• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Yo, you guys have seen Dark.Pch's tutorials for Peach, right? Holy hell are they freaking awesome! There's this on Peach's QFR or quick float release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLjWYofF6B__I4vuT25cxAxDeHZwrLOETW&v=OTYgTxnK8z0.

Peach is technical and holy hell, does she benefit from mastering her techs. I really, really want to see results from Peach.
thats some neat tech there. always loved how peach was in this game i just don't have the fingers to play her.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Taunting unironically in 2015 is like starting to smoke cigarettes in 2015.

I'm just... always genuinely puzzled that anyone would do that.
It's fun :p Some of the best matches involve both people taunting. It's added flair if you will. Not real disrespect.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
I play Pac-man because of Abadango (the man is legendary). But Fox is a whole different story. I used to Falcon my way to victory, until I went to my first actual tournement. By then, I had only just started using Fox. Every single time I brought Falcon out in friendlies I'd get bodied. At this point, I'm pretty sure most people have fought so many Falcons online that he's an open book and people just read it to death. But I bring out fox and suddenly, he just kinda clicked. Such a fun character.

Oh, and I main Donkey Kong because he's clearly the most overpowered character in the game (JK).

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
why is everyones internet potato? my matches with emblem lord were seemless.
It is often less about internet and more about distance.

If a dude in California is trying to Smash a dude in, like, North Dakota he's going to run into problems. He just is. Distance latency is a killer, so you roll the dice every time you pick a user. HOW CLOSE ARE WEEEEEEE

And sometimes you lose *shrug*

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Well some people on smash ladder are no better than for glory. I got called a "camper; no skill" by a Yoshi that didnt know how to avoid keys and Sd'd twice due to down B spam.
The beautiful people you will meet on the Internet.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
why is everyones internet potato? my matches with emblem lord were seemless.
Even if you are literally on top of one another (as in, in the same room, but using Internet connection), a minimum of 3-4 frames of input lag will still exist.

WiFi = lag, regardless of how good the connection is. You can't see the lag, but oh boy you can definitely feel it, especially if you're used to quick inputs (:4pikachu: I cry everytime)

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Well some people on smash ladder are no better than for glory. I got called a "camper; no skill" by a Yoshi that didnt know how to avoid keys and Sd'd twice due to down B spam.
Wow, I wonder how he would have felt if he came across my Villager.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Well, I main pac-man because I grew up with him. Ever since pac-man world 2, pac-man collection, and namco arcade, I've fallen in love with the happy-go-lucky yellow ball.

Once he was revealed for smash 4, it was a dream come true. Turns out he even fits my playstyle; creative traps and amazing versatility.

I dropped mega man because he requires so much precision and micromanagement :c
Not to mention, I have only played one mega man game which was mega man 2. I decided to play it last year to try and connect with the character more...didn't help much.
Then I picked up pit because more versatility (:awesome:) and I really enjoyed kid Icarus uprising.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hey guys fun exercise, Why do you play who you play?

For me and villager, when I saw Rugby Shirt on that pic of the day I literally told my friend "That one, I'm maining that one" before then I had NO interest in maining Villager.
When the demo came out I lost interest in villager partially because I was forced to play Turnip Top but mostly because my friend and main training partner was playing Megaman and Megaman is an unfun MU for Villager.

Later in another forum @Thinkaman requested a few customs on battles with me. I noticed I had the Timber counter (and kinda already knew of its jank) unlocked and had a Villager set for it so I tried her out now having access to Rugby Shirt.
After those battles he said and I quote "I loved playing your Villager" seeing someone enjoy playing against me made me so happy i started playing less of everyone and more of villager. To the point where I went to a phase where I ONLY played Villager.

Ofcourse If looks and others enjoyment where the only reason I main a character I would be a Ganon main, that's when I found out that Villager was a character, that I feel, was (almost) designed for me in mind.

Back in Brawl I played a lot of characters mostly Ness and TL because of their projectiles and occasional off stage game. I also love rushdown and I genuinely thought it was impossible to rushdown, have a solid offstage game, AND have solid projectiles... Until I played more of Villager!

Even though now I know that if I ever were to join a tournament, I'd probably lose to a stray Sheik/Sonic/Yoshi/Fox/MM, I still want to help in whatever small and miniscule way to strenghen this girl's meta.

I don't think I have ever been more passionate about a fighting game character than I have with Villager.

This is why I play Villager and I'm very curious to see why you guys main your mains
We had a thread on that topic in the 3DS discussion: http://smashboards.com/threads/why-do-you-use-who-you-use.377012/unread. Also, off topic. :p

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Eugh...my hands just won't allow it lol. I'm pretty bad when it comes to precision or anything detail oriented. Instead I have intuition and creativity.
Hence the main::4pacman:(All the possibilities!)
I know what you mean man. I have trouble executing things myself. But when I actually sat down and wotked at it I finally was able to do it. Somethings took longer than oyhers. But you learn at your own pace and take your time and you'll get there eventually.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
i'm still torn tbh but i have it down between :4yoshi: :4sonic: and :4miibrawl:. i have the most experience with sonic but damn mii brawler goes so damn fast and has phenomenal frame data. now i just have to cope with the fact that DI is a thing and my labbed 50% combos wont work in a real match :crying:

edit: when customs become the norm i will try out :4kirby: :4ganondorf: and :4myfriends:

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
That reminds me of the time a Luigi player in an online tourney called me an unskilled spammer for using Flame Choke when he was doing nothing but spamming fireballs and sitting in shield when I jumped over said fireballs. Scrubs gonna scrub.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
No one can deny that :4ganondorf: is the most unpredictable character in the game if you use him right. I just had the night of my life breaking read after read, doing a Zero-To-Death combo with him, and having the luckiest KO ever. I'm still reviewing my tapes to find out how the heck I managed to pull everything I can do with him off.

If anyone wants to find me, I'll just be playing more of the game soon.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
For Glory is a lot like dealing with traffic on your way to school/work/wherever; the person in the BMW/lifted gasoline pickup that does something to piss you off (or at least make you question their actions) will always get away unscathed, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

That guy that you beat 5 games straight, and on game 6 he self-destructs accidentally, and you do a pity SD because even you know that his SD was bull**** (Omega Lylat), and he ends up taking your last stock and after winning, changes his tag to an insult ("USUCK" or "GETREKT"), then leaves? He's gone, and you're sitting there feeling like a chump because you showed him some humility and got disrespected in return.

That's why I'm unconditionally ruthless on FG now. No taunts outside of dittos, just fighting.

Although I will stall a match out against a dancing Kirby.

Saturn_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Saturn.1000
Shulk is my most played character but I just really don't see myself ever picking him to main. You spend a huge amount of time fiddling with Monados but you'll still suffer dumb deaths and still will struggle to kill at times, which is what the Monados are supposed to be all about. Outside of Jump and Shield he actually dies pretty early, and his Up-B is bad (though not terrible). I think what really cinches it for me is the fact that "naked" outside of a Monado, he's very bad. I sort of wish that his neutral was worth fighting in and that Monados were like a targeted strike, but he's not worth playing unless he's "in character." Simply running away is sometimes preferable to fighting without a Monado. He's a blast to play and I could see myself playing him for fun forever, but as my get-serious-really-want-to-win character? I don't think so.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I do like For Glory. It's not the best but it does give you some experience against certain strategies and characters. It's not worthless.

I guess, its better for teaching ideas than techniques.

Regardless, I have a "HOLYPOOP" name for when I get floored. People react positively to that.

Last edited:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
Warning Received
Why are all the Ganon players in For Glory so polite?

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Warning Received
Because we ought to give one good experience, of course. Oh, and watch out for that impossible re-
Ganondorf simply and utterly destroys the concept of reads and just molds them together in his own image.

But yeah, Ganondorf players will be quite the challenge, but they're also polite to say the least. Want to go against one now?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Warning Received
For me and villager, when I saw Rugby Shirt on that pic of the day I literally told my friend "That one, I'm maining that one" before then I had NO interest in maining Villager.
When the demo came out I lost interest in villager partially because I was forced to play Turnip Top but mostly because my friend and main training partner was playing Megaman and Megaman is an unfun MU for Villager.

Later in another forum @Thinkaman requested a few customs on battles with me. I noticed I had the Timber counter (and kinda already knew of its jank) unlocked and had a Villager set for it so I tried her out now having access to Rugby Shirt.
After those battles he said and I quote "I loved playing your Villager" seeing someone enjoy playing against me made me so happy i started playing less of everyone and more of villager. To the point where I went to a phase where I ONLY played Villager.

Ofcourse If looks and others enjoyment where the only reason I main a character I would be a Ganon main, that's when I found out that Villager was a character, that I feel, was (almost) designed for me in mind.

Back in Brawl I played a lot of characters mostly Ness and TL because of their projectiles and occasional off stage game. I also love rushdown and I genuinely thought it was impossible to rushdown, have a solid offstage game, AND have solid projectiles... Until I played more of Villager Pac-Man!

Even though now I know that if I ever were to join a tournament, I'd probably lose to a stray Sheik/Sonic/Yoshi/Fox/MM, I still want to help in whatever small and miniscule way to strenghen this girl's meta.

I don't think I have ever been more passionate about a fighting game character than I have with Villager.

This is why I play Villager and I'm very curious to see why you guys main your mains
Fixed

|RK|

Smash Marketer

Back in Brawl I played a lot of characters mostly Ness and TL because of their projectiles and occasional off stage game. I also love rushdown and I genuinely thought it was impossible to rushdown, have a solid offstage game, AND have solid projectiles... Until I played more of Villager!

I like Kirby's games, and so I've played him since Melee. I started learning competitive techniques and matchup theory in Brawl, and I've dived in more seriously here. I still have a penchant for copy abilities that many others don't seem to have - I've learned to B-reverse Inhale for reads and I try to lab the more complex copy abilities. But really, it all adds together to make Kirby fun. He may be bottom tier, but I enjoy playing as him.

I liked Lucario ever since I saw him on the Dojo. I practiced him a bit in Brawl as well, and was prone to dair spamming, lol. I started playing him pretty much solo in this game, and I actually enjoy the aura gimmick. I learned a few combos and follow-ups that look pretty, and I still play him occasionally. But ultimately, I feel like people judge me because they think he's too cheap.

Hell, last tournament, I used my Lucario against this guy's Pikachu in game two (I lost round one with Kirby). I won that game with no Aura shenanigans - I killed him at normal kill percents. But I felt bad about that, and I felt like it became a little more tense than usual. So I switched back to Kirby and took my loss. C'est la vie.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I think it's a bit unfair for people to be complaining as hard when it comes to this game. We do have some janky stuff, and our good characters are certainly good (this game isn't the epitome of balance everywhere like we first thought) but it's still far more balanced than previously and unless the MU is really bad, it's a good environment for the better player to win.

You shouldn't feel bad for playing a character you like, good or no. That said, I totally respect your intentions to keep the atmosphere warm and amiable.

Sorry, I realise that's a tad off topic.

Does any of the mods or anyone at all know if a plan for a BR is in the works for this game yet? I really think it's time it was created, it's time we started having an official body to back projects, MU charts and tier lists. How we actually make those charts and lists can be different from before if we want to change it but I think the BR itself should be looked into now.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Because the sole idea of being ganondorf is disrespectfull man.
Only if you aren't really a Ganon main.
Imagine for yourself what it takes to main a character who demands a lot of matchup knowledge and experiences both massive highs AND lows in his general playstyle.

Obviously...I'm a Ganon main. Here's where I vouch for the rest of them by saying as a group we're a highly thoughtful, intelligent, and understanding bunch of people. We would have to be thoughtful and understanding in the first place in order to remove all your hopes of escaping imminent defeat of course.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Playing Ganon and winning against good players is like solving hard math equations. It appears hard initially but when you solve it, it is the most satisfying thing ever. Math is also a subject which demands respect, just like Ganon and their opponents.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Only if you aren't really a Ganon main.
Imagine for yourself what it takes to main a character who demands a lot of matchup knowledge and experiences both massive highs AND lows in his general playstyle.

Obviously...I'm a Ganon main. Here's where I vouch for the rest of them by saying as a group we're a highly thoughtful, intelligent, and understanding bunch of people. We would have to be thoughtful and understanding in the first place in order to remove all your hopes of escaping imminent defeat of course.
This sounds like Zelda, too (granted the highs don't come as easily but they're there and they hurt).
And yet Zelda mains (at least in their social) are the trolliest people you'll ever meet (not harmful, though).

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Returning to the subject of matchup discussion... I find it weird how tier lists and matchups are seen. The ratios given are more or less defined as how often we can expect two high-level players of equal skill to win when playing as particular characters.

I find that characters like Ganondorf skew that a little. Certainly, matchup numbers are taken from both how often we see a character win against another, as well as a direct comparison of options. But Ganondorf's entire play style is predicated upon mind games and reads more so than any other character (save for high-aura Lucario). His options may for the most part be slow, but the reward on those options is insane. Playing a character like Ganondorf requires a completely different approach than playing as other characters.

Added to everything else I just said, there are different sorts of skill in Smash - the ability to create strategies on the fly, conditioning your opponents... and then you have tech skill. Some players lean more in one direction, others lean in another. So two high-level players of "equal skill" could indeed do better or worse depending upon their play style and how well the characters they play match with it.

So for me, I can't see Ganondorf's matchup ratios in the same way as other matchup ratios. In addition, I could never see Ganondorf as low tier (but not high, either). His rewards are simply too great. If the reason for Lucario's high tier placement (or rather, expected high tier placement) is the sheer reward he gets from Aura, I can at least expect Ganondorf's sheer power to keep him from low tier. I also expect his matchups to be more player-dependent than option-dependent.

IMO.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Warning Received
For Glory is a lot like dealing with traffic on your way to school/work/wherever; the person in the BMW/lifted gasoline pickup that does something to piss you off (or at least make you question their actions) will always get away unscathed, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

That guy that you beat 5 games straight, and on game 6 he self-destructs accidentally, and you do a pity SD because even you know that his SD was bull**** (Omega Lylat), and he ends up taking your last stock and after winning, changes his tag to an insult ("USUCK" or "GETREKT"), then leaves? He's gone, and you're sitting there feeling like a chump because you showed him some humility and got disrespected in return.

That's why I'm unconditionally ruthless on FG now. No taunts outside of dittos, just fighting.

Although I will stall a match out against a dancing Kirby.

BRUH!!!!

Co-sign my dude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom