• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlBox v0.63d (bug fixes)

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
E-Jolt...you know this...how?
Cuz I don't think you do.
Because I looked at them. REL is a fairly old file type, and looking at the REL files in a hex editor, I do see a lot of paths to external files, and packages within files.

That said, I guess I COULD be wrong, but I don't think I am. Also, this isn't a reason worth listing, but REL implies the word "Relationship", meaning that it would associate something in the executable with some other file.

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
EDIT: never mind found one but not as good. :(

Also, going to edit Spawn positions, (Thanks for telling everyone where the Position stuff is in each stage!)
Liek Lucarios Final Smash Up more to the top of the screen so that you cant see him making it harder and so that he wont die right after. lol After today i realized i can type reeeeaaalllllyyy fast. :p

Untouch

Smash Master
K, now all i need is my old Hex editor and im good to go.

Also, going to edit Spawn positions, (Thanks for telling everyone where the Position stuff is in each stage!)
Liek Lucarios Final Smash Up more to the top of the screen so that you cant see him making it harder and so that he wont die right after. lol After today i realized i can type reeeeaaalllllyyy fast. :p
I'm not sure if that's actually it as I couldn't test it :x

Kryal

Smash Ace
Rel files are like DLLs, they contain static data and code. You cannot simply edit them without breaking the file. You would need to know assembly and memory addressing. Data and memory is addressed relative to the current address/location in the file, which is added to an offset.

If you expand/contract a part of the file you break it, because then all the references are bad. You can't go about changing these references because there are thousands of them. Pretty much the only thing we could change are static values like menu layouts. Text gets more difficult.

Kryal

Smash Ace
... they don't work. No matter what program I open them with, it says it's an unsupported file format. These programs are Windows Media Player, Windows Movie Maker, and HP Mediasmart Video Main Program.

How do I see these?
I believe I used the H263 codec. You can get it in a codec pack.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Rel files are like DLLs, they contain static data and code. You cannot simply edit them without breaking the file. You would need to know assembly and memory addressing. Data and memory is addressed relative to the current address/location in the file, which is added to an offset.

If you expand/contract a part of the file you break it, because then all the references are bad. You can't go about changing these references because there are thousands of them. Pretty much the only thing we could change are static values like menu layouts. Text gets more difficult.
Quick question: if, for instance, the .rel files control file names, and we can't edit the file names without having to edit memory offsets, wouldn't this only affect ISO hacking? SD Loading doesn't use memory offsets: it just uses file names. Couldn't we force the game to load files named whatever we choose, as long as those files are on an SD card?

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace

Ooooh... So I was off pretty far...

Kryal

Smash Ace
Quick question: if, for instance, the .rel files control file names, and we can't edit the file names without having to edit memory offsets, wouldn't this only affect ISO hacking? SD Loading doesn't use memory offsets: it just uses file names. Couldn't we force the game to load files named whatever we choose, as long as those files are on an SD card?
File loading and file paths are two separate things. The REL files are the instructions. If the instructions shift in any way, the links within those instructions will break. This is the same reason why you can't just open an exe file and change things around.

SD loading does not alter this in any way, because the instructions say 'load this file', and the game does. If you change the rel file drastically, it will instead say :'load this file OMG WHATS WRONG!?"

You can change the names/paths, so long as the text stays the same length or less. Examples:

Costume paths in sora_melee.rel (handles costume/character files):

18 characters 17 characters <- (OKAY!)
'mario/FitMario.pac' -> 'mario/FitTest.pac'

18 characters 17 characters <- (OKAY!)
'mario/FitMario.pac' -> 'drmario/FitDr.pac'

18 characters 20 characters <- (DOES NOT WORK!)
'mario/FitMario.pac' -> 'mario/FitDRMario.pac'

You also cannot increase the number of entries.

Untouch

Smash Master
Could you add a new button or would that crash because you'd need more lines?

Kryal

Smash Ace
Cannot increase the number of entries easily or cannot increase the number of entries at all?
Easily is the word. You would need to find the loading code and change offsets to a new data location that stores your extra entry. If you're familiar with code hacking, you can create a code cave and expand the data however you like. I've done this before with Castlevania SOTN.

Ianx3

Smash Cadet
I'd hate to break up y'alls conversation here, but, are there any tutorials yet on animation editing?

E-Jolteon

Smash Ace
I'd hate to break up y'alls conversation here, but, are there any tutorials yet on animation editing?
Ianx3 said:
..Anyway, no. right now all it is really is trial and error.

Also, her's a good question.. Kryal, in your animation videos, the window you were recording on was labeled "Advanced Model Editor"... Your plans in later versions with this interest me very much.

KuroBit

Smash Apprentice
Wow! The animation editor looks great. Only one problem I noticed though (actually more of a thing to make it easier). It's a bit hard to explain in words, so I'll make a picture:

This is what you have:

Which is exactly how the bone structure is set up, but notice the hand I circled, it doesn't actually look like it's closed, because there aren't bones for the tips of the fingers. It just has a rotation, translation, and scale, but no length, so it won't appear as a visual bone.

This is what it would probably look like if it did:

So my question is, do you think you could maybe make those green points have a short "stem" showing which direction they are facing?...

(Sorry if I used the wrong terms for everything...)

Untouch

Smash Master
This may seem obvious, but are you going to either

1. Label the bones on models

or show the full model on the animation?

luigiman1928

Smash Ace
Not many Suggestions going around eh? I know you're working on, Alot, but that does'nt mean that you can't take suggestions right?

If you we're planning on having BRSTM Support, make it so that when you play the BRSTM, it converts it to a WAV and it automatically plays that WAV that was made. There BRSTM support/playing. That's what Dantarion's BRSTM maker does when it plays music.

And .rel file editing. Like changing what file it loads. That would rock. Then we could have more Characters and Use all the Alloys without Cheats.

Just so you know Kryal. You're the best. notice how i am using Proper spelling just for you.

Untouch

Smash Master
I don't think .rel editing in massive amounts is possible as the file is so unstable.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Not many Suggestions going around eh? I know you're working on, Alot, but that does'nt mean that you can't take suggestions right?

If you we're planning on having BRSTM Support, make it so that when you play the BRSTM, it converts it to a WAV and it automatically plays that WAV that was made. There BRSTM support/playing. That's what Dantarion's BRSTM maker does when it plays music.

And .rel file editing. Like changing what file it loads. That would rock. Then we could have more Characters and Use all the Alloys without Cheats.

Just so you know Kryal. You're the best. notice how i am using Proper spelling just for you.
Version 0.57b did just that. It was able to stream the audio directly from the file, as well as export to a wav.

Rel editing, like exe cracking, should be reserved for those who know what they're doing. There is no easy assembly editor, which is why it must be done by hand. Down the road, I might be able to integrate a few tweaks for some things, but codes can do the same. Heavy modding is doable, but a person needs to be VERY dedicated.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Wow! The animation editor looks great. Only one problem I noticed though (actually more of a thing to make it easier). It's a bit hard to explain in words, so I'll make a picture:

This is what you have:

Which is exactly how the bone structure is set up, but notice the hand I circled, it doesn't actually look like it's closed, because there aren't bones for the tips of the fingers. It just has a rotation, translation, and scale, but no length, so it won't appear as a visual bone.

So my question is, do you think you could maybe make those green points have a short "stem" showing which direction they are facing?...

(Sorry if I used the wrong terms for everything...)
There aren't any bones connecting the knuckles to the fingertips. The polygon is what fills that in. The rotation of the end node determines the transform for the polygon. It's hard to determine the length because that's all up to the polygon. In the end, there would be a direction indicator on the node itself, and you'll have to use the polygon for the rest.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how do you view the model bones? I can't get anything to show up.
Correction: How do you view anything besides the textures by themselves (not on a model)?

STUFF2o

Smash Ace
Version 0.57b did just that. It was able to stream the audio directly from the file, as well as export to a wav.

Rel editing, like exe cracking, should be reserved for those who know what they're doing. There is no easy assembly editor, which is why it must be done by hand. Down the road, I might be able to integrate a few tweaks for some things, but codes can do the same. Heavy modding is doable, but a person needs to be VERY dedicated.
BRSTM viewing never worked for me in any version of BrawlBox. I would just get an error message when clicking on Play.

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
I'm a little confused about something. I replaced Zelda's U-Smash with Sheik's S-tilt and it did not work. Why is this? I've switched about 8 other animations, and it has worked, but this one didn't.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
I get a blank screen after the strap loader when trying to load the mu_menu and info.pac...

info.pac is no pf/info2/info.pac

mu_menumain is in pf/pfmenu2/mu_menumain.pac

what happened? :(

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Check the compression. Those files are compressed files with a .pac extension.

If you use "Save As..." to save them, you probably got uncompressed .pac files instead of compressed ones.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Oh okay, I'll try that thnx.

EDIT: Okay, now I know they're compressed, as I started fresh... I'll try it tomorrow- but those ARE the correct directories, right?

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
I get a blank screen after the strap loader when trying to load the mu_menu and info.pac...

info.pac is no pf/info2/info.pac

mu_menumain is in pf/pfmenu2/mu_menumain.pac

what happened? :(
It is actually suppose to be RSBE/pfmenu2/mu_menumain.pac.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
No wonder mines been freezin.... How would i make a Uncompressed PAC, Compressed?
Well, what I just did was I imported the msbin file, then minimized everything on the left until the only item was the info.pac. then I hit save, and it said "Compressing..." so hopefully it worked :)

It is actually suppose to be RSBE/pfmenu2/mu_menumain.pac.
Oh it is? Dang it, I just can't get that directory straight! DX yours loads though?

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Oh it is? Dang it, I just can't get that directory straight! DX yours loads though?
Yes, it loads through normally, I had that directory you had and it didn't work then I remembered that someone said the directory is pfmenu2/mu_mainmenu.pac due to some switch up or something like that and it worked perfectly.

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Yes, it loads through normally, I had that directory you had and it didn't work then I remembered that someone said the directory is pfmenu2/mu_mainmenu.pac due to some switch up or something like that and it worked perfectly.
Ah, okay then. No wonder why it froze after the strap loader... well, that and it wasnt compressed lol. thanks ^_^

EDIT: wait wait wait, now people are confusing me. Its MENU MAIN, not MAIN MENU, right? I googled and it brought up both... menu main had more suggestions, though.

Bionate

Smash Cadet
one of those guys you see jumping over stuff
a bone viewing feature? cool but how do i see it and does it let you see what you have done without having to boot brawl this would be great for my pathetic attempts at trying to make sonic's spikes the right way for shadow is there a way to make the running animation different like shadow skating?

Top Bottom