• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching: His Prescription? KOs

The Cape

Smash Master
Still needs some minor work.

Aerial cape needs edited, F smash come out a bit faster but be weaker, better angle on fireballs, and all the texture stuff.

timothyung

Smash Ace
Can you edit the horizontal aerial movement of him? Doc has a faster speed in the air than Mario, and the same as Marth/Roy's in Melee
And the cape has less ending lag

The Cape

Smash Master
Firstly I am not trying to make Melee doc. Secondly their physics were almost similar and the frame speed on all of their moves (except aerials) were as well.

I really like the way that this Doc is turning out and only needs a few minor changes to be of the finished product variety.

5ive

Smash Champion
I really like the way that this Doc is turning out and only needs a few minor changes to be of the finished product variety.

Finished product? Isn't it a bit to early to imply Doc's almost done? Don't you think builds would be appropriate to try some suggestions and to make Doc perfect rather than doing tweaks yourself and saying it's finished? I mean, we could try some of these suggestions and see how they work out rather than throwing them away, right?

timothyung

Smash Ace
Hmm because Doc is from Melee, so I think the differences between Doc and Mario in Brawl+, should be more similar as their differences in Melee, as long as he's balanced. It's just my suggestion though

Seems weird how Brawl+ Doc is the exact opposite of Melee Doc. Worse at killing than Mario and relies on gimps.

Meh, I'll have to give this a shot after finals.

The Cape

Smash Master
Melee Doc was better than Mario at building damage, killing, and gimping. His projectile was better in everyway too. Melee Doc made Mario useless by comparison, and in Brawl+ I am trying to make them a bit different. Most of Doc's moves are so far similar to how he operated in Melee, but there are a few creative changes to help with the differences from Melee and to help keep him balanced.

I look into the changes suggested and have actually tested most of them, and also he will be realeased in builds, but he really feels solid and almost complete.

Also, I hate to change things because of how it was in Melee. This is Brawl+ so its gonna be a different type of character.

5ive

Smash Champion
Well I think you should let us test them too.Like they say, 2 heads are better than one.

/cliche

The Cape

Smash Master
I post em as I change Doc. This is the preliminary set, and I have a few more changes I am going to try, then the next set will be posted. I appreciate the input from others.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
I heavily recommend a better recovery, or at least up-b.

I do not think that his weak attacks and gimps are enough alone to determine whether or not his recovery sucks. I mean, it is really bad, in a not cool way.

There are already plenty of characters whom have great recovery options and possibly better gimps. Kirby, MK, Dedede, Wario, etc. That alone makes me say that his recovery DESERVES to be better, especially when compared to all these characters that can recover AND gimp good.

Besides that, he can still wall-jump. This, however, I find to be a good thing. His recovery/whatever else options get worse without it.

Melee Doc's cape did anywhere from 8-12% damage (I think). I don't think 3% is good enough WHEN I hit my opponent. Maybe make that a little higher. Oh, and possibly something else to think about: if he caped a grabbed person, or a person in a weird position(?), they would fall to the ground, sorta like they were tripped. Maybe you could add something like that, preferably the grab thing though, it's be useful for team games.

Once the fire cloud on his F-smash is gone, I think it'll be much easier to land the F-smash. If you think about it, Melee Doc's F-smash COULD hit right behind him, though not far. I think that it'd be good if his F-smash could have a tiny hitbox on his back (not sure if it already does), and have a little more knockback, or speed.

Please take my words into consideration. I think these changes could be great, but not overpowering.

Lastly, is there a good set up to use the down-b with? Whenever I use it, my enemy knows to shield, or to just completely dodge it. It's damage racking abilities haven't been as useful as I hoped so far, but it might be just me =P

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
Great the Doc is back in town =)

The next project should be a new clone: Bowser Jr.
Just make Bowser smaller, new texture, new voices and make him a fast combo machine =)
Up-B: With vertical movement
Side-B: No horizontal movement, no suicide but more damage and damages other players.
B: a small flame that comes out and in fast and dont die off. Could be a great defense and gimp move.
Down+B: Cancelable, he stands up faster and its a meteor. But less damage and he is smaller.

5ive

Smash Champion
Download the GCT. Put the GCT in your codes folder, and put Gameconfig.txt in the root of your SD.

Here's the link to the gameconfig.txt
http://brawlplus.net/latest.html

Press "Direct Link to Premade SD Package (Full, 11.1MB):Includes textures for competitive play," and in the package you will see a gameconfig.txt file. Put that in the root, and put your codeset (whether it be 4.1B or a Nightly Build) in codes.

Edit: heh

I'm going to be starting up a Pichu project pretty soon, keep a look out.
OMFG I'M SOOO HELPING.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I'm going to be starting up a Pichu project pretty soon, keep a look out.
OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU!

Please make this happen soon. ;)

EDIT: I may be able to help with some things. I'm not a competitive Brawl or Melee player, but I do know quite a bit about Pichu in the Pokemon games and can give some suggestions for things to make him better in Smash, considering he is my main and all.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Wouldn't Pichu require a model importer since he is smaller and a different shape than Pikachu? Not to mention the main thing that differentiates them (Pichu hurting himself) is both a bad mechanic AND hard to code. (at least I would imagine it would be hard to code)

storm92

Smash Ace
Wouldn't Pichu require a model importer since he is smaller and a different shape than Pikachu? Not to mention the main thing that differentiates them (Pichu hurting himself) is both a bad mechanic AND hard to code. (at least I would imagine it would be hard to code)
I'm working out the size and all that (right now shape is impossible).
All I can say is look at Roy, where GoG took one of the things that made him horrible in Melee--his practically useless tip--and used it to make a better, deeper character. I plan to do the same with a unique solution to Pichu's...problem.

@ anyone who wants to help--
Shoot me a PM or AIM me at xsisolaaax

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
We should probably get back on topic. If we are gonna discuss Pichu, we should start a new thread for that.

Wolf of Ice

Smash Apprentice

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I was thinking that Docs FLOOD should get just a BIT of pushback, not enough to edgeguard, but just to keep people from just shielding and running up to punish since his FLOOD is slower than Mario's. Also, is it possible to alter the trajectories of FLOOD? Like make it so it can shoot at steeper angles?

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
Melee Doc was better than Mario at building damage, killing, and gimping. His projectile was better in everyway too. Melee Doc made Mario useless by comparison, and in Brawl+ I am trying to make them a bit different. Most of Doc's moves are so far similar to how he operated in Melee, but there are a few creative changes to help with the differences from Melee and to help keep him balanced.
What is the Idear behind Doc Brawl?
I think you should change him into a less gimping Mario. His Flood is already useless for gimping. Make him a character who can build up damage with his gimmicks over time (like a warlock). His cape should lose his turning effect and should get the opponent a flower and stun him for a little time.

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
A couple things about doc.

Why make him bad at killing when his recovery is even worse than Mario's? I mean, I don't think he should be that good at killing, but I don't think he should be BAD at it with HIS recovery. Also, fsmash is just wierd to me. Mabey its that the fireball is still there which throws me off. Mabey its that in Melee he didn't take that big step before he throws out his arm like Mario does. Mabey I'm just too use to Melee doc.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I want Young link. :) It isnt impossible to do if we can somehow shrink normal Link and make a new texture. Give him fire arrows, the normal rang and the fire spike :). Make Link's dsmash have horizontal knockback, etc.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I want Young link. :) It isnt impossible to do if we can somehow shrink normal Link and make a new texture. Give him fire arrows, the normal rang and the fire spike :). Make Link's dsmash have horizontal knockback, etc.
We don't need three links, Young Link was replaced with a very similar character, unlike Doc and Roy and Pichu.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
A couple things about doc.

Why make him bad at killing when his recovery is even worse than Mario's? I mean, I don't think he should be that good at killing, but I don't think he should be BAD at it with HIS recovery. Also, fsmash is just wierd to me. Mabey its that the fireball is still there which throws me off. Mabey its that in Melee he didn't take that big step before he throws out his arm like Mario does. Mabey I'm just too use to Melee doc.
Back on topic guys...

I think he is just bad at killing because the angles his kill moves are sending at. Basically set you up directly into the corner blast zone, so it takes a while.

His gimp game is so amazing though, I am perfectly fine with his kill power being poor.
I'm finding that his black plague balls (get them suckers purple asap :p) **** a majority of the recoveries in the game with their semi spike, or at the very least make their jumps magically disappear. His Bair is amazing at keeping people away from the ledge, and his Dtilt has a lot of potential at the edge of the stage to set up for more gimps. Add on the Cape and he is a gimping machine. For the very few characters that can get past him, you know they are going to be eating a FLUDD blast for some great damage.

His kill power is also a little less problematic when he racks damage up so well. Its definitely easier to get them off stage and go for the gimp but its not like he is completely hopeless with onstage kills.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Texture hack TL and give him fire arrows. GG?
He's closer to Link than Toon Link is.

Thus you need to shrink Link to make him a shota, THEN apply changes.

Also dsmash has set KB on the first hit which is why even if we wanted to, TL can't have a YL dsmash w/o it being hilariously broken everytime TL is facing the stage (think a lesser form of TL's dsmash glitch in vB...all the time [although landing dsmash is like impossible unless you do EVO 08 sh*t and spotdodge dsmash]).

So it HAS to be Link.

Also Young Link is not cool. Sheikant has terrible ideas.

I had to say this.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Great the Doc is back in town =)

The next project should be a new clone: Bowser Jr.
Just make Bowser smaller, new texture, new voices and make him a fast combo machine =)
Up-B: With vertical movement
Side-B: No horizontal movement, no suicide but more damage and damages other players.
B: a small flame that comes out and in fast and dont die off. Could be a great defense and gimp move.
Down+B: Cancelable, he stands up faster and its a meteor. But less damage and he is smaller.
This actually sounds cool as hell and would work really well. I would so take a original char that actually makes sense over pichu(no disrespect to the pichu fans)

My only thing is this. If the coders have time to make chars should the actual brawl+ project be close to a gold release?

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
The final steps to gold aren't simply a matter of "getting it done."

Right now we're discussing the more or less final changes to the top and bottom. This process takes time, and isn't something that can simply get done -- it's not just a factor of time, but also of agreeing on things.

Also, even if we wanted to keep working, we've pretty much run out of frame speed space. So we're waiting on Almas's smexy new engine.

Thus, independent character mods aren't really stopping or even slowing the official project from going Gold at all. Like I said, this isn't something the WBR is diverting resources to complete, it's just something some of it's members have decided to take on in addition to their current work.

Top Bottom