• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

0Room

Smash Lord
The Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread!

Going off of PP's Falco thread [found here] I've decided that we Falcon players need some support as well.

After all, controlling the dastardly hero of Captain Falcon can take some getting used to.

Guidelines to understanding and interpreting the immensity of Falcon's videos

1) Simply post 1-3 videos and ask for some critique, and please specify what you're looking for. If you're looking for general tips, please say that, or if you're looking for "what do I do in situation X, here's an example," that's fine too.

2) All readers/posters are encouraged to give their input on any given video, not just the higher-level players. There are no stupid opinions.

3) If this really takes off I'll post the certain matches that we're critiquing as a whole to the OP, and we can go from there. Otherwise post normally in the thread.

4) Tell your friends! The more people we get, the more information we have and better prepared we get as a whole.

Okay go for it!

0Room

Smash Lord
Okay first off, I wanted to say that you do three things extremely well: You really have Falcon's fluidity down, you consistently doublejump to sweet spot, and you don't make the same mistake twice. I really like watching your Falcon, and you definitely keep moving which is good. How you're moving is something we'll touch on. I also really like how you sweet spot that edge on your double jump, and don't go over it. And also, I like how at 1:46 in the second match you did a get up knee [not even nair would have hit, btw] but you didn't do it twice in a row so good job man :]

But unfortunately we're here to talk about the things you did wrong, not right :/ But I just wanted to point out you're doing extremely well so far, and don't feel bad about getting outmatched! IVP looks really good from these videos. But on to the critique.

1) You really need to work on your low% game. When fox is -20%, you should NOT be attacking. He will crouch cancel everything into a shine and combo you from there, as you saw in these two videos. Some examples are this, this, and this. You need to space bairs [like you did here], do knees->grab [practice it if you can't get it yet] or do grabs. But do NOT do Nairs, Dairs, or jabs [even gentleman] at this percent. Dairs after 20% are fine, he can't CC that. But if you engage Fox at low percents with moves, Fox will win that battle every time.

2) Be more involved in your edgeguarding. It's something that's so so important, and a lot of people don't really realize how important. Here, you really just sat back and let him recover. So either A) get out there, drop and Bair [scary as hell, but awesome if you get it] or B) stand there and utilt him. I saw you did utilt a few times, but that's more a discussion for a different time. But in this specific situation, utilt would have covered all of his options if you were standing right next to the ledge. Just remember this when fighting Fox: he has a 60 frame start up time. That's a whole second. So get out there and hit him!

3) Take control of the match! You really let Fox run all over you, and you were doing what I told Mike Haggard not to do yesterday: Don't fight Fox blow for blow. You can't win a one on one brawl, you have to grab him to death. You really didn't do a lot of grabs in these matches, and if you really start DDing->grab you'll enjoy a lot more success in this match up. You have to keep up the DD, keep your opponent guessing, keep him off balance. You did that pretty well, but you have to add the grabs to throw him off. The second he gets his footing it's over for Falcon, and we don't want that.

4) Option Select. This is something that I'm working on with my friends at ASU, Option Select is a really simple concept of picking the best option for the situation. This is usually pretty easy, but when there are two conflicting options, one of which is better usually but not here, it can get a bit muddy. For example, here, you did a utilt. While most of the time, utilt absolutely wrecks Fox's recovery, against an illusion, a dtilt would have been a lot better. So let me give you some general guidelines. 1) A Fox tries to illusion sweet spot the edge. A- dtilt->knee/uair. 2) A Fox illusions at your face. A- Grab->tech chase->knee / dropzone->knee. 3) A Fox uses Firefox A) Get out there and hit him!/utilt/knee [not advised]/grab the ledge [depending how far down he is].
Now you used utilt here, but timed it wrong. Be sure to work with that utilt and get it's timing. I remember by counting "1, 2," then do the move. You have to wait until about halfway through the charge to hit it. But where he was, you could have just as easily ran out and uaired/kneed him! So remember that as well :]

5) Punish him for habits. here, and here, he uses his shine to change his recovery time. Now I don't really think that it's a good idea to go down and attack him, as Fox would most likely **** you, but try to think of a way to punish him for that. Maybe a falldown->bair, but idk about that. But also, he really likes to tech away when you dthrow him. here, and here are examples, and you caught those, so good job. But be sure to absolutely wreck him any time he does a mistake. That is extremely important.

6) Spacing. This is one of the hardest things to work on, as it just becomes natural. But Here, you overshot the spacing and got hit by the fire of the FF. If you hadn't gone as far, that Bair would have wrecked him. Here, if you had jumped straight up, he would have misspaced and you could have got him with that. Like I said, it's really hard to keep track of all of that, and it'll come naturally, but be sure to work on that if you can.
Also, you just kind of throw out moves, and that actually leaves you vulnerable when you land, even with L cancelling. We don't want any kind of weakness showing, so try to cut down on that a bit. For example, here, there really wasn't a reason for a Nair. So try to cut down on that extra fluff that could potentially get you hit.

Alright, I think that's about it, if I think of anything else I'll be sure to add it. I hope you learned a lot from this and continue to work on that Falcon! When you come back and beat him, be sure to link me that video so I can watch it and laugh along with you.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Thanks for some well-needed perspectives :)

N00by players have pretty much conditioned me to people always spotdodging whenever I run up to them, so approaching and punishing with grabs feels kind of awkward to me. Now that I'm good enough to **** people for being predictable I should be grabbing a lot more though...

Looking back at the matches it feels like we both have the same idea of what I need to work on, and while I don't want to john too much about it, my punishes were pretty crappy in this set :p

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master

0Room

Smash Lord
Thanks for some well-needed perspectives :)

N00by players have pretty much conditioned me to people always spotdodging whenever I run up to them, so approaching and punishing with grabs feels kind of awkward to me. Now that I'm good enough to **** people for being predictable I should be grabbing a lot more though...

Looking back at the matches it feels like we both have the same idea of what I need to work on, and while I don't want to john too much about it, my punishes were pretty crappy in this set :p
Dude it's cool. Like I said you're really good and I really like your Falcon, it's just that you need to be more [intelligently] aggressive and punish more. Soon enough you'll be making IVP cry.

0Room

Smash Lord
Well J00t, I can honestly say that you lost because you didn't grab. Here was literally the focal point of the match, and had you dthrow-> knee, you could have taken momentum of the match gotten that kill easily. Instead you got 76% out of that life, when you really didn't need to.

So to be honest your Falcon's pretty amazing, I love your spacing and mindgames, but two things:

1) Take control of the match. You really need to start grabbing and taking control of the match, instead of doing the combos like you've been doing. Now I'm not saying that you shouldn't combo, you should [and you did, very well I might add], but you simply did not grab enough. And I think Dthrow>uthrow against Samus, but you know more than I do about this probably. I know you can always dthrow->uair though. I don't like how Samus slides out of nairs.

2) Stop putting yourself in terrible situations!!! STOP IT
STOP
STOP
STOP
STOP KILLING YOURSELFFFFFFFFFFFFF
The only times you died in the first match was because you SD'd! SO STOP

You went in too far.

Do not get greedy and don't run out there uselessly. You're Falcon and I don't think you understand what that means
One mistake=death
So stopppppppppppppppp

Other than that you did freaking amazing
Good job

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
You could have won that set if you had just done safe edge guards rather than trying to ledgehop stomp him over and over. xD

0Room

Smash Lord
You could have won that set if you had just done safe edge guards rather than trying to ledgehop stomp him over and over. xD
I personally really liked them
I think he did fine

Also J00t
IHSB is in my pool :'''''''''''''''''''(

j00t

Smash Champion
Well J00t, I can honestly say that you lost because you didn't grab. Here was literally the focal point of the match, and had you dthrow-> knee, you could have taken momentum of the match gotten that kill easily. Instead you got 76% out of that life, when you really didn't need to.

So to be honest your Falcon's pretty amazing, I love your spacing and mindgames, but two things:

1) Take control of the match. You really need to start grabbing and taking control of the match, instead of doing the combos like you've been doing. Now I'm not saying that you shouldn't combo, you should [and you did, very well I might add], but you simply did not grab enough. And I think Dthrow>uthrow against Samus, but you know more than I do about this probably. I know you can always dthrow->uair though. I don't like how Samus slides out of nairs.

2) Stop putting yourself in terrible situations!!! STOP IT
STOP
STOP
STOP
STOP KILLING YOURSELFFFFFFFFFFFFF
The only times you died in the first match was because you SD'd! SO STOP

You went in too far.

Do not get greedy and don't run out there uselessly. You're Falcon and I don't think you understand what that means
One mistake=death
So stopppppppppppppppp

Other than that you did freaking amazing
Good job
Yeah, I know that I can't edgeguard for poop and that I put myself in terrible positions a lot. :p

Your grab comment is interesting. When I'm fighting Samus, grabbing is not the first thing on my mind because it doesn't really lead to anything rewarding, IMO. And if she punishes you with an uptilt then oh my gawd >_> the pain comes in

But thanks for the critique and the complements. I'll take what you said to heart and **** face next time :p

0Room

Smash Lord
Yeah, I know that I can't edgeguard for poop and that I put myself in terrible positions a lot. :p

Your grab comment is interesting. When I'm fighting Samus, grabbing is not the first thing on my mind because it doesn't really lead to anything rewarding, IMO. And if she punishes you with an uptilt then oh my gawd >_> the pain comes in

But thanks for the critique and the complements. I'll take what you said to heart and **** face next time :p
Yeah. Well I say grabbing as more of a way to take control of the match.
Your game is VERY momentum based, and if you take control of the match you really take off.

Grabbing is just one of the only ways to guaruntee that you're going to take control of it.
But yeah I played a few Samuses today and I realized the same thing :/

So Maybe figure out a way to take control without grabbing? Just slow down, back up, and get some time to yourself? idk.
I feel like there has to be a link for grab->knee

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
need advice vs ic's
me vs smasher89, money match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvaih5nnA2c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-wnS7dwbag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIW9ZmJU9MM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akH5_kUgcm8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToRCDbzNuiI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rKi2rv6VQY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAIJ9Pm4L38

a big problem i have with the matchup is that i build lots of my game vs other characters around dash dance grabbing people, but it doesnt work vs ics when theyre 2 cuz the other one will just punish you when you grab the other, and cf doesnt have a fast move to replace grab with (like fox does with shffl nair/dair for example). so my usual movement patterns that are basically built around getting grabs doesnt work.

i just feel like im spamming random moves and it works decently because, with all due respect to smasher89, he is pretty terrible vs cf. sometimes i try to try out to do stuff youre supposed to do in the matchup, like platforming camping and spamming side b, but then i just forget about it and go back to spamming random moves lol.

im also not sure on what stages are actually good/bad, and how i should abuse the advantages/avoid the disadvantages of those stages. what should i counterpick or ban? (if bans are on, theyve been off at the latest swedish tournaments)

i need a much more coherent and aware game vs ic's and advice on how to develop one. what should i do, what should i be going for and what should i try to make my opponent do?

0Room

Smash Lord
Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and tell you some things before I even watch the videos
Patience is key. Actually, patience is key in a lot of Falcon's MUs, just for some reason no one realizes that.

Anyway
Knees ****
Sideb ***** [for once!]
Grabs do not ****.

Don't you dare go FD
Unless you wanna get chaingrabbed for the rest of your life [however short it may be]
I mean just watch Azen's Falcon vs Chu [I think]. It should really give you an idea of how gay to play.

I'll watch the videos in the morning.

0Room

Smash Lord
After rewatching the Azen video, I'm determined a few things

Knee is safe on shield
Sideb is safe on shield
Dsmash beats out ICs Side b recovery.

Ironically that's about all you need to know.
After it's SoPo, you can dthrow->knee around 60-80 if they don't DI away.
It really is that easy.

However I still believe a pocketfox is much easier in this match up.
Watching your matches, like you said you don't know how to play this MU, and so I'm just gonna say one or two things that you need to do.

1) Don't attack just one of them. If you do, attack Popo.
If you're just comboing Nana, Popo's going to attack you, but not so much the other way around.
Here's a youtube comment that sums up this:
Vulpine7 said:
After watching a bunch of these vids, I'm finding that the "go after Nana" strategy is actually not a good idea. Because Popo is trying to attck you while you combo Nana, but not vice-versa, it seems like a kill Nana strategy essentially forces you to three-stock your opponent, while a kill Popo strategy forces you to simply defeat a much more difficult opponent.
So just remember, if you kill Popo, Nana disappears.
But if you kill Nana, Popo's still there.

2) Dsmash ICs side b recovery. Take it head on. You'll win.

3) Spam knees not bair.
Well, spam isn't the correct term. Don't just throw them out there.
Have a reason behind it. Don't just completely go for it, you may get WDOOS grabbed if you're super predictable about it [don't quote me on that I don't know if it works or not, but even so]
Knee intelligently
A lot.

Uh other than that just follow the three golden rules
Sideb
Knee
Don't get grabbed.

And you're good.
If you get grabbed though it's literally over. So don't get grabbed.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Don't get comfortable spamming side-b just because it might be safe on shield :| (shield grabbable with shield DI I believe) ... there are plenty of ways to get around side-b

Runoff DJ Uair until you can knee SoPo isn't a bad edgeguard if they're coming from level I think ... although maybe the ICs I'm playing doesn't survival well enough

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
whats the most effective way to gimp nana when you separate them and have time?
i havent fully figured out when she double jumps back to the stage. but since its a computer it should 100% predictable. when does she usually do it and whats the best way to kill her quickly when she does this?

Walt

Smash Ace
The nice thing about going after nana is you force popo to approach or lose nana. Splitting and then running after nana and watching to see if you can just pivot knee/grab popo or continue to hunt down nana is both demoralizing and effective. At least this is what I was doing last time I played an ICs. My experience in the matchup is lacking.

0Room

Smash Lord
whats the most effective way to gimp nana when you separate them and have time?
i havent fully figured out when she double jumps back to the stage. but since its a computer it should 100% predictable. when does she usually do it and whats the best way to kill her quickly when she does this?
utilt, ftilt down imo
It's fast and accurate

also how'd you get banned?

The nice thing about going after nana is you force popo to approach or lose nana. Splitting and then running after nana and watching to see if you can just pivot knee/grab popo or continue to hunt down nana is both demoralizing and effective. At least this is what I was doing last time I played an ICs. My experience in the matchup is lacking.
I think a lot of people are lacking in this match up.
It's not a common one.

GK_

Smash Rookie
I was banned because i said SW sucks in Darks tech skill video lol.
-MikeHaggar on GK's account

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Yeah man
You just spam aerials on their shield from the front and they can't do ANYTHING to punish you
Just ask ChivalRuse
He will vouch for Luigi's brokenness in that matchup anyday

(:troll:)

I'm not being totally serious
But he thinks that matchup is dumb (he also loses to MDs 2 Luigi players so ... ~_~)

0Room

Smash Lord
Dude Ganon Falcon
So much fun

uthrow-knee
so ****

Ganon has some great combos too.

Skeletom

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsSxkS-LJeE

keep in mind this is my second tourney, i haven't placed yet (well, not in singles anyway) and i'm playing one of the best in melbourne.
i'm after general tips.
i found my main problem with this fox was his dd to grab and i would just run straight into it.
i might upload a vid of me playing a shiek sometime in the next couple of weeks.
Any help is MUCH appreciated.

J_Noodles

Smash Cadet
Skeletom, I noticed that you always approach wildly and at the wrong times. You can approach when he messes up something, but you should mostly be waiting for the opponent to approach, as falcon's approaches aren't safe in general. Grabs are essential against fox, because as stated earlier, falcon can't go head on against fox. If you manage to get a nair, go for a grab. If he starts predicting you'll grab after nair, just run away and then punish/grab his spotdodge/shield.
I also noticed that your opponent always teched your d-throw away at low percents. You never seemed to catch on with this. When he techs away, you can get another grab.
So DD camp-grab-techchase. Capitalize on his mistakes as much as possible. Observe his tech-patterns first, then you can get the stomp-knee punish at moderate-high percents.

J_Noodles

Smash Cadet
Also another thing to mention is to always try to keep the pressure on fox. You were letting fox run circles around you.

Skeletom

Smash Journeyman
you can actually see that in the second match i adapt and don't approach nearly as badly and i do try to keep pressure on as much as i can without being stupid.
but yeah, i think the main message i'm getting is don't approach just capitalize.
Got a monthly coming up so i'll probably chuck up some vids and come back for some help again.

D

Deleted member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsSxkS-LJeE

keep in mind this is my second tourney, i haven't placed yet (well, not in singles anyway) and i'm playing one of the best in melbourne.
i'm after general tips.
i found my main problem with this fox was his dd to grab and i would just run straight into it.
i might upload a vid of me playing a shiek sometime in the next couple of weeks.
Any help is MUCH appreciated.
your main problem isn't what the fox is doing

what you lack is tech skill and game knowledge

tech skill in that half the moves you do you don't do optimally/ mess it up completely/ don't l-cancel. basically you aren't accurate/ fluid enough with your moves and movements

in terms of game knowledge, double jumping really quick vs fox and simply falling back on top of him isn't that great. It's especially bad at high percents

you always double jump aerial attack when recovering, not bad once in a while but very easily countered. Sometimes you just have to double jump sweetspot the ledge

you always ledge attack

You often try to b-air him where he is standing and don't account for where he's going to go next

you make bad approaches like double jump really fast to falling b-air

so

just work on tech skill/ learning the game/ and mixing it up. Change it up if something isn't working. This fox is more of a counter attacker and will simply keep hitting you for making bad approaches

not sure if i've seen you grab much either

once you learn basic stuff, you can get into the more subtle parts about smash

--

also, with carefully spaced n-air spam

i think falcon can fight fox almost on even grounds

thats just my opinion though

Skeletom

Smash Journeyman
looks like i've got a lot to learn/reinforce.
thanks for the detailed analysis and advice.
i'll be attending monthlies from now on so i'll have a lot of time to practice.

J_Noodles

Smash Cadet
Monthlies are great ways to practice. Just make sure you get matches with a lot of different people.

Skeletom

Smash Journeyman
i try my best to play my worst match ups the most. the only problem is we only have one shiek main here in melbourne and i don't really get along/like him all that much :\ (and he plays IC's!)

edit: tech skill in terms of l-cancelling is fine but i need to be able to perform while under pressure.

J_Noodles

Smash Cadet
Yes, getting your tech skill down when under pressure is extremely important, because if you plan on going to places with crowds, you'll be pressured quite a bit, and might perform under-par. I learned this the hard-way at my first smashfest.

Skeletom

Smash Journeyman
it was funny, i placed second in doubles (teaming with one of the best in oz). the pressure of playing against a team consisting of two of the better players in Vic actually made me play better (albeit one major **** up) and then in a friendly i stress out.

0Room

Smash Lord
Okay I'm back guys. Sorry for that, I was dealing with smash burnout after Pound.
After taking a quick look at the video, I'm gonna go ahead and agree with S2J. Tech skill is your main enemy here, and you need to work on that. Which is totally fine, everyone has tech skill problems at one point, especially when they go to tournaments. I know I personally had the jitters to the extreme at Pound. It's just one of those things that has to be worked on through time.
Also, when you hit with a weakknee, do a uair instead of another knee. It's more likely to hit.

Also you did an usmash at 4:30 and it really would have been a better option to knee.
you have to understand that smash is a game of option select. You have to select the option that will do the most damage at the least risk to you.

Going off of that, being aggressive offstage vs spacies is something that I've really said to everyone. 5:40 you wrecked him offstage with a knee, which was great. But earlier when he was offstage doing his upB, you really need to get out there with a bair/dair[not really advised]/knee[also not advised because of the angle he was at to you]/and uair [generally your best option]. He has a ridiculous amount of time for his upb to charge, easily long enough for you to get out there and wreck him. So do so! don't be afraid, he can't hurt you unless you get too close!

Hope I helped! Make sure you link the time when you beat him, because I'm sure you can with a little practice ;]

Skeletom

Smash Journeyman
cheers dude, you helped a lot.
also, everytime i watch that soft knee i cringe cos i knew i should've uair'd after.
i will definitely link that once it happens. and i know it will happen with enough tourney practice.

Top Bottom