, it's baiting and punishing with Falco. And edgeguarding. With customs, Falco becomes pretty viable if you ask me.
fast fire bird wants a word with that no rush down playstyle.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
It should be noted that if you DI upwards, you increase the knockback you take. Generally, when you DI any move that gives horizontal knockback, you want to DI towards the stage. You only want to DI upwards to avoid attack strings as much as possible (such as with Diddy's D-throw to U-air).

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
It should be noted that if you DI upwards, you increase the knockback you take. Generally, when you DI any move that gives horizontal knockback, you want to DI towards the stage. You only want to DI upwards to avoid attack strings as much as possible (such as with Diddy's D-throw to U-air).
Not going to lie, I have no idea what to make of the DI mechanics in this game.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
General rules for DI is:

-If you get hit horizontally, DI towards the stage.
-If you get hit vertically, DI away from your opponent and downwards.

The only real baffling part about DI is the vectoring which makes DI super weird in comparison to the rest of the series (but not nearly as broken as momentum canceling). Once you understand it though it's extremely helpful for minimizing the damage from combo characters. For example, it makes ZSS's Up-B death combos significantly less viable (DI towards her to make the Up-B miss. If you're caught in it, DI downwards to not die at sub 90% on FD), and I constantly manage to live over 130% given I don't get bopped by something really nasty.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
That's pretty awesome falco is looking pretty sweet with customs. Can you use that move to tech chase after any of falco's throws and does it ledge cancel?
the ground version of the ffb perfect landing slide can be used for tech chase, too bad I haven't found a way to do the ground version consistently.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
One comment regarding all this talk of heavies:

In general, the single best answer for fixing the matchup skill-skew naturally caused by the speed and juggle weaknesses of heavies is carefully placed super armor.

It's frustrating unless done precisely, though. (See Kong Cyclone)

I lied, two comments:

A handicap of heavies unique to Smash Bros. is the design of "FFA moves" in their movesets. Since these are usually specials, this is why we see heavies benefiting the most on average from customs--trading in their dubious FFA specials for 1v1-focused moves.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Little Mac's armor to me seems like something you don't rely in, rather something you have as a backup to keep yourself anchored.

So in that sense, his smash attacks feel like pseudo-counter moves to me, at least when I fight against him.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Kind of relevant, but according to Sakurai in an interview that came out this morning regarding the Mewtwo DLC (and I'm quoting him here) he's coming "soon"

Leave it to Sakurai to be all vague about everything. Anyways, we get a new stage from this update, so that's fun, even though it's basically a glorified battlefield. What else... tournament mode is pretty hype. Not that I expect it to be used by the competitive community, for a multitude of reasons, but the main reason I'm excited for it is that it gives an alternative to For Glory that actually shows how I stack up against others. So yeah. Can't wait for literally everyone to become a Mewtwo main for like a week.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I recommend taking advantage of the NewTwo's online to get a general idea of his weaknesses, like i already sort of know that he'll be a tall and light character based on Melee.

Even though the NewTwo's on day 1 will suck its better than nothing i suppose.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Well a lot of the complaints about Heavies have centered around "What's the point of doing 15% per hit when your opponent can get 50% off a frame-tight combo" since Heavies get juggled so hard. While super armor on Smashes would be nice, it doesn't really help with juggling.

And super armor on Aerials would be the jankiest jank to ever jank. Heavies can outright kill you from 50% with an aerial offstage. Even just having armor on start-up would be ridiculous.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Well a lot of the complaints about Heavies have centered around "What's the point of doing 15% per hit when your opponent can get 50% off a frame-tight combo" since Heavies get juggled so hard. While super armor on Smashes would be nice, it doesn't really help with juggling.

And super armor on Aerials would be the jankiest jank to ever jank. Heavies can outright kill you from 50% with an aerial offstage. Even just having armor on start-up would be ridiculous.
Well, if Bowser had super armor on, say, his down special then basically no one could juggle him ever unless it was a true combo. It would also become a terrifying move in general in that your only option to avoid it is to GTFO since it already breaks shields.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I'm curious to see how Mewtwo's teleport is gonna be in this game. If it is a good move with minimal lag and can be acted out of, he'll have one of the best movement abilities in the game.

I realise the character has yet to be released, but speculation hype is real

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
I'm curious to see how Mewtwo's teleport is gonna be in this game. If it is a good move with minimal lag and can be acted out of, he'll have one of the best movement abilities in the game.

I realize the character has yet to be released, but speculation hype is real
Not to mention, he will have custom moves.

CUSTOM TELEPORTS

CUSTOM SHADOW BALLS

AN ACTUAL DOWN B AND SIDE B THAT AREN'T WORTHLESS (HOPEFULLY)

HYPE :mewtwopm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom