• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I'm going to look at that right now. If what I think you're saying is true...why has nobody talked about it until now?
@Cassio mentioned it, but as far as I know Pikachus have been doing it for a while.

Pikachu should always be ledge trumping you, no matter what. It's part of his gameplan. So don't go for the ledge. He wants that.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
@Cassio mentioned it, but as far as I know Pikachus have been doing it for a while.

Pikachu should always be ledge trumping you, no matter what. It's part of his gameplan. So don't go for the ledge. He wants that.
It's just one of the hilariously many things pikachu can do to you offstage.
that effing rat is trying to outdo villager.
I think you can guess how i feel about when my opponent is offstage :4villagerf::4pikachu:

In other stuff man when I play a good player as pika i feel like I'm going to melt into a puddle of sweat. One mess up and its game over for me!
In the topic of Best Bairs in this game:

btw guys we have a thread for best back air somewhere
and dayum I thought this was Smash 4 not Marvel 3

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
there both quick i know that much at least.
We cannot deny it...Falco's is the quickest, except in landing lag. The attack comes out just as fast as MK's F-Tilt.

Larry will be larry,he means well.
I said I can argue, it doesn't mean I will. Putting Ganondorf in there was a joke in the first place because of his huge frame window needed to attack.

Last edited:

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
On the topic of Pika-trumping, can't it just be avoided by mashing the get-up option as you snap the ledge? If you're quick enough, you can jump/roll/neutral get up before you get trumped IIRC

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm going to look at that right now. If what I think you're saying is true...why has nobody talked about it until now?
Honestly, I don't know. I've noticed this fairly early on but figured it was a property of grabbing the ledge with QA, because Pika's recovery from the ledge is insane and I'm wondering why they made it that way.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Most bairs can drag the opponent towards you and provide you crossup potential. It just makes good bairs such as Sheik's that much better.

On the topic of Pika-trumping, can't it just be avoided by mashing the get-up option as you snap the ledge? If you're quick enough, you can jump/roll/neutral get up before you get trumped IIRC
Pika can escape from the ledge much earlier than other characters (was it 10 frames earlier?). I'd probably just roll/getup and take a weak punish from Pikachu than try anything risky if I have no other choice but to grab the edge.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
How well does Triple D do against Mii Brawler? It might be MU unfamiliarity, but the fact that a Triple D made it to winners is pretty awesome. Here's the video from showdowngg - part of it is cut off, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CGO657NlsE.

We cannot deny it...Falco's is the quickest, except in landing lag. The attack comes out just as fast as MK's F-Tilt.
Falco's Bair is frame 4 just like Sheik, Mega Man, and Pikachu's. Of the 4, Pikachu's stays out the longest since it's a multi-hit while Falco and Sheik's are one hit and Mega Man's a three-hit Bair. Pikachu's Bair stays out for 30 frames, Sheik's is out for 11 frames with the strong hit at frames 4-6 and the weak hit at frames 7-14, Falco's lasts only for 8 frames with the strong hit out for frames 4-5 and the weak hit for frames 6-11, and Mega Man's Bair out for 7 frames with the first hit at frame 4-4, second at 7-7, and the third hit at 10-10. For range, Sheik has the most range and it looks like a sex kick, but I'm not sure, then probably Mega Man, Falco, and Pikachu, but I'm not sure on Pikachu since Pikachu spins parallel to the ground.

For reliability, it's probably Mega Man's for kills, then Sheik's, and then Falco's. Why Falco's and not Pikachu's? Pikachu's Bair isn't for outright killing, in terms of comboing. In terms of comboing, it's probably Pikachu, Sheik, Mega Man, and still Falco. The strong hit kills Pit on center stage of Final Destination/Omega stages at 120% while the weak hit kills him at 241%. That's double and for how long the strong hit is out, how much range he has, and his air speed, Falco needs to be on point, but that precision rewards itself well.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
My standard definition of footsies is the act of playing the game. Not your game, not your opponents game. THE game as a whole. Only when you play the game, you can think two steps ahead and react accordingly to your intelligent prediction (read).
I believe this really should get more emphasis. The performance of footsies is what sets the bad players from the good players, and what sets the good players from the great players.

A Mario in my local scene is Top 10 in the PR, and he consistently places higher than me. Whenever I watch his matches, there are something I notice I'm clearly better than him at. I maximize my damage, I keep momentum, and I've been told I'm really good at making my opponents feel pressured because I'm always chasing them down. In other words, I'm very strong in the advantaged state. I love the advantaged state.

But this Mario doesn't really do that. He doesn't work on maximizing damage or keeping momentum. Instead, he works on reading his opponent, making the right guess, and stuffing his opponent's option. In other words, he's completely willing to play the neutral game even if he doesn't get the most out of a hit confirm. And he places higher than me.

Footsies are far and beyond the most important aspect of Smash, no question.

NairWizard

Somewhere
But this Mario doesn't really do that. He doesn't work on maximizing damage or keeping momentum. Instead, he works on reading his opponent, making the right guess, and stuffing his opponent's option.

This is a misapplication of the word footsies. What you are describing with "reading his opponent" and "making the right guess" is just called reading. This is not how a strong neutral game is played, though reads are certainly one way to win a match. Playing footsies generally means baiting and punishing from midrange. It isn't about reading your opponent, but instead making your opponent make a mistake or spacing yourself so that no matter what your opponent does he leaves himself open to your attack (for instance, when I move Pikachu into d-tilt range, I know I'm winning the footsie war).

Example:
Moving around and spacing n-airs so that you are never susceptible to f-roll -> grab when facing Diddy? That's playing footsies.
Turning around and grabbing when you suspect that Diddy is going to roll behind you and grab? That's a read.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
How well does Triple D do against Mii Brawler? It might be MU unfamiliarity, but the fact that a Triple D made it to winners is pretty awesome. Here's the video from showdowngg - part of it is cut off, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CGO657NlsE.
1111 Mii Brawler is pretty terrible; I'd be surprised if Dedede didn't beat him/her but can't say for sure since no-one (apart from Scourge, apparently) plays the character.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Mega Man fires two Danger Wraps if he lands at the same time it fires. I'd guess it's the ground and air variants combined.
To my knowledge, there is no difference between the ground and air variants. They both deal the same damage with the same trajectory. I'd imagine it's something similar to the lightweight platform glitch where the game is just being confused.

Also works with Ice Slasher, but not crash bomb (because Sakuwhy)

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I believe this really should get more emphasis. The performance of footsies is what sets the bad players from the good players, and what sets the good players from the great players.

A Mario in my local scene is Top 10 in the PR, and he consistently places higher than me. Whenever I watch his matches, there are something I notice I'm clearly better than him at. I maximize my damage, I keep momentum, and I've been told I'm really good at making my opponents feel pressured because I'm always chasing them down. In other words, I'm very strong in the advantaged state. I love the advantaged state.

But this Mario doesn't really do that. He doesn't work on maximizing damage or keeping momentum. Instead, he works on reading his opponent, making the right guess, and stuffing his opponent's option. In other words, he's completely willing to play the neutral game even if he doesn't get the most out of a hit confirm. And he places higher than me.

This has been my life with samus.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
D3 vs. Miis? My rough, uneducated opinions:

Yeah, Brawler might win that in theory. Wouldn't be by much, though. Brawler is a slippery little **** with some silly moves to round that out offensively, although D3 does have the ability to at least keep him honest about it. Honestly, it is a tough feeling to sort through and maybe I'm not looking everything right, but I feel like this archetype mauls us on-hit.

Sword? Somebody tell me, idk.

Gunner? Hope they never legalize this ****. :v Unbelievably lopsided MU in the same vein as Megaman.

Smooth Criminal

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
In regards to ledge trumping: buffering roll/attack prevents ledge trumps in most situations AFAIK, can Pikachu still force you off the ledge if you're buffering a getup option? If not, there is no reason to fear the ledge when facing Pikachu.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Why Ganon? All he can get off of it later on is U-Air and Dropkick. It doesn't really set up for anything past 40ish%. I'd argue Megaman is in that top 5 just because of how many traps you can get out of it.
Ganon's d-throw is actually very very good. I don't know if I can start comparing it to other throws of other characters, but his throw generally lead to a lot of combos influenced by DI.

For example, a Diddy can avoid a dash attack after d-throw from 20% by DI away but then that would lead to a wizard kick hit. Or Captain Falcon can try airdodging to avoid a follow up but then get caught by a waited attack. Or yet, Ness could try predicting a waited attack and NOT airdodge, but then this could lead to say a direct attack. Fair after d-throw could even be a true combo if buffered and inputted by guessing the opponent's DI.

Ganon/Falcon/Luigi/Diddy all have grab games which are awarded heavily for guessing. They are definitely what keep these characters going as compared to lower tier characters like Marth, Lucina and Ike who have a different grab game in general.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
In regards to ledge trumping: buffering roll/attack prevents ledge trumps in most situations AFAIK, can Pikachu still force you off the ledge if you're buffering a getup option? If not, there is no reason to fear the ledge when facing Pikachu.
No, buffered roll/attack doesn't get ledge trumped, but since you have to input the option immediately, it's much easier to punish. Against most characters you can wait on the ledge a little bit, and if the character guesses wrong and ledge trumps you while you're getting up, the character is stuck on the ledge and you can set up. Pikachu spends less time on the ledge, so he doesn't care about that. He can read the buffered getup and punish you for it. All of the ledge options except for ledge roll can be punished by roll behind (into grab or aerial). The ledge roll requires a dash attack.

Fortunately, getting hit on stage by a low-damage punish is better than getting trumped into offstage b-air or Thunder or something, so I'd totally take that every time, but taking the ledge against Pikachu is still crazy scary.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
No, buffered roll/attack doesn't get ledge trumped, but since you have to input the option immediately, it's much easier to punish.
Same with buffered ledge jump, no? I'd also add that because of the immediacy of the action, it is easier to read as your opponent has less time to think.

The ledge trump game is very interesting, and one that I think will be interesting to see develop as Smash 4's mechanics distance itself from Brawl's. Pikachu, due to the shortened ledge time, has a great trump game. As does Sheik and Mega Man with their f4 BAirs.

Also, characters who can punish the roll, attack, and jump options well off a read will benefit from an advanced trump game. For example, MM PP dsmash/utilt do nicely here in combination with the threat of his trump.

Who else has a good trump game?

Edit: Also, does anyone else have a shortened ledge time? This is the first I've heard of Pikachu's, but I can understand it due to quick attack being dumb.

Last edited:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Straight up wrecked some locals the other day with spur-of-the-moment ledge-trumps into killing bairs. It was pretty snazzy. I definitely wanna see what kinda options D3 has with that.

**** man, even I was surprised at clipping ZSS and Pikachu before they could react, and at a weird angle, to boot. The hitbox for D3's bair is gigantic.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Edit: Also, does anyone else have a shortened ledge time? This is the first I've heard of Pikachu's, but I can understand it due to quick attack being dumb.
Tether grabbers have an even better ledge time than Pikachu, I believe.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Slash Claw's weakness is the ground.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Tether grabbers have an even better ledge time than Pikachu, I believe.
But only when they tether, if my understanding is correct (mostly from the Iz@w video)

Is Pikachu's only when he Quick Attacks? I have the 3DS in front of me... so I could check, but I'd rather just ask instead of try to "feel" my way through frame data.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Slash Claw's weakness is the ground.
Wait, it's an Electric-type move? I thought it was Normal-, Flying-, or even Dark-type... One second thought... it's probably a Steel-type move since Mega Man's is a robot. :p

Even then, Slash Claw can still push someone far away that Mega Man won't get super punished for it in comparison to Falco whiffing his Bair and Pikachu has a landing hit, right? As for Sheik, well, she's fast, her Bair has range, so she could escape punishment.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Wait, it's an Electric-type move? I thought it was Normal-, Flying-, or even Dark-type... One second thought... it's probably a Steel-type move since Mega Man's is a robot. :p

Even then, Slash Claw can still push someone far away that Mega Man won't get super punished for it in comparison to Falco whiffing his Bair and Pikachu has a landing hit, right? As for Sheik, well, she's fast, her Bair has range, so she could escape punishment.
I'd probably argue that Slash Claw is fighting type, based on how Slash Man is.

Slash Claw is hard to space because if you hit the opponent's shield, it's difficult to retreat afterwards. Though in general aside from nair Mega Man suffers from gnarly landing lag.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'd probably argue that Slash Claw is fighting type, based on how Slash Man is.

Slash Claw is hard to space because if you hit the opponent's shield, it's difficult to retreat afterwards. Though in general aside from nair Mega Man suffers from gnarly landing lag.
Well, there are Pokémon that people argued should have been this type and type even though they don't look like it. Charizard looks like a Dragon-type, but isn't one without Charizardite X. Anyway, I digress.

Even Flame Sword? I don't know the landing frames, but it doesn't seem that bad. Still, could you imagine low landing lag with Slash Claw and Mega Man's air speed? Super Killer Robot right there, folks.

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
Man Areolink put on quite a show with Paulutena but not enough of one defeat Denti's Diddy. He got a little greedy but I honestly think he was VERY close. That D-throw -> Nair -> Up air was godlike. :colorful:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Same with buffered ledge jump, no? I'd also add that because of the immediacy of the action, it is easier to read as your opponent has less time to think.

The ledge trump game is very interesting, and one that I think will be interesting to see develop as Smash 4's mechanics distance itself from Brawl's. Pikachu, due to the shortened ledge time, has a great trump game. As does Sheik and Mega Man with their f4 BAirs.

Also, characters who can punish the roll, attack, and jump options well off a read will benefit from an advanced trump game. For example, MM PP dsmash/utilt do nicely here in combination with the threat of his trump.

Y'all are probably tired of me randomly popping in to mention DHD, but there's ledge trump possibilities what with setting cans near the ledge for double coverage when you pop someone off.

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman
Man Areolink put on quite a show with Paulutena but not enough of one defeat Denti's Diddy. He got a little greedy but I honestly think he was VERY close. That D-throw -> Nair -> Up air was godlike. :colorful:
Hmm, but what was with the constantly counterpicking ΩPalutena's instead of a stage with Lightweight-recharging platforms?

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Hmm, but what was with the constantly counterpicking ΩPalutena's instead of a stage with Lightweight-recharging platforms?
No clue why he was doing that, I guess he likes the stages and it is Palutena's territory after all. Still I was rooting so bad for him that it really annoyed me lol. I mean goddamn he coulda had it with some platforms.. or at least he woulda had a better chance at having it.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Well, there are Pokémon that people argued should have been this type and type even though they don't look like it. Charizard looks like a Dragon-type, but isn't one without Charizardite X. Anyway, I digress.

Even Flame Sword? I don't know the landing frames, but it doesn't seem that bad. Still, could you imagine low landing lag with Slash Claw and Mega Man's air speed? Super Killer Robot right there, folks.
Now that I think about it, Slash Claw is probably Rock type. It's great against airborne opponents but vulnerable to the ground. Anyway...

In general, Mega Man is an anti-air menace in a way no other character can be. Not to say he's got the best anti-air, but he's certainly unique. Between the disjoints on fair and bair (coming out relatively quickly and super quickly, respectively), and the projectile nair, uair, and dair, AND charge shot as a method to exploit landing lag, it makes him able to challenge certain things that a lot of characters would rather avoid. As two examples, Captain Falcon probably has nightmares when it comes to Mega Man's Hard Knuckle, and Air Shooter makes Pac-Man want to steer clear of high-altitude hydrant drops.

Last edited:

Timbers

check me out
How useful are grab resets in this game? Kirby and Falco have them and heavyweights seem to be the most effected by them. Someone figured that Falco could grab reset D-throw with RAR Bairs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhuHDRBlM60&feature=youtu.be.
This is a lot harder to answer than I originally thought. I guess...I'm not sure how you can really measure the worth and "usefulness" of something that just...exists. Low % dthrow combos are common in the roster, and if you can take advantage of someone's landing frames with another dthrow. It's a nice string, and if it works then you should use it. You're maximizing damage output by stringing dthrow combos together, like any other strings. The only difference is you're using more than one grab in the combo/string.

So I feel like the question would have had more merit if it was asking if the pros/cons to using multiple grabs in strings/combos, which would be a little more open to debate. We could say that using dthrows (or throws in general) may offer a wide angle of trajectories for the opponent to DI, which may give your string suboptimal damage, or whiff completely. We can say that the benefit of adding grabs to combos/strings gives you the opportunity to pummel for replenishing stale moves (unlikely at lower percents but...). Yadda yadda yadda.

As far as the video, you honestly may be shorting yourself on damage if you choose to not go into utilts/uair after that bair in the example though. You put Bowser above you in that case, which is bad for Bowser. In the likely event that Bowser can DI up/away and jump before the second/third grab, your utilt would also probably be much more likely to catch him escaping.

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
Someone (Bwett I think?) talked about it last week, Aerolink LOVES Final Destination. So that was a preference pick and not a strategic one. But it certainly seems like a poor choice especially against someone like Diddy who is quick but often not quick enough to punish lightweight refreshes.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Denti definitely knows about the lightweight refresh and trying to abuse it is a good way to get yourself upaired for free (which is also a good way to die early in lightweight).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom