• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Am I the only one who was super excited during all 3 Pac-Man Rosalina games? Literally 6 full minutes of action, with zero true stalling outside of spawn platform waiting on dabuz's last stock.

Y'all talking like it was a Sonic ditto.
Not as hype as ZeRo's Falcon!

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
So many opportunities where Pac Man's grab could've been used. Rosa kept doing down b, and the best way to punish baiting the down b is to grab (Pac Man can't do much else from that range to punish). But zero grabs were used.
Pac-Man's grab game... the final frontier.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Despite the Diddy dittos, I'm loving the energy from the crowd. Once people get to Zero and M2K's level I feel this can become the standard for crowd hype.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
That Falcon definitely came out of nowhere. I wish Zero still used him again, but that crowd was going nuts throughout the entire set.

NairWizard

Somewhere
mew2king vs. Zero was way better than Dabuz vs. Abadango. As boring as people find Diddy because he is overwhelming and somewhat linear, at least he goes in and makes games go quickly/intensely. Can you imagine if Pacman had a good grab, and were as effective as Diddy? Ugh. Zoning in the smash series is painful at times.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Had a feeling Dabuz would timeout abadango to win.
Rosalina so boaring.
I wasn't bored felt I understood what they were both going for, but I also think Abandango mistimed his attacks.
I was watching and saw him adapt to gravitational pull, then go for Grab, F-air and N-air follow ups. I was wondering how he was going to break through and he almost did with a grab but Dabuz jumped. He then went back into aerial chases after his item throw but I wonder what would of happened if he attempted grab pressure again. Abadango funny enough...didn't have enough time to figure out how to break through, but not for lack of trying. Dabuz was definitely repeating his defense options in Gpull with a couple mix ups and he often got punished for not doing the pull.

I thought it was mad interesting but maybe thats me.

Also that ****ing Falcon Ground bounce into knee, threw my headphones on the floor in hype. Outside of Falcon vs Diddy I rather of given Dabuz and Abadango another 2 sets and see if Abadango figured it out.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Maybe I'm just old and patient, but I really did truly love those 3 games. I'd totally play a Smash game with only zoning characters.

Also, a thought: I think most Diddy matchups are fast but "boring"; but the Diddy ditto is pretty great!

NairWizard

Somewhere
I'll agree that it was interesting/exciting.

But that's because (imo) Pacman is unexplored, and Pacman vs. Rosalina has basically never happened on stream. New territory is always interesting, especially when it's also new for the players and they're still figuring out what to do. The match was definitely exciting because of that. But if this were the norm? It'd be a far worse norm than Diddy v. Diddy, I think.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I don't know about that Solid because both of them were scouting for information as the rest of us were.
I don't require a match to be fast-paced to be viewable. My problem with Sonic camping is he's doing it for no ****ing valid reason given his options. You'll have two characters on the opposite sides of the stage doing *NOTHING* because fear of each others options, that is the most...wtf is this bull**** kind of gameplay I can't tolerate. Pac-man is a zoning character everything he's doing is purposeful and thought out. Not a "They're shielding my Spin-dash wot do...they're beating my spin-dash wot do" level of horsechit 80% of Sonics break down-to.

Meanwhile you have Abadango having his projectile game broken down and thinking of how to penetrate. Its the kind of zoning game I can appreciate on both levels, although I rather it was Mii Gunner or Megaman instead of Rosaluma who also have ways to shutdown pac-mans projectiles but I greatly enjoy their zoning games more then Rosalumas. That or Toonlink/Link.

Theres a lot of interesting zoning characters and while they may not take things in the time people want, I enjoy it if anything given the way Abadango was adapting I think it'll only end up more offensive and more strategic as that MU experience grows, not less.

PS: To all Sonic players that decide to run to one side of the stage to do nothing when you are playing the fastest character in the flipping game, with fully capable frame data, and no horizontal projectile game. Your decisions make no sense to me, given the distance increase you create doing so only *increases* the window of time your opposition has to react, which guess what they really don't have against Sonic in Mid-range because Sonic is so fast. Stahp. Falcon, Mac, Speed Shulk? Some Top 4 characters in the game for speed, just like Sonic they have no horizontal projectile, none of us do that, because there is no reason to and Shulk has the weakest frame data of them all.

Last edited:

RanserSSF4

Banned via Administration
NNID
RanserSSF4
I thought the Pac-Man vs Rosalina match was interesting because we've never seen the MU before. I was mad that people hated Dabuz for stalling the timer when they should realize two things:

1. Both Pac-man and Rosalina were designed to mostly be campers, which leads to point #2.
2. It's based on MU's. Zoners obviously are going to stall out.

I agree camping isn't fun to watch and it's not my favorite style of play, but I don't mind if people prefer that and it's a viable strategy!

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Am I the only one who was super excited during all 3 Pac-Man Rosalina games? Literally 6 full minutes of action, with zero true stalling outside of spawn platform waiting on dabuz's last stock.

Y'all talking like it was a Sonic ditto.
As much as would love love love to say YES SO HYPE! I will admit there is a lot of bias on my side.

One for being a Rosalina main and two because the Rosalina player was Dabuz.

Still, seeing Pac-man's game style was awesome as well as seeing Dabuz adapting to it. Probably will start to lose that feeling but we will see.

I'm certainly glad a Rosalina main is near the top. Hoping to see some more expert play by Dabuz.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
It's because smash players are used to a Melee like game where players die faster and are mostly rushing down vs anyone who would be a zoner like Rosalina or Pacman isn't in the top 8 of Melee.

People need to watch other fighters where larger viarety of playstyles happen.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Maybe I'm just old and patient, but I really did truly love those 3 games. I'd totally play a Smash game with only zoning characters.
If it means having lots of matchups as downright unfair as Rosa/Pac I'd rather not. The fact a character at the push of a button can just make another character's moveset disappear is dumb. I've played around with this matchup quite a bit and it often doesn't matter how well I play, I will often lose. Pac's primary ways of hitting Luma away are just down-b'd which means Rosalina can wall him out with her superior range or just run away.

As for grabbing Rosa, it's always a risk because of how laggy Pac's grab is and how powerful Rosalina is. You can't really pressure with Pac's grab because it's that bad and Rosalina's punishes are super strong.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I'm so salty i missed Abadango vs Dabuz, especially since it was an amazing battle from what i heard.

RobinOnDrugs

Looks like we are gonna see another Diddy vs Shiek match.

NVM It's Dabuz v. M2K.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
It's because smash players are used to a Melee like game where players die faster and are mostly rushing down vs anyone who would be a zoner like Rosalina or Pacman isn't in the top 8 of Melee.

People need to watch other fighters where larger viarety of playstyles happen.
I do agree with this. Personally, I can enjoy the battle of fundamentals between zoning characters and when it comes down to bit by bits of damage making a difference. It's why I enjoy watching Starcraft as well.

However even in Starcraft and even in Street Fighter, a lot of viewers are also displeased by slow gameplay and prefer faster matches. So it's not just the Smash series that has this problem.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Bill Trinen @trintran
What few people realize is that Rosalina's down B injures the opponent if hit by their own projectile in the vortex. Be aggressive Dabuz

Get called out

I've loved all the matches so far.

WOW GRENINJA'D

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
I wouldn't call it a problem, or say that people "need" to do anything; that's being unnecessarily condescending. You like what you like, right?

Chess is a great game, and I love playing it, but watching it being played is like watching paint dry. I'd rather watch soccer than chess any day. The same principle, but on a different level, applies to zoning in fighting games. I'd rather watch fast competition than slow competition.

Also, zoning in most fighters leads to more reward than zoning in Brawl, and also somewhat in smash 4 (though Pacman gets a lot from landing a hit).

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
I wish I can watch the stream. ZeRo seem to bring out Captain 'SHOW ME YOUR FALCON PUNCH MOVES!' Falcon.

Oh well. I'm going for a school event for 3 days anyway. I really need to watch the replays later when I get back.

*Expecting Alerts explode 3 days later*

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I do agree with this. Personally, I can enjoy the battle of fundamentals between zoning characters and when it comes down to bit by bits of damage making a difference. It's why I enjoy watching Starcraft as well.

However even in Starcraft and even in Street Fighter, a lot of viewers are also displeased by slow gameplay and prefer faster matches. So it's not just the Smash series that has this problem.
I get why, but I find it to be just scrubby.

But given how I play MOBAs and how some other games go I really gotta just say no johns. It opens up variety and game-play so I welcome it. If people hate it oh well I won't change their mind.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
The Hoo Hahs from the crowd is making this amazing. Can this always happen?
The crowd (and chat sometimes) has a surprisingly large effect on how enjoyable Melee is (and any game really). Sh...

RobinOnDrugs

And Dabuz got two-stocked by M2K.

Let's see how his Olimar fairs against M2K's Diddy.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
I get why, but I find it to be just scrubby.

But given how I play MOBAs and how some other games go I really gotta just say no johns. It opens up variety and game-play so I welcome it. If people hate it oh well I won't change their mind.
I get it to an extent, Rusaluma is probably one of the least interesting Zoning characters with default specials. Conceptually interesting for what she can do...but she's probably low on my list of most undesired MU's to fight and to spectate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom