• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social C. Falcon Social

D

Deleted member

he's easily top 10 in socal atm, just needs to have his own setup/ not use one of my busted *** controllers

i think he is very very good, his style reminds me of DEHF

Walt

Smash Ace
cc should be used nearly all of the time
you can cc into rolls, grabs, the people's elbow, and even dash inputs if you're pro as ****
CC grab/gentlemen/roll/DAFT are Falcon's best options out of CC. Dash attack and fsmash are probably not all that optimal. Anyone who knows what's what is going to be trying to either get away or get a second attack off ASAP when you're low enough CC a move they're hitting you with and fsmash will probably not be that useful, it can be--just isn't most of the time. Dash attack is just usually not good in situations where you would be CCing something because why not grab instead and remove the chance of them just crouching you back.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
hey guys, i need help v. marth

one thing i have problems with is getting a hit in when he's fairing all over the place
and spaces it well enough that i miss a grab and get DD grabbed

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
u can run in and CC his fair for free grabs OR use moves that pull u back like side b or fsmash or falcon kick

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
Tarheel - going back a few pages.

Basically the situation is this

My options as sheik if you do not tech the d-throw

1.) jab --> wait and tech chase
2.) jab --> jab
3.) jab --> f-tilt (my favorite)
4.) d-smash (the bailout)

What I mentioned to you is this:
If you are mixing up doing SDI out and simply not SDI --> immediate tech roll after my jab reset, double jab from sheik can't cover both options. Double jab --> wd ftilt/fair can counter the hard SDIs of Falcon. However, by initiating the 2nd jab, I cannot cover Falcon's option of simply tech recovering and rolling away, since the 2nd jab will have too much post lag for me to dash to where you roll. Hence, it is a r-p-s mixup like you mentioned

Hax's inclination is to always try to SDI the first jab and not mix in a couple of tech roll aways after the jab reset. M2K knew this and punished accordingly. I tried doing the same to Scar the other night and got dominated for doing double jab on his no-tech recovery. I think jab --> ftilt is 100x better, especially since it'll push them towards the side of the stage most of the time.

To counter sheik's jab shinanagins, you have to mix up SDIs and tech rolling/getup attacking the reset. It seems hopeless to get tech-chased endlessly, but if you are in the mindset of "I always have to SDI the jab", then you will be incredibly easy to read and Sheik's will have a field day comboing you to death.

One thing I'm experimenting with is also double jab --> slight pause --> wd fair/ftilt. Sometimes I can catch the falcon in their jump and make them extra vulnerable.

SUPER SECRET TIP #1
I've been thinking for a while about what key components separate a decent falcon from a good one. I played Scar a decent bit this week and noticed that he had much more options and was ready for much more to counter many things that sheik does. For example:

1. If I am not perfect on a tech chase, he is really good on mixing in buffer rolls, gentlemens, raptor boosts, and not doing anything. Most other falcons will typically give up and give me the re-grab even if my read/timing wasn't perfect and they had an opportunity to escape. Slightly better Falcons have a boner for buffer rolls and will only buffer roll. Great falcons mix in everything.

2. Scar can punish me when I try to shield poke with OOS nairs, dairs, rolls. Most falcons just sit in shield

3. Scar makes sure to keep moving in the matchup and have solid stage control. Most falcons have tunnel vision and focus on getting a grab or a nair without being mindful of stage control.

4. Scar does not miss combos....

5. Scar's edge guarding is top notch. Scare me away with the threat of bair, grabs ledge, stomps --> knee or reverse knee when i land on stage. Makes sure that my recovery to ledge shinanagins do not work.

PS: I'll turn this into a AMA in regards to the falcon/sheik matchup from the Sheik's perspective.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
@gahtzu
cc is a new idea to me. ill try it out

@slox
TELL ME ANYTHING
i don't feel like i'm god awful at the matchup, but i feel like there's so much more that falcon can do to marth that i'm just not doing

Zhea

Smash Ace
Hey all, quick spacies questions.

1) Trying to learn how to get in on falco, working on my power shield and platform game, anything else I should focus on or is more key to putting falco in a position where it is not safe to laser?

2) is it possible, if you have read and chased the roll correctly to grab fox/falco/whole cast idk, to just grab them or can they shine/spot dodge? Just want to make sure I am not getting lucky regrabs off bad play.

Also looking to head to No Johns next month as the Troy/Albany area is dead for the summer with RPI out in terms of tourneys or smash, any other falcons going?

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
tafo-- yeah he's really good at uair oos. what are his crouch cancelling habits

you can regrab fox and falco (read a few pages back). fox can reliably be regrabbed on reaction; it's trickier for falco b/c his tech roll is longer. i think also b/c you get out of the downthrow a bit later b/c he is heavier. hax typically uthrows falco from what i can recall and johnny recently said he believes uthrowing falco is much better (pp also said this somewhere and others have prob said it too)

Twinkles

Smash Lord

1) Trying to learn how to get in on falco, working on my power shield and platform game, anything else I should focus on or is more key to putting falco in a position where it is not safe to laser?

2) is it possible, if you have read and chased the roll correctly to grab fox/falco/whole cast idk, to just grab them or can they shine/spot dodge? Just want to make sure I am not getting lucky regrabs off bad play.

Also looking to head to No Johns next month as the Troy/Albany area is dead for the summer with RPI out in terms of tourneys or smash, any other falcons going?
platforms help falcon v. falco tremendously, lets u avoid shl's and approach more comfortably. powershielding can shake up a laser happy falco tho

keep ur mind open on techchases. if regrabbing is working out for you, keep it up. the moment u miss a grab due to a roll, spot-dodge, or shine, u just gotta mix it up. usually, players will prefer one option over the other. figure that one option out, and then punish accordingly. delayed knees usually work wonders.

Zhea

Smash Ace
Smash DI makes anything possible, possibly double stick DI, also holy ****, is that video as recent as it was posted? Didn't know he still played.

KUSH.

Smash Apprentice

I used to main falco for a bit and i like to think its one of my better matchups. but yeah if i sound like an idiot disregard me:)

1) I dont know alot about powershielding and i dont try to use it. however, my strategy to put falco in a position where his lasers arent so useful involves wd oos. pretty much when he starts lasering away i shield and wd oos towards him inch by inch.

when i get in the space right before the danger zone ill usually either go for grab, space nair uair or knee(all situational of course). I usually go for a grab and tech chase from there. s2j always stresses that most players tech in a certain way/have one major flaw thats punishable, so i always make a mental note on how they tech, laser, etc.

2) Yes if you see they rolled a certain way and u chase them for the grab you will grab them. if they are laying on the ground lifeless, be mindful of a get up attack in the case of regrabbing/tech chasing. Hope this helps mannn

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Haha I lived from a rest on FD at 68% the other day. It was just 1 instance of SDI (you can see it). Double stick DI simple allows you to [easily] SDI one way and ASDI a different way. If you are ASDIing the same way you are SDIing, it doesn't matter.

Eclectic Echo

Smash Apprentice
What's the 'A' stand for in ASDI?

I'm not much of a Falcon player, but from time to time I like to do some flashy stuff. I was going to try moonwalking sometime tomorrow and wondered how fast you have to do it?

:phone:

D

Deleted member

you want to do it as fast as possible

some tips for doing an easy moonwalk:

good wavedash --> walk in same direction --> moonwalk in that same direction for an easy super moonwalk

Nakamaru

Smash Master
another good way to practice it is go to the right side of the small ramp on Hyrule Temple(or any wall really). Raptor boost into it and just as it cancels try to Moonwalk. Jump at the end of the moonwalk to see how much distance you got.

easy way to get momentum for you moonwalks to practice the motion.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
What's the 'A' stand for in ASDI?

I'm not much of a Falcon player, but from time to time I like to do some flashy stuff. I was going to try moonwalking sometime tomorrow and wondered how fast you have to do it?

Asdi stands for automatic smash di. For details on how the various types of di work, check out the sticky on di

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion

Doesn't Hax go to no johns?

DuckPimp

Smash Ace
Smash DI makes anything possible, possibly double stick DI, also holy ****, is that video as recent as it was posted? Didn't know he still played.
Yeah G-Reg still comes out occasionally

Still really solid

Anyways, I have realized that I play a very predict-y game, and my reactions are not all they should be as a falcon player. I know that I need to have a mix of reaction and prediction in this game and with this character, but as of right now I feel that balance is way off. What are some things that I should really work on reacting to and taking advantage of? In short, how do I play a more reactionary game?

D

Deleted member

down throw --> fox-trot --> grab if they tech in place --> react to tech away/ no tech

^ you want to foxtrot with grabbing a tech in place in mind not do a complete reaction or you might be slow like me, if that makes any sense so its a 'mix'

badly spaced/timed aerial on shield --> grab (high/top tier foxes mess up a lot by a frame or 2 cuz its FOX)

Gahtzu

Smash Journeyman
Having a strong ground game is what a lot of faclons lack IMO, staying grounded spacing yourself with dashes and wavedashes while using jabs/tilts/smashes/grabs is a pretty good mixup with your typical aerial happy falcon. Although if you stay grounded for too long you might get *****, so it's mostly just to change up your style for a few seconds to keep the opponent guessing.

PB&J

Smash Hero
he's easily top 10 in socal atm, just needs to have his own setup/ not use one of my busted *** controllers

i think he is very very good, his style reminds me of DEHF
Thats whats up. Sucks about the controller. I think i might have a extra good controller so i might send him one. Keep playing with that guy, he was my favorite smasher when he lived in ga

iRobinhoood

Smash Lord
Where in NYC is Hax? If he has transportation problems to and from tourneys I think I could help. I'm on the Yonkers/Bronx border, wouldn't be more than 15 minutes out of my way. When's the next No Johns in Nanuet?

EDIT: Nvr mnd probably wouldn't be a reliable source since I've been to one tournament lol

Top Bottom