• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Villager would actually benefit less than some guys because his kill game is unreliable. A damage buff helps those with a weak rackup game the most.

EDIT: Can Falcon upair hit any shields besides Yao Ming's?

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Are ya'll running that with customizations turned off? you can still use custom moves with miis with customizations turned off, so you would just be removing the need to rely on the honor system for equips.
We have it with customs on I'm pretty sure. We've had an honor system for equipment that has somehow not caused a single issue yet. So we don't wanna limit the Miis if we don't need to.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
I think the Miis have a lot of potential for being good. After seeing dapuffmaster's Brawler do really well in tournament and messing around with Mii Gunner, I think that they can hold their own fairly well. Here's to hoping that they won't be banned, because while good, they are far from broken.

Some gunner stuff I have been testing and working on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n87t1bN5r4k
Just more of the last one shown in the video above. A really good kill setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbnMDLRb8oI

Judo777

Smash Master
I mean, this is true in almost every game that features replays by nature.

He absolutely would have a favorable matchup against MK, particularly if tornado abuse is removed from the equation. Again, it's way too easy to underestimate the true value of simply dealing more damage; BBrawl Ganon was nowhere near 2.0x damage, and had a pretty even matchup against the barely nerfed MK.

Double damage Brawl Ganon would still lose to some characters, including Sheik, Olimar, and ICs, but not MK.
MK beat Ganon arguably worse than Olimar did. The problem is that no MK players seriously took time to learn the Ganon MU (lol why would they). MK ***** every character below mid tier like beyond belief.

And no he wouldn't, Ganon could barely get a hit on MK at all in the MU. If Ganon ever got knocked into the air or offstage he was either dead or gonna take a ton of damage. Ganon DEFINITELY wouldn't beat MK if he did double damage.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
We have it with customs on I'm pretty sure. We've had an honor system for equipment that has somehow not caused a single issue yet. So we don't wanna limit the Miis if we don't need to.
You misunderstand. Mii dimensions and mii moves are both not restricted by customizations-off. There's no limiting at all, just equipment gets banned.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
It's likely that the new patch will fix some glitches that aren't there in the Wii U version.

http://smashboards.com/threads/i-re...o-for-you-all-ama.376850/page-4#post-17949165

Heard that it also affects the aerial landing lag canceling with special moves (the famous Greninja dAir to Side-B).

Cannot personally confirm any of those two, so take this with a grain (read a mountain) of salt.
In the case it's true, R.I.P. in peace Wario, you had the best glitch this game had to offer.

http://smashboards.com/threads/i-re...o-for-you-all-ama.376850/page-4#post-17949165

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Well, it's officially confirmed. RosaLuma is indeed nerfed, check the beginning of this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjVF05k0El0
Luma now actually takes 13 seconds to respawn. Pretty fair change, gives more opportunity, doesn't destroy character.

And yeah *** RIP Wario's glitch, probably the most fun glitch in this game ever. He's still solid without it but it was hilarious while it lasted.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
MK beat Ganon arguably worse than Olimar did. The problem is that no MK players seriously took time to learn the Ganon MU (lol why would they). MK ***** every character below mid tier like beyond belief.

And no he wouldn't, Ganon could barely get a hit on MK at all in the MU. If Ganon ever got knocked into the air or offstage he was either dead or gonna take a ton of damage. Ganon DEFINITELY wouldn't beat MK if he did double damage.
This just wasn't true in any of my experience.

Last tourney I was at with Jekyll, he tore through the entire bracket. Zoze only beat him in GF after Jekyll SD'd game one, and CPing Luigi's Mansion (which was legal for some reason) game 3. Zoze isn't the world's best MK, but a player of his performance would have slept-walked through the matchup to hear you tell it. If Jekyll's moves did double damage, he'd have been 2-stocked repeatedly.

In STL, people wouldn't go MK against TP's Ganon; they'd go ICs, Falco, DDD, Olimar, or Sheik--all of whom are vastly more abusive.

BBrawl Ganon was nowhere near as buffed as 2.0x damage and got zero speed or range upgrades, and he proved to handle MK fine. (Olimar was still a small problem, in comparison.)

Jigglypuff also did way better against MK, better than any other top tier except ICs. Falcon also preferred MK to Olimar and ICs.

But anyway, back to Smash 4. The confirmation of Luma respawn nerf is really interesting!

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Maybe if I shout really really loud they'll make Doc run faster in the future =3. Glimmers of hope, glimmers of hope!

In the meantime this means actual balance patches hoooooooo snap.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I can actually see them nerfing lucario's aura so it takes slightly longer for it to become dangerous at later percents.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Still this is very nice and confirms that there will be legitimate stuff coming out, like actual changes. I don't really count any patch before this as it did seemingly nothing, this is the first one.

It's nice to know they're at least seeing the input or something like that.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Still this is very nice and confirms that there will be legitimate stuff coming out, like actual changes. I don't really count any patch before this as it did seemingly nothing, this is the first one.

It's nice to know they're at least seeing the input or something like that.
I'd bet money the 3DS patch is just to bring it up to speed with the Wii U changes. We've already seen the Luma respawn nerf, and I heard Yoshi's teleports, Wario's vector glitch, etc. are also gone.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The 1.0.4 japanese support page is up. It doesn't give us any information besides confirming that there are bugfix and balance changes that break replays and local wireless across versions. But it does mean it's coming, and probably soon.

In the MEANTIME, I'm going to make an assertion:

If any character had all their damages doubled (knockback growth ratios halved to remain constant), they would be the undisputed best character in the game with exclusively favorable matchups.

Anyone care to disagree, or propose a counter-example?
Given how this game is balanced and how damage per hit was really carefully focused on, I'm inclined to mostly agree. I mean seriously...a lot of the imbalance in this game really comes down to reward. It's the reason why Yoshi works and isn't simply mid tier. It's also the reason why Sonic is cancer status. I mean yeah, you have some exceptions like Sheik and Rosalina who have exceptional control moves, although this is also made better by the fact that they actually have clearly good damage output (factoring that they have reliable combos and safe traps to make up for cases where their individual damage per hit appears low).

I think Robin's shield pressure would spiral out of control with sufficient extra damage. In my experience Robin doesn't get completely shut out in many situations.

I agree that Zelda, Olimar, and Swordfighter are the 3 characters who might not benefit fully from just dumping extra damage on them.
Double damage Zelda F-smash, Naryus, F-air/B-air, and D-tilt are pretty serious business though. I agree that Zelda is more balanced around the difficulty of performing in neutral, but she does have good moves that have to be respected.

I actually believe a better example of a character who benefits strictly less from increased damage is Little Mac. It doesn't change that if he gets outplayed hard, he has the lowest survivability in the game, and it honestly doesn't change that his ground game is terrifying for everyone.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
BBrawl talk kinda makes me want to boot it up again just because.

Any news on whether or not turnip farming and infinite Lightweight are out?

Wow, who cares what double damage would be like? Instead of spending your time talking about hypotheticals, how about testing things that are actually in the game? Anybody check to see if Falcon's fastfall uair is safe on shield, since it has the best combination of damage and landing animation?
Theory exercises like this do have value, regardless of your (in)ability to understand such.

Yes

A better question would be to ask: Who doesn't uair hit on the ground?
Might not hit characters with low crouches, not sure. Limited forward range is something of a problem, but it's not like he really has better options... Just leaves him marginally more vulnerable to powershielding.

I imagine, but the Luma respawn nerf is pretty convenient given the community input surrounding it. Either that or they did it on their own, A or B.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Luma nerf was made at least semi-independently of community feedback. They probably kept testing the Wii U version for a while after the final 3DS version.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I really enjoyed BBrawl. I probably would have continued playing it and never switched to PM if BBrawl also had Mewtwo and Roy. Thanks to you guys for developing it.

Olimar was still broken nonsense though. I spent like a year doing random vs random in that game with my friend, and in general most matchups were pretty even, except Olimar vs anyone. Whomever got Olimar won 95% of the time. I think I beat him with Ike once.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
It's not unsurprising that the developers would reach the same conclusions as the community; in fact the devs often continue to outpace the broader community for the first couple weeks of a release, where the internal balance testers have more momentum.

It actually takes a surprising amount of time for community experience to outpace the original team, even if it is absolutely inevitable.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I really enjoyed BBrawl. I probably would have continued playing it and never switched to PM if BBrawl also had Mewtwo and Roy. Thanks to you guys for developing it.

Olimar was still broken nonsense though. I spent like a year doing random vs random in that game with my friend, and in general most matchups were pretty even, except Olimar vs anyone. Whomever got Olimar won 95% of the time. I think I beat him with Ike once.
I feel like Yoshi is more broken in the latest build of BBrawl. Double shield damage aerials mang. I mean seriously, Smash 4 Yoshi D-air is probably the real reason he'll remain top tier in this game.

ROB is also silly in BBrawl when you consider he kept things like his BROKEN F-tilt and Glide Tossing in addition to getting better throws. The character seems most stupid when he has easy ways to win neutral and set up Gyros. And that's why I don't think he's great in Smash 4. He's not impressive in neutral anymore.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I feel like Yoshi is more broken in the latest build of BBrawl. Double shield damage aerials mang. I mean seriously, Smash 4 Yoshi D-air is probably the real reason he'll remain top tier in this game.
I actually never updated to the very last version that totally overhauled the Ice Climbers and such. It didn't really seem necessary and there were no Olimar nerfs.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Rosalina is still strong without Luma, but not as dominating. For example, Diddy has a much easier time approaching and shield-pressuring a Rosalina without Luma, and Sheik can f-air Rosalina safely without worrying about Luma up-tilt getting in her way. Starbits and Luma Warp, as strong as they are as custom moves, are entirely shut down when Luma is shut down.

The respawn time was upped by 5 seconds, which seems trivial until you consider that it's a 62.5% increase in the total Luma timeout. Suppose that in a normal match Luma goes out of commission 5 times (this is a conservative estimate that will probably rise as people become more accustomed to the character and as people start to use their custom movesets more often). That's a total of 40 seconds of the match during which Luma does not exist. Luma will now not exist for 65 seconds--an additional 25 seconds over the course of a match. Assuming that the average match takes 3 minutes to finish, that's a jump from 22% of the match time to 36% of the match time. Seems much more significant when viewed in these terms.

Consider that a respawn time of 13 seconds makes it far more worthwhile to kill Luma in the first place, and that people will get better at fighting Luma as the metagame develops, and you can up that 36% to 45%. That's almost half the match during which you fight Rosalina only, and not Luma.

With this change, I no longer believe that Rosalina is top tier, though I am aware that she will still have many of the strengths that make her top tier at this time.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I'm pretty sure she's still top tier to be honest. Rosalina is a very high skill-ceiling character since Luma setups are complicated. People are currently not using Luma well (or even at all) and are still doing very well with her because Rosalina herself is a very good character even without effective use of Luma. 5 more seconds of being the still pretty decent solo Rosalina isn't likely to push her down a tier and doesn't dominate the great advantage of being able to break combos or throws using Luma.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Regardless if she remains top tier or not there's no denying it's a pretty significant change that will greatly effect how people approach the MU.

Now that people have more incentive to get rid of Luma I'm expecting anti-Luma tech to develop at a faster pace.

I think it's a great change tbh.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure she's still top tier to be honest. Rosalina is a very high skill-ceiling character since Luma setups are complicated. People are currently not using Luma well (or even at all) and are still doing very well with her because Rosalina herself is a very good character even without effective use of Luma. 5 more seconds of being the still pretty decent solo Rosalina isn't likely to push her down a tier and doesn't dominate the great advantage of being able to break combos or throws using Luma.
As much as I'd like for it to be true that Rosa is a high ceiling character that will only get better, I think the reverse is true, there's more to be gained learning to counter her unique mechanic than there is in learning to use it. For instance Rosalina can learn to put Luma ahead for an ftilt, backwards ftilt, ftilt combo, but someone with rosa matchup experience can do you one better and not go inbetween Rosa and luma, attacking luma from front instead. A lot of desync play is cheesy and puts Luma in a lot of risk, especially against the game's top tier.

There is definitely a lot of skill ceiling on the character and if Luma is desynced you can learn about how that changes the potential of the followups of your options, but there's ten times as much to gain from learning the counterplay. It's like Brawl Diddy, but moreso.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
As much as I'd like for it to be true that Rosa is a high ceiling character that will only get better, I think the reverse is true, there's more to be gained learning to counter her unique mechanic than there is in learning to use it. For instance Rosalina can learn to put Luma ahead for an ftilt, backwards ftilt, ftilt combo, but someone with rosa matchup experience can do you one better and not go inbetween Rosa and luma, attacking luma from front instead. A lot of desync play is cheesy and puts Luma in a lot of risk, especially against the game's top tier.

There is definitely a lot of skill ceiling on the character and if Luma is desynced you can learn about how that changes the potential of the followups of your options, but there's ten times as much to gain from learning the counterplay. It's like Brawl Diddy, but moreso.
Part of the skill ceiling for Rosa is learning how to protect their Luma. It should definitely be possible to place Luma such that if the opponent attacks Luma, Rosalina can punish.

I think it's a great change tbh.
I agree, that's why I've been suggesting it for ages :)
It's probably still not quite enough though. I still firmly believe that Rosalina without Luma should be flat out bad. Solo Rosalina is at worst mid tier.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Rosalina is still strong without Luma, but not as dominating. For example, Diddy has a much easier time approaching and shield-pressuring a Rosalina without Luma, and Sheik can f-air Rosalina safely without worrying about Luma up-tilt getting in her way. Starbits and Luma Warp, as strong as they are as custom moves, are entirely shut down when Luma is shut down.

The respawn time was upped by 5 seconds, which seems trivial until you consider that it's a 62.5% increase in the total Luma timeout. Suppose that in a normal match Luma goes out of commission 5 times (this is a conservative estimate that will probably rise as people become more accustomed to the character and as people start to use their custom movesets more often). That's a total of 40 seconds of the match during which Luma does not exist. Luma will now not exist for 65 seconds--an additional 25 seconds over the course of a match. Assuming that the average match takes 3 minutes to finish, that's a jump from 22% of the match time to 36% of the match time. Seems much more significant when viewed in these terms.

Consider that a respawn time of 13 seconds makes it far more worthwhile to kill Luma in the first place, and that people will get better at fighting Luma as the metagame develops, and you can up that 36% to 45%. That's almost half the match during which you fight Rosalina only, and not Luma.

With this change, I no longer believe that Rosalina is top tier, though I am aware that she will still have many of the strengths that make her top tier at this time.
For some reason I feel like Rosalina wont be top tier after time passes. top 10-15 because people will figure out how to get passedher moves.

MikeyAM

Smash Rookie
Yes, I generally consider playing against opponent's winning tournaments using secondaries as competent.
And we established Bowser Jr is stronger than the majority of the cast in the air? That sounds even more questionable to me than his recovery, which has all the options of Wario essentially, but not even a fraction of the aerial versatility of Wario to back it up to make it near infallible.
Well, when we discussed his moveset and settled on his aerials being very good, I assumed that translated to 'better than the majority of the cast' otherwise his aerials wouldn't be considered very good. And since that seems like literally the only part of Bowser Jr's game that people agree on, it seemed like a pretty good starting point for the conversation. So far several people have offered the opinion that he's pretty good off stage, and you've held to your opinion that he isn't. Mostly, it seems like, because you think his recovery is identical to Wario but without 'versatility'. I would be very interested to hear what versatility you think that Bowser Jr lacks relative to Wario, and which characters you think have an easy time edge guarding Bowser Jr. This has potential to be a larger conversation about what makes a character good at edge guarding (aerial mobility, recovery, speed, priority, range?) and, from there, a discussion on which characters have enough of those characteristics to dominate the rest of the cast off stage.

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
I can actually see them nerfing lucario's aura so it takes slightly longer for it to become dangerous at later percents.
Please this. It would be such an easy patch, and it's really needed.

Kind of like how Luma's respawn time increasing to 13 seconds was an easy patch. That was a fair patch that was easy to implement and doesn't fundamentally change the character in any way.

Lucario's aura should kick in somewhere closer to 125%, not 100%.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Lucario's aura should kick in somewhere closer to 125%, not 100%.
Aura is actually gradual, it doesn't "kick in" at any percent, it just progressively gets better as he gets higher damage.

I think a much better change is just to remove the mechanic and make him have 75%'s worth of Aura all the time.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Aura should have some sort of kick in state. Like oh lucario is at 70%? His aura mechanic should have kicked in and not gradually got better. In the beginning up tilt should combo reliably then when aura kicks in it does knock back.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Aura should have some sort of kick in state. Like oh lucario is at 70%? His aura mechanic should have kicked in and not gradually got better. In the beginning up tilt should combo reliably then when aura kicks in it does knock back.
No, I'm actually fine with his aura being gradually better instead of giving him at an arbitrary number.
We have to keep in mind that in its current iteration, Lucario is really weak without his aura.

Plus, giving him an aura in high % only makes his game that much more troublesome against hard hitting characters.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Aura is inherently anticompetitive and shouldn't be in the game. It progressively raises the stakes like those silly nickelodeon game shows where round 1 was worth 100 points, round two is worth 200 points, and round 3 is worth 400 points.

Sakurai doesn't seem to agree. I'm not sure what he'd do with it if he did see the light on that. Maybe just keep the scaling range mechanics and not the scaling damage mechanics

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman

In addition to the 13 seconds it takes Luma to respawn, you also have to factor in the 3 seconds or so of slow death tumbling animation every time Luma gets knocked off the stage. So knocking Luma off the stage means that Rosalina will have to go solo for about 16 seconds or so.

I think this was a fair nerf, and that it gives a lot more incentive to Rosalina's opponent knocking off Luma, and places a higher priority on the Rosalina player protecting Luma.

However, I disagree with you that this will remove RosaLuma from top tier. Solo Rosalina is no slouch, and as a Rosalina player if you're not careless with Luma, you should have no problem keeping Luma on the stage for the vast majority of the match. And if your opponent focuses too much on Luma, you should be able to punish it.

Not to mention, it seems like nerfs to some of the other top tier characters will be coming as well... but even disregarding that fact, I really don't think this nerf makes Rosalina & Luma that much weaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom