• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Captain Falcon Video Critique Thread

6VI6

Smash Apprentice
Most of the times I missed a tech was on purpose to avoid a tech-chase grab, but yeah, guess I'm not doing that anymore if it's so easy to punish...

Yeah, I expected not to get much advice from a video where I'm being annihilated, but this is the only video I have right now.

What do you mean by "learn how to deal with hitstun"?

Thanks for the tips.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Coincidentally the techs you miss are the techs that lots of people miss naturally ... you have to miss techs sometimes, but those aren't really the ones you want to be missing

Learning to deal with hitlag was a problem I used to have when I would miss fastfalls and Lcancels because I wouldn't expect to hit them with my move ... if you don't have that problem that's great, but I still have some problems fastfalling Bairs through hitlag and I feel like it's a common problem for newer players (or maybe I just suck ~_~)

I meant to say hitlag instead of hitstun <_<

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
to further clarify on wenbo's point on hitlag, an example would be the big difference in timing for l-cancels if you fox dair someone's shield as opposed to whiffing or hitting them. I have a tendency to **** this up with knee->gentleman or knee->grab on shield, missing the l-cancel badly enough that it gets me shield grabbed.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Yeah, the hitlag can mess you up sometimes. I mess up L-cancels or forget to fastfall sometimes and it gets me punished pretty hard. For me, it's usually a stomp that I fail to FF or when I mess up the L-cancel after hitting my opponent with a knee or something. You get used to the timing, it just takes some practice and sometimes you have to remind yourself about it if you mess it up.

6VI6

Smash Apprentice
Oh, hitlag. I am aware of that, I don't think I have any problems with that. I take L-cancelling for granted when I play, I don't think I had a problem with that in these games, but feel free to call me out on this.

Also finally caught that ftilt you were talking about Wenbobular, you're right that must have caught me by surprise. Most of the other missed techs were intentional though.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Need help with peach matchup:

-for a while now, I've been having big problems with the peach matchup. I have very little experience in this matchup and I am very scared against peach.

-there aren't any footages on youtube other than this semi old video from the Big House tournament.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnlsLpsomg0

Nothing critical has changed in my peach matchup since that video though...I started using up throws a bit more at early percents and I try to do that up throw knee @ 40 thing which i read somewhere in 0room's thread but it seems to only work against bad people others wiggle out and nair my ***. so i just uair instead.

-I know I have a lot of tech skill inconsistencies in that video and it costed me stocks but I'd prefer more comments on like...decision and strategy things I'm doing wrong. I am very afraid of peach's: float cancel aerials, dash attack, downsmash and cc. I don't know how to challenge or deal with these things to get that grab to start comboing and getting the down throw knee.

-I am also very bad at hitting the down throw knee in this matchup...I find it's a lot harder than puff, marth (~above 100), and etc.

TL;DR

what am i supposed to do vs peach????
help

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Camp the crap out of peach. As soon as she goes airborne, start spamming uairs as she has no good response to them. On the ground, go for grabs and use nairs, bairs and stomps to keep her away.

Some staple combos:
Low percent:
Dthrow -> running uair -> grab
Dthrow -> nair
Uthrow -> uair

Mid percent:
Dthrow -> uair x times -> knee

High percent:
Dthrow -> Knee

To me the matchup isn't any more complicated than that LOL

Windrose

Smash Lord
so like a rising up air to challenge her float-cancel fairs? I have a hard time dealing with peache's retreating aerials or "fake approaching" fairs. I find it harder to get a grab on her compared to like...marth so it's hard to get those grab combos going that you describe.

I like punishing her whiffed/shielded dash attacks but it's hard to get good peaches to do that as they only seem to dash attack when I jump which I always get caught by based on memories from recent peach matches.

What am I doing wrong in my video above? did i do enough camping?

Wolfy!

Indecisive
The Peach matchup is one I have a lot of experience with.

There are certain key things to remember, such as:

Don't jump into Dsmash on platforms
DD camp a lot and be smart about approaching
A non-fastfalled stomp can hit Peach in her Dsmash without you getting hit by her Dsmash
Nairs are really good in this matchup
Dthrow > Uair > Regrab is really good if you can get the grab

Off of throws, you can regrab at 0% with no DI, or nair at DI in. You can also uair to regrab, which is always cool looking and leads into more grabs > combos.
If she dash attacks, shield it and grab, pretty simple.
When Peach is floating, be patient, she's probably going to float cancel a fair or nair and try to grab you if you shield the hit.

Uh... what else... sometimes I do things like reverse knee OoS when she Dsmashes my shield with my back to her (don't know how reliable that is, though). Shield DI helps to put you in position for shield grabs if you're facing her, or you can do an aerial OoS, too.
Stomp > knee works at mid percents and can kill if close enough to one side.
Dthrow > knee works at about 100 and shouldn't be hard to hit. If they DI in, just jump straight up and knee, no DI just jump forward and knee, and if they DI down and away, you most likely won't be able to hit it (Well, I suck at it, at least. You hit it in the video, so good job. ^_^)
When Peach is on a platform, be patient, as she might Dsmash when it looks like she's vulnerable. (depends on the Peach, though)

Um... that's all I can remember right now.

Oh, also, you (supposedly) can Smash DI the dair to prevent from getting sucked up into Peach's nair.
There were also some times in the second match where you could have uair'ed or waited for the tech rather than tried to regrab Peach at ~70% with DI away.

Windrose

Smash Lord
EDIT: ok i'm taking notes.

I was told that you can just hold away or down or down+away if she dairs you to prevent getting sucked into the nair...

I never thought about tech chase regrabbing peach if she di's away on the down throw.....

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Hmm... maybe I'm wrong on the SDI the dair thing, but I remember 0Room saying something about that...

Yeah, at 4:08 you probably could have done a late uair and caught her with it. Or if she's at a lower percent, I believe you can chase her techs if she DI's away (not entirely sure about that, sorry. Maybe I 'm thinking of Marth. @_@).

EDIT: Derp, it does work on Peach cuz you did it at 5:20.

Windrose

Smash Lord
EDIT: Derp, it does work on Peach cuz you did it at 5:20.

Oh yeah...I don't even remember doing that. That's probably just something that came out of habits and I did it without thinking. It's not one of those things that I am intentionally looking for in the peach match up. :S

EDIT: what are some ways to bait a dash attack so I can punish it with a shieldgrab or something else?

I feel peaches only use their dash attack to counter falcon's jump, or in comboing/tech chasing falcon.

Wolfy!

Indecisive
Unfortunately, I suck at baiting the dash attack, but it's possible that a feint SHFF waveland back might be able to trick them into dash attacking and then you can just run up and grab them or knee them or w/e. Maybe a SHFF and then just shield if they're just far enough away would work, too? Not sure. This is one of those areas that I need work on, too. :/

ALSO, jumping out of shield vs. Peach can really suck. She'll most likely jab you and then do other uncool stuff. Rolling is usually a good option vs. Peach cus she's usually too slow to get you from a roll.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
i don't know what you're talking about windrose. i didn't see you miss a single dthrow knee except for a few where you accidentally fullhopped.

Windrose

Smash Lord
i don't know what you're talking about windrose. i didn't see you miss a single dthrow knee except for a few where you accidentally fullhopped.
i didn't "accidentally" full hop. I did it on purpose cuz previous peaches I've played DI'd like that. I find it's pretty hard to hit d-throw knee even though everyone says it's supposed to be "free". When I practice d-throw knee against computers, they rarely DI down and away on the throw.

Does anyone else get this annoying problem where you d-throw and go for the knee but it becomes a soft knee cuz the opponent DI'd really well down and away on the throw?? that happens to me quite often against peach.

CrossfadingRage

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone, pretty much a new Falcon here. Later tonight I'm going to YoshQ's to play him and he said he would record them so hopefully I can get some vids on here so you guys can critique. Just hoping I dont play like garbage.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
Ok everyone. This is a friendlies set between YoshQ and I. I didn't play as well as I could, I missed a lot of knee opportunities and was just playing poorly overall. I'll record another set sometime, hopefully when I'm the best I can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w-vyav8Mzg
Bro, you don't need to john about bad days. We all have them, and they suck. Falcon's too technically demanding (Precision-wise, anyway) to be on all the time

Plus Marth and Falco are gay.

Try and be more on point with your wavelands. Stop spotdodging out of shield, it doesn't get you anywhere and his spot dodge blows. Don't roll so much in general. For the most part it looks like you don't really have a goal when you're fighting Marth. You just kind of throw out aerials and hope they land. You need to always think against Marth. He and Falcon are similar in that they are never where you think they're going to be.

Against Marth you want to grab him the INSTANT he lands from an aerial (Be careful about retreating aerials, but I'm pretty sure you can still get him), which you seem to do really well when you want to. You just need to focus on it more.

One thing you REALLY need to work on it following up your aerials. It looks like you get a hit but have no idea where they're going to be afterward. One thing that might help you with this is to work on your upairs. Late and early upairs are really useful.

Late Upairs:
The hitbox for uair comes out at about horizontal. It's useful for reacting to missed techs and continuing combos that you wouldn't be able to pick up otherwise. A good example of when you could use it is in a situation like 5:09. After the dthrow, you naired, which might have hit Marth's missed tech and didn't even cover the tech in place (Although it would have if you hadn't SHFFLed it). Instead you could have short hopped and then reacted to his tech in place with a uair, which would then possibly set you up for a knee.

Early Upairs:
Early upair is a little tough to do. Upair can come out fast enough that it hits a Fox's missed tech, but to do this with c-stick is really hard (Unless you're in shield, but I won't go into that right now). Using z or a and tilting the analog stick up slightly but not enough to double jump, you can do an uair nearly instantly out of your short hop. Against Marth I find it a great tool because of how late nair comes out. Marth can't duck under an early uair, and he gets combo'd hard by uairs.

Basically, you need to get a better grasp on how your aerials flow together. Work on comboing level 4 cpus (Apparently they have somewhat human DI's). Focus on follow ups. Watch Falcon videos, even combo videos if you'd like, although some of them are a little bit of a reach to rely on. You have nice movement, and you remind me of me a few months ago, so I would recommend watching Jeapie. He has a playstyle that really fits a player who likes to move smoothly and he combos pretty well. Also watch Silentspectre and Hax, because they really understand how to control the character.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and LEARN WHEN TO KNEE. You don't do it nearly enough, and there are tons of times when you could have gotten one but didn't.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I hope you're not getting that level 7 DI is somewhat human from that how to play vid that cropped up here a while ago, that video was pretty miserable .... just beat up on level 1s because they just neutral DI everything <_<

When you're faster the moves flow easily because it doesn't really matter which one you use on a Marth ~_~ just make sure to run out of your aerials ASAP

Also stop DIing in all the time vs Marth, he has no scary aerial finisher (except for aerial reverse up-b I guess <_<)

Coming down from the air with a move is usually asking to get punished, mix in waveland and just landing, or if platforms are available, jump to one of those

Stop trying to challenge Marth's Nair - side-b or DD grab ... the timing is a little tight but this Marth isn't even doing good autocancels to make it harder for you

Instant Uairs I do with A and up on the control stick

CrossfadingRage

Smash Apprentice
Alright, thanks for all of the feedback so far guys.

We played another set today, and YoshQ went through his three characters this time. I did a lot better than I did last night. Hopefully the vids will get put up sometime soon.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
I hope you're not getting that level 7 DI is somewhat human from that how to play vid that cropped up here a while ago, that video was pretty miserable
No idea where I got it, I just remember being told that. I removed it. Level 4s I'm pretty sure I heard from m2k, though.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Yeah, for chaingrabbing haha
If you're just beating up a Marth with aerials just do level 1s

D

Deleted member

i'd help out but i know nothing/ refuse to play gay/teach others to play gay about the marth matchup

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Tsk, no way! You are amazing! lol. I'll try to pick it apart in a few mins. I'll also try to do it in a way where you can get punished all the time.

0:08 - Careful with your Double Jump especially above Marth, you do not want to get juggled to death ever with aerials.

0:12 - Ok so he one hit Nair you into Fthrow and then tried to throw you again.. if you can expect a grab, instead of dodging which was decent anyhow only at this point.. you can counter-attack with a in-place Dair at very low % or Side-B to get an auto-spacing which will make the grab whiff however I only recommend doing that when he's at higher % and also very rarely too. Though you did get a grab, downthrow ->> Nair ok.. but then I guess you messed up the follow up. I'd say another Nair could be good or if he's too high for Nair then upair.

0:14 - Good DI on Fair.

0:18 - It's always good to back off from the Nair away and then turn back right away and knee him in the face or uair just above the nair. I use Bair too sometimes. If you can't get enough room, you can shield-grab if he miss spaces it. If he overshoots Nair, then you have no choice but to dash away out of shield or WD OOS.

0:26 - Probably should of upaired, but Bair seemed to work ok since he remained on the platform. After the bair, he jumped, you could've taken another opportunity to hit him again before he could of done anything. It's extremely good to punish DJs.

0:29 - He was already in the position to punish inside roll, careful. =P

0:33 - Good Dair to punish Fsmash but then nothing came out of it.. probably messed up again? Or mistimed uair? In this case, there's probably lots of things you could've of done but if you miss, don't go on the platform it's kinda risky.

0:38 - Custom combo from Marth lol.

0:40 - You gotta be much faster to get your invincibility, he could've of punished you at least 3 times.

0:42 - Do not DJ when you are close to off-stage, really be careful with that, you don't want to get hit because if you do, again you have no jumps and it will be hard to recover or you'll just die faster. And also the ledge jump.. well that happens to everyone but make sure to practice the input to not do that often. Also, I don't recommend going on the platform when Marth is below.

0:48 - Instead of Bair, you can backjump dair to get better reward since downsmash is really laggy.. plenty of time to do that.

0:50 - When he faired at that height, you could've of counter-attacked Bair from the ledge since he missed you before he fastfalled.

0:52 - Decent trade but try to use an attack that will counter Nair, like bair or knee to send him off-stage again.

0:55 - Omg.. careful!!!!

0:59 - Don't be afraid to grab the ledge or use the light shield to get on the ledge after he swings at you. If you do that, then you'll get a free edgeguard most likely. If he decides to go on-stage, then you can ledgehop knee or something.

1:03 - If he spaces Nair like that on your shield then you can perhaps challenge him with an upair, nair or knee.. after the attack. But you should not have shielded there in the first place.

I'll continue in a bit.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
Rage, you look way better in the second one. You still seem to have a little trouble following up your upairs, but overall better. I have like, 0 minutes to get the bus, so I'll critique later.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Guys!! don't forget about my video =(

I am still looking for lots of critique from everyone else to help me improve.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Tsk, even I'm afraid to give advice as Falcon but you should be able to do it. You aren't top 10-15 in the world for no reason, you must KNOW something!!

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Haha Windrose, I'd critique but I'm godawful vs Peach -_-
After almost blowing a 3-1 stock lead vs Peach I just said screw it and went Falco on FD because he wasn't very good so I figured he wouldn't be able to deal with lasers / shield pressure <_<

I'll try if no one else does at some point

S l o X

Smash Champion
stop forcing aerial approaches vs peach @ low percents. especially over extending them. she's just going to cc dsmash for days. (so many missed sh knees)

the peach was trying to approach a LOT. let her and then punish her for it. she missed a dash attack? punish. (literally anything works here) nair approach? move outside of range and grab. (she might go for a dsmash. just take notes of habits really)

etc . . . non-fast falled nairs block out her aerial approaches. be smart with them. dash dance isn't always good in the neutral game. use it more as a mix up.

lol edit: srsly stop dash dancing. you just get hit. try not to shield so much. when you are in shield: bair oos / nair / wavedash oos. don't fast fall the nair if you do do it oos. wavedashing oos = very helpful.

low % dthrows: good peachs will di away. in that case, go for the tech chase. it's deceptive as **** and if you don't play against peach much you kind of just rage at it because you think you can uair them. it's like that for marth too. go for more uairs off of grabs instead of immediate knees and practice d-throw follow ups. i'm sure there are %s where uthrow > knee works but idk them sry.

Windrose

Smash Lord
...uthrow knee is an actual guaranteed thing on peach??? i thought that only works if they're dumb/di poorly/ don't wiggle out/don't buffer nair?

i remember some falcon recommended to use "uthrow knee @40" and 90% of peaches don't expect this or something....i don't know if i just spilled some beans here or w/e but i tried that and i think it only worked once against a decent peach...

=====

thanks slox i'm taking notes. i thought i shouldn't use nair..but non fast falled nair sometimes is okay?

EDIT: so what do I do if I don't dash dance in this matchup? mix in jumps and double jumps? tomahawks?

D

Deleted member

watching the windrose match, i'm not sure how to go about it

There's a lot of parts where its clear u just messed up or you were slightly lacking in fundamentals, should I still point out those types of mistakes?

another difference is my style vs peach is different, i don't really dash dance as much, i try to play more pressure-based. I feel that either style could work

I think i'll just call out mistakes as I see them,

i am going to go drink some **** tonight brb

Windrose

Smash Lord
watching the windrose match, i'm not sure how to go about it

There's a lot of parts where its clear u just messed up or you were slightly lacking in fundamentals, should I still point out those types of mistakes?

another difference is my style vs peach is different, i don't really dash dance as much, i try to play more pressure-based. I feel that either style could work

I think i'll just call out mistakes as I see them,
Yeah sure, whatever you think is appropriate. Of the things you said are just messing up mistakes/fundamentals lacking; only some of them might be obvious/ made known to me.

Top Bottom