• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changing Your Mindset

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
How do you guys do it? I tell myself all the time when I'm about to sit down:
"Ok, this session you're not going to run around doing nairs all the time and be super aggro"
But then 2 matches in I'm already nairing uncontrollably because I forget and go back to super aggro mode.

I'm running out of ideas, I'm seriously about to tape a notecard at the bottom of the TV that says "Patience, *******". Do you guys have any other suggestions, because thats obviously not going to fly at tourneys.

Kanelol

Smash Lord
I think it's not about making one huge change in 5 minutes. It's about small changes that eventually lead to a whole new mindset. Try focusing on just one really small thing you'd like to change about your gameplay or mindset and just start there.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
All you need to do is knee dem ***gas.
tis true, but the question is how to set-up for dem knees

I think it's not about making one huge change in 5 minutes. It's about small changes that eventually lead to a whole new mindset. Try focusing on just one really small thing you'd like to change about your gameplay or mindset and just start there.
I know, thats what I try to do for the most part, stop flailing around the stage like an idiot, but I still do. :(

JPOBS

Smash Hero
like someone else said, its not about making one huge chaning, its about making tiny little changes unti lthe culminate into a digievolution.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
You need to have specific things that you want to focus on during a match. You can't just say "I need to be more aggressive," because being aggressive is only good when you do it right. So instead, work on specific types of aggression. Tech chasing, for example, is a good place to start with Falcon. Work on getting grabs, then d-throw/u-throw and follow up. If they neutral tech, knee. If they tech behind you, stomp or regrab. If they roll away, either chase with a grab, knee, or stomp. Or keep regrabbing them until you get a feel for their tech pattern and follow with a knee. Once you've tech-chased them with something that gets them off the edge, edgeguard. Bam, you just took a stock off.

I've also found that switching colors is really helpful. If you normally play just one color, switch your color constantly. I've found that color really affects my mindset. If I'm just playing black Falcon, which is what I always use, I stop paying attention to everything that's going on. But if I start changing to different colors, it forces me to think a little more. And by paying more attention to what I'm doing, I'm also seeing what patterns I fall into and what I can improve. I recently started approaching with d-air a lot more and tech-chasing out of it. It works really well. Or tech-chasing with d-air. I also realized that I can abuse Falcon's up-throw chaingrab on spacies a lot more than I have been, and keep it going until death as long as platforms don't get in the way. Just start experimenting. There's no 100% surefire way to change your mindset.

However, I do think that who you are as a person greatly affects how you play. When I first started out, I'd win matches simply because I was overly aggressive. I'd two stock players that were leagues better than me the first time we played simply because I never gave them room to breathe. After a few matches, they'd catch up and would start beasting me. But think about it: In a tournament, I would have won. What was the difference? Attitude. Since I've changed to be a lot more patient and have lost a lot of that aggression. It ends up in me making a lot more intelligent decisions, but also being a lot more conservative which ends in many missed opportunities. There's a balance between the two mindsets that you need to find, and I'm still finding my own, but I'm always surprised at how Smash gives you a look into your own personality.

Spife

Smash Master
get a mantra and repeat it out loud durring friendlies. Try and find a crew mate or a friend who's willing to to focus on aspects of your game rather then just playing too. Some times you really need to take it slow and deconstruct the game, rather then just sit there and try to force a change.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
While we are giving out mindset advice I have a problem that causes me to lose more than picking pichu, If I win as pichu I normally get nervous and want to switch to be safe, so I go marth and lose really bad even if I train as much as marth as I do pichu. my marth is pretty fail or I may switch to some other top tier and lose. I mean when i'm losing as pichu I learn and can easily come back compared to anyone esle I play as.

I feel safer approaching with pichu than I do as falco many times.

But yeah I have more faith in myself when losing than when winning.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Aggressiveness is not the enemy. In boxing they refer to it as effective aggression. All the best Falcons right now have that Aggressive Falcon RAGE!!!! Scar, SS, Darkrain, Hax...all of em got it. The thing is you just have to be intelligent while still maintaining your intensity.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
hes not asking how to play falcon guys, hes asking how to develop a less automatic styleplay friendlies and stuff trying to do absurdly specific stuff

try to set up ridiculous combos and bait them into them

it wont work very well, you might not win as much, but it will get you really looking at the opponent and thinking about what theyre doing, and adjusting your play to counter it

proverbs is right about aggression working to your advantage in a lot of situations as well; its what scares people into becoming vulnerable. simply camping doesnt work well enough against anyone who has seen it a few times, especially with falcon. in the words of the wise g-reg, "be defensive but look aggressive". run around, jump on platforms, nair way through their shield or something, just see what they do when you get close to approaching.

basically im saying, do exactly what everyone wants to do with falcon: try to do amazing combos. the catch is that it works a lot better to actually specifically try to set up these combos than it does to just nair around and wait for them to happen. after doing this for a while, you'll find you are much more capable of adjusting your play to fit varied situations when you start trying to set up more simple things like grabs in serious matches.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Falcon punch, thats your solution right there.

I kinda have my own problem too. I also don't change off doc because I'm afraid that I'll just be adding on experience to a char I don't use, so I stick to Doc. I mean, I like Icies, and shiek. Well, I'll just use shiek cuz she is a bit higher in the tier, but thats it. I play Doc and Icies (Icies RARELY cuz I suck at em) because I like them.

Also I am kinda wreckless at times, but I mean I do things not caring about the consequences. Usually it would equal some gain but at higher levels it prolly doesn't. haha.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
try using a diff character for two weeks or something

preferrably a slower one who can't be aggressive very well, such as marth, sheik, jiggs, samus, or probably anyone mid tier and below other than pikachu.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
hes not asking how to play falcon guys, hes asking how to develop a less automatic styleplay friendlies and stuff trying to do absurdly specific stuff

try to set up ridiculous combos and bait them into them

it wont work very well, you might not win as much, but it will get you really looking at the opponent and thinking about what theyre doing, and adjusting your play to counter it

proverbs is right about aggression working to your advantage in a lot of situations as well; its what scares people into becoming vulnerable. simply camping doesnt work well enough against anyone who has seen it a few times, especially with falcon. in the words of the wise g-reg, "be defensive but look aggressive". run around, jump on platforms, nair way through their shield or something, just see what they do when you get close to approaching.

basically im saying, do exactly what everyone wants to do with falcon: try to do amazing combos. the catch is that it works a lot better to actually specifically try to set up these combos than it does to just nair around and wait for them to happen. after doing this for a while, you'll find you are much more capable of adjusting your play to fit varied situations when you start trying to set up more simple things like grabs in serious matches.
thank you Big D for realizing what I was asking, and what you're suggesting sounds like a great idea, I'm going to make an effort to do this now, its easier to remember than stop nairing. i just have to think "Do **** Comboes"

try using a diff character for two weeks or something

preferrably a slower one who can't be aggressive very well, such as marth, sheik, jiggs, samus, or probably anyone mid tier and below other than pikachu.
I "2nd" Marth and have done the whole, not play falcon several times, it usually make small improvments in my game, but not the calming down uber aggro. Its really odd though,
My Marth does some very wierd stuff, like I completely forget how to DI when I'm playing Marth. I die at like 90% with Marth (I know hes lighter so gets knocked farther) but I will survive like the same situation until like 150% with falcon, just an example of how drastically different my characters are.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Maybe I should try the opposite. I should start putting on RAGE tags. I'm not aggressive enough lots of times. I find myself getting caught in between thoughts or simply playing mindlessly in order to keep my nerves down. It isn't working for me anymore. Friend of mine has been in NJ for over a month playing with some NJ smashers...now he's good suddenly and can beat me 50/50. It's not even really that he's improved as much as it is him catching me being too calm. Most of the time when I play mindlessly I do this in repetition *Attack run away, attack, dash-dance, grab-attempt(if successful then follow up)(unsuccessful, Run away) dash-dance, Start over* I use to get away with doing this because he never figured it out in those days.:chuckle:. I guess I should be thankful. Him getting better forces me to have to do the right things now... I'm just so use to playing at B level against him that when I play A level against him I **** up. It reminds me of when I went to my first major tournament...being Rom2. I played like crap pretty much until Day 2 :laugh:.....this is a mindless 1:05 AM rant. Basically I think I need to find a mind-state that is Serious without being robotic.....any ideas?

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
dont just think "do **** combos"

pick one out, try to set up situations when you'll get to dropzone or uthrow dtilt knee or something really specific

the more specific it is, the more you'll think about what you're actually doing and avoid doing things that dont pertain to what you want to do

Tyson651

Smash Lord
every time u die, sit on ur angelic for a few seconds and tell ur self to not be aggro, and re-assess the situation briefly.

then when u're done, drop down and play.

j00t

Smash Champion
I <3 reverse upair -> stomp -> knee combos

very impractical to attempt but you just feel so satisfied afterwards~

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
^ So good.

dont just think "do **** combos"

pick one out, try to set up situations when you'll get to dropzone or uthrow dtilt knee or something really specific

the more specific it is, the more you'll think about what you're actually doing and avoid doing things that dont pertain to what you want to do
true the more specific i get, the more likely I am to remember it.

Top Bottom