• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

Warhawk

Smash Lord
The Falcon Kick kill made me laugh, never would have seen that I think except from a Ganon main. I thought your style with him was very unique and interesting. You definitely use crouch canceling more than most Falcons and I like the way you space uairs and use them to edgeguard.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhNZJjVOS_w

Me vs Kirbykaze at /Hope this past sunday.
remember that WD is a pretty good OOS option. I don't think I saw you use it once.
Also, uthrow -> knee on sheik is around 80-90ish (maybe 100ish?) iirc. i think you could have gone for it at some point and didn't. and then you tried it at too high of a percent here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BhNZJjVOS_w#t=234s

Kinda tired right now otherwise I'd write some more stuff. kk must be scary to play against as a falcon

Windrose

Smash Lord
U throw knee on sheik starts working at low 70s. (what kirby kaze told me.)

:phone:

Wolfy!

Indecisive
We should probably have a "moves/percents that almost defnitely lead into knees" sticky
I agree with this.

Uthrow Knee on Marth starts working at about 60 and Uthrow Knee on Sheik works at about 70. (correct me if I'm wrong, but I tested it just to make sure)

Windrose

Smash Lord
nobody is going to make that thread cuz it's common knowledge by most falcons now. if not people usually just ask and someone can just answer it.

if you really want to know for sure i'm certain 0room has it in his thread.

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
I only watched the first one and will quickly point out a couple of things. . .

- This may just be me, but I would be way more aggressive with taking the ledge after getting sheik outside the stage. Like there are a few instances where you get her off and try a funky bair or mindgame and dont accomplish anything, which would have resulted in a death had you taken the ledge right before her last several frames of being able to dj sweetspot it.
Im talking about parts like :13, 11:13. . . even at 9:01. . . As soon as I see the sheik start to drop away from the ledge to the point where a DJ cant get her on the stage anymore, I go for that ledge asap and force the upb. If i can do that, I know the timings well enough to knee her to death (or dair->knee if she's below 80 or something)
And, on that note, when you uthrow and go for the uairs off stage, while it doesnt look as cool to do, I would only uair once and immediately upb onto the ledge and force the upb again. . . . note: this isnt even something that I do 100% yet (it's hard to pass up), but when the sheik can di uairs correctly, doing a double uair only results in stuff like 2:51. Sometimes youll get away with it and youll get something like 5:19, but most of the time she'll di and douge the second hit, dj bair you, get to the ledge before you, and edgeguard ez pz. Another example is 7:54. If you look at any spot where a falcon gets a uthrow double uair offstage vs a sheik at mid-high%s, if you imagine him only uairing once and immediately upbing afterwards, the result will end up being exactly the same, assuming he doesnt messup the edgeguard. And considering that sheik is one of the easiest for falcon to edgegaurd (next to himself), messing up shouldnt be coming easy.

- going back to the sheik being able to di. When I see the sheik start to di everyone of my uair after uthrows, I would start to throw in knees to start messing her up. (im pretty sure shknees work with away di at like 40-60%)
I think you only got inward di on like 2 uthrow uairs. . . the rest sheik got away from.
Again, this is only with sheiks with competent di. . . not 100% how many of those there are in europe tho.

- This is a lot of a smaller issue: When you nair or knee their sheild, is there any reason why you dont gentlemen right after? (example 6:26)
I dont think I ever saw you do it.
And assuming good timings, it beats SGs and jumps OoS. and it can get her offstage or combo into something real well. . . and with decent spacing, you really dont put yourself in any danger, either

Other than that, I didnt see too much stuff really wrong with the play other than the obv slight misspacings, move errors, and early DJs offstage, which we all know to work on anyways. . .

I might watch the other match tomorrow if you dont mind this critique too much
or maybe just watch this one again too see if Im more tired than I thought and am missing something else.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
double uairs almost always works, assuming you do the uairs early enough, ejcombined with holding the stick far enough to the right/left
and you can see wether or not they will in time. the only reason i missed it is because i didnt hold the stick to the side enough when i jumped (i didnt go from down from the fast fall->side fast enough)
here is a good example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydUmdckI8ow
08:10
sure he didnt di down&away, just away, but with di down&away he would've been dead.

more sheiks di it correctly here in europe, its in flopmerica where fox's panic di towards the edge to get tripple downthrowed->dropzone. even players that should be experienced vs that kind of stuff, like azen, do it.

the reason i dont always go for gentlemans after knees is because the gentleman is very easy to shieldgrab, assuming they wait for it.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
thats funny cause in the match you linked, best didnt DI any of your throws away, you just chose not to cg

also, man best made like the worst decision ive ever seen when he stopped his combo to go hide in the hole on that last stock

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
nobody is going to make that thread cuz it's common knowledge by most falcons now. if not people usually just ask and someone can just answer it.

if you really want to know for sure i'm certain 0room has it in his thread.
it's not in 0rooms' thread. i checked before i posted that. might as well have a thread so we don't have to keep answering/asking the same questions in these threads.

screw it i'll make it.

D

Deleted member

0:40 every decent spacie after a stomp will tech 95% the same way like that, go out and get them

best case is to see if they either meteor cancel it and up-b again --> stomp again or see if they do that tech jump to up-b, if you see that go out there and get them pretty free

2:36 as soon as you grab the edge u can press AWAY from the edge b-air and regrab edge

8:46 i honestly would have rolled in that too but best case is to regrab again, roll if he goes for the edge (u have a lot of time due to invincibility) or up-air if he goes high

==

nice play btw, but seems like drugged was playing sorta off, maybe not. picking FD is also very manly

Nakamaru

Smash Master
remember that WD is a pretty good OOS option. I don't think I saw you use it once.
Also, uthrow -> knee on sheik is around 80-90ish (maybe 100ish?) iirc. i think you could have gone for it at some point and didn't. and then you tried it at too high of a percent here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=BhNZJjVOS_w#t=234s

Kinda tired right now otherwise I'd write some more stuff. kk must be scary to play against as a falcon
He really is scary, but not in the typical way. I just couldn't seem to stop him from pulling ahead.

And yea i need to make sure to remember about WD OOS. I thought i did it at least twice, but i guess now.

And u-throw > Knee i normally have spot on in that MU, but KK could get out everytime i knew it should hit. Going to have to revisit that one when i do some sheik training.

Overall i think i just need to figure out more options for MUs to give me more mixups, and just work on technical consistency.

S l o X

Smash Champion
2:36 as soon as you grab the edge u can press AWAY from the edge b-air and regrab edge
he was definitely too high for the drop off bair but he could have hopped back / towards him and bair / uair and regrab ledge.

dont go for bair edgeguard when they are below the stage unless your playing bad spacies who don't sweet spot.

uthrow > 90% of spacies tech behind where you were. dd (quick) > grab.

still no solution to smart spacies coming up from ledge for me. pc kip just switches it up on me every time whenever i try something.

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
nice play btw, but seems like drugged was playing sorta off, maybe not. picking FD is also very manly
Not gonna front we did friendlies and $1 mm the day before and I was getting pretty wrecked.

Thx for more edge guarding tips SlOX and s2j

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
he was definitely too high for the drop off bair but he could have hopped back / towards him and bair / uair and regrab ledge.
Yeah surprised I didnt do that, usually I like to spam that ****. Need to work on implementing the uair regrab...

D

Deleted member

dont go for bair edgeguard when they are below the stage unless your playing bad spacies who don't sweet spot.

uthrow > 90% of spacies tech behind where you were. dd (quick) > grab.

still no solution to smart spacies coming up from ledge for me. pc kip just switches it up on me every time whenever i try something.
yeah i phrased it wrong but I DEFINITELY had drop off JUMP b-air regrab in my head I ASSURE U

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
OK MIAMI TOURNEY VIDS HERE NEED CRITIQUE SO I CAN WRECK PC CHRIS IN APEX POOLS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDDBvfAAPc (Me vs Lambchops)

chops devours me with utilt->fsmash, any advice on how to avoid this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-cmDKdauEg (Me vs Zidane)

Zidane is a very talented high school kid that has quickly climbed the ranks in FL already making it onto the PR. Haven't watched this yet myself so any advice is much appreciated.

Pi

Smash Hero
vs chops
u let urself get overwhelmed, you gave him too much room to work with when you shouldn't have
don't get frustrated vs. falco, bird dies easy
focus on what he's doing while maintaining a good position on the stage, and don't slip up and get hit since he can **** you up pretty hard
look for ur 1 big punish, dair, grab, side b maybe at higher %'s?
idk how falcon follows up his pokes, but keep him guessing if u don't have solid follow ups, push him near the edge if no thing else and see how he retreats

main thing is don't get overwhelmed/frustrated cause like i said bird dies quick
idk how to play this matchup as falcon, but as samus we pretty much hide in shield and look for our 1hko on the bird

also i felt like u just assumed you were gonna get ****ed up and made bad decisions any way because u were gonna lose regardless
ur recoveries look ****ty, granted ur falcon vs. falco but idk
keep ur head about u and realize that he's just a falco who's gonna die hella early

Walt

Smash Ace
got some friendly sets recorded today, was playing really below my average during them. went 1-3 twice with a falco player and 0-2 anc 1-2 with a peach player. was being insanely impatient and messing up stuff like ledgehops constantly. one of "lost to myself" rather than "lost to the guy I was playing" days.

S l o X

Smash Champion

Zidane is a very talented high school kid that has quickly climbed the ranks in FL already making it onto the PR. Haven't watched this yet myself so any advice is much appreciated.
i was a fan until i seen these videos.

stop u-tilting. b-air / stomp edgeguards more. stop jabbing fox / falco after you miss your utilts (. . . real?) and dash dance grab more. watch hax videos, learn from how he edgeguards fox / falco. that fox is bad vs falcon son. use bair to stop / **** his approaches and bait everything.

good luck vs chris though. he's a MONSTER. he has a lot of tricks and is the best fox at recovering. edge guarding is SUPER DUPER important in the matchup so if you can't do it then you're fffff'd. good **** beating zidane btw.

0Room

Smash Lord
I'm glad this thread is still around, lol. Cool to see you guys still helping each other out.

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman

nice falcon keep up the good work

6VI6

Smash Apprentice
My set with Unknown from HOPE. Yes, I'm kinda new.

Some things that struck me were that Unknown punished my missed techs HARD. I'm pretty bad at punishing missed techs generally, so this really shocked me. Also looking back I teched towards the center pretty much every single time...

I also understand why people survival DI upairs after that first stock <.< Expected a knee that time, and then on the last stock I didn't DI because I remembered what happened before and I die.

Overall I think I got hit by sideB too much and Unknown is way faster than me. I was definitely playing like I was scared.

Any advice?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Unknown noticed that your tech skill is kinda bad and probably extrapolated that you'd miss the tech 100% of the time when you weren't expecting to get hit (or figured it out the first time you missed the tech off a random Ftilt)

After that, it's very easy to plan something nasty because you can usually tell when your opponent is surprised and Falcon is fast enough to reach you in time because no tech is tech in place but with twice the lag <_<

Until you get way faster there's not much useful advice you can really expect to get because all he's doing is running circles around you

Consider not doing an aerial when you get knocked into the air though, a lot of players will bait the falling attack and DD grab it ... mix in wavelands and just landing -> dash around

But yeah, go practice in your room some more, maybe play some people around your level and get your Falcon up to jogging speed

If you want tips on being faster ...
- learn when Falcon's earliest fastfall is - try jumping as fast as possible in place without the aerial, then add the aerial back in
- learn how to dash out of your aerials at the fastest possible rate - helps both combos and general movement
- learn how to deal with hitstun - super important!!
- beat up level 1 Marth for days

Top Bottom