• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
[glow]Moonwalk is good move[/glow]
\troll

moonwalking is fine and all, but everyone overrates its importance at the beginning. good dashdancing and wavedashing/landing and consistent l-cancels are way more important and applicable. *says the guy who can only moonwwalk left. awesome combos are way flashier than any amount of moonwalking.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
\troll

moonwalking is fine and all, but everyone overrates its importance at the beginning. good dashdancing and wavedashing/landing and consistent l-cancels are way more important and applicable. *says the guy who can only moonwwalk left. awesome combos are way flashier than any amount of moonwalking.
Yea, I know it's not that important, but I find it useful for grabbing the ledge when I'm not that close to it.

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
down throw --> fox-trot --> grab if they tech in place --> react to tech away/ no tech

^ you want to foxtrot with grabbing a tech in place in mind not do a complete reaction or you might be slow like me, if that makes any sense so its a 'mix'

badly spaced/timed aerial on shield --> grab (high/top tier foxes mess up a lot by a frame or 2 cuz its FOX)
that sorta makes some sense. how much of a window does falcon actually have to react in that sense? less than sheik techchasing im sure...

would it be possible to elaborate a little bit more? this seems like its gonna be really helpful

and other situations are welcome too :D

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
that sorta makes some sense. how much of a window does falcon actually have to react in that sense? less than sheik techchasing im sure...

would it be possible to elaborate a little bit more? this seems like its gonna be really helpful

and other situations are welcome too :D
im in no way shape or form s2j but i actually do the same thing he mentions. Fox trotting is the initial dash animation but not the actual running and is(correct me if im wrong) a bit faster than the full dash???

That being said, an easy way to foxtrot is just flick the control stick the way you want to trot.

Soooo after you down throw your opponent fox trot the way your facing and it will usually put you in a good spot to see/react to what your opponent will do. for teching in place, grabbing is always a good option

If you see they are rolling away go for dair or knee. if they roll back obviously bair. there is sooo many possibilitiessssss just be sure to mix it up :bee:

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
im in no way shape or form s2j but i actually do the same thing he mentions. Fox trotting is the initial dash animation but not the actual running and is(correct me if im wrong) a bit faster than the full dash???

That being said, an easy way to foxtrot is just flick the control stick the way you want to trot.

Soooo after you down throw your opponent fox trot the way your facing and it will usually put you in a good spot to see/react to what your opponent will do. for teching in place, grabbing is always a good option

If you see they are rolling away go for dair or knee. if they roll back obviously bair. there is sooo many possibilitiessssss just be sure to mix it up :bee:
While I did not require the elaboration on the foxtrot portion, I am grateful for the rest of it :p

The way I play now is based on prediction from the get-go. This is a bit unreliable however, and it comes from playing a small pool of people. However, if I were to be able to incorporate reaction into the initial techchasing, my prediction later would become more reliable. So, how feasible is it to actually react consistently in this sort of grab situation?

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
While I did not require the elaboration on the foxtrot portion, I am grateful for the rest of it :p

The way I play now is based on prediction from the get-go. This is a bit unreliable however, and it comes from playing a small pool of people. However, if I were to be able to incorporate reaction into the initial techchasing, my prediction later would become more reliable. So, how feasible is it to actually react consistently in this sort of grab situation?
haha yeah after i posted it i was like oh crap he deff knows what foxtrotting is lol. but anyways, as the match goes on you know you cannot make the best decision everytime, for every situation you will come across. however, one still needs to be thinking "alright ive put him in a situation where they need to tech, he can either go three ways, and ill be ready for all of them."

When i start a match with someone ive never played before i ALWAYS check to see if they tech the dthrow to see whats up with them. (shoutouts to mimicmew for this tip if you are reading this lol)

As you get better your punishes will be stronger.

idk to me a big part of this game is prediction so the more you're thinking ahead the better you will be
sorry if i didnt understand/answer ur question, high johns :awesome:

mers

Smash Ace
K, so how often should forward-b be used?

:phone:
I think the general opinion is that it's really good vs. Marth, less good vs. other chars. I personally hate using it for techchasing cuz even though it can cover 3/4 options (or all of them near the ledge) it seems to fail a lot cuz of weird mixups in timings due to opponent DI/percent changes.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
Hey there. I'm pretty new so try not to ask me why the heck i don't know this. right, i have tons of problems getting anything out of down grab, like, against what characters is it good against to start a combo or is it just a really good tech chase option? Oh and about the d-grab, how do i nair into it? does it work against like samus,puff,etc.?

Twinkles

Smash Lord
K, so how often should forward-b be used?

against marth, you can use it to get under short-hopped nairs or sometimes other short-hopped aerials. against any character, it's not bad if you wanna try to catch someone if they're trying to fall to the ground

it's also not a bad option for tech-chasing if you feel like covering many options

s2j's trick is to d-throw near the edge
that way, you can catch every option with side-b if they don't fall off and grab the edge
they techroll to edge = tech in place = side-b will hit them
they techroll to stage = side-b will hit them

apart from that, i would try experimenting with uses. i'm planning on trying to use it after a tech roll or some stupid sht

Hey there. I'm pretty new so try not to ask me why the heck i don't know this. right, i have tons of problems getting anything out of down grab, like, against what characters is it good against to start a combo or is it just a really good tech chase option? Oh and about the d-grab, how do i nair into it? does it work against like samus,puff,etc.?
against fox/falco/falcon (fast-fallers), dthrow goes into tech-chases. you could also try using it to techchase shiek if they di into the ground.
if the character you're fighting can jump before they hit the ground (puff, peach, samus, etc.), it's a good idea to start a combo. you nair into it by just short-hopping into nair like normal. if you're against a floatier character, don't fast-fall the nair so you can get both hits in (unless you want to do single-nair shenanigans). if they're so floaty that you can't hit them good with a nair, try uair instead

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
against marth, you can use it to get under short-hopped nairs or sometimes other short-hopped aerials. against any character, it's not bad if you wanna try to catch someone if they're trying to fall to the ground

it's also not a bad option for tech-chasing if you feel like covering many options

that way, you can catch every option with side-b if they don't fall off and grab the edge

apart from that, i would try experimenting with uses. i'm planning on trying to use it after a tech roll or some stupid sht

against fox/falco/falcon (fast-fallers), dthrow goes into tech-chases. you could also try using it to techchase shiek if they di into the ground.
if the character you're fighting can jump before they hit the ground (puff, peach, samus, etc.), it's a good idea to start a combo. you nair into it by just short-hopping into nair like normal. if you're against a floatier character, don't fast-fall the nair so you can get both hits in (unless you want to do single-nair shenanigans). if they're so floaty that you can't hit them good with a nair, try uair instead
Thanks, just wanted to get the question off my mind especially since my little brother use's puff alot :)

D

Deleted member

the question is how much do u want me to tear you up

and how much do u realize ur mistakes already

==

well here are some preliminary thoughts:

a lot of ur stuff in general just needs to be better spaced/timed

most of it seems obvious let me know if not

work on bare fundamentals before trying to do moonwalk edgeguards unless
you never miss ( YOU DID IN THIS MATCH)

thats pretty much what i have to say if you play better opponents you'll find that lacking mechanics will lose you games

for future critique vids i suggest recording matches vs people (slightly) better than you, ideally where you are playing close to your best and barely win/lose or get smashed

in terms of mechanical errors that you could polish up i see like 30+ spots

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice
the question is how much do u want me to tear you up

and how much do u realize ur mistakes already

==

well here are some preliminary thoughts:

a lot of ur stuff in general just needs to be better spaced/timed

most of it seems obvious let me know if not

work on bare fundamentals before trying to do moonwalk edgeguards unless
you never miss ( YOU DID IN THIS MATCH)

thats pretty much what i have to say if you play better opponents you'll find that lacking mechanics will lose you games

for future critique vids i suggest recording matches vs people (slightly) better than you, ideally where you are playing close to your best and barely win/lose or get smashed

in terms of mechanical errors that you could polish up i see like 30+ spots
omg thanks so much man! but yeah that makes sense and pretty much what wenbobular said in the critique said so yup im just going to iron the fundamentals then.

i just learned moonwalks after a bit of struggle learnin them so im still hyped on them and trying to incorporate em just to be flashy lol i need to stop being so greedy.

theres not many people that live close to me that play seriously so thats that, but there is one really good person who i play with, ill try and record some matches with him.

if you dont mind can you show me some of the obvious things that im missing? specifically "techskill" related things. not tryin to suck yer **** but you are my fav player so ur post just made my day:bee: and nah you can be as harsh as possible i will only learn from my mistakes. thanks again s2j!

Eclectic Echo

Smash Apprentice
I think the general opinion is that it's really good vs. Marth, less good vs. other chars. I personally hate using it for techchasing cuz even though it can cover 3/4 options (or all of them near the ledge) it seems to fail a lot cuz of weird mixups in timings due to opponent DI/percent changes.
Ok, thanks, and to twinkles. Too big quote

That's pretty much when I use it. Just wanted to see other opinions on it. I Use it if I see an opportunity that isn't unnecessary.

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
Raptor Boost can never cover all four options, only three of them, even near the ledge.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ I've always thought that, but sometimes it seems that theres a certain spacing that can cover both directions of rolls.

D

Deleted member

up-throw next to edge go in raptor boost in

if they do anything besides tech to the edge they will get hit

if they tech left you will uppercut the air and not hit them but be very safe

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
you might actually be able to get that one if you time it right. As you know, the tech roll animation loses invincibility about halfway through the roll, so if you were to time your sideb to hit that but move towards the center of the stage it should also cover the other 3 options. Ima do a bit of testing to see if thats true, but it seems like that should work from the tests I was doing b4

edit- nevermind, sideb simply wont activate on a person teching towards the edge no matter what you do.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
So today I was playing my bro's Sheik (he doesn't main Sheik, btw, just playing her so I could get some MU practice), and I noticed that I was able to pull off uthrow -> dash -> instant shorthop uair -> regrab vs. DI down + away at (I think) around 30%. Does anyone know how reliable this is/when it works?

Also, what is, in your opinion, Falcon's trolliest edgeguard? (when it works, of course)
A) Jab
B) Down-slanted Ftilt
C) Utilt
D) (from ledge) Ledgehop -> waveland backwards -> regrab ledge
E) Shorthop -> bair -> ledgecancel -> edgehog
F) Jetfour's New Edgegrab Tech
G) Aerial Raptor Boost

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
So today I was playing my bro's Sheik (he doesn't main Sheik, btw, just playing her so I could get some MU practice), and I noticed that I was able to pull off uthrow -> dash -> instant shorthop uair -> regrab vs. DI down + away at (I think) around 30%. Does anyone know how reliable this is/when it works?
thats like... definitely a thing. in fact, it is one of the many specifically important MU things to get down against sheik.

basically about 30% against di away this works. then eventually they go off stage (assuming their DI continues) and then when you throw them the final time you do uair - uair- edgeguard

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Uhh that doesn't sound like a thing to me <_< DI down and away on Uair kinda kills most followups on non floaties ... I think the Sheik doesn't buffer / isn't DIing good enough

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
1. Get a girlfriend.
2. Establish a deep and meaningful connection with her.
3. Meet and impress her family with your charm, wit, and qualifications for marriage.
4. Teach her to play Melee so you don't have to practice by yourself.

Hey, it worked for me (sort of).

And LOL @Sveet and Wolfy. Maybe I'll try uthrow -> dash attack -> instant sh uair -> regrab, since I can already hit sheik with instant sh uair (the only character I miss with that move is Fox).

And Wenbobular, I'm pretty sure it's a thing. It only works because of Falcon's stupid air speed that lets him keep up with the falling Sheik at that percentage. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've seen this trick pulled off before. I don't know about buffering, but I'm confident that my brother knows how to DI well, and it was working pretty well on him.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Early Uair has no hitstun and Sheik is not a floaty, I don't see this true comboing with good DI
Does Sveet want to test this :lick:

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Well we're just talking about Uthrow uair regrab

I thought about it a little more, it probably works on away DI on the throw because I forgot Falcon doesn't even have to run to get the regrab at lower %

But if they don't DI the throw then DI down and away the Uair I don't think you're going to get anything

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
Well we're just talking about Uthrow uair regrab

I thought about it a little more, it probably works on away DI on the throw because I forgot Falcon doesn't even have to run to get the regrab at lower %

But if they don't DI the throw then DI down and away the Uair I don't think you're going to get anything
That's true. Probably ought to go for a bair on no-DI uthrow? I'll explore this scenario more today if possible.

Top Bottom