• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

Kryal

Smash Ace
This actually sounds like a really good idea. I know Kryal is planning to make the editor much easier to use in the future, but still even when that happens, you could import animations from other games.

Also, I was wondering Kryal. Have you thought about how the click+drag animation editor will work yet? I was wondering if you where going to take the approach that some programs use in that when a bone is selected, it shows a sphere with different circles for each axis:

Or are you taking a completely different approach?
Something similar, yes.

Do you think it'd be possible to tweeak the collision editor a little? I wanna drag things around instead of plugging numbers in w/ BrawlWall.
You already can. Use the mouse.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Okay, bugfix release (again). Animations save properly, and CLR files have more support (colors shouldn't corrupt anymore).

From here on out I will begin working on the model builder. It's actually really simple, I just have to remake a lot of classes. Next version will have (I hope) a new interface using the Glass framework which is halfway finished. The hard part is making the controls. I have some interesting ideas which you may like as well.

Until I return...

Alphatron

Smash Champion
I swear Kryal, I can never truly state how much we all appreciate you for this.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Okay, bugfix release (again). Animations save properly, and CLR files have more support (colors shouldn't corrupt anymore).

From here on out I will begin working on the model builder. It's actually really simple, I just have to remake a lot of classes. Next version will have (I hope) a new interface using the Glass framework which is halfway finished. The hard part is making the controls. I have some interesting ideas which you may like as well.

Until I return...
And he doesn't even get paid for this :'D.

We should set-up a paypal account for donations for Kryal.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Great! Have you talked with RandomTBush at all? He has done a lot of research on MDL0 files.
I know how all of the model pieces fit together. In fact, I was able to check for links in those files you sent me with just a hex editor. Kind of worried me...

I almost forgot, a special thanks to Eldrian who helped me debug the freezing problem! ;)

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Kyral, do you mind if I start working on adding command line support to BrawlBox? I have some batch texture dumping functions I wanna do :D

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi

Until I return...
you are doing great work :3
*giving you a cookie* x3

but I haven't understand so much about the model builder :dizzy:
can we add bones and make them right?

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
so what exactly will the mdl0 builder do? will it allow us to take polygons from one and add them to the other? or much more?

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Something similar, yes.
Hey Kryal, when you said something similar, did you mean you were going to use local controllers instead of word?

To the uninformed:
What he showed you was the WORLD control. Using that with bones is very bad as you're rotating it based on the front of the model, and that can lead to many animation problems, mainly including characters pointing joins in unnatural or impossible position.

Local is rotation based on the axis of the bone itself.

n64billy

Smash Ace
You already can. Use the mouse.
You can use the mouse to move around bones....? :ohwell:

I have tried all different key/mouse combinations and I couldn't find any way to rotate bones using the mouse... And nothing was in the online manual form the OP... so halp? :urg:

EDIT: Yes! E-Jolteon just showed perfectly what I'm looking for!
(Also, LUL @ Mario's right eye problem)

KuroBit

Smash Apprentice

Until I return...
Honestly, I can't believe the amount of dedication you have towards this. (Or is it actually really easy to do and we all think it's some insurmountable task? :p)
Thanks for all the work you put into BrawlBox!

You can use the mouse to move around bones....? :ohwell:

I have tried all different key/mouse combinations and I couldn't find any way to rotate bones using the mouse... And nothing was in the online manual form the OP... so halp? :urg:
You said "Collision Editor" and "Brawl Wall". That's stage collision editing, not model animation editing. You can't move bones with the mouse yet, but you can move stage collisions with the mouse.

EDIT:
Hey Kryal, when you said something similar, did you mean you were going to use local controllers instead of word?
I couldn't see why he wouldn't use local rotation (It would probably be much easier to program anyway). Although I suppose global movement can be good for things too. (Such as how they probably made Ike's Aether or Snake's Up+B)

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Thank you for the update, though seeing as this is v0.63d, I take that the model rebuilder will be on v0.64?
That's ironic, considering how important 64 has always been for me. That's why I had 64 in my non-Smashboards Username.

To move on to something relevant, while I don't know much about MDL0, I do wonder how well this importer will work; I mean, looks at the weird results we get just from other games... It seems like importing and having a functional model without having to export pre-existing bones at least for reference would be impossible. For example, we all know Brawl needs TopN, TransN, XrotN, YrotN, and a ThrowN bone to correctly handle players, but from what Kryal was saying, we wouldn't need a base skeleton at all... Wouldn't that throw off the characters actionscript? And furthermore, I'm wondering what formats BrawlBox will handle importing of, since there aren't a whole lot that preserve the bone structure.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Kyral, do you mind if I start working on adding command line support to BrawlBox? I have some batch texture dumping functions I wanna do :D
Go ahead. I started BrawlCmd a while back, but didn't want to get too far with it because the library isn't complete. The idea was to use text input and interpret it to reflection commands, which would dynamically find nodes and call methods.

With the library, a person could write one class and do pretty much anything with the data anyways. In fact, you could 'script' commands like a batch file with PowerShell instead of programming it in.

If there's something specific you want to do we can easily add it to the library. If it's not complex it might be easier than writing a new program for it. If it has something to do with patching, there will eventually be a mass-patcher used by BScape.

All bone transforms are local.

Thank you for the update, though seeing as this is v0.63d, I take that the model rebuilder will be on v0.64?
That's the plan.

That's ironic, considering how important 64 has always been for me. That's why I had 64 in my non-Smashboards Username.

To move on to something relevant, while I don't know much about MDL0, I do wonder how well this importer will work; I mean, looks at the weird results we get just from other games... It seems like importing and having a functional model without having to export pre-existing bones at least for reference would be impossible. For example, we all know Brawl needs TopN, TransN, XrotN, YrotN, and a ThrowN bone to correctly handle players, but from what Kryal was saying, we wouldn't need a base skeleton at all... Wouldn't that throw off the characters actionscript? And furthermore, I'm wondering what formats BrawlBox will handle importing of, since there aren't a whole lot that preserve the bone structure.
Node indices are used by the action script, separate from the model itself. With the model builder, a person could add/remove bones to match the scripts and even use 'dummy' bones for that purpose. Support for action scripts will come later, which will allow you to change the node tracking using a scripting language.

Import export formats will be .obj for polygons, .dae for whole models/scenes.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, I found out where the material properties are stored. They're set up as display lists like the polygons so that the hardware can call the commands directly. When they have a codec we will be able to change alpha/blending functions for materials, as well as tile and LOD modes.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
Aren't material shaders the commands within a material? Its like having a reflective texture, a bump map, a regular texture, you know that shiz. This would be REALLY helpful, i have been looking into it recently (specifically for bump maps), but brawl doesn't have any, so i haven't been able to do as much with it as i intended.

GamerRob1

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm looking for somebody who is familier with Brawlbox, and can make me Animations. But before saying "Why not take the time to do it yourself?", I would like to say that I am a Machinima Maker. I work hard on my Machinima so that it is successful which is why I am making this post! Making Machinima and doing all of these things is very much time consuming ESPECIALLY making animations, but I honestly can't take the time to be pro at making Animations. But I will take anybody! But I want my machinima to be better with custom animations for particular scenes.

My video's are professional enough that i gain 10 subscribers a day on Youtube, here is my Youtube Channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GamerRob1

If ANYBODY is willing to join my Machinima Making Cast and be my Animation Editor for Brawl, it would be much appreciated, and i would make sure you are credited and recognized, if YOU LIKE.

Send me a PM on Youtube, or contact me through MSN. (GamerRob1@hotmail.com) So somebody please step forward, and help a Machinima Maker out. :)

Thanks
GamerRob1

Anybody? I really need assistance on my project with making animations.

Mackorony101

Smash Cadet
Ok. I have a problem with my model. The animations mess up all the bones. Here is what a normal model should look like...

The model is fine when it is not on an animation but once it goes to that animation everything gets all scrunched up...

Does anybody know of a way to fix this without changing the actual animations?

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
Ok. I have a problem with my model. The animations mess up all the bones. Here is what a normal model should look like...

The model is fine when it is not on an animation but once it goes to that animation everything gets all scrunched up...

The model doesn't even look relatively the same... I have the exact same model open and animating in Brawlbox, and it looks absolutely perfect. What are you doing over there?

alexjol

Smash Apprentice
NNID
alexjol
3DS FC
2836-0788-1479

Maybe it's not the right animation for the right model.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
Node indices are used by the action script, separate from the model itself. With the model builder, a person could add/remove bones to match the scripts and even use 'dummy' bones for that purpose. Support for action scripts will come later, which will allow you to change the node tracking using a scripting language.

Import export formats will be .obj for polygons, .dae for whole models/scenes.
yeay!
but I have a n00b question, what is a "dummy" bone? it is like a bone but suppose to do nothing but count as a bone?

Kryal

Smash Ace
Kryal, when will we get version 1.0? I'm just curious.
When EVERYTHING is done, which means BBox will be able to open/edit/convert every data format in Brawl.

yeay!
but I have a n00b question, what is a "dummy" bone? it is like a bone but suppose to do nothing but count as a bone?
Yup. All it would do is take up a bone/node slot so the scripts will track properly.

shock44

Smash Journeyman
I have a question for you Kryal. When you get the model importing working, how will rigging work? Will we have to rig our model in a separate program like 3ds max and export as a .DAE? Or will we be able to rig it in BrawlBox itself? Or will BrawlBox be able to just rig the model for us if we tell it enough information?

Top Bottom