• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

mers

Smash Ace
Moving away from the women MU topic, can anyone give me advice on playing against Link? I can't edgeguard him and I am reduced to lamely standing there while he hookshots or UpBs his back onto the stage every time. In addition, how do you guys deal with his neverending supply of projectiles? I try to just dash forward, jump, and fair if appropriately but it isn't working too well.

General tips against Link, anyone?
If he has to Up-B, counter works pretty well, as does dtilt. Ledgehop dair is pretty effective. If he still has his hookshot, you're much better off hanging from the ledge. You can bair quite far from the stage to swat him away, or drop fair if he hooks the wall.

Also, Battlefield.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Don't be afraid of Link. What's he going to do? Grab you. Nah.

Jab his rangs. Shield his bombs (or even better, don't give him room to pull them out; he's not mobile like Young Link; lol). Arrows are garbage.

Invade his space. Try d-tilting and SH fast fall fairing, since they're pretty safe. Link's slowness makes him easy to grab, so abuse that.

Try using ledge invincibility to edgeguard. Grab ledge and bair or maybe dair if it's appropriate. Try to d-tilt/f-smash his non-sweetspotted hookshots.

Jun.

Smash Lord
Link.... can't shield grab marth. If you L-Cancel into Forward-B, neutral-A, or sometimes even Dtilt, Link's grab is so slow that he'll just get hit by the ground move after a nair or fair. The only dangerous thing about link is his Dthrow to Utilt but if you get around this by stuffing his shield with those fast ground attacks, he is almost useless since he has no options out of shield.

Annoying things are the projectiles. You have to recall the peach matchup where if you're in about double Marth's sword range he won't pull projectiles since its too dangerous. Give him too much space and he'll start pulling bombs which can be a nuisance for Marth who doesn't have many good options against projectiles. Even though they might be jab-able, still takes frames and Link always has that boomerang he can follow up with.

Edgeguarding link is up to your creativity and tech skill off the ledge. If you can grab the ledge when he's hookshotting, you can usually bair while he's being pulled in or fair him into the stage. Just don't let him hookshot and get pulled in, in which case Marth's only option is to counter or space a Fsmash very very well to hit and not get hit by his upB.

In the end
-Link is slow
-Link has worse range
-Link sux

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Link.... can't shield grab marth. If you L-Cancel into Forward-B, neutral-A, or sometimes even Dtilt, Link's grab is so slow that he'll just get hit by the ground move after a nair or fair. The only dangerous thing about link is his Dthrow to Utilt but if you get around this by stuffing his shield with those fast ground attacks, he is almost useless since he has no options out of shield.
and if link waits for you to do any of those ground moves and grabs them in the lag (because its guaranteed then)?

really, your safest option against shield grabbing is to just jump as soon as you can, since link's grab can't hit you in the air. But link can beat this and many other things with his best OoS attack, fullhop nair. Also, don't forget he has that upb OoS which can be a reversal stock taker.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Link can shield grab any of Marth's smash attacks (unless the f-smash is perfectly spaced), his f- and u-tilt, his neutral b (assuming it doesn't break his shield first), and the last hit of his side b. That's about it though.

Roneblaster

Smash Hero
link can shield grab a marth fsmash even if you're too far away and dont hit his shield.

i was salty as **** when i found out about that. i'm sure most of you marth players know that by now though.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
I don't know why anyone would just randomly fsmash link. You can go nuts on his shield with aerials and he can't do a thing about it.

DondonSF

Smash Journeyman
naw man its a tiger uppercut,also why is it that whenever I gimp someone with Marth I feel like a **** but when I shinespike someone I feel like a boss?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Marth can be such a fancypants with his gimping. But it's so overdone now, I just don't find it all that entertaining anymore unless they do a really sick variation I've never seen before, or it starts from 0 and puts them at like 60% before Marth is finished. Overkill makes me happy.

Fox shine spikes are either awesome or meh for me.

If they have ledge invincibility to make it super easymode, or do the double jump trick to position themselves, it becomes very meh for me. Similarly, shine spiking someone with no hitbox to protect them is pretty meh.

If they actually go all in for a shine spike without invincibility and hit through a hitbox (Fox firefox in motion, etc.) and super time it, then my inner child is positively tickled.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I like doing 55 hit gimps even though they are dead after the first hit if I just edgehogged or did something other than jab/dtilt/tip fair

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
nice avatar, crystalnite

is that colette or mithos/
yggdrasil
? i can't see >.<

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i haven't played ToS in a very long time

and Mithos dresses like Colette LOL
except Colette has long sleeves and a more closed-off jacket/dress thingy

AustinRC

Smash Lord
I couldnt get past colette, she was too annoying. I saved some unicorn and at that moment, I put the game down and was like "**** this not worth it."

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Her voice took some adjusting to for me, but I quickly grew to love her and the depth of each of the characters. She became annoying with the princess peach-bowser syndrome, but it really served to bring out the passion in Lloyd that I feel really drove much of the storyline.

Yeah i forgot mithos at one point entered colette (shut up)

KK wtf play tales and then try to degrade one of the BEST GAMES EVER MADE WITH YOUR INSOLENCE

INSOLENCE!!!

so yeah, marth vs ganon? Is mango vs kage an accurate depiction of how marth takes control of the match?

Top Bottom