• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
i can name alot of chars worse than zard(this is no specific order)

wft
zelda
samus
kirby
doc
mii swrd
gnw
lucina
little mac
dhd
junior

ganon
mk
falco
link

not to say these characters are bad, i just think charizard is better than they are(a character with absurd longevity, among the best punish games, and high damage/kill power simply CANT be bottom 15)
Bolded are 100% incorrect

Italicized are most likely incorrect Underlined most likely incorrect (stupid italics not showing up in a quote)

That leaves you with WFT/Zelda/Samus/Kirby/Doc/Mii Sword.

I love Charizard (he's my secondary), but he has some serious holes in his game. Thankfully most characters in SSB4 are perfectly usable.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Yoshi laughs at shields. Between being able to mix up retreating nair, crossup nair, dair, Egg Lay and even Yolo downB against shields Yoshi gets to choose between either completely crippling it or just bypass it completely. And those are just his aerial options and don't include stuff like jab, egg toss or ftilt.

:059:
The only thing you mentioned that would threatened breaking a shield is dair but dair is not nearly as safe to use as his other moves. His command grab is better at getting through shields but you can't dash grab with it which makes it a lot worse off . Also I forgot down b but that move is also not as safe either.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
Charizard does have kinda terrible aerials though outside of N-air. Also his recovery is mostly just average.

I would argue Falco, Duck Hunt, and Bowser Jr. being explicitly better than Charizard. The others give or take are similarly ranked, with a few being slightly worse.
?terrible aerials? uair is a great juggling tool, fair is a phenomenal edgeguarding tool, bair is a strong kill move, and dair is just ****. and he has multiple jumps, super armor on up b, and phenomenal horizontal recovery.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
?terrible aerials? uair is a great juggling tool, fair is a phenomenal edgeguarding tool, bair is a strong kill move, and dair is just ****. and he has multiple jumps, super armor on up b, and phenomenal horizontal recovery.
The problem with those aerials is that none of them are really useful in a neutral or negative state. Sure Charizard is good when he has the advantage, but his tools to get into an advantageous state are unreliable. His approach options are all pretty unsafe, and it can be really tough to land hits on characters like Pika and Sheik without making hard reads.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The basic jist is, Charizard doesn't actually have really great options to space with in the air. Once you space around his N-air and Firebreath, he doesn't really get that much else to hit you with when you're in the air. F-air has lousy range for Charizard's overall size, and his B-air is harder to hit than Zelda kicks. His aerials do help him capitalize, sure. But they're poor for spacing.

And like it's been mentioned, when he's being juggled, his aerials don't really help him. He just has Flare Blitz and Rock Smash to get out of trouble, but that's it really.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
What does the 3DS have to do with it?
Unless my circle pad is wearing out which it shouldn't since I'm not mashing the poor thing, sometimes movement with faster characters feels jerky and uncontrolled especially when lag is involved.

Edit: I would like to mention that while Mega Man is a newcomer, he's been doing short hop pellets since his first game. So, Mega Man's doing it old school while Falco copied him in Melee and Brawl. Maybe Falco stopped 'cause was afraid of messing with the OG. :p

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Gonna have to show people Wario is a "threat" the amount of people who sleep on this character is beyond me. Hidden high tier. Im glad Gluttony isn't from the US he's quietly destroying every one.
I'm very glad you got to change your mind on Wario no one stops the WAAAAH

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Fox is super UNSAFE. Are we talking about the same character? That's one of the main reasons Yoshi is better than Fox. He has to take far less risks in neutral. Fox only has f-tilt and spaced bair as safe pokes.
How unsafe, though? Due to his lack of a proper shieldgrab, Yoshi can't punish a lot of attacks other characters might be able to. I feel like Fox is at least safe enough to pressure Yoshi without worrying too much about serious retaliation, at worst he might eat grabs or jabs and neither is seriously damaging. Note that even if Yoshi is technically slightly safer than Fox on some of his moves (though I actually don't think he really is), Fox DOES have a standard grab so he can punish more easily, and his grab followups are a little better too.

Not a bad list, but I think Zelda's worse than Doc, who's worse than Zard/Kirby/Ganon, and I can't comment on Swordfighter since I know nothing about him. Zard/Kirby/Ganon I would consider largely indistinguishable from other characters generally considered to be subpar, but I think Zelda and Doc inhabit a tier below them due to their lack of major strengths to compensate for their generic low tier weaknesses. I don't know enough about Swordfighter or WFT to decide if they belong in this category, but they'd probably be candidates.
Zelda's definitely also down there but I would put her at 6th worst personally. I feel like of the bad characters, she's the one who might have some room to grow, thanks to pivot grab trickery, teleport ledge cancels, and other weird tech.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Zelda rant time.

Or rather, not so much about Zelda herself, but rather
the general attitude directed towards her.

I'm not going to try and argue that she's a good character.
I personally think she's better than most people give her
credit for (not by that much, but not unusable like some may
lead you to believe), but I know I probably won't change
anyone's opinions of her here.

But what I think what can be agreed on by most
about her is that she is one of the most difficult characters
to play effectively. And while I understand the negative effect
this has on a character's viability, this difficulty can also
make her extremely rewarding to play. Unfortunately, almost
no one I see here seems to feel this way about her. Why?

I can see a few reasons. One, Zelda is seen as a serious
character and so is expected to have good fighting potential,
which leaves people disappointed when they play her and
see how hard it is to use her well. Silly characters like
Dan Hibiki of the Street Fighter series, or Jigglypuff in 64, or
even Mr. Game & Watch in Melee, don't trigger the same disappointment
as they aren't made out to be huge threats, so people don't
expect to steamroll opposition with them without serious effort.

Two, Zelda has been historically bad in all Smash games
(fan projects notwithstanding), leading to the hope that
things would be different in this game. Seeing now
that this mostly isn't the case, people become disillusioned
and don't bother trying to learn new tactics with her.

Essentially, Zelda has the trappings of a "joke" character
but isn't played up to be one, leading to people feeling
ripped off by her abilities. Ask yourselves, if Zelda was
presented as a goofy character, would you be nearly as mad
with how bad she was? Do you not feel extremely satisfied
when you win with Zelda?

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Nothing Fox does is safer than what Yoshi does, neither against Shield nor against Roll. Fox usmash is more powerful but much more impractical because it has a pretty small hitbox with a tiny sweetspot whereas Yoshi's usmash has a ridiculous hitbox that always hits hard.

:059:
I'm pretty sure Yoshi has one single safe move on shield and that's his fair. Nair certainly isn't safe because of its lingering hitbox, and to be able to do a retreating nair on shield you have to commit by running up-close first. Dair might be safe on shield but it's extremely risky to throw out in case the opponent baits it. Bair isn't safe.

Yoshi's neutral is basically eggs. His combo game, frame traps and disadvantage are just really good.

Last edited:

Minordeth

Smash Ace
How does her high mobility balance out Sheik's learning curve? If anything, that makes her even easier to learn.
That's the point, actually. Sheik's kit is built on strings and mix-ups of weaker individual moves. String together a throw into a few Fairs and you have something potent, for instance. But to get to that point, you have to actually practice those things against real people. New Sheik players will mess up those strings, but Sheik's improved recovery and high mobility ensure that she can escape punishment and return to neutral. It's a positive feedback loop for something that encourages the practice of a rather technical character.

Now picture a new Robin player. You miss that SH El-fire? Enjoy the people's fist. :4falcon:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
How unsafe, though? Due to his lack of a proper shieldgrab, Yoshi can't punish a lot of attacks other characters might be able to. I feel like Fox is at least safe enough to pressure Yoshi without worrying too much about serious retaliation, at worst he might eat grabs or jabs and neither is seriously damaging. Note that even if Yoshi is technically slightly safer than Fox on some of his moves (though I actually don't think he really is), Fox DOES have a standard grab so he can punish more easily, and his grab followups are a little better too.
Both of them have pretty terrible grab followups, to be honest. I'd say it's less of a problem for Yoshi who doesn't rely as much on his standard grab for establishing his strategy though, while in Fox's case, even though he has several strong KO moves, he lacks a really easy way to set up any of them. Yoshi's Egg landing traps are really safe and help him keep people in positions where his U-smash and U-air can be landed, or where he can edgeguard someone to death potentially. Fox only has a slightly above average Jab cancel that doesn't work on everyone, or otherwise relies on generic U-air -> U-smash frame traps that aren't always easy to position. Fox also generally has less favorable physics and aerials for edgeguarding.

Neutral I agree his standard grab is a big benefit. But the way I see it, he does suffer noticeably more than Yoshi in terms of finding good KO opportunities, on top of being a more fragile character overall.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I think we need to stop talking about safety in Smash as though it's a static concept. This isn't Street Fighter IV where 50% of the cast has three frame low short and thus anything that is -3 or less is considered "unsafe". In Smash, the fastest punish option across the cast varies quite a lot, as does the applicable range that can be punished, so different moves can be safe against different characters. Of course, if the opponent powershields or spot dodges, almost anything can be punished, and freshness also plays a role in safety, so it really is something you have to look at on a case by case basis.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I think we need to stop talking about safety in Smash as though it's a static concept. This isn't Street Fighter IV where 50% of the cast has three frame low short and thus anything that is -3 or less is considered "unsafe". In Smash, the fastest punish option across the cast varies quite a lot, as does the applicable range that can be punished, so different moves can be safe against different characters. Of course, if the opponent powershields or spot dodges, almost anything can be punished, and freshness also plays a role in safety, so it really is something you have to look at on a case by case basis.
You're not wrong. And beyond the normal sort of speed/range variance, we have characters like Rosalina who can make a lot of things unsafe (even on hit) with proper application of Luma, or Shulk who can make almost any of his own attacks safe with Buster.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's the point, actually. Sheik's kit is built on strings and mix-ups of weaker individual moves. String together a throw into a few Fairs and you have something potent, for instance. But to get to that point, you have to actually practice those things against real people. New Sheik players will mess up those strings, but Sheik's improved recovery and high mobility ensure that she can escape punishment and return to neutral. It's a positive feedback loop for something that encourages the practice of a rather technical character.

Now picture a new Robin player. You miss that SH El-fire? Enjoy the people's fist. :4falcon:
More like Sheik is a low risk, low reward character. Robin, in comparison, has higher risk and rewards.
Unless my circle pad is wearing out which it shouldn't since I'm not mashing the poor thing, sometimes movement with faster characters feels jerky and uncontrolled especially when lag is involved.
Don't be taking lag into consideration. That is the last thing you take into account with balance.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'm getting to play Sky a lot, he may be the best Yoshi in NA atm (or at least on west coast, I'm not aware of many people playing him).

Down air is rarely that unsafe on shield, and it completely destroys one, any poor attempts to escape (roll/etc) can net you a nice 15-25% and can shield poke (has to be respected once it's out). It auto cancels about 10 frames after the final hitbox (I think?) and can cross over reliably.

More like Sheik is a low risk, low reward character. Robin, in comparison, has higher risk and rewards.
Are 40%ish strings and her edge guarding capabilities low reward?

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
I'm getting to play Sky a lot, he may be the best Yoshi in NA atm (or at least on west coast, I'm not aware of many people playing him).

Down air is rarely that unsafe on shield, and it completely destroys one, any poor attempts to escape (roll/etc) can net you a nice 15-25% and can shield poke (has to be respected once it's out). It auto cancels about 10 frames after the final hitbox (I think?) and can cross over reliably.

Sheik will rarely get a 40% string on a good player. She will have to hit him with like ten attacks

Minordeth

Smash Ace
I don't think the breakdown is that neat.

This is primarily why. Sheik has high rewards for relatively low risk. Again, she has safe options, probably one of the top 3 projectiles in the game, and high mobility. To get to that 40% string point requires some practice, but those rewards are more easily reapable than with Robin. Robin requires just as much practice, but more conscientiousness in play, due to the mobility deficit. She also has high rewards, but they come with more caveats.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Sheik will rarely get a 40% string on a good player. She will have to hit him with like ten attacks
Wait, I think I have ecountered a Sheik that does F-air -> FF-> Dash -> F-air repeat. I think it has the potential for 40% string.... or it isn't? It was pre-patch, so I dunno if that is still applicable to this patch.

Miraculiously, I won against that player, and that was when I'm just a scrubby player. Seriously, he has great combos, but he has almost no idea what her kill moves are outside of smashes. He got me to around 200%-ish when he took my first stock. And that when I got him to 100% second stock.

Yeah, that was story time.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Sheik will rarely get a 40% string on a good player.
Oh. Okay. *cough*Denial*cough* ;)

Fair repeat into rar bair can be in and around 30-40%, can work for a long time and there's various other 'intos' for it (such as ftilt, nair, etc), at more specific percent or on sour spot bairs you combo into bouncing fish, potentially doing even higher amounts, especially if it's off stage.

"ZeRo's Combo Video" only, right?
I mean, just staple sheik crap :<

Fortunately I believe not every character is in the sweetspot weight/etc where they get reliably combo'd by this.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Don't be taking lag into consideration. That is the last thing you take into account with balance.
Nah, the jerky movements just gets amplified with lag, otherwise, it's just the circle pad being the circle pad.

Wait, I think I have ecountered a Sheik that does F-air -> FF-> Dash -> F-air repeat. I think it has the potential for 40% string.... or it isn't? It was pre-patch, so I dunno if that is still applicable to this patch.

Miraculiously, I won against that player, and that was when I'm just a scrubby player. Seriously, he has great combos, but he has almost no idea what her kill moves are outside of smashes. He got me to around 200%-ish when he took my first stock. And that when I got him to 100% second stock.

Yeah, that was story time.
Oh look, this reminds me of Ness's (optional, but safe start) PK Fire, grab, throw, Fair, Fair, Fair, and repeat except Sheik's is less annoying. Seriously, it's like every Ness knows this combo and it looks ridiculously easy to pull of in comparison to every other combos including Sheik's Fair repeat combo.

It's even more annoying then PKT2 spamming, but that's because it's easy to punish.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If she's getting that much off of you, I'm more inclined to say it's more poor DI usage than Sheik. As for edgeguarding, I'll reiterate. I don't find Sheik super threatening (as to be a cause for concern) with edgeguarding.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Oh look, this reminds me of Ness's (optional, but safe start) PK Fire, grab, throw, Fair, Fair, Fair, and repeat except Sheik's is less annoying. Seriously, it's like every Ness knows this combo and it looks ridiculously easy to pull of in comparison to every other combos including Sheik's Fair repeat combo.

It's even more annoying then PKT2 spamming, but that's because it's easy to punish.
Segwaaayyy

I'm having trouble saying Ness is a top character. PK fire isn't a fast projectile and it's quite easy to SH over and punish once you get used to it. Is NAir, FAir, PKT, and BThrow enough to keep this character in the top? His up-B recovery gets trashed by a lot of characters (most notably Rosalina). And his double jump is great, but it's no Yoshi or jump shulk DJ.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Anyway.

Game & Watch Meta.

G&W's up smash has invincibility from frame 4 behind his head. This is important.
Pivoting into reverse up smash, or just in general ensuring you're facing back against an opponent gives you a realllllllllly broken tool which only very low hitting moves (some dtilts) get through. I was playing with a Socal player @Eternal phoenix Fire (Zenas) and he was doing such trickery with Fox (he slides gracefully, and the sweet spot on usmash even hits from behind him, quite spooky) and after having him jab my shield from behind 1-2 as a shield trap, I just IDGAF'd an up smash OoS and then the notion hit me. pivot usmash during a dash or turn around shield (to face backwards) for reliably beating horizontal options as well.

G&W has a move that gives him practical entire body invincibility from frame 4, that can be done out of shield, and has short enough cool down that on shield-hit the move is safe (people get jabbed on most aggression attempts).

I also realised that I forgot you could side-b out of a dash and this hits low to the ground. Oh, when people don't tech dash attacks you can dash side-b for a similar reward at worse (although not as practical without precision) or something that can net you a lot of damage/kill (8 freezes, 6 electrocutes, most weak hits don't send very far at all, maintaining positional advantage).
Also as many people know, there's the whole down throw-> side-b combo which is guaranteed at low enough percent and will kill most above 10-15%.
I had really forgone it for a while although I knew it was real, but the 10-15% kill part wasn't really "there". I opted for nairs at low percent out of dthrow but at very low percent that actually doesn't work (lol), sometimes up smash is the same. But yeah, down throw -> side b into regrab on weaker hits is kinda-real and the reward is worth the attempt.

G&W for cheesy 0-20% hyper danger zone game against everyone, hooray. Unfortunately starting matches with this on a semi-consistent basis and still sometimes losing goes to show the G&W struggle :p

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Segwaaayyy

I'm having trouble saying Ness is a top character. PK fire isn't a fast projectile and it's quite easy to SH over and punish once you get used to it. Is NAir, FAir, PKT, and BThrow enough to keep this character in the top? His up-B recovery gets trashed by a lot of characters (most notably Rosalina). And his double jump is great, but it's no Yoshi or jump shulk DJ.
Yeah, I feel like Ness is a good character and can hold his own against everyone, butbut he has glaring weaknesses, especially against characters who can go deep off stage, outzone, and outpace him.

(Dark) Pit should be able to go toe to toe with Ness easily. Falco's Dair absolutely destroys his recovery since PKT2 is slow, his Reflector can just leave him helpless off stage, or Falco can constantly harass him off-stage with Fairs or just kill him with a Bair. I believe Palutena's Reflect Barrier just gimps his recovery entirely and her mobility might pose a problem. As for Pally's ground game, I don't really know. Mega Man would be fine against Ness too.

BBC7

Smash Ace
Anyway.

Game & Watch Meta.

G&W's up smash has invincibility from frame 4 behind his head. This is important.
Pivoting into reverse up smash, or just in general ensuring you're facing back against an opponent gives you a realllllllllly broken tool which only very low hitting moves (some dtilts) get through. I was playing with a Socal player @Eternal phoenix Fire (Zenas) and he was doing such trickery with Fox (he slides gracefully, and the sweet spot on usmash even hits from behind him, quite spooky) and after having him jab my shield from behind 1-2 as a shield trap, I just IDGAF'd an up smash OoS and then the notion hit me. pivot usmash during a dash or turn around shield (to face backwards) for reliably beating horizontal options as well.

G&W has a move that gives him practical entire body invincibility from frame 4, that can be done out of shield, and has short enough cool down that on shield-hit the move is safe (people get jabbed on most aggression attempts).

I also realised that I forgot you could side-b out of a dash and this hits low to the ground. Oh, when people don't tech dash attacks you can dash side-b for a similar reward at worse (although not as practical without precision) or something that can net you a lot of damage/kill (8 freezes, 6 electrocutes, most weak hits don't send very far at all, maintaining positional advantage).
Also as many people know, there's the whole down throw-> side-b combo which is guaranteed at low enough percent and will kill most above 10-15%.
I had really forgone it for a while although I knew it was real, but the 10-15% kill part wasn't really "there". I opted for nairs at low percent out of dthrow but at very low percent that actually doesn't work (lol), sometimes up smash is the same. But yeah, down throw -> side b into regrab on weaker hits is kinda-real and the reward is worth the attempt.

G&W for cheesy 0-20% hyper danger zone game against everyone, hooray. Unfortunately starting matches with this on a semi-consistent basis and still sometimes losing goes to show the G&W struggle :p
Yeah, I realized that he's not as bad as I said he was when I was salty. Down-Throw to Side B isn't guaranteed on that many characters, it's jumpable. I know for a fact that it's guaranteed on Fox from 29%-49% and Falco from 30%-39%, and there are likely other characters where it is guaranteed as well.

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Oh. Okay. *cough*Denial*cough* ;)

Fair repeat into rar bair can be in and around 30-40%, can work for a long time and there's various other 'intos' for it (such as ftilt, nair, etc), at more specific percent or on sour spot bairs you combo into bouncing fish, potentially doing even higher amounts, especially if it's off stage.

"ZeRo's Combo Video" only, right?
I mean, just staple sheik crap :<

Fortunately I believe not every character is in the sweetspot weight/etc where they get reliably combo'd by this.
No denial, just pretty sure a 40% combo is definitly DIable for a lot of characters.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Any tournament Wario gameplay? Failing to see what makes him top 10-15, but I realise he's solid.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Yeah, I feel like Ness is a good character and can hold his own against everyone, butbut he has glaring weaknesses, especially against characters who can go deep off stage, outzone, and outpace him.

(Dark) Pit should be able to go toe to toe with Ness easily. Falco's Dair absolutely destroys his recovery since PKT2 is slow, his Reflector can just leave him helpless off stage, or Falco can constantly harass him off-stage with Fairs or just kill him with a Bair. I believe Palutena's Reflect Barrier just gimps his recovery entirely and her mobility might pose a problem. As for Pally's ground game, I don't really know. Mega Man would be fine against Ness too.
Mega Man's Leaf Shield is hilariously effective for gimping Ness.

Also Captain Falcon and Ganon.

Also any Yoshis dumb enough to try to recover low against MM.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
No denial, just pretty sure a 40% combo is definitly DIable for a lot of characters.
Not if it's from Kirby's uptilt!
Kirby actually has nice matchups against most of the characters that have been making "top ten" lists in the past couple pages, maybe he's actually GOD TIER and everyone's calling him bottom five because they don't EVEN KNOW.
I know for sure he has bad matchups against Sonic and Yoshi, but the rest are all pretty even, or at least manageable.
And with customs, oh man.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Luigi's 2 chaingrabs say hello.

Seriously, I like on seeing Nesses spamming PK Fire and actually hope on me running to it, only to get a lesson that their F-air combos is nothing against F-air chaingrab. Ness' F-air combo isn't even a true combo from what I saw, airdodged it too many times.

One thing that I wonder, how did he got to 'Top 10' character anyway?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It isn't fair to assume that EU's top level isn't on the same level as NA's. But yeah that video didn't really go to show us anything other than gluttony (a great brawl player) beating people.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
It isn't fair to assume that EU's top level isn't on the same level as NA's. But yeah that video didn't really go to show us anything other than gluttony (a great brawl player) beating people.
Yeah that's what I mean :)

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Well I'm going to say it again, Wario's kit is that of a jack of all trades. Nothing too amazing, but he has everything he could possibly want. I think he's suffering from middle man syndrome (I'm pretty sure its not called that) where he lacks any specific thing that makes people go "OMG so OP" like say Diddy's That One Move, Mario's WOMBO COMBO, Sheik's way-too-many-things-to-list. Seriously though Wario only lacks projectiles and he makes up for it with his mobility in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom