• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I for one, would like to see a rematch between Mr. R and Zero at Grand Finals.

Also, if Sm4sh Bo5s are going to take so long, they need to go back to Bo3s. That and they need to stop coaching in between matches.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I will make a confession. I love Rosalina as a character, but her properties as a fighter does not click with me. I dislike the defensive nature of her and prefer aggression and precision. I like CQC oriented fighters.

That said, the comments against Dabuz for his preferred style is actually pretty disgusting. If you don't like the character, that's totally cool, but don't nag on players for playing on the character's strengths.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
When is Mr.R gonna learn not to drop on top of RosaLume, and stop getting USmashed.

Edit: I see all the grab opportunities with Luma gone, but he just sits in shield. Sigh.

Edit2: 3-0ed. Hopefully Zero shows some patience. Zero has timed people out before, I can't say I'd disagree with doing it again.

Last edited:

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Dabuz is the lamest, unhypest player I've ever witnessed.
Is it because he doesn't play a speed demon character? Because I rather enjoy the different style.

Honestly. People complain about lack of character diversity, and then turn and complain about the only person not playing quick, fast falling characters.

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
I will make a confession. I love Rosalina as a character, but her properties as a fighter does not click with me. I dislike the defensive nature of her and prefer aggression and precision. I like CQC oriented fighters.

That said, the comments against Dabuz for his preferred style is actually pretty disgusting. If you don't like the character, that's totally cool, but don't nag on players for playing on the character's strengths.
I agree. Rosalina can be aggressive, but she plays better camping, which she was designed to be campy.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
These sets all show that getting rid of Luma means not a darn thing.

Dabuz is a great player, and players are going to have to learn how to deal with players who can surround themselves in hitboxes constantly when threatened, and play defensively otherwise. Very solid strategy so far as we can see. He doesn't have the technical skill, I don't think, that his opponents have. Rather, he has a playstyle that makes himself a huge threat - he's reacting to the meta and utilizing a skillset that works well in it currently, and players are going to have to adapt to this playstyle and figure out how to counter it.

Rosalina is no less scary than she was in Smash 3ds when played as a keepaway zoner who uses her disjoints and luma to completely shut down a wide variety of options. And we're seeing that again.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
So, Olimar vs Diddy.

I do not believe Dabuz will go Rosalina against ZeRo. I completely expect Olimar.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Here it is everybody; Dabuz vs Zero! Let's hope that this is an awesome set!

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
Is it because he doesn't play a speed demon character? Because I rather enjoy the different style.

Honestly. People complain about lack of character diversity, and then turn and complain about the only person not playing quick, fast falling characters.
I main Pac-Man dude I don't care about camping. Zoning characters can be fun and entertaining to watch, but there's just something about Dabuz's play style that's just so... so boring.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I think that's what bugging me the most about watching her playstyle. She seemed to be advertised as a puppet master character with space-controlling shenanigans, but the way she seems to be played here is a character who just sits there and uses the extra disjoint from Luma to stuff any and all approaches. Really not much fun to watch.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Ya'll are forgetting how hard it can be to chase sonic around and the fact that Diddy is basically Ice Climbers without the tech barrier. You can't just run into these guys when your character is meant to reach in as safely as possible.

M2K could have won if he used Bananas to block off escapes, but he just blindly threw them at olimars shield and followed in without a confirm.

@ Conda Conda , getting rid of luma neuters rosalina's punish game and allows you to take more risks to punish her and close out a stock. Obviously she is going to try to stall out that time, but I think 6wx showed how much can be done if you stay on her when she is alone.

I think Mr R just wasnt prepared to play falcon. He was buffering upsmashes that had to be uairs but the timing is different for a slower jumper like falcon. I think he just lost the patience to chase dabuz around with such a weak character.

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
I find it ironic that people wanted Diddy to be destroyed at Apex 2015, and now people are cheering for Zero to win with Diddy lol.

All well, lets see what happens!

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Olimar in Grand Finals. This is pretty cool. People should NOT complain about Diddy anymore. He has been far from dominating in this tournament.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Depends. It doesn't for Sheik because she can't kill anything. There are MUs where it matters more, most significantly the Diddy MU, because he can both run down and kill Rosa.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Olimar beating Diddy? Not Zeros Diddy apparently.

Edit: Even the crowd is cheering for Zero, Lmao the anti-camp salt is real.

Edit2: Dabuz going for walkoff cheese, Zero didn't fall for it lol.

Edit3: 2-0 now.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Never would I have ever thought that I'd be rooting for a Diddy Kong in the grand finals of Smash 4. These finals have left a horrible, bitter taste in my mouth. Disgusting to see the most brainless, easy KO character and the campiest, most boring to watch character in the top two positions. All I can hope for is for Zero to handily beat Dabuz because I'd honestly rather deal with easy KOs then the hell that is campy players.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Rosalina also has trouble with other zoning characters. You guys might wind up feeling bad for dabuz if he had to fight zucco or mvd.

I want Zero to win because he isn't a cheesy Diddy.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
M2K tried this and it was working until he couldn't take it any more and got bored. Not everyone wants to play the way Dabuz does, and it ends up working very well for Dabuz because he's so good at defensive zoning.

Dabuz's general strategy has to do with tossing out hitboxes constantly, and a lot of players have a hard time 'getting in' and dealing with it, before Luma hits them (or Olimar's Pikmin). There's a reason DAbuz plays both Rosa and Olimar - they have similar zoning abilities and they fit his playstyle.
With Apex ruleset camping Dabuz is what you might as well do.
Probably is fighting the temptation due to how boring that actually is.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Earlier Top 8 were fun to watch, but the Top 4 was completely disappointing because of Dabuz's extremely boring play. I hate Diddy with all my guts, but i'd rather see Diddy win than see Rosalina win because AT LEAST Diddy can be fun to watch, Rosalina is not.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Anyone think the meta will be off that vicodin after this or we people still be sleeping on lots of characters?
I'm sure interest in Pac-Man, Greninja, Duck Hunt, and Olimar will pick up after tonight. Luigi too but I think he was already being seen favorably?

Re: Rosalina, I'm not getting why everyone thinks she's boring to watch but I'm biased as hell because I use her. The matches vs. Abadango were particularly interesting because AFAIK that matchup is untreaded ground at this level. Regardless, Dabuz is simply playing to her strengths, a little class wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
2 stocked, Zero wins apex 2015. His Diddy just smashed Dabuz's Olimar camping lol.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Zero counters everything. Really, it's just that he's the best player and he plays a character that won't lose unless he gets outplayed.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I'm sure interest in Pac-Man, Greninja, Duck Hunt, and Olimar will pick up after tonight. Luigi too but I think he was already being seen favorably?

Re: Rosalina, I'm not getting why everyone thinks she's boring to watch but I'm biased as hell because I use her. The matches vs. Abadango were particularly interesting because AFAIK that matchup is untreaded ground at this level. Regardless, Dabuz is simply playing to her strengths, a little class wouldn't hurt.
Probably just not conducive to spectating, like how lots of MMA fans detest prolonged grappling in a match.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Warning Received
Good for Zero. Players like Dabuz didn't even deserve the spot he got in my opinion.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Completely expected ZeRo to win, but I wish that match was closer.

Good stuff on Dabuz getting 2nd place though.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Zero is answering the question we all asked when we saw Diddy Kong being easy to play.

What if someone picked Diddy Kong AND made reads?

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Zero's Diddy is so amazing. On another level.

If you told these people a week ago they'd be cheering for a Diddy in finals, they'd laugh. Now they decide they don't like someone's "play style" when he's just emphasizing his mains' strengths.

You know, there are other flavors besides salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom