• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Jun.

Smash Lord
I think Marth's quick Dashforward->WD back is an AMAZING tool in baiting moves and rolls in any matchup. Marth's dash start up is quick and wd is nice and long so combine that with sword/grab range, its a great tool.

!!!RM!!!

Smash Journeyman
Crouch Cancelling is a big problem in my falco matchup right now, particularly regarding Fair; so I tried to find a solution. What I came up with was tipping Fair and following up with either buffer spot-dodge , shield, or Side B. Spot-dodge seems less commiting but also extremely punishable if read due to constant use. Shield stops Dsmash, Fsmash, and Dash Attack but gets grabbed and pressured. Side B comes out at the same time as falco's Fsmash(when you add the frame disadvantage), but will usually reach him before his foot will so long as you time it properly. It is, however, outsped by Dash Attack. But if you do land the Side B you can continue and finish with the third, down hit and jab reset or techchase for an uthrow>Tipper or juggle.

What do you guys think? Any other followups I could be using as well or instead?

:phone:

"Could someone explain the Sheik match-up?" I bet that would have received a slightly better response. lol

Or just visit that thread in the sub-forum

Niko45

Smash Master
I'm having really big problems with nerves and inconsistency in tourney and I keep thinking it will get better with more experience but it doesn't honestly seem to be the case.

I'm getting really frustrated with how huge a drop off my play takes once I get in tournament in general.

Cactuar any advice?

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I'm having really big problems with nerves and inconsistency in tourney and I keep thinking it will get better with more experience but it doesn't honestly seem to be the case.

I'm getting really frustrated with how huge a drop off my play takes once I get in tournament in general.

Cactuar any advice?
Well, I'm pretty free in melee (although I do really want to improve and plan on entering apex) but I do place in brawl, so at least with nerves I think I can help a bit.

Imo, the second you start choking you already aren't focusing on the game. Ex: if you're thinking "oh my god im winning", or "what will X people think when I lose" or about some girl or WHATEVER. you have already lost unless you outskill the person you are playing by a significant margin.

You have to get a in a zone where you are so focused on the game that none of these thoughts even go into your head.

Alot of times vs people I tend to adapt once and when I start ****** and go on autopilot because im cocky. But since that's my problem I learned to watch out for it and calm down and it happens less and less. Either that or I get scared of losing to a player that's "worse than me".

You have to notice the similarities in where you choke, so before it happens you can get your head into the game.

I experimented with playing with music in tournament for No Johns and it sorta helped me calm down.

Iunno music helps me to concentrate though *shrugs*
Music definitely helps me, especialllly if there's a large crowd however I rely a lot on sound and I drop my reaction when I do so.... so I usually put on headphones if either

A. Im anxious // need to relax // am stressed
B. I think i can win w/out my max reaction speed and don't want to risk choking

Dart!

Smash Master

Cactuar any advice?
Deep breaths. the realization that if you want to play well, let the nerves go will help you play waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better.

Niko45

Smash Master
I really like music for zoning out distractions but I just can't give up sound.

I know exactly what you mean Orion in regards to being really focused on the game and not thinking about who I'm playing or what the consequences are but I just can't seem to get there consistently. It happens more with players below me or on my level I feel because I feel the extra outside expectations that I will beat them and I think that's the biggest thing I need to block out.

Everyone I've talked to about this says just keep playing so that's what I'll do.

Dart!

Smash Master
I really like music for zoning out distractions but I just can't give up sound.

I know exactly what you mean Orion in regards to being really focused on the game and not thinking about who I'm playing or what the consequences are but I just can't seem to get there consistently. It happens more with players below me or on my level I feel because I feel the extra outside expectations that I will beat them and I think that's the biggest thing I need to block out.

Everyone I've talked to about this says just keep playing so that's what I'll do.
"Players below me"
i don't like coming in and thinking "this guys beneath me" treat every opponent like they're on your level and using nothing but your best to defeat them is the only way. the more you think "bring my best and nothing but" the more mentally in the zone you will be. don't stop believin'

ALSO: found a vid where a commentator says something HUGE about the mentality of a certain player that ousted Daigo at evo this past weekend.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK3WiaqjdGs&feature=player_detailpage#t=63s

Niko45

Smash Master
As much as you can pretend players aren't above and below you, they are. You know when you are playing someone that people's jaws will drop if you lose to them. It's easy for me to start out ignoring this but once things start going wrong, I can't help but think about it.

I don't think my issue is stemming from cockyness it's stemming from lack of confidence in general, or having a very fragile confidence that breaks easily.

I like what you guys are saying tho. Deep breaths, slow down.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Slow down.

Best advice I can give.
I agree with that, sometimes you have to wait after you throw out an attack to see if you can bait another move from the opponent. Like let's say you hit him with Fair, you don't have to do another attack right away, it gets too predictable, you gotta mix up your timing to throw the opponent off. Like let's say for me, I Ganon jab the opponent, then I can wait to see what the opponent does, if I see a pattern then I can punish him, if he jumps after jab i can upair.. if I upaired right away i would not have hit him but if I baited him it will hit after the move was thrown. Knowing your hitbox is pretty important too, like knowing what move beats what other move you know? =P Priority and all that stuff.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I sing a song in my head. Which song depends on my mood, what I can remember, etc. But I find it works. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Crouch Cancelling is a big problem in my falco matchup right now, particularly regarding Fair; so I tried to find a solution. What I came up with was tipping Fair and following up with either buffer spot-dodge , shield, or Side B. Spot-dodge seems less commiting but also extremely punishable if read due to constant use. Shield stops Dsmash, Fsmash, and Dash Attack but gets grabbed and pressured. Side B comes out at the same time as falco's Fsmash(when you add the frame disadvantage), but will usually reach him before his foot will so long as you time it properly. It is, however, outsped by Dash Attack. But if you do land the Side B you can continue and finish with the third, down hit and jab reset or techchase for an uthrow>Tipper or juggle.

What do you guys think? Any other followups I could be using as well or instead?

:phone:
Properly spaced fair you should be able to just dash away I would think. But yeah if your at kill % empty sh to grab really works especially when you have a good idea that they are trying to cc you. You can just space dtilt instead of sh approaching though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
if they're just crouching then just empty sh to grab
if they're actually good and are waiting to the last minute to crouch, you'll have to mix stuff up and hope for the best. spaced fair, empty sh grab, dash dance, spaced dtilt, etc. area all very good options on approach if you're already past the lasers.

on the subject of consistency/what to think during a set: i find that recently i've done very well and it's because i've focused only on the game... watching my opponent and paying attention to every little detail about their movement, approach, techs, etc and trying to learn what they are doing. the times i've faltered are when i've started thinking about things other than the game like "oh man what will people think if i beat this player" or something stupid like that and the other player manages to make a comeback because of my stupidity. never lose focus and always try your hardest.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
"Players below me"
i don't like coming in and thinking "this guys beneath me" treat every opponent like they're on your level and using nothing but your best to defeat them is the only way. the more you think "bring my best and nothing but" the more mentally in the zone you will be. don't stop believin'

ALSO: found a vid where a commentator says something HUGE about the mentality of a certain player that ousted Daigo at evo this past weekend.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK3WiaqjdGs&feature=player_detailpage#t=63s
Arizona 2 good

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Haha ya, you can't really give respect when you play a real match, you have to think ways to defeat him. I am Dart! lol. You are representing yourself, if you think someone is too strong for you then he will be too strong for you. You make yourself into a legend.

ILM

Smash Journeyman
Niko: For nerves, I honestly think the best solution is just to have fun. Like, I'm not that good, but whenever I'm playing I just have a ****ing ball, so it doesn't stress me out, so I don't get nervous. IDK, but if you just loosen up and try to treat it like any other Melee match it may help.

-Put headphones on blaring music to drown out the useless people in the background doing shoutouts
-Focus on trying to find habits or areas to abuse against your opponent.
-Think ahead of something you might try.
-The more you think about something constructive, the less you should be thinking about nerves and other external pressures :D

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
there are a lot of audio cues in this game. i saw some kid get falcon punched cuz he was listening to music. idk unless you started playing competitively while listening to music i wouldn't advise it.
I used to a long time ago.

leffen

Smash Champion
Yeah without music you'll get falcon punched every time! Wow, really?

I haven't used music much myself but honestly, its EXTREMELY helpful if you have a huge crowd against you.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i don't quite understand what you're trying to say with that first sentence leffen LOL

Top Bottom