• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
So here's to 1.0.6, mew2, and everyone going online to use M2. Let's wait for diddy's downthrow to get nerfed to his down throw in brawl. For the record i liked that down throw more. It was a great way to pressure horizontally also you could follow up with Fairs.
What, and Diddy can't follow up with Fairs in this game?

Grass

Smash Lord
What, and Diddy can't follow up with Fairs in this game?
Try to remember back in Brawl, down throw had more horizontal launch than in this game. What I'm trying to say is that if diddy's grabs were nerfed to the point in brawl. Fairs would be your only follow up option and thus completely removing the Hoo Hah!

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Try to remember back in Brawl, down throw had more horizontal launch than in this game. What I'm trying to say is that if diddy's grabs were nerfed to the point in brawl. Fairs would be your only follow up option and thus completely removing the Hoo Hah!
There's nothing wrong with Hoo Hah...
It's the fact that Diddy has it IN ADDITION to his infinite amount of tools, mobility, sheer power, spacing game, pressure, the speed of his combo and kill moves, banana guaranteed setups, autocanceling aerials, popgun reverse canceling, onstage game, offstage game, mixups, safe landings, the uses of the banana, kill throws, punishing, etc.

He's a REALLY good character, but people can only think of Hoo Hah. If Hoo Hah is OP, then we should ban Ness for having a killing back throw and comboing down throw, or ban Luigi for his D-throw -> anything he wants combos. Hoo Hah is not the problem.

Grass

Smash Lord
He's a REALLY good character, but people can only think of Hoo Hah. If Hoo Hah is OP, then we should ban Ness for having a killing back throw and comboing down throw, or ban Luigi for his D-throw -> anything he wants combos. Hoo Hah is not the problem.
I'd like to see you change player mentality about all this nonsense. I've never said hoo hah was a problem. I just said that aspect can be removed, he can still have the rest of his tools.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
With the talk about customs. Who are the characters who benefit the least from them?

Cassio

Smash Master
Smash 4 (Yoshi, not sure on others but my guess is universal) Airdodge is invincible 3-28 ends F 33
Brawl's is 4-29 but ends on F 49 (for yoshi at least, but again maybe universal)

Landing lag or not, the fact you can start up a second airdodge already while still recovering from the first one in brawl is a big buff already.
If you're airdodging too the ground, then you deserve to get punished.
The new characters in Brawl had better airdodges. I cant remember the numbers. They probably are better, but Im kind of hesitant to quote frame data numbers on smash 4 for comparison that arent directly pulled from the game.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
well I can just counter by saying why not remove 1 tool?

See? this doesn't get us anywhere.
Lol you're right.
Besides, a lot of times I wonder if the addition of Mewtwo will have a large effect on the metagame. Like, what if he had a good matchup random top tiers but a lot of disadvantageous ones with non top tier characters. Kinda like Peach was in Brawl.

Grass

Smash Lord
Lol you're right.
Besides, a lot of times I wonder if the addition of Mewtwo will have a large effect on the metagame. Like, what if he had a good matchup random top tiers but a lot of disadvantageous ones with non top tier characters. Kinda like Peach was in Brawl.
Mewtwo is definitely a variable, and I would like to see him be mid-high to high at best. Mid/mid-low at worst. I don't want to see him be low tier.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Mewtwo is definitely a variable, and I would like to see him be mid-high to high at best. Mid/mid-low at worst. I don't want to see him be low tier.
I wouldn't mind seeing Mewtwo as a top tier that requires proficiency with him and the game itself, seems fitting for a psychic pokemon. And I'm stopping with the Mewtwo speculation

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
I wouldn't mind seeing Mewtwo as a top tier that requires proficiency with him and the game itself, seems fitting for a psychic pokemon
if he's top tier, I probably won't main him. Shiek already requires an ass-ton of work to be proficient with.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
if he's top tier, I probably won't main him. Shiek already requires an ***-ton of work to be proficient with.
I forget that EVERYONE requires mastery of the character and the game itself. Pikachu can really warp your thoughts on difficult.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I would fly to mewtwo just because he was difficult. But aside from that like which characters would benefit the least from customs and who would fall?

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I would fly to mewtwo just because he was difficult. But aside from that like which characters would benefit the least from customs and who would fall?
Yoshi comes to mind mostly. Jiggs technically gains something but the buffed moves don't do as much as say... EBT or BT.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Pretty sure ZSS gets basically nothing out of Customs.
Shooting Star Flip Kick is neat in Doubles(/Triples/Quads) I guess, and Whip Lash is an upgrade but still not good, at least as far as I can tell.

The Miis also shouldn't get anything out of customs, because there's no change, but thanks to some of our rulesets they will anyways so...

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Little Mac is probably going to have a tougher time in a Customs environment, even though he already has a tough time as is. Especially when you consider additional gimping options (Gust Cape), zoning options, and on-stage tools that other characters get. And LM himself doesn't get much out of customs iirc.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Boss, Boss, Boss, one of the elite few that is pushing edgeguarding as hard as he can.:4luigi:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
I need to find out how @DunnoBro does that straight can drop. Great snipes also. I feel like this is the best Xanadu I've seen in a while. Lots of off-stage play.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I need a reality check.

Watching Xanadu's VOD the commentator just said that Town & City has a lower ceiling. I was under the impression that the only stage with a meaningfully low ceiling is Halberd. Y/N?

I do grant that T&C's high platforms can contribute to early vertical kills, but that's not quite the same thing.

On a related note, is there a way to easily spread information to counteract this sort of misinformation? (Assuming it is in fact misinformation.)

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
There's something I'm wondering about Customs G&W. If you use Extreme Judge, can you incorporate the guaranteed self-damage/high-damage into your game plan? LIke, you play the gambling game and throw Side Bs out. If you "lose" more than you win, you have a relatively safe way to push yourself into rage. If you get the 9s, well you get the 9s.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
I need a reality check.

Watching Xanadu's VOD the commentator just said that Town & City has a lower ceiling. I was under the impression that the only stage with a meaningfully low ceiling is Halberd. Y/N?

I do grant that T&C's high platforms can contribute to early vertical kills, but that's not quite the same thing.

On a related note, is there a way to easily spread information to counteract this sort of misinformation? (Assuming it is in fact misinformation.)
Town and City's ceiling height from the main platform is in fact lower than that on FD, Smashville, etc., though only slightly so. Pazx made this thread about it for various stages.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Pretty sure ZSS gets basically nothing out of Customs.
Shooting Star Flip Kick is neat in Doubles(/Triples/Quads) I guess, and Whip Lash is an upgrade but still not good, at least as far as I can tell.

The Miis also shouldn't get anything out of customs, because there's no change, but thanks to some of our rulesets they will anyways so...
Whiplash gives side b actual reward for hitting with it with the cost of having to be more precise. I think it always combos reliably into up b and Bair. I think it's good if you get a dsmash when your back is to the ledge so you can knock them as close to the blast zone as possible before the final blow. There's some potential in the faster paralyzer. I can see it helping in some MU's.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Once again, I want to see a (perfect) pivoted Side Smash from Mega Man.
Why? He doesn't benefit from extra spacing that much due to its massive range already. Regular pivot side smash or foxtrot-canceled side smash are good. Also, those extra frames can be spent charging, increasing the size of the hitbox.

Also, more importantly, Side Smash doesn't slide.

PP jab is nice if you really need it (but pivot ftilt is functionally similar) as is PP Up Smash (why not JC-usmash though...) and PP Metal Blade is kind of cool, but MB gets the most use out of being thrown in the air and jump canceled on the ground as an item anyway. PP dsmash is legit though. (Now if only I could PP to the right)

I think that's all Mega Man gets out of PP other than just using it as a movement option for spacing (can be useful for setting up utilt/anti-air/giant grab range). I haven't mastered PP at all or messed with it too much, so I could be wrong.

Edit: For those who want to mess with PP, I suggest doing it with the bunny hood. You can really tell what moves make your character slide or not slide.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Why? He doesn't benefit from extra spacing that much due to its massive range already. Regular pivot side smash or foxtrot-canceled side smash are good. Also, those extra frames can be spent charging, increasing the size of the hitbox.

Also, more importantly, Side Smash doesn't slide.

PP jab is nice if you really need it (but pivot ftilt is functionally similar) as is PP Up Smash (why not JC-usmash though...) and PP Metal Blade is kind of cool, but MB gets the most use out of being thrown in the air and jump canceled on the ground as an item anyway. PP dsmash is legit though. (Now if only I could PP to the right)

I think that's all Mega Man gets out of PP other than just using it as a movement option for spacing (can be useful for setting up utilt/anti-air/giant grab range). I haven't mastered PP at all or messed with it too much, so I could be wrong.
But Style Points, man!

I guess I just want to see stuff being tried and used whether or not it works. Anyway, I put "perfect" in parentheses because I didn't know if it would do anything, but a pivot Side Smash would be cool and a nasty wake up call in certain situations.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
The issue with pivot fsmash for Mega is that his fsmash comes out frame 20. It works well for spacing out aerial approaches, but frame 20 is still frame 20, and that doesn't count any travel time.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
But Style Points, man!

I guess I just want to see stuff being tried and used whether or not it works. Anyway, I put "perfect" in parentheses because I didn't know if it would do anything, but a pivot Side Smash would be cool and a nasty wake up call in certain situations.
I wish style points were all that mattered. Captain Falcon SS+ Tier easily XD

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Little Mac is probably going to have a tougher time in a Customs environment, even though he already has a tough time as is. Especially when you consider additional gimping options (Gust Cape), zoning options, and on-stage tools that other characters get. And LM himself doesn't get much out of customs iirc.
Guard Breaker and Dash Counter actually makes Little Mac's recovery not completely terrible. Grounding Blow is also quite interesting given it's legitimately one of Little Mac's best air punishes along with his Up-B.

He's still probably bad, but customs are actually a pretty nice buff for him overall.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
No way Mewtwo will be low tier if he keeps his weight and height the same as Melee. If Rosalina has a similar build and was given a semispike Bair, Luma Dair and Uair that kills at like 30, ridiculously disjointed Jab, obscene Dash Attack, a Fair and Nair that last longer than the Hobbit movie, and a projectile deflector with no drawback, I think Mewtwo will be fine.

But then, Mario was given lagless everything with an air speed Sonic would be jealous of, so maybe it's a Mario series thing this time around. Hey, maybe that's why Yoshi is lobbed with the Mario crew this time. =P

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I don't even want to play Mewtwo, really, but I want him to be high/top tier just to see M2K main him in tournaments. No other reason. I always prefer to see people play as characters they have some sort of connection with, and M2K with Mewtwo would fit that bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom