• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawlers hate us-What can we do?-READ FIRST POST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cinder

Smash Master
I play both Brawl and Melee.
Brawl is the more competitive game in my opinion, while Melee is for casual, friendly play.
Both are great games, if not the best.
o.o

It looks like someone needs to learn to wavedash, l-cancel, *lists off other AT's removed from Brawl*, and compare hitstun frames...

sonic smash down

Smash Lord
o.o

It looks like someone needs to learn to wavedash, l-cancel, *lists off other AT's removed from Brawl*, and compare hitstun frames...
o yea like you should be talking huh cinds. i thought you quit (brawl) :p and giga you got it completely opposite. brawl is the friendly game while melee leans towards the competative play. its pretty ovious if you know wat cinds is talking about or have played a real competative player

edit: usually i would flame but im not in that kind of mood right now :/

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
I like Brawl more than Melee but yeah sometime people say Melee-lovers are Brawl haters but thats what I acutally see, not all the time but I see people that like Melee saying Brawl suck and stuff.

Zodiac

Smash Master
FAVORITE! A whole game owned by a single post.

I like Brawl more than Melee but yeah sometime people say Melee-lovers are Brawl haters but thats what I acutally see, not all the time but I see people that like Melee saying Brawl suck and stuff.
Short answer:Because brawl IS slow and hum drum/isnt good and Melee IS way better.

Long answer:I don't do long answer's anymore,

Mr.Jaskolski

Smash Ace
Someone should close this thread this discussion is pointless who cares i hate brawl it's for noobs and they like it cause they can win at something and they know it. Melee for champs, brawl for camps!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
There's no reason for any hate at all.

A majority of the Brawl community either came into it without any past competitive experience to Melee, or were Melee veterans that simply enjoy the game for what it is. Neither of them are to blame for Melee's losing popularity.

If anything, the fact that everyone got their hopes up for Brawl to essentially be "Melee 2.0" is what did it. Many people lost interest when they saw what was supposed to be "the perfect game" turn into something radically different than what they expected, and people are finding it difficult to go back to after their recent loss of interest. Melee players killed it themselves.

As for Brawl taking no skill, why don't you go beat Azen in a tournament and prove it to me?

Either way, I don't think that either community is poised to die any time soon. They both have a large enough fanbase to carry on for a fair while. Brawl doesn't need an exclusively-Melee player's input, much like Melee doesn't need an exclusively-Brawl player's input. It's the same with N64 Smash. Some people just get a hard-on from putting the other game down, and that's always going to happen, but in the meantime, just enjoy whichever game or games you want to, and don't give unnecessary hate to anyone.

otg

Smash Master
There's no reason for any hate at all.

A majority of the Brawl community either came into it without any past competitive experience to Melee, or were Melee veterans that simply enjoy the game for what it is. Neither of them are to blame for Melee's losing popularity.

If anything, the fact that everyone got their hopes up for Brawl to essentially be "Melee 2.0" is what did it. Many people lost interest when they saw what was supposed to be "the perfect game" turn into something radically different than what they expected, and people are finding it difficult to go back to after their recent loss of interest. Melee players killed it themselves.

As for Brawl taking no skill, why don't you go beat Azen in a tournament and prove it to me?

Either way, I don't think that either community is poised to die any time soon. They both have a large enough fanbase to carry on for a fair while. Brawl doesn't need an exclusively-Melee player's input, much like Melee doesn't need an exclusively-Brawl player's input. It's the same with N64 Smash. Some people just get a hard-on from putting the other game down, and that's always going to happen, but in the meantime, just enjoy whichever game or games you want to, and don't give unnecessary hate to anyone.
Seriously, I agree. I might not like Brawl competitively, but there are others that do, so Professor Pro going into the Brawl boards and trolling is just BAD for us people. I mean jesus, do we really need the Brawl community to have even more reason to hate us (regardless of whether or not they do)?

Let the Brawl scene flourish for awhile and play out, in the meantime let's start hosting tournaments and getting T.O. to put Melee as a side event @ Brawl tournies. Being negative and what not is just counterproductive to our real cause: keep this game that we all LOVE alive.

L__

Smash Master
...LOL! Yeah, you should.

"

Once upon a time:

Me: I don't have anything against Brawl as a game, I just hate it's fanbase.

KosukeKGA: I do too L, I hate brawl's fanbase.

...just for those who don't care. T_T

Cinder

Smash Master
omg lol. Should I sig this?
I don't see the harm ^_^

When you do, just make sure you put a "Stupidest thing I've heard someone say about Smash" tag above it...

And for the record, and let me get this out in the open right here, right now...I have nothing against Brawl, as long as people don't get on my case about being 100% Melee...

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
Melee players killed it themselves.
lol reminds me of J*ck..

You still need skill but you would only need like 5% of the skill required in Melee. All you have to do is know your character, learn spacing and mindgames, and hit without being hit.

LOL_Master

Smash Lord
it's not until they've played with good people, not necessarily the best such as m2k even, for a good amount of time, those brawlers will realize

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That's the same god**** thing in melee.
Yes, only without having to press twenty buttons in a second's time frame. The difference is that it takes away the technical aspect that everyone can achieve by simple muscle memory, so all that's left is the mindgames, which is the part that's always separated the good from the great. I don't see what the issue is.

otg

Smash Master
Yes, only without having to press twenty buttons in a second's time frame. The difference is that it takes away the technical aspect that everyone can achieve by simple muscle memory, so all that's left is the mindgames, which is the part that's always separated the good from the great. I don't see what the issue is.

Uhh not everyone can waveshine consistently. The deep level of mindgames exist because of all the advanced techs: OPTIONS. Thats the only thing I disagree with you. And sorry, just to clarify, Brawl doesn't take more mindgames, it's ONLY mindgames because there no AT. The levels of mindgames are subjective, so its impossible to say one has more than another. In theory, mindgames should be infinite.

Grunt

Smash Master
people throw around the word mindgame so much i think I'll start using it in my everyday speech.
"Hey did you see that girl? I'm going to go mindgame her to come over to my place, where I'm in an advantageous position."

Zodiac

Smash Master
Your type has been officially classified under ignorant and arrogant smasher who thinks their the best. Muscle memory my ***, simple my ***. try going at that level of tech skill and using normal mind games, not to mention the advanced mind that incorporate the technical aspect and thus make them mega mind games.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
My one my friends who played Brawl a lot when it came out, just think generic twelve year old Brawl fan, just at seventeen.

The last week of school, he apologized for calling me "tourney-***," "melee-tard," "go wave-dash," etc. I asked "what changed your mind?" He responded "Well, Brawl. It just plain sucks."

Hopefully more will learn :)

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Your type has been officially classified under ignorant and arrogant smasher who thinks their the best. Muscle memory my ***, simple my ***. try going at that level of tech skill and using normal mind games, not to mention the advanced mind that incorporate the technical aspect and thus make them mega mind games.
Don't flame Reflex, he knows what he's talking about.

He was pretty **** good at melee.

He just happens to like brawl better, which I can't understand personally because I don't enjoy playing it at all, but he's good at both games so you have to respect that position and accept that NOT every informed smasher hates brawl. Just a good portion of them. A lot of the best smashers in MD/VA region genuinely enjoy playing brawl more than melee now, and not because of money.

What he says is mostly true. Things like shuffling and waveshining are simple muscle memory for anyone who's good at melee.

There's more advanced/subtle/situational technical stuff that adds to the game's depth, but just citing things like waveshining isn't helping your argument. Because anyone who's worth a **** CAN waveshine consistently. (this is also directed at otg's post).

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
And sorry, just to clarify, Brawl doesn't take more mindgames, it's ONLY mindgames because there no AT.
Okay, but remember that I never said Brawl took more mindgames.

The levels of mindgames are subjective, so its impossible to say one has more than another. In theory, mindgames should be infinite.
You see, that's just it; that's why I prefer playing Brawl. I feel like technical skill is just a hoop that everyone can go through with enough simple practice by themselves. I understand that experience and mindgames are very important in Melee, but as you said, there is very little technical skill in Brawl to excel at, so they're even more important in Brawl.

Now, BECAUSE mindgames are theoretically infinite, that in itself can propel Brawl to a competitive level. I feel that a competitive fighting game shows its worth by how much it can reward those who can "read the opponent's mind" (No, I'm not copy/pasting this from Sirlin :/ ).

I was having a conversation with DogySamich, a friend of mine, and I feel like a good comparison to Brawl is Marvel vs. Capcom 2, if only because it's the opposite part of the spectrum.

MvC2 is ridiculously technical, and the way the physics work, there isn't a whole lot of room for mindgames. It's still there, but at top-level play, it's basically, "You got hit once, you just lost a character." It's almost all about simply being able to pull off infinites and lockdowns, which is a lot more technical skill than it is experience and mindgames.

Brawl is essentially the opposite; with how the game works, the top level of play becomes all about reading EVERY move, not just one. You really can't punish with a 0-to-death, but with enough ability, you CAN punish a good deal. Pressure can still be a big deal in Brawl (I main Wario, and I try to use him aggressively whenever I can while still maintaining my ability to read opponent's moves).

MvC2 has a pretty good fan following, and it's not given a lot of ****. I don't see why the same doesn't happen with Brawl. I think people should always prize the intellectual aspect over everything else.

I understand that because of how the game works, and because of its lack of a fast pace, it would bore many people. That's okay. To each their own. Yet, I find enjoyment in seeing the intellectual side of Smash; that's what I find entertaining in top-level Melee videos, not their technical skill. Seeing a person outsmarted makes me want to stand up and shout.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
All in all I'd have to agree with Reflex about the whole technical aspect. Removing the technical skill and reducing the overall pace of the game didn't necessarily make Brawl significantly less skill-based, merely less fun for a lot of people.

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
That's the same god**** thing in melee.
No it’s not. In melee it’s about waiting for your opponent to make a mistake, then going in and perfectly executing a series of attacks, making sure to string them together by paying attention to your opponent’s own defensive actions and either reacting to them accordingly, or [if you’re slow and stupid like me] trying to guess what your opponent is going to do and act upon it correctly. Brawl is about shielding and f-tilting with Snake.

And it's more than just the less technical aspect of Brawl that makes it unappealing. In fact, I think those are the least of its problems (I actually like the less technical aspect of it). Camping prevails. It's air-game is pathetic thanks to the new air-dodging system. There are very little combos due to the lack of hit stun. Recovery is very easy. And many of the weaker characters simply cannot get around certain strategies (which usually involve camping).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Brawl is about shielding and f-tilting with Snake.
If that were true, we would've seen at least one Snake in the top eight of XIIESTICLE. Rather, we saw a Lucario, a Kirby, a Diddy, four Meta Knights, and a G&W. Trust me, if you can't beat the strategy of "be Snake, shield, ftilt," you probably weren't particularly great at Melee either.

L__

Smash Master
No it’s not. In melee it’s about waiting for your opponent to make a mistake,
learn spacing and mindgames
then going in and perfectly executing a series of attacks, making sure to string them together by paying attention to your opponent’s own defensive actions and either reacting to them accordingly,
and hit without being hit.

or [if you’re slow and stupid like me] trying to guess what your opponent is going to do and act upon it correctly.
All you have to do is know your character, learn spacing and mindgames,
...how is that different?

SHDW23

Smash Journeyman
people throw around the word mindgame so much i think I'll start using it in my everyday speech.
"Hey did you see that girl? I'm going to go mindgame her to come over to my place, where I'm in an advantageous position."
lol Mega Mindgames.
If you're standing still, and your opponent SD's, is that ULTRA Mindgames?
:laugh: lol, how'd i miss these. :laugh:

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I don't see the harm ^_^

When you do, just make sure you put a "Stupidest thing I've heard someone say about Smash" tag above it...

And for the record, and let me get this out in the open right here, right now...I have nothing against Brawl, as long as people don't get on my case about being 100% Melee...
This quote is the reason Brawlers hate Melee-ers.

People don't like to be called stupid for liking a game more.

Of course, you're still right, but that doesn't mean you have to say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom