• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamecircle

Smash Apprentice
I think this is where Fast Firebird comes into play. Very useful Up B solution that solves a lot of his issues. The lesser range on it isn't that big a deal, as Falco retains some momentum after using it, so he can go pretty far to autosnap the ledge with this. Try it out.
Also having Void Reflector be an actually useful aerial option, whereas default reflector sucks aerially as it'll be punished often even on hit.
  1. Fast Fire Bird (travel)
  2. Frame 1- 2: 2% 68b/40g 80° Fire
  3. Max Damage: 2%
Huh, is this actually frame 1 startup? I doubt it. I assume one of the unknown substates of like 4 frames is the "charge" time?

Seems good, but trading away Falco's offstage game and recovery kinda hurts. How fast is the custom sideb that makes Falco invincible? Maybe that can be used instead.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
yeah but when a character like diddy is roaming around with 800 kill set ups and options haveing low survivavillity seems really REALLY problamatic.
Good thing I also play Greninja :dr^_^:

No but really, it's just something you have to learn to play around/deal with as Jiggs. For as simple as Jiggs looks to be on paper to play she is far from it with her survivability issues.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Good thing I also play Greninja :dr^_^:

No but really, it's just something you have to learn to play around/deal with as Jiggs. For as simple as Jiggs looks to be on paper to play she is far from it with her survivability issues.
i dunno i even see h box ocasional just get poked with a fair from diddy and die at 80%

i just cant see her as high tier yet.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Huh, is this actually frame 1 startup? I doubt it. I assume one of the unknown substates of like 4 frames is the "charge" time?

Seems good, but trading away Falco's offstage game and recovery kinda hurts. How fast is the custom sideb that makes Falco invincible? Maybe that can be used instead.
You're not 'trading away' Falco's offstage game. You're taking the 'fast firebird has shorter distance' thing way too far. Falco still generally doesn't have trouble recovering with FF, and the faster charge makes it safer in all in-range applications. The charge time of firebird and fox's firefox are the main thing that makes them risky. Eliminating that aspect for slightly less distance is worth it. Falco is going to be saving his second jump often as you rarely need it thanks to your high jump1 height, but 90% of the time I find myself using firebird to recover a short enough distance that fast firebird would've worked in.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Don't get hit.
Amazingly good advice for every character!

Reminds me of Keits' advice for being a top Divekick player: "Just be totally godlike and never lose". It really is that simple folks.

Seriously though you're going to get hit. Like I said, for Jiggs to do well either requires her to significantly win the damage race or get a lot of low percent kills, and I feel that neither is a super reliable gameplan in high-level play. She can definitely get wins, but things can go bad for her in a real hurry.

Flamecircle

Smash Apprentice
You're not 'trading away' Falco's offstage game. You're taking the 'fast firebird has shorter distance' thing way too far. Falco still generally doesn't have trouble recovering with FF, and the faster charge makes it safer in all in-range applications. The charge time of firebird and fox's firefox are the main thing that makes them risky. Eliminating that aspect for slightly less distance is worth it. Falco is going to be saving his second jump often as you rarely need it thanks to your high jump1 height, but 90% of the time I find myself using firebird to recover a short enough distance that fast firebird would've worked in.
I think specifically that falco can barely survive using Fair to gimp offstage by default. I didn't think he's survive with a shorter recovery.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

Reminds me of Keits' advice for being a top Divekick player: "Just be totally godlike and never lose". It really is that simple folks.

Seriously though you're going to get hit. Like I said, for Jiggs to do well either requires her to significantly win the damage race or get a lot of low percent kills, and I feel that neither is a super reliable gameplan in high-level play. She can definitely get wins, but things can go bad for her in a real hurry.
lol the don't get hit advise reminds me of the days of joyfull self tourture playing darksouls.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
How does everyone feel about bowser jr? He seems like he has potential. He has a few flaws but i'm not sure if they are crippling.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
How does everyone feel about bowser jr? He seems like he has potential. He has a few flaws but i'm not sure if they are crippling.
he has potential but when you get down to it he's just a poor man's sonic who also happens to be a fatty. i really don't know how to feel about him honestly.

mimgrim

Smash Hero

It's as if you can't read functionally.

You do not understand Jiggs then.

Her game-plan is focused around her high damage per hit and early kills. Saying neither is super reliable in high-level play, or any level of play really, for Jiggs means your not playing Jiggs correctly then. As she was built just for that kind of gameplan. Jiggs has fast attacks that deal fairly high damage (most deal 10+%) with fairly good range with moves that excel at edge guarding, which is one of the best ways to get early kills, along with having a move made to kill early and be one of the scariest punishes ever. Frankly if you can't/face against on that can't keep up the high damage and early kill game as Jiggs then you are probably a bad/playing against a bad Jiggs.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Okay, this just in, :4link: can KO :4diddy: at 23% damage near the edge of the stage with an uncharged Forward Smash second hit.
...I honestly wish I was kidding...

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Okay, this just in, :4link: can KO :4diddy: at 23% damage near the edge of the stage with an uncharged Forward Smash second hit.
...I honestly wish I was kidding...
have you tested this with di? because that sounds really impossible.

also video pls

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
he has potential but when you get down to it he's just a poor man's sonic who also happens to be a fatty. i really don't know how to feel about him honestly.
His aerials seem to be fantastic as they don't have much landing lag if any at all. The koopalings can be used once you throw your opponent or knock them away. He can go very deep off stage. Yeah he is heavy, and can get comboed, but I think he can do well.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Yeah, from my testing it doesn't.
have you tested this with di? because that sounds really impossible.

also video pls
I do have a video, yes, just need to upload it relatively soon. Once I do, I will bring it up on here.
And it might have been some freak chance of luck or something, to be honest. My opponent was at least semi-professional.

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
It's as if you can't read functionally.

You do not understand Jiggs then.

Her game-plan is focused around her high damage per hit and early kills. Saying neither is super reliable in high-level play, or any level of play really, for Jiggs means your not playing Jiggs correctly then. As she was built just for that kind of gameplan. Jiggs has fast attacks that deal fairly high damage (most deal 10+%) with fairly good range with moves that excel at edge guarding, which is one of the best ways to get early kills, along with having a move made to kill early and be one of the scariest punishes ever. Frankly if you can't/face against on that can't keep up the high damage and early kill game as Jiggs then you are probably a bad/playing against a bad Jiggs.
I guess Hungrybox isn't a particularly good Jigglypuff then, because last I checked these "you do not understand" issues were getting him boxed by Diddies right back to the literal birth of Hoo Hah as a term (ugh).

When they say it's not reasonable in high level play they don't mean the playstyle is untenable they mean M2King will hit you. Zero will hit you. Dabuz will hit you. Good players will hit you. Quite a few times, actually. Even if you're on their level. As you increase the skill level of both players, the success ceilings of play-styles become visible. "Not getting hit" is a playstyle with a lower success ceiling than "rack up damage and survive."

If you take two equally skilled players and have one "kill people early (let's say <100%) AND avoid dying (you can die >80%)" and the other player "survive (you're heavier) and achieve a kill setup (you have those)" despite the fact that they are of equal ability, one has an objectively harder job than the other. They just do.

What does this mean? The Jigglypuff player has to be significantly better than their opponent to win. A jigglypuff player looking to beat Zero's Diddy would have to be a significantly better player than the Diddy main to win. Not slightly better, vastly better.

And at the end of the day, that's what tiers measure; the amount of effort you have to put in to win.

You could win Evo with Zelda. But if you choose to use her instead of Diddy Kong, you have to put in x100 the work. It's like a function. Work in to results out. The tier reduces or increases the necessary value of work to achieve the result.

Tiers, by taking mu information, stage information, and character statistics, show you the amount of work you're looking at.

Jigglypuff is a hard worker. High tiers are not hard workers. They're white collar criminals.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I guess Hungrybox isn't a particularly good Jigglypuff then, because last I checked these "you do not understand" issues were getting him boxed by Diddies right back to the literal birth of Hoo Hah as a term (ugh).

When they say it's not reasonable in high level play they don't mean the playstyle is untenable they mean M2King will hit you. Zero will hit you. Dabuz will hit you. Good players will hit you. Quite a few times, actually. Even if you're on their level. As you increase the skill level of both players, the success ceilings of play-styles become visible. "Not getting hit" is a playstyle with a lower success ceiling than "rack up damage and survive."

If you take two equally skilled players and have one "kill people early (let's say <100%) AND avoid dying (you can die >80%)" and the other player "survive (you're heavier) and achieve a kill setup (you have those)" despite the fact that they are of equal ability, one has an objectively harder job than the other. They just do.

What does this mean? The Jigglypuff player has to be significantly better than their opponent to win. A jigglypuff player looking to beat Zero's Diddy would have to be a significantly better player than the Diddy main to win. Not slightly better, vastly better.

And at the end of the day, that's what tiers measure; the amount of effort you have to put in to win.

You could win Evo with Zelda. But if you choose to use her instead of Diddy Kong, you have to put in x100 the work. It's like a function. Work in to results out. The tier reduces or increases the necessary value of work to achieve the result.

Tiers, by taking mu information, stage information, and character statistics, show you the amount of work you're looking at.

Jigglypuff is a hard worker. High tiers are not hard workers. They're white collar criminals.
Its not always quite that simple as higher tier = less work.

See: Ice Climbers in previous games and having to memorize the chain grab timing for each individual character due to differences in sizes, weights, fall speeds. For each type of chain grab. Including Solo Popo. Also having to become experts in desyncing.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223

Hungrybox has gone on record saying that he considers himself to be bad at Smash 4. Even though he rocks the Puff in Melee, even though that requires an emphasis on spacing, something about Smash 4 in general doesn't click with him, and it's not just that he's too good for it and that Smash 4 is limiting.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Hungrybox has gone on record saying that he considers himself to be bad at Smash 4. Even though he rocks the Puff in Melee, even though that requires an emphasis on spacing, something about Smash 4 in general doesn't click with him, and it's not just that he's too good for it and that Smash 4 is limiting.
Plus using the same character in multiple smash games messes with you. Thats why M2K, who thinks Sheik is the best character in the game, doesn't use her

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I just realized that pretty much every character who will most likely be high tier has something that pisses players off. Since I main Falcon alongside Marth, I don't see a problem with Falcon's d throw up air combos like some people do, but when it comes to having something that pisses players off I think one of the worst cases is with Ness's d throw into an x amount of fairs, or Rosalina just straight up slowing any match to a crawl. The one that bothers me the most is Ness's fair alone, because it beats out almost anything and can be used for so many things besides combos.

Plus using the same character in multiple smash games messes with you. Thats why M2K, who thinks Sheik is the best character in the game, doesn't use her
Well I wouldn't say it is that way for everybody. I main Marth in every smash game he is in besides Melee since I don't have Melee. You won't see me try to do a up throw combo with Marth in smash 4, because I know that is something that only works for him in PM and Melee.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I just realized that pretty much every character who will most likely be high tier has something that pisses players off. Since I main Falcon alongside Marth, I don't see a problem with Falcon's d throw up air combos like some people do, but when it comes to having something that pisses players off I think one of the worst cases is with Ness's d throw into an x amount of fairs, or Rosalina just straight up slowing any match to a crawl. The one that bothers me the most is Ness's fair alone, because it beats out almost anything and can be used for so many things besides combos.

Well I wouldn't say it is that way for everybody. I main Marth in every smash game he is in besides Melee since I don't have Melee. You won't see me try to do a up throw combo with Marth in smash 4, because I know that is something that only works for him in PM and Melee.
I don't think it's possible for people to be thrown off by different games. Like you've said it's easy to know whicj game is different. Melee shiek and smash 4 shiek are very different. It's just an excuse IMO. Some people still rocking their mains from SF2....just saying.

I think you've underestimated Captain Falcon's dthrow. It's really strong and always going for uairs afterwards isn't correct. The move becomes scary when they're baiting airdodges and looking for knees and dairs. It puts you in a really bad spot and gives Falcon extremely strobg options.

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
Its not always quite that simple as higher tier = less work.

See: Ice Climbers in previous games and having to memorize the chain grab timing for each individual character due to differences in sizes, weights, fall speeds. For each type of chain grab. Including Solo Popo. Also having to become experts in desyncing.
Well, while you have a point I can't deny (I secondaried ICs in Brawl and played them in Melee) it's actually not that big of a work gap. Your effort in that case translated into gauranteed kills off of a single grab.

If you're telling me the amount of work it takes to, say, master wobbling in the lab, go and make your way in for one grab to gain the stock, is more/equal to like the kind of insane outplaying Plup or aMSa have to do to earn every single stock, I'd have a hard time believing you :v

Fair. Maybe he's not the player to exemplify what I'm talking about. However, the point still stands. JIgglypuff works harder to what what the true high tier does for free :v

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I really wouldn't use Hungrybox as the prime example for Puff in Smash 4.

Of course you are going to get hit eventually. But my statement still stands. Don't get hit. I don't care what your play-style is but not getting hit should always be a focus of any character unless said character is Lucario wanting to power-up Aura.

Like serious basic 101 stuff. I don't even get why I have to explain this.

That's looking at in an incredibly simple way that just does not pan out as expected most of the time and there are tons of other factors to be taken into consideration.

This is simply untrue. Tiers measure overall MUs against the rest of the cast, tournament results, and some theory crafting. Nothing else. No bad player is going to be able to use the best character in the game against even decently skilled players just by virtue of the character. If anything as the meta progresses the best character will become harder and harder to use because everyone and their mother will know the MU by then.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Well yeah, but if you have a better matchup spread (high - top tier), then that means you're generally gonna have an easier time than if your matchup spread was bad. Which is what @ Vincent21 Vincent21 was talking about. He's just looking at things from a different angle, but you're both talking about the same thing.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I don't think it's possible for people to be thrown off by different games. Like you've said it's easy to know whicj game is different. Melee shiek and smash 4 shiek are very different. It's just an excuse IMO. Some people still rocking their mains from SF2....just saying.

I think you've underestimated Captain Falcon's dthrow. It's really strong and always going for uairs afterwards isn't correct. The move becomes scary when they're baiting airdodges and looking for knees and dairs. It puts you in a really bad spot and gives Falcon extremely strobg options.
I didn't say that is the only thing they do out of down throw. All I said was that some people get pissed about his down throw up air combos. Of course I would know how good down throw is considering I main him.

Last edited:

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
This is simply untrue. Tiers measure overall MUs against the rest of the cast, tournament results, and some theory crafting. Nothing else. No bad player is going to be able to use the best character in the game against even decently skilled players just by virtue of the character. If anything as the meta progresses the best character will become harder and harder to use because everyone and their mother will know the MU by then.
What does having good match-ups against the majority of the cast typically mean? Having an easier time beating the majority of the opponents you face. Why do people consistently rake in tournament results with the same character? Because their mus draw them to that character. Why do their mus draw them in? Because they're going to have an easier time. What purpose the theorycrafting serve? Defining match-ups that are not seen even to draw tourney/experience based results. Why would you want that information?

To have an easier time in that matchup.

It's about having an easier time. Better characters have it easier. It is easier to get a kill as Diddy. It is easier to edge-guard someone as Shiek. It is easier to control the neutral with Sonic.

Zero could probably have won Apex without Diddy Kong because he's pretty darn good at this game. He probably could've done it with a mid to low-tier character. His ability as a adept and versatile player would've allowed him to overcome poor match-ups in a sub-par character. However, to do so would require him to work harder.

At the end of the day, the better player wins, and characters do not decide outcomes. Therefore, all of the data the tier list represents can be simplified down to the phrase "x character has an easier time, in general, winning games than y character."

That's what it tells you. MUs/Theory/Tourney Results mean absolutely nothing until applied. The tier list applies them by figuring out which characters consistently have an advantage over the majority of characters.

But advantages and disadvantages, handicaps, whatever you want to call them, just affect difficulty level. Ergo literally the tier list acts as a scale of difficultly, from "least difficult character to consistently win with" to "most difficult character to consistently win with."

That's literally ALL IT TELLS YOU. A tier list doesn't include the individual mu values, doesn't include the theorycraft that went into it, and doesn't come with a spreadsheet of results tacked onto it. It's a list of characters arranged in tiers of a descending order. This creates a scale. A scale based on how many natural advantages a character has.

Advantages make things easier. Disadvantage makes them harder. Since the scale is basically a list of most to least advantaged characters, it is also just as easily labeled a scale of increasing difficultly.

Also that last sentence is completely bunk.

Melee is developed by over a decade in terms of match-up understanding. Fox has not gotten any less easier to play or less good, and characters of off-tier like Young Link or Kirby have not become any better. Complete information actually has the opposite effect; characters who succeed based on a lack of player knowledge and gimmicks lose their position on the tier list, and only the characters who are still difficult to fight after everyone about them is known remain as top tier characters. You ultimately end up with the consistently most advantaged character's on top, after the gimmicks are weeded out.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
What you just said here just proves what the guy you replied to right. If you are not playing well using a top tier character it is because they just have not put in enough effort yet. If a character has the advantage in most MUs that just means they won't need to put in as much effort than if they were to use a lower tier character. By that logic Ganondorf would've been top tier by the end of Brawl's lifespan. Name me 3 low tier characters who have the advantage in an MU against at least 70% of the cast.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

I couldn't find the start up frames for Falco's Blasters, Fire Bird customs, and Falco Phantasms. The data you have now is just when it hits; no start or end lag data. Fast Fire Bird is as NinjaLink called it: a Falco Phantasm version of Fire Bird.

Default Fire Bird travels almost half of FD while Falco Phantasm travels half of FD. I don't know about Distant Fire Bird, but it might be like 2/3's of FD. The same goes with Fast Fire Bird where I don't know since I don't have all of Falco's customs and it seems that Fast Fire Bird is essentially Melee Falco's Fire Bird. In Melee, Falco didn't have to go off stage because of his on-stage game, right?

I think specifically that falco can barely survive using Fair to gimp offstage by default. I didn't think he's survive with a shorter recovery.
Run off Fair allows Falco to just hop back to the stage. Falco still has a wall jump and he doesn't need to go that deep down or far away from the stage. It's his ability by default to do so that's impressive. For me, choosing which Fire Bird custom depends on play style and match up. For a slower recoverer and someone who doesn't have a good off stage game or can't follow Falco far, then Distant Fire Bird would be better to use while Fast Fire Bird would be better for characters who can quickly gimp others or challenging them off stage is more risky like Ganondorf who can take advantage of his Dair to meteor at any percent or the Pits, Jigglypuff, Kirby, and Meta Knight who have thrive off stage and charging for that long with either default or Distant Fire Bird would be a bad idea against them. Default just remains as a jack of all trades move.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
So when and why did everyone decide Lucario is bad? Serious question.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Bleh range and frame data, combined with the loss of vectoring and increased landing lag on Extremespeed after 1.0.4 making it that much harder to live to absurd percents to abuse aura with.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Bleh range and frame data, combined with the loss of vectoring and increased landing lag on Extremespeed after 1.0.4 making it that much harder to live to absurd percents to abuse aura with.
But don't all the good Lucario players just sweetspot the ledge with ExtremeSpeed anyway? I always thought the most notable weakness of that move was its fairly lengthy start-up that lacks a hitbox, which isn't ideal for a recovery move.

I can understand his range and frame data being bad though, both aren't exactly stellar.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
But don't all the good Lucario players just sweetspot the ledge with ExtremeSpeed anyway? I always thought the most notable weakness of that move was its fairly lengthy start-up that lacks a hitbox, which isn't ideal for a recovery move.
And if the opponent knows Lucario wants the ledge, they know where to put a hitbox to deal with him. Even if the "best" way to recover was unaffected, it worsens Lucario's options and makes his recovery more predictable...with enough landing lag that even if the opponent guesses wrong, they may be able to catch him and punish before landing lag ends anyway.

Not saying that it isn't still a silly recovery, but it was nontrivially worsened.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I don't remember everybody deciding he was bad. I thought everybody decided he was too good thanks to his aura. I am not saying Lucario is broken, but I think his aura is broken. He does not exactly do too well against character like Falcon who can end his stock before the aura even starts getting good.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
So, not to brag but just to set the context, I was considered "the best Jiggs" for the first few years of Brawl's life. I won quite a few sub-regional tourneys with her, and placed pretty decently at regional events in spite of, well, playing a somewhat awful character.

Jiggs is overall a better character in Smash 4, but a few things keep me from playing her much:

The big one is Pound. Pound was Jigglypuff's trump card in virtually all bad matchups. "Thinkaman's Law of Brawl Jigglypuff" was "The worse the matchup is, the higher percentage of your actions should be Pound." Jigglypuff had essentially unmatched spacing capabilities, but poor range and speed. (Similar to Wario.) Characters who offered fast disjointedness could just wall attacks and consistently shut down everything about her plan--until Pound comes in.

Pound said "screw that noise" and just flat out won against pretty much anything but a G&W bair. Sure, it was a high-risk move with certain punish on whiff, but against mindless walls of attacks it was a safe bet. What was critical, was that the momentum of Pound let it be used comfortably early and enabled it to beat purely defensive walling that wasn't even going to hit you. Meta-Knight's poor aerial mobility in particular was harshly punished by Pound; Pound turned an otherwise disastrous matchup into a shockingly okay one. It was also crucial against the dominating disjointed ground attacks of Snake.

Smash 4 gutted that momentum from Pound, leaving Jigglypuff--while otherwise a much better character--without a trump card to save her in problematic matchups. If it weren't for massive (and highly justified) nerfs to the extent of fast disjointedness in the game, she would have a few hard counters.

The next issue is speed. In Smash 4, having fast attacks matters. A lot. Literally all the characters we consider candidates for top tier have fast attacks. Jigglypuff's moveset, both ground and aerial, is very slow. She relies on her unmatched mobility instead, but in Smash 4's environment this isn't as good of a plan.

Next, the proliferation of vertical kills in the environment. Brawl has Shuttle Loop and Snake u-tilt. Smash 4 has... basically everything. Diddy uair, Rosalina u-smash and uair, ZSS up-b and uair, Sonic u-smash, Ness uair (and sort of b-throw), Pikachu u-smash, Fox u-smash, Falcon uair and side-b, Yoshi u-smash and uair... It seems like all the scariest kill moves are vertically-focused, and Jiggs is terrified of this world.

Jigglypuff's Grab seems a little smaller, and her great dash grab is much worse. I played Jigglypuff as a roll- heavy grappler on the ground, and this doesn't pay off as much in this game. I also used DACUS as a good mixup for this playstyle, but that's gone too. (No complaints though; DACUS was a stupid input)

Then we've got Rollout. Rollout was like the Little Mac of Brawl. It was by no means good, it only worked well on certain stages, and using it foolishly, including in neutral ever, was a death sentence. But like Little Mac, it was grossly underrated and dismissed entirely by players who didn't understand it. Rollout was a reliable KO-capable tech chase in highly specific situations, and a surprisingly threatening recovery option in certain matchups. (The overlooked key is that you could release at a very wide variety of heights. In most matchups, at least one of these heights ends up being safe for any possible opponent action.) Very frequently, the slightest differences in release timing on aerial rollout could beat attacks meant to punish other timings. (This was less and less true the more range the opponent had.)

In Smash 4, Rollout is just as unsafe but a lot weaker. What's more, the aerial version bounces off shields instead of going through them safely. This means that the range of valid recovery paths is cut short a small but critical amount--the opponent no longer has to correct place an sufficiently ranged and timed attack on the air-to-ground paths, just be in the way and shield.

The Rest buffs are fine, but some vertical KOs in this game are instant. So... I guess I'm actually not allowed to use Rest except last stock? So much for that I guess.

Then we've got the new air dodge landing lag. I feel that this slightly hurts Jiggs, overall. In Brawl, her mobility and last hitboxes on nair and Pound gave her unique ability to punish landing air dodges anyway. On the other hand, Jigglypuff could convert her aerial footsies into a ground grab with a "triangle jump" sort of approach, which would beat many defensive moves meant to beat her unusual air game approach. Now this transitional option is removed.

Finally, while Jigglypuff is buffed overall from it, I'm uneasy about putting all the character's power on bair. What about matchups where landing bair is hard? As discussed earlier, used to this is where Pound came in, but it's a lot less reliable as a back-up plan now...

Oh, a bonus "nerf" that's just ironic. Jigglypuff used to have a 7:3 matchup against Diddy in Brawl! This was because she could consistently Rest him out of dash attack, jab, f-smash, and u-smash on reaction, which all had one-frame gaps in them. These were fixed by changes to Diddy. (Note that if they were not changed, Little Mac would also be able to up-b all these things on reaction too!)

I am conflicted. New Jigglypuff feels like an already poor character who was modestly nerfed and put in a more hostile environment. On the other hand, she was compensated with:
  • One of the most legitimately absurd hitboxes in the game put on her primary move, bair.
  • A reasonably scary, frame-1-invincible, frame-1-hitting KO move in a game that places an emphasis on speed and pseudo-combos.
  • Massive nerfs across the board to fast disjoint, which was her biggest problem. (G&W and Marth were hard counters in Brawl.)
So if any of you from the old days were wondering why Thinkaman isn't just beating everyone with buffed Jiggs, there's your answer. Maybe I'm just resisting change and need to just put in the time, but she's... just so weird to me.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Isn't Lucario more dangerous to characters who can't kill well or do a lot of damage, but have limited and/or predictable kill moves - I think that was redundant...

So, against say, Fox... Let's go with Duck Hunt, Lucario will probably be getting hit a lot or even letting himself get hit to build up rage and Aura while Duck Hunt tries to get Lucario to KO percent and land a kill. Here's the thing, they might be at KO percents even if Duck Hunt is say, at 60% while Lucario is at 110%.

With characters that can kill quickly or have good kill options, Lucario might have more trouble. So, Ike and Ganondorf would be able to end Lucario well compared to say, Meta Knight and er... Fox?

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
And if the opponent knows Lucario wants the ledge, they know where to put a hitbox to deal with him. Even if the "best" way to recover was unaffected, it worsens Lucario's options and makes his recovery more predictable...with enough landing lag that even if the opponent guesses wrong, they may be able to catch him and punish before landing lag ends anyway.

Not saying that it isn't still a silly recovery, but it was nontrivially worsened.
That's true, it does make his recovery more predictable. He pretty much has to aim for the ledge now whereas before I suppose he had the option of going to the stage, although ExtremeSpeed always had a ton of landing lag. I think ExtremeSpeed getting a hitbox at the end (which gets stronger with Aura) can make putting a hitbox at the ledge a risky affair, even if you know what Lucario's gonna do.

But yeah, I'm assuming people are thinking the Aura buff no longer makes up for his poor range and sluggish kill options?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Lucario's aura is simply no longer scale-tipping levels of power and threat in a world with WiiU blast zones and no vectoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom