• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Taking all circumstances, he can technically recover with his custom down and up B.
Outside of punishing ledge jumps (which are too low to the ground to get anything other than aerial Down-B), how would Ganondorf possibly land a footstool on an opponent in a real match? Am I missing something?
Usually after a Dair you'll see one, of course it's best if frame-cancelled in order to cover any option.
Situationally after a tipman, an USmash or a DA at low percents are the easiest ways of landing a footstool, among all of them Dair is surely the best.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
But D-Air requires an opponent to miss their tech, which isn't difficult to react to. It will become less likely that players miss their techs as they get accustomed to doing so with time and experience.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
My bad, I guess Kirby's air speed was nerfed from Brawl? Or MK's was buffed. I remember his air speed being *** in that game.
MK's was buffed quite a bit. MK's used to be 0.75

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
can someone explain how :4mario: is a good mu for :4ganondorf: but :4luigi: isnt? both combo :4ganondorf: for days and have short range, easily beat by dtilt/ftilt. is :4luigi:s combo ability really that much better to the point where its disadvantageous for :4ganondorf:?
Kill power, mainly. Mario's kill power is sub-par, and the longer Ganon lives, the harder he can bust you up.
Don't all of these characters just edge guard Ganon to death? Like, why is this never a factor in talking about Ganon? His recovery is quite terrible, his aerials have poor range and startup outside of uair and nair (and even then he can't afford to trade offstage), and his air speed is poor.
What. Uair beats everything. That's not an exaggeration. You can't challenge Uair. It's a big bad F6 disjointed bicycle of pain. It's true Ganon's actual recovery is bad, but as long as he's able to choose when to use it, he's fine, since any edgeguarding attempts when he hasn't used his recovery can be slapped aside with the flick of a c-stick. The only way you're ever going to challenge anything Ganondorf does is if you beat out the start-up, which is possible usually, but not against Uair
The idea you can deal with Meta Knight's air camping is idealistic. You cannot. Meta Knight has the control. Up air is strong, but it is not disjointed, and you're trying to out prioritize a disjointed frame 4 move.
Uair isn't a sword or anything, but it is disjointed. It's not as noticeable because it's a vertical disjoint instead of a horizontal one, but it's definitely there.
Outside of punishing ledge jumps (which are too low to the ground to get anything other than aerial Down-B), how would Ganondorf possibly land a footstool on an opponent in a real match? Am I missing something?
Ganon's Dair sets up footstools. Courtesy of Gungnir. Watch the second Dair.
But D-Air requires an opponent to miss their tech, which isn't difficult to react to. It will become less likely that players miss their techs as they get accustomed to doing so with time and experience.
You can get a guaranteed footstool out of a Dair at specific %'s. It's incredibly situational, difficult to pull off, and won't happen very often, but when it does Ganon can take a stock with ease.

Also, I specifically wouldn't put the MK vs Ganon matchup as very far from even, 55:45 at worst either way. Both can kill each other well (MK has kill setups and Ganondorf can abuse MK's weight) and get a lot of reward on-hit. MK has speed but Ganon has range.

In general, there's a significant difference between committing to an approach and making a hard read to approach. Ganon commits to all his approaches, meaning, if he doesn't land the approach, he's going to get punished. This also means he is not playing Rock Paper Scissors just to approach. He doesn't always need to outright guess what his opponent will do to get it. Ganondorf has five meh, but workable approaches, Nair, Flame Choke, Dash Attack, Wizkick, and empty hop-->grab/something else. He doesn't have a good approach game, by any means, but nobody can just wall him out for free.

My point is, there's no "win button" in any of Ganon's matchups, advantaged or disadvantaged. You can't just say "this one tactic is a hard counter and thus it's 99:1". Ganondorf can always outplay his opponent, and his opponent can always outplay Ganon.

This honestly applies to Smash 4 matchup discussion in general. You should never find yourself saying anything along the lines of "Well, X can tap dance, and Y can't, so X wins 100:0 easy win" unless you have some sort of infinite out of a grab. That's by far the easiest way to give Y a free win when you come across a competent one.

Last edited:

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
That is why I said that it's better to frame cancel the move, by doing that the combo is converted in a tech-chase, also hardly ever people expect a Dair close to the ground because of his high ending lag, and stuff that isn't expected takes 30 frames to be properly reacted to, but that is another story since the opponent must not see his start-up lag in. Order to not react with a shield b/c of freeze frames.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Ganon's Dair sets up footstools. Courtesy of Gungnir. Watch the second Dair.

You can get a guaranteed footstool out of a Dair at specific %'s. It's incredibly situational, difficult to pull off, and won't happen very often, but when it does Ganon can take a stock with ease.
In the video shown, Falco had three chances to tech the ground and severely mitigate the damage done: Once immediately after each D-Air, and once after he bounced from the first D-Air.

You can tech any meteor D-Air in Smash 4 whether you're grounded or not. It was, IMO, a poor design choice that will make on-stage D-Airs significantly worse as people get better at teching. Again, this is relying on an opponent missing a tech that is quite easy to react to. The timing may be strict, but with his D-Air having high start-up and the electricity causing significant hitlag, you shouldn't ever get caught off guard to the point where you miss your chance to tech.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
You can tech any meteor D-Air in Smash 4 whether you're grounded or not. It was, IMO, a poor design choice that will make on-stage D-Airs significantly worse as people get better at teching. Again, this is relying on an opponent missing a tech that is quite easy to react to. The timing may be strict, but with his D-Air having high start-up and the electricity causing significant hitlag, you shouldn't ever get caught off guard to the point where you miss your chance to tech.
I don't think you can tech during the hitlag, though I need to test it. Footstools aren't something Ganondorf can just bust out of nowhere, but he definitely does have possibilities to use them. I know you can tech onstage Meteors, but I think that might be even less plausible than landing a Dair footstool every match with Ganon.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You can't tech during the hitlag, no, but unless you're frame canceling (ugh, I hate that name) your D-Air, you both incur the same amount of hitlag, so the extra hitlag is just giving them more time to respond to the D-Air and get ready to tech.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Also if you want to see some Ganon action Ray_Kalm is attending this tournament. You can see him coming up and in past broadcasts at about 3:26:00.
You can't tech during the hitlag, no, but unless you're frame canceling (ugh, I hate that name) your D-Air, you both incur the same amount of hitlag, so the extra hitlag is just giving them more time to respond to the D-Air and get ready to tech.
I am almost 100% sure that the tech needs to be around the moment they hit you, not once you first start moving. I'll have to test this later.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I'm not quite sure. Greninja has the speed and disjoints to consistently threaten Wario, but he doesn't do much damage per exchange, and Wario thrives on taking advantage of missed precision. Greninja also struggles to recover reliably against Wario, as well. I haven't played the matchup extensively, but my gut tells me it's even-ish, and perhaps slightly in Wario's favor, but it may get better for Greninja over time as they get used to maintaining pressure in ways that Wario can't reliably fight back against.

He has to keep the pressure on, even if he's not on top of Wario the whole time. He has the tools to do it, for sure, but Wario often wins the war of attrition, and limited damage output makes it hard to prevent that from happening.
Hm? Greninja's damage output is pretty good actually considering how many combos he has.

I mean N-Air -> F-Smash at early percentages is a super easy combo that does 26% fresh. N-Air -> D-Tilt -> Up-Smash also works early and deals 37%.

And how does Greninja struggle to recover against Wario? His recovery is almost ungimpable, I can't see how Wario can consistently edgeguard him.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I am almost 100% sure that the tech needs to be around the moment they hit you, not once you first start moving. I'll have to test this later.
Testing this now and you're correct. Does the tech happen before hitstun is incurred, in that case? If so, that means that a teched D-Air is even more punishable than it would be otherwise...

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Testing this now and you're correct. Does the tech happen before hitstun is incurred, in that case? If so, that means that a teched D-Air is even more punishable than it would be otherwise...
As far as I know, yes. And yes a teched Dair would be very punishable. But overall, I prefer Dair being harder to tech and allowing for punishes than for it to be easy to tech but not allowing punishes.

In fact, this makes me wonder. I see a lot of people miss techs on ground bounces (where you get meteored in midair and bounce off the ground like it was a wall) and end up air dodging as a result. Is the window where you can input shield smaller or is it just a matter of reaction time vs time it takes to hit the ground?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
What. Uair beats everything. That's not an exaggeration. You can't challenge Uair. It's a big bad F6 disjointed bicycle of pain. It's true Ganon's actual recovery is bad, but as long as he's able to choose when to use it, he's fine, since any edgeguarding attempts when he hasn't used his recovery can be slapped aside with the flick of a c-stick. The only way you're ever going to challenge anything Ganondorf does is if you beat out the start-up, which is possible usually, but not against Uair
You absolutely can challenge Ganondorfs aerials off-stage what are you talking about. Aerials trade. If ganondorf is recovering anyone whose hitbox extends to his hurtbox can straight up challenge that because he is the one with his back to the blast zone. Home boy isn't Yoshi, puff or anyone else with the recovery or air mobility to discredit that. He made a fair point in that some of those characters will threaten ganondorf off-stage significantly.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Hm? Greninja's damage output is pretty good actually considering how many combos he has.

I mean N-Air -> F-Smash at early percentages is a super easy combo that does 26% fresh. N-Air -> D-Tilt -> Up-Smash also works early and deals 37%.

And how does Greninja struggle to recover against Wario? His recovery is almost ungimpable, I can't see how Wario can consistently edgeguard him.
If you're just going to jump at Wario with N-Air, you're gonna get caught by Neutral-B a lot. I would tell you to poke with F-Air, Jab, D-Tilt and general outranging stuff.

Greninja has a really hard time getting off the edge safely against Wario. He doesn't have a fast aerial to discourage Wario from being oppressive. Wario Neutral-B beats Ledge Jump, Ledge Climb, Ledge Attack and any ledge hop aerial that doesn't involve Greninja falling down a decent bit before jumping up. Crashing the Bike into the stage and Wafting it covers the ledge with an insane KO move for 22 frames, the threat of which forces Greninja to go above the ledge, which can be punished like normal (and with the Waft if Wario didn't spend it while scaring Greninja to go high).

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
If you're just going to jump at Wario with N-Air, you're gonna get caught by Neutral-B a lot. I would tell you to poke with F-Air, Jab, D-Tilt and general outranging stuff.

Greninja has a really hard time getting off the edge safely against Wario. He doesn't have a fast aerial to discourage Wario from being oppressive. Wario Neutral-B beats Ledge Jump, Ledge Climb, Ledge Attack and any ledge hop aerial that doesn't involve Greninja falling down a decent bit before jumping up. Crashing the Bike into the stage and Wafting it covers the ledge with an insane KO move for 22 frames, the threat of which forces Greninja to go above the ledge, which can be punished like normal (and with the Waft if Wario didn't spend it while scaring Greninja to go high).
Ah, okay I get it now.

Though can Wario really punish a high recovery from Greninja all that well? Hydro Pump goes really far and Greninja slides upon hitting the ground so he gets a lot of distance and time to be able to act again while the opponent is coming after him. I can't see Wario getting to Greninja outside of maybe the bike (I don't play Wario often so I don't really remember how fast the bike is).

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
You absolutely can challenge Ganondorfs aerials off-stage what are you talking about. Aerials trade. If ganondorf is recovering anyone whose hitbox extends to his hurtbox can straight up challenge that because he is the one with his back to the blast zone. Home boy isn't Yoshi, puff or anyone else with the recovery or air mobility to discredit that. He made a fair point in that some of those characters will threaten ganondorf off-stage significantly.
But a good point to make is that Dairs, especially in Smash 4 aren't traditionally particularly strong. I can think of Rosalina and maybe Link and then I'm not sure who else would really have that kind of hitbox that would extend to Ganon himself...?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Ah, okay I get it now.

Though can Wario really punish a high recovery from Greninja all that well? Hydro Pump goes really far and Greninja slides upon hitting the ground so he gets a lot of distance and time to be able to act again while the opponent is coming after him. I can't see Wario getting to Greninja outside of maybe the bike (I don't play Wario often so I don't really remember how fast the bike is).
The Bike is fast enough to catch him, yeah. Going full speed with the Bike and starting the wheelie immediately after running into an opponent causes the Bike to hit an opponent a second time before they fly off (even at high percents), dealing 19% altogether if the Bike is not staled prior.

The lingering hitbox on D-Air covers some ledge options and lets you go high, too, functioning as a decisive KO tool with no risk if you don't want to spend your Waft.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
But a good point to make is that Dairs, especially in Smash 4 aren't traditionally particularly strong. I can think of Rosalina and maybe Link and then I'm not sure who else would really have that kind of hitbox that would extend to Ganon himself...?
Swordfighter - fair,Nair,dair,
Ike- everything.
Shulk - everything.
Actually **** it.
The bulk of disjointed moves will clash with Ganondorf. For characters like Kirby and puff their air mobility allows then to weave in to threaten dorf, Kirby also boasts stone.
A lot of those characters can challenge dorfs attempt to recover assuredly. That does not mean they will be successful but if he tries to throw out an aerial in response they are both getting hit. Hell check out the lost in question. A heap of disjointed characters or players with substantial air maneuverability.

Ganondorfs advantage shouldn't be confused for his disadvantage.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
The Bike is fast enough to catch him, yeah. Going full speed with the Bike and starting the wheelie immediately after running into an opponent causes the Bike to hit an opponent a second time before they fly off (even at high percents), dealing 19% altogether if the Bike is not staled prior.

The lingering hitbox on D-Air covers some ledge options and lets you go high, too, functioning as a decisive KO tool with no risk if you don't want to spend your Waft.
Hm, okay then.

Seems like Wario is the one character that can really edgeguard Greninja. I'll need to get some experience with this MU later

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What angle is considered ideal for recovering low with Ganondorf? I imagine it is such that you have the maximum horizontal range from the ledge, right?

Ganondorf still has the unfortunate situation where he takes ages to regain control after a successful Up-B. I know that Wario and Jigglypuff are best off purposefully getting hit, holding Up and teching to get the jumping tech, then double-jumping into a free whatever I want. I imagine most characters can do something similar...

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Seems like Wario is the one character that can really edgeguard Greninja.
This makes me curious. Is there a character Wario can't edgeguard? It's really one of the areas he excels completely at.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
If it makes you feel better, I'm rather adamant about the idea that Wario is the best (l)edgeguarder in the game!
I can see that really. That command grab just shuts down so many things. Plus the bike thing with the waft is really dangerous too.

Plus he has great airspeed and good aerials for offstage play as well I imagine while also having a very good recovery himself.

What are Wario's weaknesses though? The only thing I can think of is that he can struggle to get a kill thanks to a lack of kill setups (I think).

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Not sure Bite should not be an exceptionally strong tool against Greninja on the ledge moreso than anyone else, ledgedrop Uair is a perfectly fine ledgedrop aerial speed-wise (I concede it's stage dependent and dependent on Wario's spacing as to whether you can hit him with it). Failing that, ledgedrop Hydro Pump allows Greninja to evacuate to the other side of the stage. I will test later whether it is reasonable for Wario to get through Bite's ending lag and bike into Greninja on reaction.

EDIT: Oh, Greninja's high double jump is useful here too. He doesn't necessarily have to use an aerial. Just ledgedrop, jump above Wario and fastfall into shield, or even fastfall Nair/Dair if Wario tries to counter-attack. He also has good air speed so double jumping behind Wario and using the C-stick to input Bair (which has fairly low landing lag) also seems safe. If Wario is spaced so that Bite will catch you as you jump up, you can ledgedrop Uair. If he is spaced further back so that he's out of range of ledgedrop Uair but still trapping your ledge options, then ledgedrop double jump is safe. Now I'm not saying that Wario can't cover these options because he definitely can but unless he can cover all of them on reaction it doesn't seem like he can trap Greninja on the ledge that badly. You made some excellent points but I also think your description made it seem like Greninja has fewer options than he actually does.

EDIT 2: Actually come to think of it I'm going to test whether there is a sweetspot range for Wario to both avoid ledgedrop Uair AND cover standard ledge jump with Bite. It seems to me that Wario needs to be very close to the ledge to actually cover ledge jump and doing so would put him in range of Uair but I'm not sure, I'll test it out.

Greninja seems better equipped than most to deal with Wario's bike crash + waft edgeguard because he has a teleport, a counter, a high double jump and good high recovery. What you described seems really strong but if Wario commits to jumping offstage then Greninja should be able to Shadow Sneak or Hydro Pump back to the stage fairly easily. And if Wario is caught at the wrong time he could die for getting hit with Shadow Sneak's back kick.

I don't disagree that Wario is one of the best edgeguarders in the game and Wario can certainly edgeguard Greninja, but once again I do not believe he can cover all of his options at once on reaction. I don't think Greninja is particularly vulnerable to Wario's edgeguarding compared to other characters.

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
What angle is considered ideal for recovering low with Ganondorf? I imagine it is such that you have the maximum horizontal range from the ledge, right?

Ganondorf still has the unfortunate situation where he takes ages to regain control after a successful Up-B. I know that Wario and Jigglypuff are best off purposefully getting hit, holding Up and teching to get the jumping tech, then double-jumping into a free whatever I want. I imagine most characters can do something similar...
Best way to recover as Ganondorf is hugging the stage so you slide up the stage as you up-b. It's a good position for avoiding hits, and even if you do get hit you can try to tech the stage.

And yes Dark Dive's grab is terrible offstage. I'm pretty sure every character in the game can tech it and murderficate Ganon before he can do anything. It's part of what makes Dark Fists so good.

@ FullMoon FullMoon AFAIK, Wario's weaknesses are: Short range and generally poor killing ability outside of Waft.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wario covers ledge options really nicely but I'm not sure if he's the single best at it.

:059:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
When you consider reliability as well as damage/KO potential, I'm quite confident.
Well considering that 10 characters die immediately regardless of percentage, and the other 42 are cut down to 1 or 2 get up options when there is a red trampoline on the ledge,

I'm going to have to disagree. This only gets better with meteor trampoline because then 11 characters will instantly die and the set up is a lot quicker. We also get a frame 3 spike that can hit through the lips of the stage soooo...

Including but not limited to:
Hydrant + trampoline traps
Bell + trampoline traps
Trampoline + smash attack traps

It is incredibly hard to return to the stage against a Pacman unless you can avoid the ledge altogether. Even then, without a platform, a side B can catch your landing.

Wrong @ ROB and Pac-Man
Correct @ Villager

Villager is stronger at it imo.

:059:
Read my post above for knowledge.
And I could have sworn that gyro ledge traps were unholy

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
sses though? The only thing I can think of is that he can struggle to get a kill thanks to a lack of kill setups (I think).
Same old same old. Poor range on his attacks makes it hard to deal with certain normals. That's about it.... I think? He's pretty well-rounded.

Also he doesn't struggle to KO at all. The waft is arguably the single best KO option in the game (and he can combo into it via Nair)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wario has no combo game as well so his damage output can be lackluster.

But yeah he's not short on KO options even ignoring waft.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Hang on, Wario can't hold his Bite infinitely? He's forced into the ending lag animation after about 2 seconds.

I didn't know that. And that kind of changes everything cause you can ledge jump on reaction to his mouth clamping shut. Or ledge attack pre-emptively.

Put me in the camp for :4pacman: and especially :4villager: having stronger ledge trap games (not necessarily edgeguarding though).

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You may be surprised how little endlag Wario's Neutral-B has in this game. You don't have to hold it, either--It comes out on Frame 8.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Hang on, Wario can't hold his Bite infinitely? He's forced into the ending lag animation after about 2 seconds.

I didn't know that. And that kind of changes everything cause you can ledge jump on reaction to his mouth clamping shut. Or ledge attack pre-emptively.

Put me in the camp for :4pacman: and especially :4villager: having stronger ledge trap games (not necessarily edgeguarding though).
It is worth noting it has fairly low endlag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom