• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CGC @ SFSU XXV - SEP. 3rd!

verge

Smash Apprentice
Great tournament!

Just a couple questions; I arrived at about 1 pm, and it seems everybody was just arriving then, you know we had that "lecture" thing and then we set up everything.
Wasn't that supposed to start up at like 11 am?
All the other rooms in the building were being used for testing and a speech and debate tournament, so we had to wait for the testing to finish before we could get a room.

Zoap

Smash Master
from what i can see, Jesse, Boback, Andre and Nick were the only ones that could be added in. Both Boback and Nick have done well in the other amateur brackets and rightly deserved their spots. Andre was most likely based on how he did at GSG, and Jesse has been rapidly improving and more than proved why the TOs put him where he was.

Everyone else in the Amateur bracket has either been inactive or has done nothing spectacular.

I of course could be completely wrong as I wasn't there and cannot read others minds.

Violence

Smash Lord
Eric when are you leaving? Cuz i wasn't able to go to CGC cuz it was my best friend's bday

but i still wanna play you sometime this week before you leave.
I am leaving on Tuesday. I made a special trip to Pocky's to play him and get a set recorded today. I don't think I can do the same for you tomorrow though, man... why didn't you go to CGC?

WassupJB

Smash Lord
Because the smash community is a huge popularity contest.
depends.

or they wanted to keep you from getting ***** by choknater?
don't take that frotaz.

Amaaazing tournament hahahaha. Hopefully DGDTJ will be just as good or better!!
people just need to show up.

LOL let's try to not turn that tournament into an acronym
word, just say gsg2.

from what i can see, Jesse, Boback, Andre and Nick were the only ones that could be added in. Both Boback and Nick have done well in the other amateur brackets and rightly deserved their spots. Andre was most likely based on how he did at GSG, and Jesse has been rapidly improving and more than proved why the TOs put him where he was.

Everyone else in the Amateur bracket has either been inactive or has done nothing spectacular.

I of course could be completely wrong as I wasn't there and cannot read others minds.
i don't think jesse has much at all. as for the other 3 and derek, i agree.
^reread that before you think i said jesse is bad, i just don't think he has results that support what you're saying besides this tournament. i know jesse is good, he's been a potential problem for a minute he just hasn't been active, much like berto/hypethug with proper practice.

Brian

Smash Journeyman
jesse was better than everyone in the amateur bracket
yes i'm using results from this tournament to justify it
but i felt like it was the right choice before the tournament too

pockyD

Smash Legend
there were quite a few people seeded out of the amateur bracket because at one point, there was some intention of having a 32-man amateur bracket

Why? I don't know, although there's no reason to believe that it's strictly inferior to only seeding out ranked players or anything else equally arbitrary

Anyway, that idea got shot out the window when we had to patch up some late registrants that we missed, but by then, half the first round had been played so we couldn't really easily pull more players back down

In a perfect world, we would've started on time and done conventional pools instead of this stuff; whatever we actually ended up doing was just rolling with the punches

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I have the bracket. Has anyone made an AIB page for the tournament? If so then they need to tell me so I can give them the file to post. Otherwise, I will make the page and upload it. Lunin/Chase should let me know as soon as possible so people can see it soon.

Regarding the pro/am brackets, at some point the separation into pro/am brackets is just an arbitrary dividing line based on our judgment of players' skills, and often this line ends up being in a skill level where there isn't a whole lot of factual data, so my criteria for drawing that line are twofold:

Any place where there is a 'noticeable' quantum leap in skill level. 20 is an arbitrary number, so a cutoff based on who is ranked or not is equally arbitrary. We only rank 20 because it's a 'nice' number, not because there's anything special about the 20th ranked player compared to the 21st.

And second, any place where practical considerations (e.g. a 'convenient' number of people in both brackets) make it a good idea. In the future, I think if time is a factor, I think we maybe ought to take top 6, since that saves 3 rounds of play (well, really only 2 since basically always we're waiting for loser's bracket to catch up to that point) over top 4. This is assuming around 32 entrants; for closer to 16, top 4 is fine.

PHIL07

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for coming down socal!
thanks for coming down jeff(az)
had fun handing out =)
<3

HugS™

Smash Lord
I talk a lot of ****, but I'm always truthful in what I am saying. I've talked **** on norcal before, but right now, they are better than us.

With Mango not giving a **** and being essentially useless to Socal as far as repping us, with Zhu and lucky johning about "we just suck at locals", with me having problems with kooky matchups, and with norcal's 2nd tier players outnumbering ours, it's becoming clear that Socal is being outclassed at the moment, at least when you look at placings lately.

Socal needs to step it up to catch up. Norcal is better, but only by a bit. It became clear over the weekend.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I had a ton of fun at this :) Thank you so much, everyone, for making this such an awesome experience!

I mostly wanna thank HMW, for going through so much trouble to get me to Norcal, providing transportation, etc etc.

onski?

Smash Ace
I have the bracket. Has anyone made an AIB page for the tournament? If so then they need to tell me so I can give them the file to post. Otherwise, I will make the page and upload it. Lunin/Chase should let me know as soon as possible so people can see it soon.
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=10731

I had a ton of fun at this :) Thank you so much, everyone, for making this such an awesome experience!

I mostly wanna thank HMW, for going through so much trouble to get me to Norcal, providing transportation, etc etc.
we <3 you Axe. hope you had as much fun as we did, and thanks again for coming out

and may i say that Brian has the best sig ever

Shroomed

Smash Master
I talk a lot of ****, but I'm always truthful in what I am saying. I've talked **** on norcal before, but right now, they are better than us.

With Mango not giving a **** and being essentially useless to Socal as far as repping us, with Zhu and lucky johning about "we just suck at locals", with me having problems with kooky matchups, and with norcal's 2nd tier players outnumbering ours, it's becoming clear that Socal is being outclassed at the moment, at least when you look at placings lately.

Socal needs to step it up to catch up. Norcal is better, but only by a bit. It became clear over the weekend.
u didnt have to play pikachu twice!!!

HOW DO I DO IT AXE!?!?!!? HOW!!!!!???

LuCKy

Smash Master

nobody wants to go to tourneys anymore. . . no **** we suck lol as for me i just stopped playing fox entirely during the week which i believe affected my tournament play a lot lol who wouldve known the great batman would be ****in my fox up >.> i wouldve ***** this tourney for sure though :]

LuCKy

Smash Master
my *** dude a sword would definitely **** a pen

and pshhhhhhhh you guys wernt ready for the actions of my new and improved fox lol

Top Bottom