• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Oh yeah, don't talk about mewtwo or the notion of DLC here. Keep the speculator scumbaggery to somewhere more seedy and less attractive to read.

That was all I had issues with in the early days; killing. But I kept working on it and become more comfortable with his options. You can't land a kill with him on Wifi with anything but Dash Attack. But I can outspace you with fsmash for kills, dash up smash ludicrously fast and have forward air hitconfirm fast fall combos and it's safe on shield to boot.

On Wifi I still have issues, but use his monstrous forward tilt and down tilt to keep knocking people away in a way I'm sure most opponents find frustrating. The landing punishment or the off stage opportunity comes up eventually.
Pikachu is one of those charachters zss mains will have to adjust to i guess. I noticed when I fight pikachus, i tend to rely on down b mixups on the ground to respond to their spacing game. If i had a penny for every grab i wiffed against a pikachu :/

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I get the feeling ZSS would win air to air against Pikachu and kill just that little bit earlier. I'm not denying that Pikachu has some KO options, more just that i somewhat feel like Zero Suit's kill moves are more accessable and if she can get Pika into the air then she has it a little bit easier. This is just total speculation, though. I wouldn't think the MU would be massively in one side's favour, though.

Mewtwo's gonna suck

Getting used to Palutena. I'm had trouble using auto reticule so I switched to explosive flame which feels way better. Her aerials are noticeably good. I find myself using her f-air and b-air a lot. Her U-smash is amaaaazing. Celestial Fireworks is pretty much my favorite down B since I'm not that good with her counter PLUS, she's invincible for a while at the start up.

She'd be really good only if her tilts weren't ridiculously slow. Sure they have their uses but they're WAY too slow. Her jab is better than I thought....

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I feel cynical about base Kirby, but custom Kirby....Im feeling him.
Frankly Im opting a lot for improved recovery customs in general unless the up-B is a significant kill move.
If it's just some piss damage/kb it's not as valuable to me as improving your off-ledge and being able to secure more kills by taking the initiative. There are way too many potent recoveries even at the percieved top-end where you've got to be aggressive and if you have a mediocre recovery yourself, then you limit your K.O options to just being on-stage, and that is a waste as I see it.

Upper Cutter can do an aerial Kill, but more then that it's more potent at recovering. Jumping Inhale is horizontally relevant, as straight up reduces your reliance on jumps and it's gotten me more Copys then regular inhale. Hammer Bash is an alright situational K.O but when it hits it does exactly what you wanted it to do.

His Off-edge game is a beaut. Leaping Inhale gimps? No prob. D-Air for days because Upper Cutter will get you further than Final? That too.

I can't place custom Kirby anywhere but I've grown to like him now. I dig his tilts, I dig his aerials, If he had puffs air speed he'd be quite good. Smashes come out fast but again that range leaves something seriously to be desired.

Really finding personal interest in brawlers, tilts and Piston Punch + Up2 are really noteworthy kill moves, his F-smash has redonkulus lag. However in general I've been watching the tourney scene for him as well, which is quite small and he isn't really performing.

If anyone with tourney Pikachu footage would be kind to PM it, I am interested in seeing what Shaya is describing.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
With the reveal trailer being awesome and all, any thoughts on Bowser Jr?

Haven't heard anyone talk about him, he hasn't really had his day in the sun yet compared to Duck Hunt and Pac Man (and even then, most conversation currently revolves around the same 3~ish to some extent: Rosalina, Sheik, Little Mac)

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I get the feeling ZSS would win air to air against Pikachu and kill just that little bit earlier. I'm not denying that Pikachu has some KO options, more just that i somewhat feel like Zero Suit's kill moves are more accessable and if she can get Pika into the air then she has it a little bit easier. This is just total speculation, though. I wouldn't think the MU would be massively in one side's favour, though.
Currently not feeling ZSS having air dominance in the match up, but I must fear up air still obviously, although the disjoint on his down air is quite large from what I gather, trading favourably with her pretty reliably [although I'm sure ZSS players will figure out where she can actually afford to go for a follow up hit (probably not often at all) rather than maintaining an advantageous position]. At early glance, ZSS kills better for sure. But Tipper fsmash on Pika is killing a lightweight like her at around 90% and Up Smash by around 110%, in terms of raw near instantaneous kill power, Pika comes out on top. ZSS Fsmash plainly not hitting pikachu is glorious. I find nearly any Shuffle input is capable of getting him out of Up-B, so her non-multi hit custom seems superior but I don't think she has any set ups for it.

Honestly, it's obvious ZSS got buffed this game, but at the same time I don't feel like any of her buffs or changes correspond towards gaining anything meaningful in the Pikachu match up. What's new for her? A more sweeping anti-air dash attack, a more usable grab and an Up-B OoS or out of a combo that just doesn't work on him. Meanwhile her Side-B, Down Smash and down tilt nerfs take away nearly all pressure she had on Pikachu trying to land and she must substitute those much more punishing and dangerous options from Brawl with Dash Attack and her Laser, neither of which I think Pikachu has issues out outmaneuvering.

And also, all my pika hype stems from primarily no-customs play. He will likely be the character I will choose to main if customs end up getting banned. However, with customs he gets thunder wave (turns his thunderjolt into ZSS paralyzer except its still thunder jolt, just travels half the distance), which makes him even scarier to deal with when its combawz for years and electric hit lag on shield; however I think against some of those scary heavies I listed earlier he'd prefer the default for a better camp game. A side-b custom that seems like a no-brainer straight buff (faster to come out more powerful hitbox, but only sweetspots at the start of the move, lol) which he doesn't need, but it's a sweetener. All three thunders seem to have some uses, but I think I prefer default (will probably switch it up for doubles). Up-B default seems preferable, as the Meteor Striking one has a stupidly small window to input the second dash and is shorter, and while I haven't even tried his quick-feet one, I'm not sure you'd need it anywhere?

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
With the reveal trailer being awesome and all, any thoughts on Bowser Jr?

Haven't heard anyone talk about him, he hasn't really had his day in the sun yet compared to Duck Hunt and Pac Man (and even then, most conversation currently revolves around the same 3~ish to some extent: Rosalina, Sheik, Little Mac)
I have not yet faced a single Bowser Jr. online that gave my Rosalina trouble, but that comes with the obvious caveats: For Glory is not representative, possible skill disparity, etc. etc. ad nauseum. But within those constraints I've been able to just sit back and force them to approach me since GPull negates the cannonball and Mechakoopa, and Luma Shot beats the kart special, whatever it's called. From there it's pretty manageable.

Take with salt as usual.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I have not yet faced a single Bowser Jr. online that gave my Rosalina trouble, but that comes with the obvious caveats: For Glory is not representative, possible skill disparity, etc. etc. ad nauseum. But within those constraints I've been able to just sit back and force them to approach me since GPull negates the cannonball and Mechakoopa, and Luma Shot beats the kart special, whatever it's called. From there it's pretty manageable.

Take with salt as usual.
The main issue with the current Bowser Jr meta is that people are hugely mistaken about his moves. We think MechaKoopa is for stage control, when it isn't - it can be grabbed easily, and as the meta develops it will happen constantly and reliably for your opponents. Mechkoopa is an ITEM - you plant it to grab it, and if you DON'T grab it, then it's an approach-buddy. Similar to pikachu's bolt at times, Mario's fireballs, Megaman's sawblade, and Samus' missiles - you shoot these babies out and then follow them to force your opponent to shield your approach or roll/spotdodge.

Too many Bowser Jrs plant a mechkoopa and shoot cannons as if it provides any actual pressure. It doesn't - these things are easy to deal with while being aggressive, never mind defensive. Cannons are good for punishing landings, but they are telegraphed and once people are more used to fighting Bowser Jrs, it won't be reliable anymore. The cannon is good at certain things, but not 'camping' or spamming. It's good for forcing approaches and edgeguarding, but even then it's not ideal.

Same goes for almost all current thought-to-be 'good' clown kart approaches.

Clown Kart approach-mix-ups are useless on grounded opponents as, inevitably, opponents will know to just shield and wait for you to land. You lose all of your options in the clown kart to deal with shields, much like Sonic when spindashing. However sonic has speed and surprise, which is when he can actually land spindash approaches on grounded opponents. Otherwise, he can't (as you can simply use shield to counter a lot of Sonic's more elementary from-neutral spindash options).

Clown Kart is better used as a mobility tool, extra jump, and aerial approach option (where enemies can't shield, only spotdodge). But his meta is currently in the 'clown kart mixups are our meta' stage, which may be a dead end when it comes to high-level play.

This is why I started the other thread here about Character subforum involvement - it's important we talk about these things and make them known. :)

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The main issue with the current Bowser Jr meta is that people are hugely mistaken about his moves. We think MechaKoopa is for stage control, when it isn't - it can be grabbed easily, and as the meta develops it will happen constantly and reliably for your opponents. Mechkoopa is an ITEM - you plant it to grab it, and if you DON'T grab it, then it's an approach-buddy. Similar to pikachu's bolt at times, Mario's fireballs, Megaman's sawblade, and Samus' missiles - you shoot these babies out and then follow them to force your opponent to shield your approach or roll/spotdodge.

Too many Bowser Jrs plant a mechkoopa and shoot cannons as if it provides any actual pressure. It doesn't - these things are easy to deal with while being aggressive, never mind defensive. Cannons are good for punishing landings, but they are telegraphed and once people are more used to fighting Bowser Jrs, it won't be reliable anymore. Same goes for almost all current thought-to-be 'good' clown kart approaches.

Clown Kart approach-mix-ups are useless on grounded opponents as, inevitably, opponents will know to just shield and wait for you to land. You lose all of your options in the clown kart to deal with shields, much like Sonic when spindashing. However sonic has speed and surprise, which is when he can actually land spindash approaches on grounded opponents. Otherwise, he can't (as you can simply use shield to counter a lot of Sonic's more elementary from-neutral spindash options).

Clown Kart is better used as a mobility tool, extra jump, and aerial approach option (where enemies can't shield, only spotdodge). But his meta is currently in the 'clown kart mixups are our meta' stage, which may be a dead end when it comes to high-level play.

This is why I started the other thread here about Character subforum involvement - it's important we talk about these things and make them known. :)
All good points, although I discovered something interesting about the Mechakoopa: If Rosalina uses GPull on it, it floats over to her and keeps on walking, but now it's owned by her and will detonate if it runs into Bowser Jr. Obvious in hindsight but it still surprised me when it happened.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Eh, I'll believe the Mewtwo DLC when I actually see him in action. That 3D model means nothing to the validity of the claim.:troll:

Back on topic, if what I am hearing about Pikachu is true, then I can see him being ranked somewhere either really low on high tier, or really high on high-mid tier (in other words, around 10-13 and depending on the total number of compatible matchups, most likely a reliable counterpick option). Frankly, I don't see Pikachu beating Rosalina thanks to Gravitational Pull and her Luma in conjunction, but there might also be something there against Sheik and Greninja. Definitely some options against Sonic and Little Mac (in fact, I can see Pikachu serving as a fairly decent counter against Sonic), but beyond that...yeah, after playing him for quite a while, I never doubted he'd be competitively viable yet again.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I think the Koopalings will be good once people start to figure them out and mess with their custom moves, Big Mecha Koopa is probably his best Dspecial since you can grab it instantly instead of having to run after it and grab it. I also think they have a surprisingly good footsie game, not as good as some others but it definitely ain't bad. Utilt seems to be a good combo starter. Fair and Bair are pretty great, Uair and Nair seem good, and Dair seems eh. Off stage game is good along with on stage. Unsure on Sspecial so far, Koopa Drift will be the best I think, as it isn't fast enough to be unpredictable. I don't see much reason to stray away from the default Uspecial really. Nspecial seems bad overall, though the piercing one is decent.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Mewtwo's gonna suck

Getting used to Palutena. I'm had trouble using auto reticule so I switched to explosive flame which feels way better. Her aerials are noticeably good. I find myself using her f-air and b-air a lot. Her U-smash is amaaaazing. Celestial Fireworks is pretty much my favorite down B since I'm not that good with her counter PLUS, she's invincible for a while at the start up.

She'd be really good only if her tilts weren't ridiculously slow. Sure they have their uses but they're WAY too slow. Her jab is better than I thought....
Palutena is actually considerably less garbage than she initially seems. Almost certainly still low tier, but not quite the write-off many of us thought. Her air game is actually really good, especially Fair and Uair, and that USmash is great against opponents who try to approach her from the air.

In many ways she's like a slightly buffed Zelda.

Palutena is actually considerably less garbage than she initially seems. Almost certainly still low tier, but not quite the write-off many of us thought. Her air game is actually really good, especially Fair and Uair, and that USmash is great against opponents who try to approach her from the air.

I don't think she's garbage. I'll admit, it's difficult to get the hang of her but I've been into that territory a lot (Shulk and Rosy)

I don't think she's total ****

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427

Zelda has better normals than Palutena though. Faster pokes that are safer on whiff and block that also have followup potential. Doesn't build damage from throws quite as fast, but she has better grab range and KO throws. Zelda's recovery and land trap options are also noticeably better than Palutena's. Palutena has considerable trouble KOing outside of edgeguard situations (keeping in mind, Zelda's edgeguarding is quite lethal in this game too), while Zelda in contrast with her Up-B and lingering Smashes is much better at covering landing options.

Buffed Zelda you say? Zelda realistically should be mid tier.

Last edited:

Novice_Brave

Smash Journeyman

I dunno, I think I would say Zelda is a better character than Palutena. Her ground game is far better - ftilt does more damage, is faster, is safer on miss, and fails to lead into anything just as poorly :laugh:. Dtilt can be used a couple times for a quick ~8% damage, pops them up for some followup shenanigans at times, and again is far safer. Utilt - like before - is far safer, quicker, and has a better hitbox that actually has some horizontal range and more vertical height. Jab's kind of meh, but you can act out of it fast enough to pull off an ftilt/dash attack a lot of the time - and her dash attack is also quite a bit faster with a better hitbox and comparable damage. Doesn't have the "shield" property though ofc, props to Palu for that one.

Her smashes are all plenty good as kill moves, usually able to kill at or below an "average" kill percent, and they're all - again - way faster and safer than Palutena's. It's still possible to "whiff" the fsmash, but it's not too bad - and you'll probably never be whiffing it if you know where the sourspot of it is. They don't have nearly as much range, but I'd take the lowered range over the insane startup times and endlag. Also better as things to throw out for just racking damage - which she can take advantage of more than some other characters thanks to how many raw kill moves she has in her arsenal.

I don't think either of them are near the top, but I think Palu could be among the lowest of the low whereas Zelda is sitting closer to the top of the pile of low tier characters.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I still think people calling Palutena low tier aren't taking custom moves into consideration. :L
That's precisely the point. Most arguments by default are going to consider default sets until we establish customs-allowed tournaments. This isn't a problem as long as the distinction is clear.

HiNiTe

Smash Cadet
Creating two separate tier lists with and without custom moves is incredibly ridiculous. Don't you know how much time it takes to even create one official tier list, especially with this many characters in the game and all the variables?

Yes, there are characters who excel better with custom moves, but it's usually matchup-dependent and only buffs a few parts of their game. Palutena still has **** ground normals. Ganondorf is still too slow even with his incredible Down-B custom. False loves to use DK's up-B custom at least once to gain an advantage over opponents who can't deal with it.

Also, I can agree Pikachu is very good, he's just not used a lot. He feels awkward on the 3DS and his recovery is slightly gimped due to it. He doesn't give my Rosalina much trouble even though he's small; kinda annoying with Ness though.

Signia

Smash Lord
That's precisely the point. Most arguments by default are going to consider default sets until we establish customs-allowed tournaments. This isn't a problem as long as the distinction is clear.
At this point you should probably assume they'll be on. Consider customs-on to be the default until customs-banned tournaments are established. Because guess what, customs-on tournaments are the norm now, at least for publicized tournaments like the ones on Smash Studios and Tourney Locator.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
At this point you should probably assume they'll be on. Consider customs-on to be the default until customs-banned tournaments are established. Because guess what, customs-on tournaments are the norm now, at least for publicized tournaments like the ones on Smash Studios and Tourney Locator.
Assume, you said? Why are you even trying to argue this?

It's a fallacy to make assumptions in an argument. Relevant case in point: Customs are not allowed in virtually all the Japanese tournaments that we have information of.

This isn't an argument about whether or not we agree customs are better for the game. The reality is that this game is played competitively in more than one format, and thus demands a necessary distinction when making an argument about competitive viability.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458

It's a fallacy to make assumptions in an argument. Relevant case in point: Customs are not allowed in virtually all the Japanese tournaments that we have information of.

This isn't an argument about whether or not we agree customs are better for the game. The reality is that this game is played competitively in more than one format, and thus demands a necessary distinction when making an argument about competitive viability.
We aren't japanese. The NA scene so far is quite Custom friendly.

Signia

Smash Lord

Whose the one making assumptions here? Both of us. The argument is all about what we should assume, and you think is this is a fallacy?

Once again, I suggest we assume customs are on because that's what's being run in popular tournaments in the U.S.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I thought DK's upB custom was great until I learned I could just air dodge/avoid it, and now it's just "good" to me.

Ike's customs turns around many potentially unfavorable MUs. I think it will cause major annoyance to those that have to deal with his suped up specials.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I still think people calling Palutena low tier aren't taking custom moves into consideration. :L
Some of her custom moves are better, but still not good enough to turn around her entire game, her sluggish speed and for the most part weak moves still remain as her biggest weaknesses. I feel like the developers really overestimated how much her range would benefit her honestly.

Last edited:

allshort17

Smash Ace
Creating two separate tier lists with and without custom moves is incredibly ridiculous. Don't you know how much time it takes to even create one official tier list, especially with this many characters in the game and all the variables?

Yes, there are characters who excel better with custom moves, but it's usually matchup-dependent and only buffs a few parts of their game. Palutena still has **** ground normals. Ganondorf is still too slow even with his incredible Down-B custom. False loves to use DK's up-B custom at least once to gain an advantage over opponents who can't deal with it.

Also, I can agree Pikachu is very good, he's just not used a lot. He feels awkward on the 3DS and his recovery is slightly gimped due to it. He doesn't give my Rosalina much trouble even though he's small; kinda annoying with Ness though.
Why do we have to have official tier lists to begin with? Why can't we do what the FGC does and have players post their own tier lists while having a general consensus on who's stronger and who's not? Deciding Tiers don't directly impact the game. They're just a tradition we've kept but never needed.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Because when players post individual tier lists they have a tendency to do things such as rate their own character higher (I know I would, even though i'm trying to get out of the habit of only talking about my main these days haha) or rate other characters lower for no real reason except "hey I destroy this Yoshi character online, he must be like, low tier!"

A community tier list begins to remove this subjectivity from deciding which characters are more competitively viable. It doesn't outright get rid of it but reduces it to the point where tier lists are generally a good measurement. And sometimes it's important to know exactly where each characters goes and what match-ups they have.

The common perception is that tier lists don't actually change anything about the game, but I disagree. Meta Knight in Brawl was known as the best character from the get-go. If you look at character popularity, you'll notice this position gave him a significant number of players more than any other. Do you really think 1000+ people just really loved Meta Knight as a character in stark contrast to the few dozen that actually used Ganondorf? It's obvious that tiers affect character popularity due to who people think are competitively viable, and if that one spot means the difference between your character being high tier or mid tier, that could really, really change the way that character is played, how frequently and perhaps their results. It's for this reason that individual tier lists could screw up characters that don't deserve it (without doing anything in the opposite direction mind you, a bad character that everyone thinks is good will just be played until he/she becomes bad and everyone feels like they invested time into a character who can't achieve as well).

Perhaps it can be argued that without tiers this would never have happened; but it's kinda too late to say 'we should remove tier lists now'.

Sorry, I don't mean to come off as negative, though this certainly must sound like it. I'm just saying tier lists decided by groups will create a healthier list than those created by individuals. :)

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I think palutena and Zelda are opposites. Like Palutena has a better air game while Zelda is better at ground. Zelda's air attacks have lag while palutena's grounded attacks have lag. As for bowser jr I'm starting to think as time continues to pass he'll fall lower into the ranks. Other than his tilts I feel like his specials can actually hurt him or the most part if you don't space the koopalings so you can pick them up, the canon leaves him wide open, and his smashes all seem very punishable.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I think palutena and Zelda are opposites. Like Palutena has a better air game while Zelda is better at ground. Zelda's air attacks have lag while palutena's grounded attacks have lag. As for bowser jr I'm starting to think as time continues to pass he'll fall lower into the ranks. Other than his tilts I feel like his specials can actually hurt him or the most part if you don't space the koopalings so you can pick them up, the canon leaves him wide open, and his smashes all seem very punishable.
They're both very slow as well. Everyone talks about how badly Zelda and Palutena counter Mega Man, but I don't really see it. I used to have issues with Zelda, but not anymore since you just wait for her to do something stupid and punish, which is way easier to do against her compared to the rest of the cast. Same story with Palutena. They make them defensive characters and strip them of their offense, but they end up wasting that defensive potential as well by giving their moves horrendous numbers of frames. As such, they can really only defend until they realize that they're not getting any hits in.

They're both very slow as well. Everyone talks about how badly Zelda and Palutena counter Mega Man, but I don't really see it. I used to have issues with Zelda, but not anymore since you just wait for her to do something stupid and punish, which is way easier to do against her compared to the rest of the cast. Same story with Palutena. They make them defensive characters and strip them of their offense, but they end up wasting that defensive potential as well by giving their moves horrendous numbers of frames. As such, they can really only defend until they realize that they're not getting any hits in.
You can't really assume that a good Zelda player would do something stupid.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
If palutena were to focus on mainly using her tilts and smashes i'd say she would be slow but for the most part she can be aggressive using Fair and her jab pressure. They counter megaman but its not like they invalidate him. If megaman mixes up his game he can pose and issue for both of them. Watch some of Aerolink's matches on Tourney Locator, to me he plays a pretty balanced palutena.

BBC7

Smash Ace
I'm just being really salty, is all. I know Zelda and Palutena aren't as bad as I described them to be, although I still think most of their moves are too slow in terms of frames and that is an issue for the two characters.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I'm just being really salty, is all. I know Zelda and Palutena aren't as bad as I described them to be, although I still think most of their moves are too slow in terms of frames and that is an issue for the two characters.
That I would agree with. To be honest I would trade range for some of palutena's smashes, except for up smash for a reduced recovery. I can deal with the tilts.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Zelda's biggest weakness isn't frame data. Her only two weaknesses are ground mobility and the lack of an aerial approach. If either of those didn't exist, I guarantee you Zelda would be a straight up overpowered character because her ground moves to be frank are REALLY REALLY GOOD. Like, competing with other top tier characters besides Little Mac good. And she can get back into neutral better than most characters besides like...Pikachu and Pac Man.

Zelda's most likely just mid tier though. Her gameplan isn't bad by any means, it just has counters. Not unlike Bowser and Megaman really.

Now Palutena in contrast does have rather poor frame data. Her advantages hinge on her massive grab reward and customs giving her mobility.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Some of her custom moves are better, but still not good enough to turn around her entire game, her sluggish speed and for the most part weak moves still remain as her biggest weaknesses. I feel like the developers really overestimated how much her range would benefit her honestly.
Super Speed alone is enough to turn around her entire game. It is easily one of the best moves in the game.

As for bowser jr I'm starting to think as time continues to pass he'll fall lower into the ranks. Other than his tilts I feel like his specials can actually hurt him or the most part if you don't space the koopalings so you can pick them up, the canon leaves him wide open, and his smashes all seem very punishable.
I think the opposite. As time passes I think the Koopalings will go up in the ranks. His Smashes are punishable, but that hardly matters when they have other kill options. Koopalings main way to kill will be though edge guarding, which they are very good at doing since they can go deep. Other then that Bair and Uair are pretty good kill moves as well. As for the Mecha Koopas, if you switch to the big one, 3rd Dspecial, you don't have to worry about catching up to one so you can pick it up as you can pick up the big one without even moving. I also believe most of their attacks are considered disjointed, someone correct me on this if I'm wrong, and have good range to them. They have a good Jab, good tilts, and good aerials, and can recover from deep giving them a solid on-stage and off-stage game.

But the way most of the people that are playing them is kinda meh. To much Koopa Kart, it's nice in theory but is really just too slow, and trying to use Mecha Koopas for stage control by letting them walk around instead of picking them up or approaching with them.

also on the Palutena talk, I think it is worth keeping in mind that she can nullify a good portion of attacks (all?) with Dash Attack and Bair, at least from my experience they have stopped a good portion of attacks.

HiNiTe

Smash Cadet
Why do we have to have official tier lists to begin with? Why can't we do what the FGC does and have players post their own tier lists while having a general consensus on who's stronger and who's not? Deciding Tiers don't directly impact the game. They're just a tradition we've kept but never needed.
I wasn't saying there had to be one, I was just making a point.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I put greater than 50% odds that Olimar is the worst character in the game as we know it.

How does he kill? ...smashes? Off-stage fairs?

I thought Hyper Monado Arts was crap

until I tried it

I KO'd Bowser with Shulk's slightly charged u-smash at 53%. Smash activated

I also KO'd him with forward power vision counter against one tick of his flame at 63%. Smash activated

Using power vision btw

It's really risky but honestly, the reward of KO'ing at ridiculously low percentages is interesting

I tinkered around with it yet again in training mode

Uncharged u-smash KO's Rosalina at 57%. U-tilt KO's at 76%. All with hyper smash (Edit: I redid it in a normal fight to make sure it's right. Yep, it's right)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom