• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

Walt

Smash Ace
I was playing a ganon a bunch today and I don't think I bair edgeguarded him once. pretty much just knee or run into his up-b for an on purpose walljumptech knee.

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
Another FL tourney this weekend, will try to post those matches up for more critique.
Just got ticket for Apex, and Colbol has been training me up but I still need you guys'z help.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Dashing out of aerials could be a bit faster, you do little pauses after your aerials sometimes that makes your Falcon look a little choppy

Throw yourself offstage with a knee sometimes, you always go for the onstage edgeguard which basically just loses to downward angled Firefox unless you mix in wavedash onto the ledge, which you never do. Knee also covers a lot of the different illusion spacings and you can react to them dropping down lower (Falco hardly even has that option)

When a Fox is recovering from below Battlefield with Firefox one of my favorite things is to do a fast upair -> knee - you can react to their angle because upair is fast enough and any DI they do basically means you kill them, either by edgehogging or knee (Falco's Firebird is short enough that you can usually just uptilt)

The only time I really want to do edgeguards from hanging on the ledge are when they're at a medium distance where you can't react to them angling down, so it becomes a mixup between just edgehogging (covers angle down) or getting off as they fire and doing an aerial (covers high angles). Trouble with that is they can react if you jump too soon, so be careful / refresh invincibility appropriately

I actually like hanging on the ledge when they're Firefoxing from below on a stage where they can angle the Firefox to sweetspot from below, but that situation never came up so whatever <_<

Work on covering ledgehop illusions, when you see them do it once keep it in mind - my favorite bait is short hopping then doing a big rainbow DJ stomp at where they land, or you can just run around at like midstage and just run away when you think they're going to ledgehop illusion and stomp them (staying at a good distance to pressure them when they do other options is important too though)

At high % remember that upthrow Dsmash / Fsmash are options if you don't think you can hit the knee (even though knee is way better)

Even at high % sometimes you want to DI away from Falco (shineDair and dash attack basically)

In the match vs Sheer you guess the spot dodge a bunch and miss a bunch, so that's something to work on. Simplest way to guess it is just starting a shorthop Dair / knee at the top of your shorthop (or some timing like that <_<)

You also miss some techchases on execution (either by missing or by giving them enough time to spotdodge) so tighten that up a bit

Probably missed something but whatever
Edgeguarding is probably the thing you should work on most IMO

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
wenbobular thx for the advice, I will continue working on my edgeguarding and def implement everything u just said. I have one more match im waiting to get uploaded against a pretty good campy fox I wasn't quite sure how to handle that I'll also want u to review.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Man I lost to UUAA at Pound 5 ... if I beat him I think I would've gotten into round 3 >_<

Anyways I don't have much new criticism
If you edgeguard / techchase / call spotdodges a little better I think you win this set

If you're going to edgeguard illusion on the stage use Dair

I think it came down to just missing some techchases / edgeguards when you guessed what he was doing but misspaced or mistimed something

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
ok, I now have a solid idea on what to work on, once again thx
edit: Yeah Uuaa is pretty strong, going over there right now to train w/ him and hbox lol

Windrose

Smash Lord
I agree with s2j....dark doesn't seem to know the falcon matchup too well. He misses easy edge guards and didn't get any combos on bigD at all. I 'm guessing this was a friendly though where you guys weren't playing too seriously and just trying to be flashy.

Search a fox like weon-x that's also from south america/chile. He's a much better and efficient fox compared to Dark. He's also really good at the falcon matchup.

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
omg i love janky combos
against doc wheel of fortune UAIR UAIR SOFT KNEE KNEE! OMG
it just feels too good

anyways... upon reviewing some videos the more i realize that a somewhat campy falcon is necessary to beat good opponents

such as here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMdSihQSYbs
hax plays pretty defensive/doesnt throw out **** because undoubtedly he would just get punished by a fsmash or dd grab if he threw out anything... all of his hits or like the grab that lead to the first stock all come from patience and just spacing well enough to not get hit.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Maybe to bait rising attack? Also maybe to not get hit if the gentlemen was CCed, it's to protect himself from possible upcoming attacks.

D

Deleted member

I agree with s2j....dark doesn't seem to know the falcon matchup too well. He misses easy edge guards and didn't get any combos on bigD at all. I 'm guessing this was a friendly though where you guys weren't playing too seriously and just trying to be flashy.

Search a fox like weon-x that's also from south america/chile. He's a much better and efficient fox compared to Dark. He's also really good at the falcon matchup.
yeah really impressed playing weon-x at michigan, best player noones really heard of

Windrose

Smash Lord
nice matches ryan.

things i noticed:
-you miss too many techs (at first i thought they were intentional but it doesn't seem like it) practice techs

-you don't seem to be able to gentlemen fast enough/consistently. I'm sure you know how to do it since you read the falcon boards everyday, just practice it against lvl 1 computer until you are able to do it consistently.

-you're pretty good at edge guarding marth and grabbing the ledge. you also hit stomp to knee pretty well at all percents which i wasn't able to do when i first started.

-everyone misses this once in a while but don't forget to keep an eye on the percents and know what works at what percent. sometimes you d-threw marth instead of u-throw where it would've led into a guaranteed knee. (i'm sure you know all this)

-one thing that appeared unusual to me was that your falcon "felt kind of slow" when i watched the videos. I rewatched the first match and it seems like you don't fast fall often which is pretty important for falcon as it improves his speed a lot and allows you to chain aerials to combo easier.

there are many situations where not fast falling is good for mindgames, stomping in certain situations, mix ups and other stuff (there's tons).

-also very important: don't use falcon's spot dodge!!!!! his spot dodge is really bad, stop using it.

-you use dash attack alot which some people feel is a great move and is underrated. I agree dash attack is underused and is a good surprise alot of the times but don't use dash attack at low percents. people can crouch cancel it and punish you.

====
specific things from matches
-in your match vs marth on dream land at 3:40 , you could've just sweet spotted the ledge by double jumping but you chose to wall jump and quickly up b.

That is unnecessary and generally not advised to do in that situation. you landed on the platform with lots of lag and better marths would've just killed you for doing that. Also, at the percent he was at, the up-b wouldn't have sent him really far even if you do "yes" him and he can probably come back and just hit you again.
(this point is not very important as falcon's recovery in general isn't that good so a much better goal is to focus on not getting hit off the stage so you don't need to recover)
That's all i can think of for now..

=====TL;DR====
-practice gentlemen, fast fall, teching
-keep an eye on percents,
-DON'T USE: spot dodge, dash attack when opponent is low percent.

EDIT: i still wanna play you since you're one of the few active falcon mains in toronto. I was hoping you'd come to the past a and c tournament since you live so close to it!! I talked to HAL about you. Try to come to the next one, it's on dec 10. You might have exams during that time so I understand if you can't make it.

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the tips. I flub techs alot mostly when I get hit out of an aerial which is bad obviously. and yeah improving my consistency on simple stuff is probably what I need to focus on. like simple tech just shffling and stuff like that

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
why do 2 people who live in the same city want to play each other but havent

go to his house, like tomorrow or something

no problem

my internet is too slow to watch videos right now, thats the advice i can offer though

Windrose

Smash Lord
Toronto is a big city, we're also busy with school and exams =/ I'm usually at most Toronto smashfests/tournaments though.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUL57lOLVb8
finally got some vid sup

im pretty bad and I missed alot of simple things like shffls because I had a huge headache yesterday. no jons but i slep through half the day because of it :|
What I've seen from the first match:
-You overextend out of your throws sometimes, and you get punished for it.
-You fullhop your uairs out of uthrow sometimes. I do this too, but short hops are just better in most cases.
-Keep a clear head offstage. It seems like you get nervous (Falcon offstage against Marth. Understandable), but you can't let it mess you up.

Other than that, me likey

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
toronto is not so big that thats not doable

chicago is like, 4x the size, and we did it all the time

Windrose

Smash Lord
Wait, aren't you from Chile??

And yeah i guess but ryankam never shows up to any toronto events!!!!!

Mr Postman

Smash Journeyman
I've always wanted to know why hax shields after gentlemen......
There are a bunch of ways to gentlemen so maybe he is just more consistent at doing it that way.

also, he can just wavedash out of the shield and start sprinting whenever he wants... I think

Windrose

Smash Lord
oh hm...i never thought about the wave dashing thing......but having a shield appear is slower than to just cancel it and dash i think....

Top Bottom