• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
just because you don't get hit for whiffing doesn't mean you didn't get punished

i'd even go so far as to say that just because you don't lose stage for whiffing doesn't mean you didn't get "punished"

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I really like Nair with Falco, but this ain't dat thred

Everyone always talks about the threat of DD grab, but I don't get those very much. I'd rather push the opponent to the edge and grab them offensively/defensively there so I can tech chase of platform combo with the grab as I see fit. Perhaps I push them using the threat of DD grab, but I generally threaten with Dtilt and they respect that instead *shrug*. Then again, Dtilt is the hype for me LOL.

Marth is neat because he's a zoning character but also kinda FAST so he doesn't feel as limited in his zoning as characters such as Sheik or Ganon or Puff might feel when zoning.

I like dis board. You guys talk about good stuff.

.Chipmunk.

Smash Ace
Perhaps you aren't punishing as much off your grab game so much as you are punishing people when they are off stage, PP. It really depends on that imo. Some Marth's are gimping prodigies while others are 'if I get a grab you're dead'. M2K has been so amazing with marth because he's developed both sides.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
can some tech guru find out for me whether weak upair to uptilt legit combos on spacies or sheik when you upthrow them onto a platform below 30?

I keep seeing this hit in videos..and it hits for me sometimes as well. I just like guaranteed things. i feel like they should be able to ASDI down while teching in place and then shield the uptilt, but top level matches keep having this hit and below 20 it seems better than what I'm doing.

I just want to believe that it actually works reliably

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
there is a 1 frame difference, but yeah i guess i will try that today sometime.

also i can't execute anything without a Cstick..so it's difficult..but i suppose 1/4 speed will help with that.

also, training mode people don't hold ASDI down and try to shield. you are able to ASDI down while teching right? so don't they get reduced stun or something? or is that only if you are in an actual crouch..why don't i remember any of the technical stuff about this game. i'm such a scrub

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
there is a 1 frame difference, but yeah i guess i will try that today sometime.

also i can't execute anything without a Cstick..so it's difficult..but i suppose 1/4 speed will help with that.

also, training mode people don't hold ASDI down and try to shield. you are able to ASDI down while teching right? so don't they get reduced stun or something? or is that only if you are in an actual crouch..why don't i remember any of the technical stuff about this game. i'm such a scrub
actual crouch reduces stun and knockback by 33%

asdi down input just allows you to bounce against the floor and tech (or fake CC, if you're at low enough of a percent)

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so if you're bouncing on the floor you are still technically in as much stun as if it launched you in the air right?

anyway thanks for the info tai.

also, i suck at smash now. i realized that I forgot so many things I had implemented in my game when i was playing every 2-3 days for 6 hrs at a time.. Now since I only play once a week, I can't do things that I would have laughed at players before for failing to execute. even the edgeguarding is sloppier.

Bones0

Smash Legend
so if you're bouncing on the floor you are still technically in as much stun as if it launched you in the air right?

anyway thanks for the info tai.

also, i suck at smash now. i realized that I forgot so many things I had implemented in my game when i was playing every 2-3 days for 6 hrs at a time.. Now since I only play once a week, I can't do things that I would have laughed at players before for failing to execute. even the edgeguarding is sloppier.
I'm pretty sure as soon as you hit the floor (from a knockdown, not from something like Falco's dair at 0%) the stun goes out the window. You just fall over and the regular timing for missed techs comes into play.

Are you asking this because of playing Mahone? I know he was ASDIing down and teching a bunch of my late uairs -> utilts on platforms. I think the best way to handle this might be to just mix in empty hop utilts. You could also try something like late uair FH WL grab or immediately SH and try to time a second uair when you think they'll unshield, but obviously those are pretty subject to variance. I need to learn how to get these techs so I can just shield drop through after. MUAHAHA! Are you supposed to miss the initial tech and just hold down? I can't remember what Mahone kept doing.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i usually just chase them as they leave the platform..but that sometimes falls prey to them pretending to escape and instantly fastfalling an aerial..but regardless, bigger issue is that I see lots of videos of people hitting these upair uptilts after a tech in place. And I don't know what to think. yesterday I was hitting mahone with upair uptilt too.

Are those top players and mahone yesterday just playing badly so that they don't get CC and escape? or is there some really tight timing that allows you to actually get those to combo even at low percent. I know I killed mahone with it yesterday using weak upair uptilt.

It's so bizarre because usually trying something like that just gets me wrecked.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think you have to input the tech with really good early timing in order to also be able to tech the uair. Otherwise you have to miss the first tech, but then if they don't get hit right away they will also miss the second tech.

If they CC a weak uair, you definitely won't be able to followup. This never happens though because they'd just shield. If they only ASDI down, it will depend on the char and %. Is there a reason you can't just tip your uair? Seems like the problem is that the uair is weak.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
here's some footage of me vs taj from our last-minute grind session

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po5Xhaek2EA

there's a really good marth ditto set (goes to game 5) in there. watch that if anything, but there's a lot of silly stuff that goes on in this X_X (about 5 or 6 more hours of footage incoming after i get back from koc btw)

critique, point things out, etc

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I was hyped to see Ken especially when he did well. Still, Marth's have to solve their own problems. Waiting for a beacon of hope player isn't going to do it for Marth mains. Ken won't come back and be the best with marth again. Mew2King will probably never win a tournament at an international level again with Marth or Fox/Sheik. PPU is promising and he did well minus the match with Axe. All in all it's up to new individuals to step it up. Stop waiting on someone to do it for you and do it yourself.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Well, Ken said it himself on stream.

Marth loses to Puff and Peach, and Marth isn't good.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
He does. As the game progresses in skill he also loses to Fox and Falco.

He also loses to Sheik

He also struggles with Falcon, Samus, Ganon, and Doc....but who gives a ****?

Just because the odds aren't in your favor by a sizable Margin doesn't mean you can't win.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
just chiming in because i watched the KoC archives

dr peepee.... you are incredible

i want to watch those grand finals several times... but i should sleep first. haha

Top Bottom