• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Im not going to go into detail because, frankly I dont have the time, but Yoshi has one of the best neutrals in the game, there is ABSOLUTELY no doubt about it. Mobility mixed with a fantastic and safe air game full of autocancels, an unclankable, aimable projectile that allows Yoshi free movement, follow ups, and shield pressure when thrown while shorthopping, an air grab that also can cover landings and has one of, if not THE best b reverse and wavebounce applications of any special move in the game, fast, decently ranged tilts with disjoints, and traps for days. If you cant see those options as being absolutely fantastic at neutral, I have no words.

Last edited:

Chuva

Smash Apprentice
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does Greninja's grab actually have above-average endlag? I thought it only had significant startup lag.
You are correct, his endlag is on par with most non-tether grabs. My point was that both characters have some kind of problem relying on grabs at certain circunstances (although Greninja's grab is still considerably better than ZSS's, even at the start-up).

To be honest though that's only a problem at CQC range for Greninja. His dash-grab is much more legit (it's only 1 frame slower than Diddy's dash-grab)

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
I still don't have problems getting regular throws with yoshi. Sh angeled egg Tosss allow unto days in, his dash attack in genreal makes people scared to press buttons and shield instead. Yeah I known it has a lot of cool down on it if u miss but I never have problems getting them to begin with. I get grabs more than his B move.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I still have Greninja somewhere in the top 15, but for now I don't think he should be dropping more. There are potential characters that could eventually outshine him in competitiveness such as :4peach::4luigi::4pacman::4wario::4jigglypuff:, but some of those characters lack in representation, whereas we've had (and still have) glimpses of Greninja at high-level play.
If you don't mind my asking, who's actually representing a strong Greninja still? Nietono dropped him, from what I know aMSa hasn't been placing well, and I haven't really seen any noteworthy Greninja play from the west in general.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Grab is certainly a weakness for Yoshi, but it's a very necessary one. I dare not to say Yoshi has a top level neutral game, or that it's too good, but it's one of the things that makes him a very good character. Can make better judgments once more than 20% of the cast actually sees some development.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
It is quite weird when Solid keeps bringing up his horrible grab yet it's really not that bad compared to his incredibly nerfed pivot grab. I think even Dash grab ends faster than his pivot now which is saying a lot.

Also not sure why he thinks a Yoshi using a sex kick will allow somebody to come towards him to punish especially with our air mobility and being able to just float away, even though he still has a lingering hitbox out, it's still a hitbox you need to partially avoid.

If anything you try to punish a Yoshi in the air during an egg toss animation or even Dair but the latter is a bit unsafe. Bair isn't a safe move to use anymore either with the increased ending lag it got so not sure why he's bringing that up. What world is he living in though where Yoshi bomb is being used to approach?
Will say that brings a smile to my face imagining a Yoshi slowly inching his way across FD by using solely Down B.

I'd love to point out every single thing he said that's silly, especially the Robin not minding eggs, a fast projectile against as he said a sluggish character, but I feel he's prolly prepping a wall of text fer gashi first.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
Grab is certainly a weakness for Yoshi, but it's a very necessary one. I dare not to say Yoshi has a top level neutral game, or that it's too good, but it's one of the things that makes him a very good character. Can make better judgments once more than 20% of the cast actually sees some development.
Besides yoshi who are the top 5 neutal games u think?

Chuva

Smash Apprentice
If you don't mind my asking, who's actually representing a strong Greninja still? Nietono dropped him, from what I know aMSa hasn't been placing well, and I haven't really seen any noteworthy Greninja play from the west in general.
I was mostly referring to aMSa but I admit I haven't seen much of him recently. Other than him I don't think there is any other big name going for the character. Greninja is still a rather common sight in locals for what it is worth though.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
W-w-wait? aMSa isn't playing Yoshi in the one game he's actually viable? Didn't see that coming.

NairWizard

Somewhere
It is quite weird when Solid...What world is he living in though where Yoshi bomb is being used to approach?..
Will say that brings a smile to my face imagining a Yoshi slowly inching his way across FD by using solely Down B.
I'd love to point out every single thing he said that's silly -- but I feel he's prolly prepping a wall of text fer gashi first.
Damn, that is quite a lot of vitriol lol. Didn't realize I'd offended you so much.

Yoshi's a pretty good character at the end of the day. No wall of text coming from me; first rule of debate is knowing when people are not going to be convinced and learning to let things go.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Edit: God damn dedede is insanely proud of himself in that last screenshot.
I would be very proud proud of myself if I can grab the blue blur off his gosh darned spin dashes.

Last edited:

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
Besides yoshi who are the top 5 neutal games u think?
Not top 5, but some contenders off the top of my head would be Villager, Mega Man, Diddy, Sonic, Pikachu, Rosalina, Pac-Man, DHD, Dedede, Ness, Robin and Peach. Pretty confident in the first 5 at least.

Last edited:

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
Sonic can just avoid the neutral because of his speed in general. I'm so on and off with sonic. Some days I think he's top 5 some days I don't even think he's top 10. Well just have to see how the meta developes and where he fits in. His speed alone is always gonna make him dangerous.

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
Charizard 2nd to bottom on the list... W-why?!! I've never really been one for tier lists, I've always picked the characters I liked rather than the ones that were good (and have lost many a tourney for it) but I gotta ask... How is Charizard that 2nd from bottom? I get that he has a large hurt box which naturally sucks and all the end lag on most his aerials is atrocious. But what else makes him so terrible? I'm not saying he's great but he seems pretty solid this go round. He's not good in neutral but he's surprisingly great in advantage and is fantastic off stage. All of his specials are incredibly useful, 3 of which are armored, 2 have super armor. The main reason I'm asking this is that there seemed to be no questions asked about why Zard is not only bad but the worst in the game ( not including miis). It's almost as if the community unanimously said, " yup... That guy sucks." And moved on, no questions asked. Which resulted in a monumental deficit for attention for charizard. Like, the charizard character forums are as barren as mars...

So basically... Why do guys think charizard is that bad? And I would like another reason other than "he's a stupid fatty" or " he's a lesser bowser." He's NOT just another form of bowser, they share only 3 things in common and those similarities are: Same b move, both heavy, and same-ish fair. That's it. So not that please...

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
There are weird things that seem to beat out spin dash that are making me less and less afraid of it to be totally honest. Sonic spin dashes into me and I N-air OoS and he goes flying away with no percent for his minimal effort. I feel pretty good.

I'd be inclined to disagree that Dedede has a top end neutral game; I think out of your list i'd agree with Megaman, Villager, Diddy, Pikachu and Peach the most. Maybe Rosalina would be better than Pikachu because Pikachu's neutral suddenly falls short against characters with both reflectors and absorbtion because he's forced to approach and commit and it suddenly becomes a bit more dangerous for him. I'm not really sure, someone with knowledge on them could discuss it better than I. =P

Also I wasn't paying attention; Charizard being second lowest would surprise me. That said, it's kind of important to factor in that the guy said the tier list was not the important part of his post and he was asking about actual character representation at Apex with that tier list of his in mind.

And with that said, I think the characters that will be prominent at Apex will be the ones we know and love continue seeing about the place. Diddy, Sheik, Sonic, Yoshi, Ness, Rosaluma and so on are the characters I expect to see. Surprises will be pleasant, though. :D

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Charizard 2nd to bottom on the list... W-why?!! I've never really been one for tier lists, I've always picked the characters I liked rather than the ones that were good (and have lost many a tourney for it) but I gotta ask... How is Charizard that 2nd from bottom? I get that he has a large hurt box which naturally sucks and all the end lag on most his aerials is atrocious. But what else makes him so terrible? I'm not saying he's great but he seems pretty solid this go round. He's not good in neutral but he's surprisingly great in advantage and is fantastic off stage. All of his specials are incredibly useful, 3 of which are armored, 2 have super armor. The main reason I'm asking this is that there seemed to be no questions asked about why Zard is not only bad but the worst in the game ( not including miis). It's almost as if the community unanimously said, " yup... That guy sucks." And moved on, no questions asked. Which resulted in a monumental deficit for attention for charizard. Like, the charizard character forums are as barren as mars...

So basically... Why do guys think charizard is that bad? And I would like another reason other than "he's a stupid fatty" or " he's a lesser bowser." He's NOT just another form of bowser, they share only 3 things in common and those similarities are: Same b move, both heavy, and same-ish fair. That's it. So not that please...
Charizard is basically a hard-read character who has to attack judiciously rather than just throwing stuff out. A lot of people try him and write him off because they get punished for thinking they can spam laggy moves just because they have armor. I don't think he's a bottom 5 character at all, though I'd still wager he's below average for the reasons you mentioned. Just remember that tier lists at this point are mostly meaningless, and are generally either just one person's opinion, or the collective knee-jerk reaction of a group of people with only a superficial understanding of the character, if even that.

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
There won't be many yoshis at apex. No one in the states uses him. I expect Diddy Shiek sonic fox and zss the most.

Also I've looked everywhere for good Ness videos to understand the hype. Can someone link me to some top ness play?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
W-w-wait? aMSa isn't playing Yoshi in the one game he's actually viable? Didn't see that coming.
I recall a comment about not wanting to contaminate his melee Yoshi or somesuch, but he still has a pocket Yoshi in 4.

Not top 5, but some contenders off the top of my head would be Villager, Mega Man, Diddy, Sonic, Dedede, Rosalina, Pac-Man, DHD, Pikachu, Ness, Robin and Peach. Pretty confident in the first 5 at least.
You're gonna have to explain to the Dedede mains how terrible speed, a huge frame, punishable attacks, and a risky fallible projectile add up to a dominant neutral game, because most of us agree we have no neutral game whatsoever.

Also I've looked everywhere for good Ness videos to understand the hype. Can someone link me to some top ness play?
NAKAT plays a really solid Ness, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a bunch of videos searching his name.

Regarding spindash, I learned the other day that the sideB spindash (both default and hammer, probably the other custom too) are invincible from 1f to the apex of the jump at the start. I guess it's been common knowledge for Sonic mains, but I've certainly tried to challenge Sonics during spindash chargeup without knowing I was guaranteed to lose.

EDIT: Of course there's a user named spindash that would be tagged by that.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Not top 5, but some contenders off the top of my head would be Villager, Mega Man, Diddy, Sonic, Dedede, Rosalina, Pac-Man, DHD, Pikachu, Ness, Robin and Peach. Pretty confident in the first 5 at least.
I'd take confirmation from actual Dedede mains rather than someone who's just dabbling in him (for now) but Dedede's neutral game doesn't feel like anything to write he about to me. Gordos can't force an approach at all and while FTilt and Jab are good keep-out tools they're not that great at actually getting into the opponent's space because his mobility is so poor. EDIT: confirmed by Lavani, cool

I'd also contest Ness and Peach, at least a little. Ness.has good spacing with FAir and PK Fire/PK Thunder can provide pressure, but they're really easy to see coming. I guess I just don't understand Peach having a strong Neutral but her float gives her a unique tool.

Last edited:

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
You're gonna have to explain to the Dedede mains how terrible speed, a huge frame, punishable attacks, and a risky fallible projectile add up to a dominant neutral game, because most of us agree we have no neutral game whatsoever.
Dedede wasn't actually supposed to be among the first 5, I edited the order and added more characters after saying that I'm confident about the first 5 before posting, completely forgetting about it. Pikachu was there originally. Fixed it now.

Regardless I feel Dedede has good neutral especially against characters who have to approach him because of how well he can wall them out with gordos, ftilt, dtilt and jab. Dedede is ultimately in control of his gordos, anything the opponent can deflect back at you you can deflect back at him again with more lenient timing while also approaching. If you think the projectile is fallible I think you're not reacting properly to your opponent's interactions with it. That's why you don't see Diddys criticizing about their own banana peels.

People tend to focus on the flaws of their mains while focusing on the strengths of other characters, effectively making it seem like their character is worse than they actually are and that the fault is in them rather than the player. Japan for one thinks relatively highly of Dedede, and their tier list is based on actual tournament results, not opinionated theorycraft.

All in all, take anything anyone says in this thread with a grain of salt, especially when saying that they're listing spontaneous examples. At least 50% of the people in this thread just don't have enough experience with the game to judge the attributes of several let alone all characters or make comprehensive rankings of characters, and the remaining ~50% are pretenders.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Damn, that is quite a lot of vitriol lol. Didn't realize I'd offended you so much.

Yoshi's a pretty good character at the end of the day. No wall of text coming from me; first rule of debate is knowing when people are not going to be convinced and learning to let things go.
This is more comparable to life in general. One should not bother filling a glass thats full.

But regardless i would like to think people in this thread would be open to more such discussion and not shoving thier opinion down each others throat. Its one thing to disagree another is to continue in an off puting form of discussion mostly by dismissing the opposing argument by labling it as "silly" when all that invokes in inteligent discussion is the end of said disscussion.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Dedede wasn't actually supposed to be among the first 5, I edited the order and added more characters after saying that I'm confident about the first 5 before posting, completely forgetting about it. Pikachu was there originally. Fixed it now.

Regardless I feel Dedede has good neutral especially against characters who have to approach him because of how well he can wall them out with gordos, ftilt, dtilt and jab. Dedede is ultimately in control of his gordos, anything the opponent can deflect back at you you can deflect back at him again with more lenient timing while also approaching. If you think the projectile is fallible I think you're not reacting properly to your opponent's interactions with it. That's why you don't see Diddys criticizing about their own banana peels.

People tend to focus on the flaws of their mains while focusing on the strengths of other characters, effectively making it seem like their character is worse than they actually are and that the fault is in them rather than the player. Japan for one thinks relatively highly of Dedede, and their tier list is based on actual tournament results, not opinionated theorycraft.

All in all, take anything anyone says in this thread with a grain of salt, especially when saying that they're listing spontaneous examples. At least 50% of the people in this thread just don't have enough experience with the game to judge the attributes of several let alone all characters or make comprehensive rankings of characters, and the remaining ~50% are pretenders.
If you're close enough when you throw the gordo you wont have time to react to the gordo being reflected, and ddd tends to go in after his gordo to capitalize on the shield it forces or the hit it lands

and the gordo is a tool help ddd out of neutral not one that lets him control the neutral game, its way too slow and laggy for that

that being said people should start using gordos properly, theres some japanese DDD on the Shi-gi channel who's really good at making the most of it

but really, ddd's neutral game is not good, its not terrible against characters that are mediocre or lack mobility but thats about it

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Poor word choice on my part; Gordos at neutral are a fallible projectile.

Gordos are best used in low-risk situations. You can use them in advantage to set up stage control or hit directly below the ledge without having to leave the stage yourself, and you can use them in disadvantage to cover your recovery or the space below you while trying to return to the ground. At neutral, the startup is slow enough that the opponent can throw out hitboxes on reaction, and while "just re-reflect it" is fine and dandy on paper, in practice the end lag is long enough that Dedede probably can't even get a hitbox out to reflect it in time. It also inherently loses to enemy projectiles and can be reflected into Dedede's face before he even hits it. Gordo has its applications, but it's by far weakest when used at neutral.

Regardless I feel Dedede has good neutral especially against characters who have to approach him because of how well he can wall them out
I don't disagree with this. Dedede does fantastically against characters that are forced to approach him. He does terribly against characters he's forced to approach. He's a character with polarized matchups.

Citrussed

Smash Journeyman
Gordos can be fine to use in neutral, but you really have to be pretty much ready for them to be reflected back

Real Smooth-Like

Smash Apprentice
As what has been said before Diddy Kong isn't afraid of his own banana's, Link his bombs, Peach her turnips, ROB his gyroid etc etc... Though D3's gordo is easier to react to than the projectiles listed above, D3 can actually turn this into an advantage. Since the gordo is easy to hit back, your opponent will likely react to it. A reaction that you FORCED out of them by bringing the gordo into play. If that reaction becomes predictable, by definition it will also be punishable. Once you start punish them for hitting back the gordo your opponent will start playing more defensively, dodging and blocking the gordo as opposed to hitting it. Something that you can predict. Thus starting a mindgames/conditioning war that you will almost always be in control of if you play smart. Why? Because the gordo is YOUR projectile. You choose when to put it into play or not.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
ZSS's nair can hit any crouching opponent if you know what you are doing same with her Bair.
That's true except against like... Kirby, but fast-falling up air is a better approach in most cases. The hitbox is closer to the ground than nair and zss' frame 1 jab means you can jab after to frame trap with it/make it safe. It's not actually as good on block as nair, but you can outspace most shield grabs with it. There are some matchups where it's not as good (Zard's a good example because his grab's range is ridiculous) but in most if not all of those cases, the character is tall enough that nair works fine even if they crouch.

I really want to see Zero Suit players start abusing uair as an approach/pressure tool. It is very similar to Marth's fair from older games. Less range but the reward is pretty monstrous and it's really safe in in a ton of match-ups.

It works better in Smash 4 than in Brawl because the hitbox seems to cover a really large space in front of ZSS horizontally. In brawl it had a hitbox in front but the range was pretty low until the move traveled around to the top of her.

ZSS got nerfed a lot going into smash 4 but the big change is that she can safely attack shields from a lot of different angles and spacings. She still has the problem with approaches where her short hop is high and her grab is slow, so she can't realistically bait and grab shields, but at least now the approach tools are safer on hit so she can pressure a little better than she used to. Holding shield will still be a good defensive strategy against Zero Suit but turning that into an offensive position is a lot harder due to the lower range on most shield grabs and her jab finishing on hit.

I still can't help but feel like the internet is overrating ZSS a little bit. I think she's 100% tournament viable and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see her win things or dominate good regions, but I also think she has more holes you can exploit than real top tier characters

Last edited:

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
I see, I won't consider Dedede to have good neutral anymore for now then. Out of interest related to the topic though, who does everyone think of as the best characters in neutral, advantage and disadvantage respectively? I'll relist my top 5 neutrals with a bit more thought as well as the other two categories. Note that I'm not claiming anything with this, just bringing up some points and ideas.

----------

Neutral (efficiency at getting control of the match): :4megaman: :4villager: :4diddy: :4sonic: :4sheik:

Mega Man is basically the only heavy zoner in the game with an actually good grab game. Villager has arguably the best neutral b in the game with pocket, obviously more useful in some match-ups than others although it's never useless as it grants a decent amount of invincibility. He also has 2 different projectiles that can travel on any level he wants, simultaneously, as well as a quick disjointed uair and dair. Diddy Kong demands a lot a caution from the opponent because of the follow-ups he can perform out of grabs which are easy to get being so fast with good range and bananas to help him out. Sonic forces a guessing game with his approaches and usually wins because of his speed. Sheik has the tools, mobility and the safe frame data to both force approaches and approach while also making sure the opponent is punished for making a mistake. If (or more like when) her chaingrab becomes a thing, you'll also have to treat Sheik like lesser ICs. I feel like Little Mac could go well in here, but don't have enough experience on him.

Advantage (efficiency at keeping control of the match): :4sheik: :4zss: :4fox: :4falcon: :4ness:

These characters are hard to get off of yourself once they get in. They all have good throw and combo setups and can juggle other characters with ease, Ness a little bit less so, but he has PK thunder to reliably harass half the cast offstage and he's arguably the most efficient KOer in the game, even more so than Diddy Kong. The first four also have the highest overall mobility in the game, combining some of the fastest running speeds, falling and fast falling speeds and horizontal aerial speeds in the game. Sheik's and ZSS's frame datas combined with that are amazing for rushdown, while Fox's utilt and nair and Falcon's dash grab provide setups and resets that are sometimes hard to react to. Something Falcon also has that the others don't is a reliable spike in his dair for edgeguarding and the ability to take more risks due to his long survivability, although Ness' weight isn't shabby either. Mario and Luigi are also good with their combo game, but their overall mobility just isn't good enough, more so for Luigi.

Disadvantage (efficiency of stopping opponent's control) :4villager: :4pikachu: :4lucario: :4yoshi: :4jigglypuff:

None of these characters mind about being on the receiving end too much. While Villager can drop down to the bottom corner blastzone and still recover to the opposite ledge of the stage, he doesn't have too many options to break out of combos with besides nair. He still makes it however, considering how good he does just camping around the ledge. Thank science this game doesn't have conventional ledge mechanics. Pikachu can escape horizontally with side b, stall under the stage with thunder and make it back to the stage fairly unpredictably with quick attack, as well as break out of combos with his fast aerials. Lucario, that is correct; this may seem like a silly logic but no matter how you look at it, being in disadvantage is necessary for Lucario to reach efficient strength, so he only really minds about it after around 100-120% depending on the match-up. Even at sufficient percents, while his recovery isn't as good as people think, it's among the better ones when used right and his aura b-reversals are defensively very useful. Yoshi can basically challenge anything with dair and eggs and use his super armor to nullify gimps offstage. Him and Jigglypuff also shake half the cast completely off of them with their aerial mobility and can break out of resets and setups with their quick aerials such as nairs. Shoutouts to jump Shulk though.

----------

If all the categories were top 10 instead of top 5, Sheik, Pikachu and Yoshi would be in all of them, as none of those characters have any considerable weaknesses. I think because of that it's very unlikely any of them will ever be unviable. Also if any character such as Rosalina is missing from any of the categories, it's because I don't have the knowledge to put them there.

Now, what is this kind of theorycraft good for? At the very least if we make this more comprehensive, it'd be easier to truly extract some clear pros and cons in characters and really think about what they're going to do for the character, and thus expect some characters to become more viable and others less viable in the future before the metagame actually concretely develops, and at the same time speed up its development. If the development of SDI and Snake's super exploitable recovery were given more thought early on in Brawl for example, it might've been easier to expect him to drop a few spots in viability before the metagame actually developed.

Moving on to Smash 4, I think that slow runners and characters with bad grab games for example just fundamentally won't do very well in the metagame unless those are for mandatory, compensating reasons such as extreme aerial mobility or a strong keep-away/camping game. This is because your only OoS option is often jab or grab, because of how effective shielding is and because of how important quick punishes are for keeping or getting the momentum in your favor. Slow but heavy hitters probably won't flourish either despite rage considering how ridiculously good some characters' frame data is while still having good damage and knockback properties in their moves. Similarly I could see rage's importance being emphasized and players capitalizing on staying alive as long as possible by playing more "lame" and minimizing any risk at high %s, making heavy but mobile characters more viable than they would otherwise be. Lastly, bad recovery isn't as bad is it was before because of the ledge mechanics. Maybe these points are obvious, but at the same time they shouldn't be overlooked because we're mostly focusing on short-term metagame.

It'd be interesting if we made long-term tier speculation with factors like these in mind. Good mobility and frame data will always be important, but at the same time I think difficulty KOing while getting yourself KOed quickly will be emphasized in this Smash, hence I think Diddy Kong may actually keep his throne, Yoshi will be top 5, and Sheik and Pikachu will stay within control despite their ridiculous potential.

Last edited:

Funtroon

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one feeling weirded by the lack of Jigglypuff representation in tournaments? She feels like a solid character to me with lots of air mobility and solid kill moves but yet no one seems to be using her aside from Hungrybox that one 3DS tournament AGES ago.

Am I missing something here?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Being extremely light weight in this game seems to be really really awful for all characters effected.
Stuff like bair have awkward animations and are harder to hit with than they probably should be.

She can throw a move on shield but she doesn't necessarily force one.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Poor word choice on my part; Gordos at neutral are a fallible projectile.

Gordos are best used in low-risk situations. You can use them in advantage to set up stage control or hit directly below the ledge without having to leave the stage yourself, and you can use them in disadvantage to cover your recovery or the space below you while trying to return to the ground. At neutral, the startup is slow enough that the opponent can throw out hitboxes on reaction, and while "just re-reflect it" is fine and dandy on paper, in practice the end lag is long enough that Dedede probably can't even get a hitbox out to reflect it in time. It also inherently loses to enemy projectiles and can be reflected into Dedede's face before he even hits it. Gordo has its applications, but it's by far weakest when used at neutral.

I don't disagree with this. Dedede does fantastically against characters that are forced to approach him. He does terribly against characters he's forced to approach. He's a character with polarized matchups.
Dedede doesn't actually need to hit the gordo with
an attack to reflect it; by pressing A at the right time,
Dedede will actually catch the gordo and hit it.
Though obviously he still needs to get out of the endlag
of the initial toss before he can do this.

There are videos documenting this in the Dedede thread.

David Viran

Smash Lord
That's true except against like... Kirby, but fast-falling up air is a better approach in most cases. The hitbox is closer to the ground than nair and zss' frame 1 jab means you can jab after to frame trap with it/make it safe. It's not actually as good on block as nair, but you can outspace most shield grabs with it. There are some matchups where it's not as good (Zard's a good example because his grab's range is ridiculous) but in most if not all of those cases, the character is tall enough that nair works fine even if they crouch.

I really want to see Zero Suit players start abusing uair as an approach/pressure tool. It is very similar to Marth's fair from older games. Less range but the reward is pretty monstrous and it's really safe in in a ton of match-ups.

It works better in Smash 4 than in Brawl because the hitbox seems to cover a really large space in front of ZSS horizontally. In brawl it had a hitbox in front but the range was pretty low until the move traveled around to the top of her.

ZSS got nerfed a lot going into smash 4 but the big change is that she can safely attack shields from a lot of different angles and spacings. She still has the problem with approaches where her short hop is high and her grab is slow, so she can't realistically bait and grab shields, but at least now the approach tools are safer on hit so she can pressure a little better than she used to. Holding shield will still be a good defensive strategy against Zero Suit but turning that into an offensive position is a lot harder due to the lower range on most shield grabs and her jab finishing on hit.

I still can't help but feel like the internet is overrating ZSS a little bit. I think she's 100% tournament viable and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see her win things or dominate good regions, but I also think she has more holes you can exploit than real top tier characters
Yeah as a zss main neutral is a lot harder and complex than most other characters because of shield but she is better in this game about pressure than brawl. Some people do overrate her but others also underrate her too so it goes back and forth. Top tier aren't about who doesn't have exploitable weaknesses it's about the balance between weakness and strength more so. Now I don't like to talk about tier placement yet because it's still to early but I'm curious on how good zss's punish game will turn out.

Last edited:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Falcon's falling Uair to Knee is indeed a thing that cannot be escaped with DI until about 70-100% depending on the weight of the character. However that's only about 10% lower than the range in which the combo wouldn't work regardless of DI. The reason is that uair creates a ton of hitstun, to the point you can connect a Knee even when you need to use your second jump to get to the uaired opponent. Falcon's dash is so fast that even with the opponent DI'ing away from you, you can still get to them way past the percents that are necessarily for a kill. @ victra♥ victra♥ made a video of it some time ago, as did I along with other setups such as dthrow to Knee. Might as well show it here too:

Uair to Knee is a bigger deal than dthrow to Knee because, while the latter kills characters like Rosalina, Sheik and Pikachu at 35-40% played by inexperienced players, it can be DI'd quite easily. That is not the case with the uair setup. While falling uairs aren't super easy to land on short and/or mobile opponents, I think that if players start to utilize this and get good with hit confirmation, Falcon might have a spot in the top 5 or at least 10. Right now I consider him between 10 and 15.

Also on the topic of online, it's just fine as long as you live within about 300 mile radius from your opponent and neither of you use fisher price routers. There is input lag but it's nothing that keeps you from practicing setups, combos, reads and other important fundamental things. The only thing it really affects is reaction because there will be about 50-150ms lag.

If I'm not entirely wrong, Ally and Salem started off playing online for example (might be confusing Ally with Axelol, it was way back).
This is awesome! Have you shared this in the falcon boards also?

Last edited:

PsiArbyOmega

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5000-4133-6577
Warning Received
My SSB4 Tier List (in no specific order)
SS Tier: :4diddy::rosalina::4zss:
S Tier: :4yoshi::4greninja::4sheik:
A+ Tier::4shulk::4sonic::4link::4ness::4kirby::4lucina::4palutena:
A- Tier: :4tlink::4lucario::4megaman::4robinm::4bowser::4falcon::4littlemac::4duckhunt:
B Tier: :4charizard::4jigglypuff::4zelda::4wario::4bowserjr::4dk::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4fox::4pacman::4samus::4rob:
C Tier: :4ganondorf::4myfriends::4pikachu::4drmario::4metaknight::4pit:
D Tier: :4gaw::4villager::4darkpit:
E Tier::4wiifit::4peach:
F Tier: :4falco::4olimar::4dedede:

....and that's what I think the tiers for SSB4 should be!

Fuzzy pickles! :ness:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
The more I play with Falco the better I think he is. Why is nobody exploring this character? Even without customs I feel like he is definitely a stellar character with a lot of interesting quirks and a REALLY god damn strong string/pressure followup game with a decent projectile for ranged chipping (I.e. you end a string and shoot a laser to follow them).

He definitely isn't Brawl Falco but I'm liking his flow a lot more. Reflector is a godlike tool for just throwing out a long range disjoint that can occasionally just outright trip people which is great, and with customs on he gains access to things like Void Reflector which are not only juiced up in attack damage, but let him nullify projectiles which is better in certain MUs.

I think I'm going to stick with him in the long run at this point and see what he can do. Don't know where I'd place him in this game but I'd say far away from any classification of "bad." I can't forget to mention Bair which absolutely eats any opposition offstage (and if you think you can't kill them off the side, just Bair them from behind and stage spike them!)

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
As many have said, care to explain/justify everything?
Yeah, wtf dude.

I'm down on D3 a butt-ton, but...absolute bottom of the barrel? No. Just...no. He's a much better character than that.

omg, looking at that list...Ike that low? Lucina that high?

my brain, I can't

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Yeah, wtf dude.

I'm down on D3 a butt-ton, but...absolute bottom of the barrel? No. Just...no. He's a much better character than that.

Smooth Criminal
Inclined to agree. D3 is, IMO, the most absolute of counterpick characters in that he destroys those whom he beats, but adversely, those that beat him are....yeah.

There's no middle of the road with D3 as far as MUs go from what I can tell but you know, that's where the hype is at! But he's not bottom, at all lol. I would NOT put WFT over D3 at all because at least he can reliably hit *******.

And yo for real Doc is way too high on there, I'm a downer as well! For a good reason, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom