• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching!!! ROY!! .PAC UP!!!! 12/7/09 at 3:36 AM EST

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Camelot, is there any way you could make the fire animation for Roy's FS slower?

It disappears too quickly for me to appreciate the awesome. :(

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
you mean.... kinda like how ike goes forward from his forward b.... even though realistically he should be going at the same speed as he would be from holding forward?
That's taken directly from the fire emblem game <_<. Quick Draw is Ike's critical animation.

Not to mention that the move at least has an animation to match (it even makes a ****in' trail behind it). Flare Blade is Roy slaming his sword in an arc motion and EXPLODING, and you want him to lunge forward?

It really just looks very tacky despite it's potential usefulness in game. You'd actually get MORE usefulness from a side B that gives a hop however (provided it doesn't halt his horizontal momentum or something) as it would actually give you more horizontal displacement overall.

You drift forward (during the time where you'd be charging neutral B), use side B to hop (while moving forward and also reseting your fall speed so you have to accelerate again, allowing you to cover even more distance), all while preserving your second jump. It also blosters his vertical recovery a little and doesn't look half done :p

You say that moves don't have to make sense. This is partially true, however it helps if the move LOOKS like it was specifically designed that way. Ike's side B travels various distances based on the amount of charge, has a trail that travels behind it when released, and even has his cape blowing while he's charging it. Roy's charge animation is probably not going to remain the shieldbreaker charge animation, and there's nothing about the move that even SUGGESTS that it MIGHT give some kind of momentum.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
if it'd help his recovery more than currently then i'm fine w/ it.
also, no one does fully charged shieldbreakers. <_< they do normal ones for momentum... a slash w/ forward momentum doesn't look too awkward imo.

camelot

Smash Ace
Hey, I switched Flare Blade's animation back to the 3rd up hit of DED. Mostly because the animation looks so much better transitioning from the charge, and there's both a ground and aerial animation. It doesn't arc as much, so I messed with the hitboxes so it's easier to hit with. It's still a little bit harder to hit with than the f-smash animation, though. Hope this is OK.

Also, how do you like the Final Smash?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't know if anyone wants to give it a shot (if no one does, I probably will, once I figure it out), but I ripped the Roy Character Select Portraits from Melee. They're in .tga format, the only thing that would be needed is to make the background magenta and run it through a CSP tool. Would be ****. Black Marth would be the only color not accounted for, due to Marth having 6 colors and Roy only having 5 (and I personally feel that Gold/Yellow Roy should replace White Marth). Here it is:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5dtmiztkqyg

NxtGenFalco93

Smash Apprentice
Can some one explain what I do with the pac file?
(assuming you have the latest nightly build of brawl+) you need to put in the folder private/wii/app/rsbe/pf/fighter/marth (on your sd card of corse) and name it fitmarth.pac and it should change his moveset.

and i just (finally) got marth to be playable today (thanks again to the 2 people who help figure out what was wron) and i noticed 2 things;
1: at one point in one of my matches i was dashing, stopped for like a half second and dashed again, but during the second dash, it was the dash animation but he was moving at walking pace. it only happened once so i don't know if its a real problem or just a tiny glitch out.
and 2: i could esily win matches with roy using his neutral b. this is because if i charged it long enough the comps always just started to walk into it. thats a bigger problem for me than most though cuz i play cpus alot more than other people.

but other than that 2 thumbs up on what will be a great new charecter.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
(assuming you have the latest nightly build of brawl+) you need to put in the folder private/wii/app/rsbe/pf/fighter/marth (on your sd card of corse) and name it fitmarth.pac and it should change his moveset.

and i just (finally) got marth to be playable today (thanks again to the 2 people who help figure out what was wron) and i noticed 2 things;
1: at one point in one of my matches i was dashing, stopped for like a half second and dashed again, but during the second dash, it was the dash animation but he was moving at walking pace. it only happened once so i don't know if its a real problem or just a tiny glitch out.
and 2: i could esily win matches with roy using his neutral b. this is because if i charged it long enough the comps always just started to walk into it. thats a bigger problem for me than most though cuz i play cpus alot more than other people.

but other than that 2 thumbs up on what will be a great new charecter.

I'm getting the dash that's walk speed problem as well. And I'm getting it consistently. it always happens when you dash right after a dash.

EDIT: after running for a while, the run speed seems to gradually return to normal.

Ryo242

Smash Ace
I'd love to see some videos of this (Currently watching what Rykosket has put up), to see his current progress. Final Smash looks awesome, but all I've seen is a picture...

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, new guy here.

First off, kudos to the triumvirate--GoG, tsunami, and camelot--for collaborating and combining their Roys. With the release of PSA, this project has advanced quickly and is nearing completion. Also, good job to all of the other testers for providing useful insight, etc.

Roy is pretty ridiculous in Brawl+, lol. He is fast as hell and his moves are deadlier than ever. However, there are some issues that need to be addressed still. The major thing that I wanted to say was that in melee, it wasn't so much that Roy was a heavyweight. Rather, it was his sword that felt heavy. That was what made him truly unique, and right now, I feel as if that aspect of his gameplay is missing in Brawl+. Perhaps it just has to do with the sword sfxs being kinda lackluster. I suppose once those are changed into something that sounds stronger/meatier (or if more end lag is added to Roy's moves) this problem will be resolved.

I agree with Dark Sonic's idea that the momentum should be removed from Roy's neutral b. As he said, that strange forward boost looks poorly designed and it just feels awkward. I also agree that a slight vertical boost should be applied to Roy's forward b in the air, just how it was in melee.

I've been testing out this .pac and I really, really like the way camelot used the fsmash animation for neutral b. I think it would be best if the animation was kept this way instead of using the animation from the 3rd hit of DED. As timothyung said, accuracy>looks.

Finally, this is kind of minor, but can Roy's idle animations be changed? I think we can all agree that Roy has teh ph1r3, but he certainly should not be a flaming homo lol.

camelot

Smash Ace
For idle animations, I could make it so that he doesn't make the "sigh" or "hair flip" animations, just the regular one.

The SFX are a bit lackluster, yeah. I'd have to experiment with some other sounds. He doesn't need more end lag on anything, though, except for his f-smash and overall speed changes to some of his specials.

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
Mm, yeah. Those idle animations have to go. Though for his f-smash and other moves, I recall you guys talking about how specific frames can't be adjusted yet with PSA. Is that still the case?

camelot

Smash Ace
Yeah, you can change when hitboxes appear, and disappear, and change IASA frames on moves, but you can't actually change the entire speed of a move.

God of Humility

Smash Journeyman
Wow guys, just wow. I tried him and I love it.

However is there a way to have Roy attached to a costume or to give him his own square at the CSS? It would be fun to use Marth and Roy at the same time. Is there anyways to have Roy not completely replace Marth?

Thanks, and congrats on the project.

comboking

Smash Master
Wow guys, just wow. I tried him and I love it.

However is there a way to have Roy attached to a costume or to give him his own square at the CSS? It would be fun to use Marth and Roy at the same time. Is there anyways to have Roy not completely replace Marth?

Thanks, and congrats on the project.
Short answer: Not yet

Callool tsunami. It isn't that needed Flare Blade takes for ever to charge.

camelot

Smash Ace
Right now he has to work as a replacement of Marth, unfortunately.

comboking, I use Flare Blade uncharged quite a bit more. It's quick, very easy to hit with, and has decent knockback. Charging it is good when players are trying to recover, though, the scaling knockback is really good.

Nice job figuring out the momentum thing, tsunami.

NxtGenFalco93

Smash Apprentice
i think it would be cool to change his 1 and 2 (up and down on a GC controller) taunts. i think the 2 taunt could have the same blade animation as the side taunt and the 1 taunt to have fire come out of the tip of the sword or whole sword. or it would be cooler to have ikes 1 taunt (i think thats the one) and have fire come out of his body.

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
Hey Camelot, I noticed that you changed the sfx of the tipper strike (not 100% consistent though), but what about the actual swing? Is it currently possible to change the sword swing sfx?

Edit: Nxtgenfalco has a good idea regarding the taunts, give some consideration to that :D

camelot

Smash Ace
I'm at my cousin's house and wi-fi isn't set up here. I'd have to wait until Friday, sorry :ohwell:

So you'll have to play against someone else.

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
Hrm, might be a noob question, but meh. Is there a GCT for vbrawl w/o Roy? Or do I have to use rsbe.txt file to run vbrawl via gecko/ocarina?

Edit: And all I would need after that would be the .pac files, right?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Hrm, might be a noob question, but meh. Is there a GCT for vbrawl w/o Roy? Or do I have to use rsbe.txt file to run vbrawl via gecko/ocarina?

Edit: And all I would need after that would be the .pac files, right?
You would need a .gct with just the file replacement code, along with the appropriate FitMarth.pac file if you wanted to play roy in vbrawl.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
It's in the latest nightly build.

if you want just that latest file replacement code, I would just get the text file, remove everything except for that code, and save that text file, and then run that through the chatmanager on homebrew.

_Bankai_

Smash Apprentice
Yeah Roy is way more balanced in vbrawl than in brawl+ lol.

Edit: Hey is the file replacement code in the 4.1 plussery pack different from the latest one?

camelot

Smash Ace
I did more cosmetic effects.

Flare Blade:

Final Smash trail (when he's dashing):

Please consider Flare Blade having the 3rd up hit of DED. I made some of the hitboxes bigger so it's easier to hit with. And it looks waaaay better.

And, it feels though b-air is just a little too strong to me. I need opinions on that, too.

Top Bottom