• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
Congrats to Zero for winning this. You went from being hated to being a hero in Smash 4s top 8 of Apex 2015!

I still liked this top 8, but there were some boring MUs (It is to be expected) and there were some things I disliked! Other than that, enjoyable top 8 and again, congrats to Zero!

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Well I managed to see the semifinals and the grand final and that was rather disappointing and predictable.

Oh well. I'm gonna look aMSa's matches later.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Zero's Diddy is so amazing. On another level.

If you told these people a week ago they'd be cheering for a Diddy in finals, they'd laugh. Now they decide they don't like someone's "play style" when he's just emphasizing his mains' strengths.

You know, there are other flavors besides salt.
Not enough to be good. You gotta be good the correct way.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Zero looks like he completely outplayed Dabuz, Diddy or no. He just read Dabuz like an open book.

sunset_raven

Smash Cadet
Completely expected ZeRo to win, but I wish that match was closer.

Good stuff on Dabuz getting 2nd place though.
Yeah, that was pretty anti-hype. At least for me. But ZeRo was just overwhelming. Congrats to them.

And I hope people at least stop with the hate. It's pretty ridiculous. Like or dislike, dissing the player is just sad.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
ZeRo has been destroying players left and right ever since the Smash 4 invitational, so I'm not surprised it was destruction for Grand Finals. No one has been able to reach his level yet.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796

If you told these people a week ago they'd be cheering for a Diddy in finals, they'd laugh. Now they decide they don't like someone's "play style" when he's just emphasizing his mains' strengths.

Well what else did you expect when someone is basically taking the "elephant in the room" of a strategy in Smash 4 and bringing it to second place? No one who has been playing Smash for a long time wants to see a guy winning with time-outs to win the tournament with those strategies. It legitimizes complaints about the game. Diddy might be obnoxious and be pretty accessible, but he at least makes matches go reasonably quick and at least has an aggression game.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I made the mistake of seeing the twitch chat and it pretty much made me too sad to be that excited for the rest of top 8 save for 6WX's Sonic. I'm just glad the Melee chants didn't happen (or if they did they weren't that noticeable).

I must say though, if optimal Sm4sh play is looks like Zero's Diddy I'm hoping to see other players bring their characters to that level. Here's hoping for the future.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Why is there so much salt about Dabuz? The only problem I saw all day was Pacman vs Rosalina, because it was three full 6 minute matches in a row, and that's just due to the nature of the characters+players using them. It happens.

People just want mindless rushdown aggro all the time nonsense, rather than actually using their brains. If you actually know the game, and watch the match, and get into the players' minds, then you'll understand what's going on.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458

Um nah. Some of you forget the 3ds tournaments.

They were rooting for Diddy against Dabuz back then.
Rosalina is literally the character the majority of the playerbase does not want to see.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Zero played incredibly well against Dabuz, who managed to zone out M2K. The man just got in Dabuz's head.

As for Dabuz, I wish he actually played Rosaluma in the last set, regardless of the MU. His Olimar is more one dimensional than his Rosalina, who he can actually go in with hard. I don't know if people are watching Dabuz with preconceived notions, but his playstyle is hardly camping. He does have a zone-centric, somewhat defensive playstyle, but he is not above getting in and wrecking, like he did with Mr. R.

I enjoyed the variety of the matches and playstyles, and I'm glad it wasn't just rush-down vs. rush-down the whole way. I was pulling for 6WX, just for the underdog story, but I think he, and everyone else, was just destined to get bodied by Zero.

NairWizard

Somewhere
Congrats to Zero.

My thoughts relevant to this topic: your choice of character does not determine your record, not to any significant extent. Why do we not see Zinoto or other true Diddy mains since Brawl winning tournaments? Why is it Zero, the same guy who won tons of Brawl tournaments with Meta Knight? I'll tell you why. Because he's Zero, and he's clearly the best player in this game right now. Very rarely is a player ever truly held back by his character. Maybe aMSa in Melee. Almost everyone else saying that they can't win because of Diddy is johning, straight up.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One question I do have to ask is whether or not Nintendo executives were actually viewing the tournament and taking notes.

I doubt considering that the guys there don't know jack and probably didn't even bother, but you know it wouldn't hurt to at least prevent Diddy from preforming clean sweeps easily.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Zero's Diddy is just plain crazy, I can see why he's dominating Sm4sh.

The finals were a bit disappointing, but Apex at least is going to make interest in Greninja, Pac and DH grow a bit and that makes me happy.

It's very late here now so I'll have to watch aMSa's matches tomorrow. I'm very excited to watch them, he's really good at bringing the best from Greninja.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
so how long before zero plateaus and everyone catches up? or should we roast convince zero to advance other characters metagames?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I think a commentator already said ZeRo was switching to Shulk and Falcon after this during the match I believe? THAT is gonna be really cool if it's true.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Nintendo: Oh, look at these top 16 characters! Let's nerf them to even the battle field!
Greninja and Rosalina mains: ...

I literally can't wait for the amount of salt if Nintendo nerfs things based on this tournament lmao.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Zero's Diddy is just plain crazy, I can see why he's dominating Sm4sh.

The finals were a bit disappointing, but Apex at least is going to make interest in Greninja, Pac and DH grow a bit and that makes me happy.

It's very late here now so I'll have to watch aMSa's matches tomorrow. I'm very excited to watch them, he's really good at bringing the best from Greninja.
I actually think watching Amsa's greninja was the most enjoyable part of the tournament for me. Well, besides seeing MikeKirby, but that was only one match, and against a Sonic, which is one of my least favorite matchups... what about you guys? :D

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Well what else did you expect when someone is basically taking the "elephant in the room" of a strategy in Smash 4 and bringing it to second place? No one who has been playing Smash for a long time wants to see a guy winning with time-outs to win the tournament with those strategies. It legitimizes complaints about the game. Diddy might be obnoxious and be pretty accessible, but he at least makes matches go reasonably quick and at least has an aggression game.
Assuming you're talking about the Rosalina vs. Pac-Man matches, also I can't comment on the rest because I was otherwise occupied and missed all the games after that. But I'm really not sure what else you expected to happen when you have two defensive zoning characters fight each other.

I mean, if I complained that Little Mac made matches go too fast I'd be laughed out of the forum because no duh.
I think a commentator already said ZeRo was switching to Shulk and Falcon after this during the match I believe? THAT is gonna be really cool if it's true.
Okay, Zero playing Shulk sounds really cool and I wonder what he could do with the Monado Arts.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Going by those who know Zero, given that he would win Apex, he wanted to main Shulk or Falcon after the tourney. Zero playing Shulk would be my dream, so I'm hoping he follows through. Evo is around the corner, though, so...

ETA: beaten to it.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Zero played incredibly well against Dabuz, who managed to zone out M2K. The man just got in Dabuz's head.

As for Dabuz, I wish he actually played Rosaluma in the last set, regardless of the MU. His Olimar is more one dimensional than his Rosalina, who he can actually go in with hard. I don't know if people are watching Dabuz with preconceived notions, but his playstyle is hardly camping. He does have a zone-centric, somewhat defensive playstyle, but he is not above getting in and wrecking, like he did with Mr. R.

I enjoyed the variety of the matches and playstyles, and I'm glad it wasn't just rush-down vs. rush-down the whole way. I was pulling for 6WX, just for the underdog story, but I think he, and everyone else, was just destined to get bodied by Zero.
I think what people mean is that he only goes in when Luma is attached and able to provide ridiculous hitbox coverage and clashing opportunities. Otherwise, he sits back. A valid strategy, and one that people have a right to find boring. But it still takes a lot of skill to go up against such good rushdown players while playing zoning. Rosalina definitely makes the job easier, as her forgiving hitboxes, disjoints, and luma allow for things no other character can do against rushdown characters.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I actually think watching Amsa's greninja was the most enjoyable part of the tournament for me. Well, besides seeing MikeKirby, but that was only one match, and against a Sonic, which is one of my least favorite matchups... what about you guys? :D
MVD vs Amsa was really fun to watch.

Amsa in general was way too enjoyable to watch. Same with Abadango and Dabuz' Olimar.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Guessing he wants to try something that is less brain dead.

I would be hyped for Shulk though with people complaining about Shulk being overpowered.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Congrats to Zero.

My thoughts relevant to this topic: your choice of character does not determine your record, not to any significant extent. Why do we not see Zinoto or other true Diddy mains since Brawl winning tournaments? Why is it Zero, the same guy who won tons of Brawl tournaments with Meta Knight? I'll tell you why. Because he's Zero, and he's clearly the best player in this game right now. Very rarely is a player ever truly held back by his character. Maybe aMSa in Melee. Almost everyone else saying that they can't win because of Diddy is johning, straight up.
Zero is the best.

But part of being the best is recognizing the best chars.

You think he could have won Apex with Game & Watch?

Be serious.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Um nah. Some of you forget the 3ds tournaments.

They were rooting for Diddy against Dabuz back then.
Rosalina is literally the character the majority of the playerbase does not want to see.
Back then people believed Rosalina was the strongest character in the game until she was nerfed, and people did not believe Diddy was the strongest character in the game until v1.04 came out.

Dabuz doesn't even believe Rosalina is the best in the game (he believes she is #10). He plays her because he prefers zoning tactics. I often feel like people are too immature to realize this. We always say "Play to Win", but when they win in a way we don't like, we go against them.

Hating on Leffen is cool because he wants you to hate him. He feeds off that. Dabuz is just genuinely wanting to win tournaments with a style he relies on.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
I got in just to see the grand finals. The commentators said that only one Diddy was in top 8.

Can anyone list out the other characters in top 8 for me?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Zero is the best.

But part of being the best is recognizing the best chars.

You think he could have won Apex with Game & Watch?

Be serious.
I wouldn't put it past him, honestly.
Dabuz doesn't even believe Rosalina is the best in the game (he believes she is #10). He plays her because he prefers zoning tactics. I often feel like people are too immature to realize this. We always say "Play to Win", but when they win in a way we don't like, we go against them.
Very well said.
What does that mean? Zer0 clearly was the better player.
People hating on Dabuz and his defensive Rosalina despite him taking second with that and Olimar.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I got in just to see the grand finals. The commentators said that only one Diddy was in top 8.

Can anyone list out the other characters in top 8 for me?
Yea can someone who knows the player mains post the results? :O

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom