• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassio

Smash Master
Mobility implies a good neutral, and I guess good zoning is the counter-style to that.

For luigi, zero thinks luigi fireballs are what provide him a top tier neutral (which he says are positive on shield). So you'd have to assess other characters ability to handle that.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Wow. ZeRo thinks Luigi's Fireballs are what makes him good in neutral? Wait until he sees M2's Mega Busters.

Ironically. Mega Busters are what makes Luigi loses the MU hard. Had Mega not equipped by that, the MU would be thousand times easier for Luigi because he can actually approach instead of getting hit by lemons that he cannot make a lemonade out from.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
another thing about Wario vs Luigi is that Wario's frame data is often just a few frames slower than lugi's kit on the moves that matter (namely N-air,F-air, and D-tilt)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think the main trick against luigi is realising his roll + dash grab are longer range than average, he has a lot of strength within that admittedly LARGE AS **** zone of dominance but his mobility specs means he should be falling short against characters better in that zoning area/further away or are capable of baiting out those actions safely.

The way most Luigi players get a lot of their stuff is admittedly a bit suss. He's pretty dominant from what I see at low and mid level play, like disgustingly so and it's just a matter of players thinking "what do I do about fire ball, what do I do about dash grab, how do I land?" and honestly a lot of the times once you're in that situation there are no answers lol. I could very well see what made Luigi look like mid/upper mid in early Brawl to what was a low tier/borderline feeling may happen in Smash 4 too (not Luigi dropping to low tier, just losing his edge over time).

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Is it just me or do a lot of players just let Luigi get back on stage for free? No matter how deep he recovers, most characters can chase him there and the missile is very punishable. I see the same being done with Ness and Diddy too.

Pyr

Smash Lord
Is it just me or do a lot of players just let Luigi get back on stage for free? No matter how deep he recovers, most characters can chase him there and the missile is very punishable. I see the same being done with Ness and Diddy too.
I think this is the case. I mean... I get to fly in a straight line for, like, 40 frames or something around that and there the other guy is, just watching me do it.

But, then, I don't see many people going off stage for free damage or gimps in a lot of matchups if it's not going to result in a kill half a second after going off. Seems to be a general problem.

Last edited:

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
I wonder if it's a case of jitters, some characters are just a free dummy during their recovery such as Fox during his up b, Diddy during his up b, Ness during his up b and Luigi during his side b, but players let them get back on despite having moves like meteoring down airs. The recoveries have hitboxes, but they're still ultimately 100% exploitable if you learn to deal with them.

I mean this is the worst that can happen:

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I think people are just afraid of recoveries that have dangerous reversals. Luigi can misfire you or you can get spiked if caught in his down B. He also has quick aerials that might put you in the disadvantaged position if you don't have the range to easily block him off.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I think the main trick against luigi is realising his roll + dash grab are longer range than average, he has a lot of strength within that admittedly LARGE AS **** zone of dominance but his mobility specs means he should be falling short against characters better in that zoning area/further away or are capable of baiting out those actions safely.

The way most Luigi players get a lot of their stuff is admittedly a bit suss. He's pretty dominant from what I see at low and mid level play, like disgustingly so and it's just a matter of players thinking "what do I do about fire ball, what do I do about dash grab, how do I land?" and honestly a lot of the times once you're in that situation there are no answers lol. I could very well see what made Luigi look like mid/upper mid in early Brawl to what was a low tier/borderline feeling may happen in Smash 4 too (not Luigi dropping to low tier, just losing his edge over time).
I don't see Luigi falling off any time soon. He has a great set of tools. He may be lacking in mobility but he more than makes up for it in ko ability. He also doesn't just do well at mid levels play skill but high level as well.

It's going to be interesting to see how the meta shifts.

Also I don't really understand why people continue to put Rosalina in top 3. She's not up there.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Well at least in my case I don't try much offstage because wi-fi and input lag can really mess things up for you offstage so I limit myself to Hydro Pump gimps for the most part. It works on Luigi if he uses Cyclone pretty well especially if he goes up with it enough that Greninja can send him to space with Up-Air during the end lag or just smack him away with F-Air.

I personally don't like going offstage much when playing online and considering one of Greninja's main strenghts is his offstage game that really limits me, but when I play offline I'm a lot more aggressive offstage. Not sure if that's the case for other people though, but playing online makes me feel like it's a lot more likely for me to get hit by something like PK Thunder II or Green Missile.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I played against Luigi enough as Olimar to learn that if he gets knocked offstage, Pikmin Throw messes up Green Missile recoveries as long as I have a good enough shot. Having a secondary hurtbox latched onto Luigi will make the move stop prematurely because it hit the Pikmin, meaning that Olimar doesn't have to put himself at risk of getting hit by Green Missile.

Having a color of Pikmin that's entirely resistant to fire-based attacks and projectiles that cancel out weaker projectiles (purple Pikmin Throw or Fsmash) also really helps in dealing with Luigi's dangerous closeup game.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Warning Received
And as for MK, idunno, I main MK in this game and Ive just been feeling pretty down on him lately, Im looking at it again now and starting to agree he should be higher, Im sure I'll get over it and place him higher in the future. I dont think he's high tier though, too many problems killing and safely harassing and his neutral is garbage in a lot of match ups in a game where good characters in neutral tend to be the good ones.
If you legit struggle to kill anyone other than D3 you shouldn't call yourself a 'MK main' plain and simple.

Edit: And Sonic.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Cuz Falcon is overrated as ****, fite me irl
Overrated doesn't matter when he hits and kills like a ****ing truck compared to the people above him except maybe fox Pikachu Sonic and Rosalina's Luma. While, even tho it's mostly Zero (with some good falcons here or there that he doesn't know about cause he only pays attention to tournaments he attends) Razer etc. Falcon still has more results than many people above him on your tier list. I kno it's an opinion but still.

As for Gren/Villager/Oli > Yoshi/Wario/Peach, show me Yoshi/Wario/Peach results. Tbh, I think all 6 of those characters are really close, but Oli and Villager actually have results
All 6 of them don't have many results.
Oli gets random stuff from Dabuz which he only pulled out against diddy cause of course he screwed rosalina over before the patch and Myran doing work whenever he joins a tournament (placement wise, no idea on tournament wins)
The only results villager gets is when customs is on, though I guess since you included Mii brawler this is a customs tier list, thus those are extremely early to make a tier list right now since people are still finding unbelievably silly crap to this day (like recently wft jumbo hoops) so it's hard to gauge where some characters would go, otherwise palutena would be in top 10 easily and DK up there cause of kong cyclon solely for examples if a custom tierlist.

Also, Greninja is SUPER underrated, hes just ridiculously hard to play, one day though, mark my words, someone will master him and show his true potential and he could even go higher.
I mean, if this is gonna be the excuse for putting Greninja that high, then I'd say Peach ROB Shulk Megaman Mewtwo and maybe GnW can eventually get higher than even Yoshi cause "potential that's there but not yet untapped"
Yoshi certainly doesn't feel like there's any secrets to pull out for him right now unless next patch gives him some ninja Bair and tilt buffs then he might become a monster. Bair not chaining into rest of hits consistently along with horrible landing lag and the endlag on Utilt + ftilt are atrocious.

Last edited:

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
Overrated doesn't matter when he hits and kills like a ****ing truck compared to the people above him except maybe fox Pikachu Sonic and Rosalina's Luma.
help

I agree with Fox and Luma though, while Sonic is average. Also Greninja's moves are weak both in terms of damage and knockback compared to how slow his frame data is. He's fundamentally like a combination of Falcon and Sheik without any of their strengths except recovery (looking at Sheik here obv).

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
This is customs I'm talking about tho
HSB Fsmash and Thunder doesn't kill hard or something?

I will agree with you on Greninja tho, the ******* child of two better characters.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Well, I disagree with the notion of him being figured out to that extent. I can already see tons of optimizations that can be made by even top level Luigis. I don't think he's the Smash4 version of Brawl G&W.

That said, he does have some big flaws that make it difficult for him against characters peppered throughout the roster at all tiers. People considering him within top 10 are silly imo. It's really not terribly hard to keep the green man out long enough to do more damage then what he does when he gets in.
I'm curious as to where you'd place Luigi and who you'd have above him filling out the top 10. I can agree with his shortcomings keeping him out of top 5, but I'm struggling to think of 10 characters definitively better than him to say that a top 10 ranking is "silly" at this point in time.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
As for Gren/Villager/Oli > Yoshi/Wario/Peach, show me Yoshi/Wario/Peach results. Tbh, I think all 6 of those characters are really close, but Oli and Villager actually have results. Tbh I feel like I might wanna make a tier in between A and B and have Oli through Peach in it, but meh, maybe later. Also, Greninja is SUPER underrated, hes just ridiculously hard to play, one day though, mark my words, someone will master him and show his true potential and he could even go higher.
Every time someone says X show no results on this thread a kitty dies.
Seriously stop doing this affirmations when it's obvious that you don't really know if it's true.
WFT? It has like 10 mains in the world (ok maybe more) three of them place themselves in top 3 so often that's even eventhub recognizes it.
Wario? like 2 weeks ago a wario won a tournament, the links is on this topic, a lite search would have been enough
Peach? ok that's tricky, but look for the power ranking thread i dare you to not find at least one
etc...

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
i doubt we'll see any :4peach:take any big tournaments till like several months from now since there's so much tech skill and precision required to play :4peach: at a high level. of course, :4peach: at that level is definitely capable of taking big tournaments, but i dont think we'll see her at that level until a few months down the road.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
I feel like ROB has a great Luigi matchup. It's doable at least. Not only can he keep Luigi out with Gyros and lasers, but he can actually gimp Luigi safely with either Z dropped or thrown Gyros. When Luigi gets in, though... that's a different game entirely.

TriTails

Smash Lord
I'm curious as to where you'd place Luigi and who you'd have above him filling out the top 10. I can agree with his shortcomings keeping him out of top 5, but I'm struggling to think of 10 characters definitively better than him to say that a top 10 ranking is "silly" at this point in time.
I can say... (In no order):
:4diddy::rosalina::4sheik::4yoshi::4fox::4ness::4pikachu::4greninja::4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4zss:
Yeah. Those tweleve characters are what I think better than Luigi:
:4diddy::4sheik::rosalina::4pikachu::4sonic::4zss:: Should be obvious enough.
:4yoshi:: Aerials and mobility. Enough said. And Egg Throw.
:4fox:: Mobility, jab locks, and U-smash.
:4ness:: "What is the meaning of shield?" in a game where shields are strong. And back throw.
:4greninja:: Mobility machine. Really good dash grab. Nice range, and Hydro Pump.
:4pacman:: Namco camp. And surprisingly decent close combat. Grab is the only thing that holds him back.
:4megaman:: Says '**** it' to reflectors despite being a projectile user because lemons. Amazing range and grab speed.
And maaaaybbbeee....
:4metaknight:: U-air U-air U-air U-air U-air Up-B. Did I take a stock? Oh. and also, mobility and attack speed despite being a sword user.
:4mario:: Not sure on this one. But Mario seem to have more 'balanced' MU spread than Luigi. Mario loses no more than 40:60 and wins no more than 60:40. Luigi wins no more than 60:40 yet has a 30:70. Mario seem to win more MUs overall.

Any of those characters' mains critics are welcome.

I feel like ROB has a great Luigi matchup. It's doable at least. Not only can he keep Luigi out with Gyros and lasers, but he can actually gimp Luigi safely with either Z dropped or thrown Gyros. When Luigi gets in, though... that's a different game entirely.
Good luck gimping Jumpless Cyclone.

And ROB is a serious combo food, and his zoning isn't as bad as, say, Mega. Maybe in ROB's favor, but not by much IMO.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Good luck gimping Jumpless Cyclone.

And ROB is a serious combo food, and his zoning isn't as bad as, say, Mega. Maybe in ROB's favor, but not by much IMO.
About cyclone, it's okay for ROB because Dair disjoint and Zdrop gyro (it acts as a hurtbox, so hitlag etc)

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Mobility implies a good neutral, and I guess good zoning is the counter-style to that.

For luigi, zero thinks luigi fireballs are what provide him a top tier neutral (which he says are positive on shield). So you'd have to assess other characters ability to handle that.
I can't wait to get enough MU experience to punish Luigi fireballs on hit.
Because they're safer on shield than on hit, so I'm not sure why ZeRo's shielding them...

TriTails

Smash Lord
Luigis won't always recover low. Personally, I'd rather recover high and run the risks of getting U-aired or U-smashed rather than recover low and get an inevitable spike. Sometimes, you just have to be risky.

Even if Luigi DOES get destroyed off-stage... well, he can gimp ROB off-stage too. Especially with Jumpless Cyclone to D-air. ESPECIALLY since when getting in you can bet he is going to make you hug the air, where ROB's fuel does not refill.

Darn on the N-air though. Makes approaching difficult (Though, entirely possible). I'm just going to slap in 45:55 in ROB's favor until I can see more of the MU.

My previous point still stands though. Luigi is not Top 10. And ABSOLUTELY NOT Top 3, as much as I like to agree on it. The character is just too flawed in this game and he lacks something that is a must for a top tier without strong zoning ability: Mobility.

Last edited:

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
Weird question, but would people be okay if a preliminary tier list was divided into something like this: http://www.mmcafe.com/tiermaker/kof...b68o6yaid39hig35ng48p02rml36-bkf-naitimu_mari? I was curious on KoF XIII's tier list and if it had any despite being considered a really balanced fighting game since talks about ZeRo and Abadango's tier lists came up and people wondering about characters and stuff. Anyway, yes, there's never perfect balance and yes, there are characters who are underwhelming and characters who are just better, but there aren't overwhelming characters in KoF XIII or in Smash 4. By overwhelming, I'm talking about characters invalidating other characters. It's from an old discussion made years ago, though: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/155954/kof13-tier-list-discussion.

So, it's divided between "has faults" and "well-rounded". So, to give examples, Sheik would be somewhere at the top in the "well-rounded" area. Her damage and kill weaknesses aren't really that big of a deal if she can continually keep pressure and she is a safe character who can deal with any state well if not fantastic. Now, Captain Falcon would in the the top as well, but in the "has faults" area. The Capt. is a strong character, but his major weakness is disadvantage. Then take Fox who would also be there because of his issues with shields or safety and weight. So, they're 2 high tiers who have weaknesses, but that doesn't stop them from being strong characters. Let's go with Ganondorf who would be in the "has faults" area, but somewhere in the mid tier. His major weaknesses are his disadvantage, large build, and mobility. Now, for Kirby, he'd be in the well-rounded area. Sure, the little puff can't really approach, he's light, and there's not much he can do for combos out of throws, but he can handle any situation well, his attacks are strong, and his small size can make hitting him troublesome.
Anything without a generic, generalized "best" and "worst" character stands well enough in my book.

I mean obviously you'd want to be placed in the upper right of that chart, but being far to the top or far to the right in general are both good things, even if the opposite isn't true.

Plus, polling for this isn't too difficult. Make two tier lists and glue them together perpendicular to one another. Done.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Luigis won't always recover low. Personally, I'd rather recover high and run the risks of getting U-aired or U-smashed rather than recover low and get an inevitable spike. Sometimes, you just have to be risky.

Even if Luigi DOES get destroyed off-stage... well, he can gimp ROB off-stage too. Especially with Jumpless Cyclone to D-air. ESPECIALLY since when getting in you can bet he is going to make you hug the air, where ROB's fuel does not refill.

Darn on the N-air though. Makes approaching difficult (Though, entirely possible). I'm just going to slap in 45:55 in ROB's favor until I can see more of the MU.

My previous point still stands though. Luigi is not Top 10. And ABSOLUTELY NOT Top 3, as much as I like to agree on it. The character is just too flawed in this game and he lacks something that is a must for a top tier without strong zoning ability: Mobility.
That's what I'm saying! Once one character gets into advantage state, it can really easily lead into a stock. Luigi has a hard time getting out of disadvantage because Nair, while it is a combo breaker, doesn't help him get on the stage, and ROB can use disjoints + gyro to gimp him safely. And on the other side of it, ROB gets trucked once Luigi gets in, and ROB has a really hard time avoiding getting gimped himself.
I could care less if Luigi is top 10, top 5, etc... it isn't worth arguing about. What's more important are his matchups. For example, what is more important about Wolf in Brawl: him being mid tier? Or him having one of the better Meta Knight matchups in the game?
The answer is this: it depends on whether or not you're fighting Meta Knight. Same with the way Peach was with the Ice climbers. She wasn't top tier but when she's fighting them then she might as well be, in that case. Smash 4 is more dependent on matchups because there are so many characters. Counterpicks are going to become more and more important as this game develops. That is why it's not worth arguing if Luigi is 3rd or 4th or whatever.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
I feel confident saying that Mario is overall a better character than Luigi, but he has an unpleasant matchup against the green one. But Gust Cape helps out a bit (Luigi's recovery has always been super susceptible to capes, and adding a windbox to the cape excerbates it).

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
@ NachoOfCheese NachoOfCheese I see this argument brought up again and again, and I keep saying it's a little more nuanced. Tier lists do more than simply frame our perception of the game and its balance, they're also a concise representation of our meta game to the outside FGC, even moreso than a MU chart and they can even influence character representation (though whether that's a good or a bad thing is anyone's guess).

Because tier lists take factors such as MUs into account, they give a rough idea of 'who's good to use' and 'roughly how likely you are to do well with x character' to the swift reader - in other words, they serve as a quick snapshot of our meta without forcing someone to read character threads for hours attempting to ascertain what they should keep in mind when it comes to competitive smash brothers.

To an extent I agree with you, but I think tier lists are important as a way to sum up the things we believe about the meta, and that's why character positions are at the least, semi-important.

Last edited:

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
I feel confident saying that Mario is overall a better character than Luigi, but he has an unpleasant matchup against the green one. But Gust Cape helps out a bit (Luigi's recovery has always been super susceptible to capes, and adding a windbox to the cape excerbates it).
I'm always so surprised by the relative lack of customs usage from Mario mains. Like that characters gets so much from customs, and yet so many people just go straight to the default kit no matter what (which is still a great character).

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
Because tier lists take factors such as MUs into account,
Do they, though? I think I can confidently say we don't know every MU in the game (and probably never realistically will), plus many characters who are overlooked or ignored place poorly in the tier list merely due to being overlooked or ignored.

I think tier lists are important as a way to sum up the things we believe about the meta, and that's why character positions are at the least, semi-important.
I think tier lists are the lowest denominator of the sum of all parts. It's one-dimensional, but it's one-dimensional as a result. It's a list, and a list goes along one axis.

However, do we have the branches that lead to this summary, for people to explore why the tier list is as it is? If a tier list is the sum of all the things we believe, where can I concisely find those things we believe?

@ZarroTsu brought this up on the previous pages. There're so many factors that could be considered that, while a tier list is a viable result of all its parts, it's useless. Just because high-tier characters do better 'in general' than the low tiers really doesn't mean they do better when fighting against these low-tiers, directly.

Sheik may be S tier, and Kirby may be (B~C?) tier. But (for sake of argument), Kirby could have the advantage over Sheik. In this perspective, the tier list is incorrect. Arguing that this perspective doesn't matter makes the prospect as a whole fall apart.

As a summary of its parts, the parts themselves need to be available, or the summary itself is useless. The game isn't so black-and-white.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Nice to see people talk about froggy for once. And yes, I also think Greninja beats Luigi. One of the best players in the UK (Jmiller, there was an article on reddit featuring an interview with him recently) mains Luigi, we haven't played much but last time we did I went around even with him. Perhaps a little worse but no worse than a 45% win rate for me. And Jmiller is great, almost certainly a better player than me. So that's why I believe Greninja beats Luigi, he should win on paper and I have similar results in practice.

And yeah, people REALLY need to stop just watching Luigi recover! Nado is great especially if you can use it like ConCon but he can't ledgesnap with it and there's significant ending lag. His recovery is certainly gimpable.

Obviously ZeRo has earned the right to believe in his own opinions very strongly and I respect him for putting it out there. But I still don't agree with him about Luigi being a top 5 character. I don't think he is considering the character's massive flaws that plenty of characters outside his own top 8 can abuse. Luigi is a bit anti-meta in the sense that he does very well against the best characters in the game, but he does not steamroll everyone below him.

Also Luigi's fireballs might be positive on shield near max range but he cannot trap you in your shield, shield drop animation is so quick you can always drop shield and jab. Fireballs are amazing, but I really don't think they're as good as ZeRo makes out. I still think ConCon gave him nightmares that skewed his opinion on fireballs haha.

help

I agree with Fox and Luma though, while Sonic is average. Also Greninja's moves are weak both in terms of damage and knockback compared to how slow his frame data is. He's fundamentally like a combination of Falcon and Sheik without any of their strengths except recovery (looking at Sheik here obv).
This is customs I'm talking about tho
HSB Fsmash and Thunder doesn't kill hard or something?

I will agree with you on Greninja tho, the ******* child of two better characters.
I guess I'll address both these posts and say I thought we'd long abandoned the "Greninja is Sheik but worse" myth. I play both characters. They have similar mobility (Greninja's is better), and good projectiles for forcing approaches (Sheik's is better) but that's really it. There are a bunch of similarities between them that I believe are coincidental such as both of them having powerful sweetspot Usmashes, Uair drill kicks, stall-then-fall Dairs etc but these just... don't matter. Sheik is "the queen of obnoxious safety", a fast-but-weak combo machine who pressures, throws out hitboxes and annoys you to death. If you try to play Greninja like that then yes, you've got a worse Sheik. But that's not his optimal playstyle, which is why the comparison baffles me. Greninja has strengths over Sheik that he should work into his optimal playstyle to set them apart. He has better mobility, better midrange (leads to the Falcon comparison which I will touch on later), better damage per hit, better kill potential, and IMO better edgeguarding and probably harder punishes.

Here would probably be a good time to say Greninja's damage per hit is not bad at all. His overall frame data blows, I grant you; it's undoubtedly his biggest weakness. His damage per hit is fine though. 14% 16f Fair, 11% 12f Nair, 9% 7f Uair, 9% 5f Bair, 7% 5f Dtilt, freakin' 19% 12f Usmash sweetspot (and for a "sweetspot" it's easy to hit with). He doesn't have weak attacks. Also a bunch of his two-hit combos deal huge amounts of damage, any combo into Fair will deal over 20% damage and a lot of moves combo into it.

But yeah, honestly if Sheik and Greninja weren't both, y'know, ninjas, I doubt people would ever have drawn this comparison. Actually if Sheik keeps getting nerfed and Greninja ends up better will people start saying Sheik is a worse version of Greninja?

The Falcon comparison is interesting because I've been thinking that Greninja's midrange is a bit like Falcon's, in that they both have good dash attacks and excellent dash grabs (their DGs are both top 5 in the game IMO) which lead to high damage true combos. Falcon's better at "Falconing" in this way but Greninja is better at it than most. And like, MK does a lot of "Falconing" and people don't say he's a worse version of Falcon so whatever. Aside from similarities in their mid-range Greninja is literally nothing like Falcon, fundamentally or otherwise, I shouldn't need to explain that.

So yeah, IMO it's not fair to say Greninja is a Sheik/Falcon ******* child when he plays very little like either.

@Z'zgashi Greninja might be a little high on your list for the current meta but I totally agree about his potential. He is a very hard character to use now, but I think you get a LOT out of the time you put into that character. His edgeguarding in particular is criminally underrated, I honestly think it could get to the point where he's considered one of the best edgeguarders in the game. And yes, there are plenty of other "hidden potential" characters who could end up above him like Peach or ROB, but I think Greninja's mobility gives him an edge over most because there's just so much you can do with a mobile character. We will see, though. Whining about it on Smashboards isn't gonna change public perception of Greninja, we need someone to really go ham and get some results with him. And in a Luigi-infested meta where Sonic usage is dropping, Greninja really should be able to shine.

EDIT: @ TheReflexWonder TheReflexWonder I'm not saying you're wrong but that literally applies to soooooo many characters. There are hundreds of situations in a normal match when you could be thinking "I wish I was Sheik right now" no matter who you're using. Greninja isn't a special case here, he doesn't deserve to be labelled as one.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Greninja is a worse Sheik in many situations that regularly come up in a normal match. Sheik is so intuitive to play that it makes people want to use Greninja the same way, which doesn't work nearly as well.

It's just a simple comparison to draw because of their general movement. Few characters can jump and weave like they can.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Saying Greninja is a worse Sheik is like asking Luigi to be Green Mario

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Except that Luigi doesn't move anything like Mario in terms of physics and that their strengths lie in very different places.

In terms of moves that are reliably easy to apply and land in neutral, Greninja's pretty weak damage-wise as it is, IMO.

Last edited:

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
If Shiek is the best character in the game everybody is a worse Shiek because they're all below her. Greninja gets a worse wrap because it's also a ninja as well as a newcomer with some similar moves.

I've never faced a high level Luigi, I need some more lab time before I call myself tournament approved but I've rarely had a problem edge guarding him as Marth. He's just so linear, I can Dolphin Slash, F-Air, B-Air, N-Air, or Counter him away, and once that double jump is gone he shouldn't be coming back. And Marth can out manouver him any day of the week. Luigi wins in the Neutral, and once he gets in it's a definite problem but off the ledge, Marth dominates. Anecdotal evidence I know but that's just my two cents.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
@ NachoOfCheese NachoOfCheese I see this argument brought up again and again, and I keep saying it's a little more nuanced. Tier lists do more than simply frame our perception of the game and its balance, they're also a concise representation of our meta game to the outside FGC, even moreso than a MU chart and they can even influence character representation (though whether that's a good or a bad thing is anyone's guess).

Because tier lists take factors such as MUs into account, they give a rough idea of 'who's good to use' and 'roughly how likely you are to do well with x character' to the swift reader - in other words, they serve as a quick snapshot of our meta without forcing someone to read character threads for hours attempting to ascertain what they should keep in mind when it comes to competitive smash brothers.

To an extent I agree with you, but I think tier lists are important as a way to sum up the things we believe about the meta, and that's why character positions are at the least, semi-important.
Well, yeah. I'm not saying we don't need a tier list, we should really have one. What I'm saying is that "top 5 vs top 10" arguments don't get us anywhere. This game has almost 50 characters and counting. The bottom line is that Luigi is very viable in tournament. Who cares if he's top 5 or top 10? Unless you're making a full tier list, it shouldn't matter.
But if there is to be an official tier list, then we've gotta figure out who will make it and how. Because community tier lists, frankly, are garbage.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Except that Luigi doesn't move anything like Mario in terms of physics and that their strengths lie in very different places.

In terms of moves that are reliably easy to apply and land in neutral, Greninja's pretty weak damage-wise as it is, IMO.
Greninja and Sheik's strengths are also in very different places.

Sheik's strength is her really safe pressure on the opponent with her really fast moves with little lag attached to them and being able to camp with her silly needles with little to no risk

Greninja's strength is his punish game which is super good because he has both good range and mobility to keep the opponent away and once he gets in he can cause tons of damage because his damage output is tons better than Sheik and he also kills much earlier.

Sheik is a rushdown/campy character depending on the player. Greninja is bait-and-punish kind of character, they have completely different gameplans. Just by saying that most people want to play Greninja the same way as Sheik doesn't mean anything because if people want to play Greninja that way then they really need to wake up and realize that having two ninjas in the game doesn't mean they play the same.

Also, what the guy above said. Everybody in this game is a worse Sheik because they're not as good as her and considering you're comparing Greninja, who plays completely differently, to her, then you should be comparing everyone else to her as well.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think they're both played optimally by playing hit-and-run with a big focus on the "run" part. Sure, Sheik can do other things by virtue of her incredible skillset, but I still feel that general mobility is the single most important attribute to focus on in terms of what your character is capable of.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
And Greninja's mobility is better than Sheik's lol. It's probably one of the best in the game, the only other ones I can think of that compare are Fox (mainly on the ground), ZSS and Sonic (again mainly on the ground).

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
somewhat off-topic; me and my friends had an online tourney recently and i made a tier list while i was spectating. i'll prob link it later. while doing this my friend who is a :4littlemac:main told me he's (:4littlemac:) a mid tier character, :4sheik: got a :falco: treatment, and that i underestimate all of the heavies. this guy also got second because no one has any clue how to stop :4littlemac: fsmash spam, including my FG warrior friend who counterpicked T&C against him. as :4ludwig:.

@Ffamran i've always wanted to make a list like that, just never found a layout. might use that later.

i doubt we'll see any :4peach:take any big tournaments till like several months from now since there's so much tech skill and precision required to play :4peach: at a high level. of course, :4peach: at that level is definitely capable of taking big tournaments, but i dont think we'll see her at that level until a few months down the road.
:4peach:2:4peach:0:4peach:z:4peach:z:4peach: here we come

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom