• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Except no one really has any animosity towards Fox the same way people dislike Diddy.
I think people hate Meta Knight more than either of those put together, or at least they would if people still cared about Brawl.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I was scared of this too, but as much as we can't anticipate it, balance and gameplay patches are most likely coming. A prospect that has never been seen in Smash before. Not to mention an entirely new character.

This is all so crazy and exciting.
If all they do is touch Diddy, they're wasting their time. Plus Sakurai...
Though If Mewtwo comes out top tier Im not complaining.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Yeah you are right. :4falcon: approach options(and generally his playstyle) are very straight foward. I know that because I main :4ganondorf:
I know they play nothing alike but their base is the same. Which is why charas with a lot of trickery like :4pacman: and :4greninja: managed to go so far because opponents couldn't find answers to all of their options because they have so many.

Also, I know that :4zss: representation is going strong. I think Dakpo wins a lot of tournies with her and than there are others like Nick, Choco and Leon doing work in other tournies. Not to mention, all the Brawl Marth mains have dropped him for her.
Or pure MU familiarity/unfamiliarity. Everyone knows how to fight Captain Falcon and then someone pulls out a pocket Toon Link and everyone's like, "Oh ****. How do I fight this guy now?". This reminds me of that match between Guy and Dunnobro where Guy switched from Duck Hunt to Greninja and just took things slowly and figured out a way to fight Duck Hunt. It's also why you should never rush and fish for kills around Ganondorf whose game plan is to punish everything.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I love tricky characters like Greninja and Pac-Man exactly because they have so many different options that playing against them is pretty much all about mindgames. It's fun to trick opponents into letting their guard down and punishing them for it, I do like Greninja over Pac-Man mostly because he's faster and I do better with faster characters. Hydrant is such a fun tool though.

I do believe characters like Greninja and Pac-Man are good due to just how unpredictable they are.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
That ending for double finals was so sad yet so happy.
Random star/screensplat/instadeath kills off the top are the new random tripping. I know it's not as important and can be quite entertaining, but it still sucks for a tourney match to be decided like that.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
:4diddy: :4diddy:= :metaknight: :metaknight:
A team meta killer.

EDIT: @ deepseadiva deepseadiva
FOW lands a PKT2 and M2K dies off the top......seconds AFTER FOW was gimped by the shortened PKT2. Twas heartbreaking and confusing.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
I love tricky characters like Greninja and Pac-Man exactly because they have so many different options that playing against them is pretty much all about mindgames. It's fun to trick opponents into letting their guard down and punishing them for it, I do like Greninja over Pac-Man mostly because he's faster and I do better with faster characters. Hydrant is such a fun tool though.

I do believe characters like Greninja and Pac-Man are good due to just how unpredictable they are.
ZSS is like that. You never see her grab coming. She can pressure with her aerials and all that but you have to mind game and trick your opponent a lot.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
The games were close though, Ness and Villager just lacked the coordination Zero and M2K had. Even killed each other a little too often.

But still...in the interest of competition, FOW deserved that win, oh my god. Bend the rules a little please.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
:4diddy: :4diddy:= :metaknight: :metaknight:
A team meta killer.

EDIT: @ deepseadiva deepseadiva
FOW lands a PKT2 and M2K dies off the top......seconds AFTER FOW was gimped by the shortened PKT2. Twas heartbreaking and confusing.
The thing is it's RNG if Diddy would have died by Star KO or just a normal KO. RNG favored Star KO.

If Normal KO happened, FOW and MJG would've won.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Can they give them the win though? Smash 4 top 8 should have started already.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
ZSS is like that. You never see her grab coming. She can pressure with her aerials and all that but you have to mind game and trick your opponent a lot.
Which is why it is so satisfying when you land a grab or up-b. Seriously, I started playing with her because everything she does feels so good and rewarding.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
APEX has its stupid suicide rule, and a situation like this is just different sides of the same coin. Arghhh

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
I can see how ZSS is like that, but unlike Greninja or Pac-Man her attacks just feel pretty straight-forward for the most part, those two have quirkier moves that make them more unique and fun to play overall, at least to me

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I can see people beginning to use Greninja a little more after aMSa's performance.

Off Topic:

Am I the only one anticipating the announcement from Nintendo coming up? I'm currently watching Smash 64 right now.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
its not entirely out of the realm of possibility that mewtwo will be released if october is summer to sakurai

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Fox is the face of competitive melee. Smash in general? Not so much. I'm quite sure when people see Smash, most people will think of Falcon Punch, and that's what most players want to use.

The anime and Double Falcon Punch memes help too.
When I see smash I think of rest.

Succumb to the cuteness. You all know the Puff is the true face of Smash.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I actually hope it is. So little info on him so far it's sad.
I heard the announcement was a hoax. And then I also heard it has nothing to do with Nintendo.

So either way, not worth hyping.

Also I hear Leffen beat m2k. Idk if it was Melee or Sm4sh...

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I don't see Abadango realistically winning against Dabuz's Rosalina, even if he switches to Wario. :[

B_Cypher

Smash Rookie
If I were FOW I'd go wreck.

Anyway, how is Sm4sh singles going? ZeRo vs M2K GF confirmed?
Not happenin yet. Looks like its gonna be losers bracket first so we got a while before that match, if it even will happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom