• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C3 - Ashburn, VA - Nov 22, 08 - ECRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
this is brawl right?

(just realized first post doesnt specify)

but yea, i actually really wana come, so if by the end of today, someoen could tell me if i could get a pick up, and from which airport, and housing for friday/saturday nights. i'd greatly appreciate it.
(plank if ur goin to this it'd be great if u could again, since i kno u a lil better than most others anyways)

but yea, im commin in from FL, i need rides/place to stay, i can pay gas and such.

lemme know as soon as u can, PM me, perfered, or IM me on aim- Seibrik

thanks!
i totalled my car =(

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
=*_*=

C3 will never lower their prices. Like all businesses, their main goal is to make profit.

The venue owner doesn't profit from singles and teams entry fee. no reason for those prices to be that high for a 1 day tourney. if i don't see a post from tope, there's a very high chance i won't go

Only thing we can do is to help support the fan-run tournies like chu/hat/deez/umbc etc.

yup

g-regulate

Smash Hero
C3 Information Everyone Should Read!!!!

ill post for tope to clear anything up.

The venue fee is $10, the exact same venue fee as the Cyberden everyone knows and loves. Most LAN centers and gaming centers have the same fee, so its nothing new. This is the same venue fee C3 has had for the past year, so the prices have not been raised. Like someone said earlier it is a business, the price is $10 to get to use the venue for the entire day until the tournament is fully completed. There are also no other fighting game tourneys, we have the entire place to ourselves.

The entrance fees are larger, because this is an ECRC event. They were put there to attract better competition from OOS, and heighten the stakes. Because the pot will be so large, more spots will be payed out, and depending on number of entrants that could be anywhere from top 5 to top 9 in singles, and top 5 in teams. The Smash community loves its occasional Large Tournament, and tournament runners try to help us out giving us a place to do so at a decent price. It isn't fair to these organizers who plan a big tournament for us to enjoy and then have loads of people not show up (see Critical Hit 4).

Also, I'm sure many people haven't realized that the teams entry fee isnt $30 per person, it is per TEAM. So, you are really paying $20 for singles and $15 for teams, individually. Plus the venue fee, that's $45 total. This is the exact same price as Critical Hit 3, and the ultimate price of Critical Hit 4, both designed to be large tourneys like this one. The venue has a multitude of televisions already (bringing more would be greatly appreciated), but everyone who owns a Wii with all stages and characters unlocked in brawl would be greatly appreciated. Please label and loosely keep an eye on your Wii, C3 has multiple security cameras at various angles of the venue, so if anything happens to your Wii, it's all on camera.

C3's entry system is simple and effective. When you arrive you will grab the entry slip of paper and a pencil from the front. Upon this Entry Slip you will put all your info, which will consist of your gamertag, teammate and team name if you enter teams, and also your State/Crew/Area. This information is vital for seeding purposes, because the tournament program is capable of separating you by crew, state, or whatever. This means that if 5 people come in the same car from Tuscaloosa or something, put the same info on your Entry Slip! This will ensure you do not have to play crewmates early in the bracket (Losers bracket is no guarantee, and some things in the winners bracket can't be appeased for EVERY crew, but I will do my very best ). Failure to complete the Entry Slip gives the possibility of having to play crew mates early on, so if this happens to you then it is your own fault.

The tournament schedule will be VERY punctual, teams begins at 11:00 (11:15 at the latest), with registration for teams ending sometime before then. Once the bracket is started, there will be no adding teams. I REPEAT, NO ADDING TEAMS. I realize smashers are notorious for being super late but let's all try to make an effort to get there this time, it's not fair to everyone else. I know this may sound foreign to most of you but, GET A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP, GET UP AT 8-9, EAT A GOOD BREAKFAST AND COME EARLY!! This will be more beneficial for you and for everyone, and it won't get you disqualified. I speak especially to the OOS travelers, PLEASE leave early if you have a long drive, I truly and sincerely do not want to exclude OOS people from entering this tournament, but I truly and sincerely will if I have to.

I will start checking this thread more to answer any questions anyone has.

Bouse

Smash Ace
Will the stage list and rules be the same as the "October Opera" tournament?

Lobos

Smash Master
Unlike ch3 this isn't gonna have pools, $20 for double elimination seems kinda high for singles in Brawl. I can atleast agree with teams pricing since its split between 2 people and the venue fee doesn't bother me since I know its the same as cyberden.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
It does seem a little steep for some people who are ultimately going to go 0-2 and be eliminated, I see your point and I sympathize, but let me give some points to everyone on the subject.

Generally the point of pools is to narrow down the field into a bracket. It's better to eliminate 50% of the field or greater, otherwise pools aren't time efficient. Let's say..... 70 people show up at this tournament. 8 pools would mean roughly 8-9 people per pool, making everyone play a grueling total of 7-8 sets before the bracket, with maybe 2 TV's per pool. Aside from taking a lifetime to complete, this gives you maybe 3-4 losses as opposed to 2, to MAYBE make a 4th seed. This creates a problem, with the people who immediately lose 3-4 matches, they are basically eliminated, and are still forced to complete their pool, using TVs to play pointless matches. The alternative is allowing top 3 to proceed, with a 24 man bracket with 1-seed byes. This creates even less chance to advance with multiple losses.

Another alternative would be 16 pools of 4-5, of which only top 2 would proceed to brackets. This is just like double elim, where 2 losses virtually eliminates you from the tournament, and guarantees you 1-2 more matches. This creates the same problem, using TV's to play pointless matches, in a tourney where it is uncertain whether or not there will even be 1 setup for each pool.

I love the idea of pools for the best possible outcome of a tournament, and with a guarantee of 16-24 televisions and everyone playing their matches on time, I would totally support pools, but this creates a 12+ hour tournament, where tournament matches are actually pointless. I understand people want to be able to play more matches for their money, more bang for their buck, but whats the point of playing a tourney match if you are already eliminated? It's basically a glorified friendly with no reward for winning. We want everyone to have fun but this is also a serious high-stakes tournament, and going into a tournament worried about losing and wasting your money is a smash mindset that will ultimately halt your improvement in the game.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Good **** on G-reg's posts...also, unless there are like 30+ TVs or whatever the crazy awesome number of setups was for CH3, then pools for a tourney of this size would be ridiculous. Last time I was at C3 I think there were only half as many setups? Definitely prefer double elim...[lmao watch me get 0-2 for saying that now >_>]

Oh well...this'll be the most expensive 5 Guys Burger'n'Cajun Fries I ever had....can't wait ^_^

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
I still need housing/ride guys!!!

I must know SOON

Theres also a chance Afro Thunder is comming with me now.

SOMEONE should wanna house us, come onnnn

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks for clarifying g-reg.

I haven't had interwebs for the past couple of days, so I apologize to everyone.

I'll have a complete rule set up in the next day or so, I'm just getting some opinions on some fine tuning.

HUZZAH!

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Greg too? Afro Thundah?!?!?

The thought of me, you, Greg and Afro all Snake dittoing for hours on end gets me all tickley inside.

Edit- I call normal color Snake.

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
Greg too? Afro Thundah?!?!?

The thought of me, you, Greg and Afro all Snake dittoing for hours on end gets me all tickley inside.

Edit- I call normal color Snake.
dude if we all played for like acouple hours we would all b king of snake dittos!
i call cowskin color.......or i might steal g-regs green of this tourny...not sure yet

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I actually LOVE Snake dittos and know a ton about them...Check this out, it's fun and awesome.

When Snake is recovering using his Cypher, obviously you can jump out and hit him, but what is sometimes more effective is jumping out and C4 sticking him...Then when he lands, Utilt to C4, most of the time it will work, but if you think they are gonna airdodge (timings weird) you can jump with them, explode the c4 from under them, then punish their airdodge with a uair.

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
I actually LOVE Snake dittos and know a ton about them...Check this out, it's fun and awesome.

When Snake is recovering using his Cypher, obviously you can jump out and hit him, but what is sometimes more effective is jumping out and C4 sticking him...Then when he lands, Utilt to C4, most of the time it will work, but if you think they are gonna airdodge (timings weird) you can jump with them, explode the c4 from under them, then punish their airdodge with a uair.
thats crazy enough to work

g-regulate

Smash Hero
dude you can use green if you want, i also like the white colored snake. i always use green because its like, the most camouflage looking.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
Possibly coming.. And possibly bringing 5 new yorkers. Snakeee, NL, D1, Alex and Crismas. and possibly might need housing. Possibly.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyone heading up from the south is welcome to crash at my place that Saturday night...

Sensei Seibrik

Smash Hero
so i got housing with my cousin who happens to be 30 minutes from the venue.

but i still might neeed a ride from there to the place and back.

anyone think they can do it?

i'll be in an area i think is called Mclane, if anyone is passing by and has room for 1, MAYBE two very skinny smashers, that'd be great.

will supply gas.

KORNNNNN~

Smash Master
so i got housing with my cousin who happens to be 30 minutes from the venue.

but i still might neeed a ride from there to the place and back.

anyone think they can do it?

i'll be in an area i think is called Mclane, if anyone is passing by and has room for 1, MAYBE two very skinny smashers, that'd be great.

will supply gas.
lol i live in Fallschurch, VA it's 3 minutes from Mclane lol
but i'll go smash + stay at my friends place on friday night before the tourney though..

Lobos

Smash Master
Who is *****ing? I'll still come for teams and **** your **** all over this place! ****

Regardless of the pricing I'll still probably come, just to check out the OOS competition.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
MM any and all Toon Links in ditto's.

(Edit I only play this game at tournament so my playstyle is both erratic and nonsensical... you have been warned)

5$!!!! 3/5

Lobos

Smash Master
lol is there any other people that play TL besides us?

Seibrik - lol totally disregarded NY/NJ/NC/SC/DE/PA smashers that are coming. GG Hope you can do as well as you did at CH4

M15t3R E

Smash Master
MM any and all Toon Links in ditto's.

(Edit I only play this game at tournament so my playstyle is both erratic and nonsensical... you have been warned)

5$!!!! 3/5
Same goes for me! 'Cept, replace the words "Toon Link" with Pikachu.

And... I still need a partner for this event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom