• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

joejoe22802

Smash Ace
Hey I was trying to collect some information and wasn't sure how to search for it. I wanted to know what dash dance/wd/walking/spacing bait tricks are commonly used by marth. Also I've seen a lot of tricks marth's use that implement knowledge of where people are going to DI out of Tilts and Throws. I was hoping someone could describe them to me. Thanks

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
@Lucas: I like doing that when I can feel something like a Marth is at a combo percent but sometimes I'll try to FF after the Fair and uptilt if I don't think the Uair will come out in time.

Marth dittos were super fun this weekend. Also I beat Tope in a MM. Marth's awesome <3

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
@Lucas: I like doing that when I can feel something like a Marth is at a combo percent but sometimes I'll try to FF after the Fair and uptilt if I don't think the Uair will come out in time.

Marth dittos were super fun this weekend. Also I beat Tope in a MM. Marth's awesome <3
To expand upon what PeePee said, sh fair to nair is super free on almost everybody but the spacies below kill percent. At certain percents it'll work on the spacies as well, and with them it can lead to a grab combo instead of your basic aerial combo. Be careful with it though, since Marth is easily CCed you can get ***** pretty hard if you do it at too low a percent or if the opponent is expecting it. Also, uair's range requires you to be within grab range so if it's shielded you can get grabbed out of it. It is risky, but it's highly rewarding when you pull it off.

I hate to bring up this video again, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5ZE-HxVBE&t=3m22s is an excellent example of the risk/rewards of using it. I also believe that sh fair to uair works the best on ganon and marth. I'd be careful using it on those characters that can get underneath the shfair like peach and sheik with their dash attacks.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I absolutely will. Marth is too much fun/**** not to use haha. =)

GGs btw Niko. Hope you didn't mind my friendlies shenanigans too much lol. =p

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
Hey I was trying to collect some information and wasn't sure how to search for it. I wanted to know what dash dance/wd/walking/spacing bait tricks are commonly used by marth. Also I've seen a lot of tricks marth's use that implement knowledge of where people are going to DI out of Tilts and Throws. I was hoping someone could describe them to me. Thanks
The biggest Marth 'trick' is dash dance grab, or more commonly dash away from an attack, then dash in and grab. Wavedash OoS techchase to grab is one that I find useful. Oftentimes we also dash through the opponent or wavedash through them and turn around grab. Very effective with Marth because of the grab range. You can dash dance/turn around side b to disrupt timing or interrupt approaches, something Ken used all the time and something Taj does frequently as well.

Walking is very OP with Marth, but it's really only used for a few things like platform camping, setting up spacing, or throwing off your opponent by suddenly changing the pace of your combo by walking instead of running. AKA mindgames. In the end, use walk to set the pace of the game to what you want it to be. If the opponent plays to your pace, you have the advantage.

The only thing I really bait with spacing is shields/rolls/spotdodges, so perhaps you'll get an answer about that from somebody else.

I can give you two good examples of DI manipulation with Marth.

Numba 1, uthrowing the opponent when your back is to the ledge. They might expect a dthrow and DI down and away to avoid a follow up tippered fsmash or dtilt only to find themselves eating a dair and losing a stock anyway.

Numba 2, and I just used this gem. Most Marth's know that side b to utilt is a good way to kill Peach, well Peach's know that too. I was playing DruggedFox on FD peach vs marth and he had previously DIed the utilt to survive longer that I had expected, so the next stock I used side b to ftilt around the same percent. He DIed to survive the utilt and died quickly from the ftilt.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
I absolutely will. Marth is too much fun/**** not to use haha. =)

GGs btw Niko. Hope you didn't mind my friendlies shenanigans too much lol. =p
Hey Peeps, you're gonna be at Tipped off 7 right? I wanna get some dittos in so I can learn some more Marth stuff. Mebbe even teach you something too ;)

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Where do you guys find a shfairuair to be useful?

I've been doing this on reaction a lot lately, and I was hoping I could find out where/when it's most useful
If you do happen to be in the situation of getting the early shfair with the option of doing another fair, dbj fair, or upair (among other options) it's basically whatever you think will extend the combo/get the kill.

Upair in general is pretty nice in situations where it will put them on a platform and you think they will miss the tech since they are thinking about DI, also good for if you think you can effectively bait out double jumps or link the upair to other aerials/uptilt.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Situations I would personally use shfairuair:

When fair tippers and uair combos into anything
When I fair past the opponents shield and uair to cover me since it hits behind marth and has the same landing lag as fair.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
fair uair on shield (the front of shield) is way better than fair fair in terms of shieldstun. It gives you enough frame advantage to grab before they shieldgrab you iirc

That doesn't make it super useful considering early fairing the front of most characters shields sucks, but oh well.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
What's the best way to deal with shine pressure from spacies? I usually try to wavedash OOS and get away but often it's too much and I end up being overwhelmed
For anyone who knows frame data, can you get airborne before shine hits in shffl nair > shine situations?

I've been wanting to see if against fox you could do silly stuff like shield nair jump, get hit by shine immediate dash attack or grab.

But overall all you have to remember is to wavedash after the shine.

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
For anyone who knows frame data, can you get airborne before shine hits in shffl nair > shine situations?

I've been wanting to see if against fox you could do silly stuff like shield nair jump, get hit by shine immediate dash attack or grab.

dont think so, certainly not against fox

would LOVE to be proven wrong though

Mahie

Smash Lord
Is there any stage/situation where you can work on angling the upB? Like a platform you can't reach without doing it or something.

First time I ever hear about that, sounds amazing lol.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
Is there any stage/situation where you can work on angling the upB? Like a platform you can't reach without doing it or something.

First time I ever hear about that, sounds amazing lol.
I use it against light shield on the edge (marth killer), or on yoshi's to get a better sweet spot.

An easy way to practice it would be to go to battlefield. A normal up b will net you top platform, while the angled up b will net you lower platform or bottom stage.

MT_

Smash Ace
Anyone familiar with the situation of up-bing onto YS and then ledgecancelling it? Is this dependent at all on an angled up-b? It would work wonders against the marth killer, but I only ever do it accidentally.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)

Depends on the speed of your jump and how late the fox does the nair. Fox's nair has 7 frames of l-cancel lag and 7 frames of shieldstun, and Marth is airborne on frame 5... so uh... yea it depends.

I think it's a pretty good idea though. It's not that risky to get hit by Fox's shine during pressure usually.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I do the jump into shine out of shield during pressure fairly often with Marth half on purpose and even if I don't always get the grab punish I've never been hit out of it(by Twitch anyway).

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Is there a faster/easier way to do a cross-up grab besides dash -> CC'd turnaround grab? Half the time I do it, it doesn't do that smooth turnaround and looks janky/slow.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
Is there a faster/easier way to do a cross-up grab besides dash -> CC'd turnaround grab? Half the time I do it, it doesn't do that smooth turnaround and looks janky/slow.
pivot grab or wavedash through hold towards the opponent > grab. Pivot grab being the faster of the two of course.
how fast does marth's downsmash come out?

is it his fastest grounded move frame wise?
Total: 64 frames
Hit: 5-7, 20-22
Charge frame: 3
IASA: 62

Jab and hits on frame 4 and only lasts 27 frames. IASA is frame 26.

Top Bottom