• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

& Brawl+: The Montréal Weekly Poutine Thread...With More Sauce!

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok so guys. I have an important announcement to make. I tried to reach you joel, but I couldn't, sorry.

There is this internet cafe (**** english keyboard) called NetChamp (a few of you already know it) on Ste-Catherine near metro Guy-Concordia, and there's this new console arcade thing that is starting. In other words, for those who want to know, we have an available alternative for weeklies. :)

The owners have purchased about 6-7 X360 consoles, and they are planning on expanding as well. Right now, it's being used mostly by SF4 set ups (and the same guys that go to the Cine Express weeklies, as well as the top players). That being said, I spoke to the guy responsible of the "console arcade" section of the net cafe.

Basically, he would be willing to contribute to the community and actually hosting the weeklies. The current fees are 4 dollars per station per hour. So depending on how many stations we would take, and depending on how many people are coming, we could have weeklies for almost dirt cheap. Since we would not be committed to time, we could have some people pay only for 2 hours and leave, and have others stay for 7h, but since we would be a crap load of people, it won't become more expensive than our current rate.

That being said, it would be possible to discuss with the owner and trying to set up something. Also, if this was to happen, weeklies could happen at any time we want. We could even move the weeklies on different days, etc. The console arcade is open from 5 to midnight, except on fridays and saturdays when it's open until 3am.

I explained to him how our weeklies work, and he seems very knowledgeable about his stuff. He knows how to repair consoles, and he is ok with soft modding of wiis. Depending on interest (and interests ;)), he is actively considering to buy consoles and even soft modding them to have Brawl+, and such. All in all, I think we have a very valid alternative for the weeklies.

I even told him about concerns when it came to tvs lagging, and he said he could try to accommodate us as well. That being said, we could have many set ups. 4 people playing for 1h would be 1 dollar each, etc. If we are 12 at a weeklies, we could get like 4 tvs, and pay only for the amount of time deemed necessary. I think this would be a good opportunity to boost the community once again. We could also dump tvs there.

edit: The name of the guy responsible is Jin. He said "If there's an interest, and involvement; if it gets serious and people do come, we can buy tvs". also, what is seen in the pics is like, stage 1 of the expansion plan. They are gonna have more tables and tvs in the adjacent room (the last pics).
I'd say HYPE but the word has been overused lately. And he's gonna be lurking this thread I guess? So yea, what do you guys think?

ThatGuy

Smash Master
An interesting alternative to say the least; although both Steb and Thad told be about it beforehand chet lol. I'm planning on checking the place out for myself, I thought the place was closed for renovation but I guess not lol.

In any case, it would definately be a good thing to not only reduce the entrance fee, but to (hopefully) solve our historically biggest issues in both number of setups and space. Saying something and actually doing them is a different matter though, so I'm really interested in seeing if they are actually going to purchase more CRT's and/or wiis to help promote and expand the weeklies. That also means we have to do our part in attending en masse, people!

Steb

Smash Journeyman
I went there last Friday. The amount of set-ups is insane. We were about 20 - 40 people, and almost everyone was able to play non-stop without any problems.

Few notes:
- Right now they only have a few free TVs on 1 side of the room. The 8 head to head stations are not to be moved around. But they're expanding according to Chet, so that's great.
- They also have a bunch of snacks, so it's like a mini dep.
- Only problem I have with the place right now is the washroom, which has no door to the room or the stall, no seat on the toilet, and no way to dry your hands. It's a minor problem really.

They have a video and pictures on their Facebook page. You can see me in the video winning in our ******** El Fuerte ditto.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=186337348488&ref=nf&v=wall

Anyways, I'm hoping we can get a deal there, because the place is awesome.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Wondering if i could get in contact with them to rent the space(well setups, you get what i mean >.>) to do some tourneys : D. I wonder if they have wifi too, we could stream!

kr3wman

Smash Master
this looks hella fun. They have a tournament friday? Who's going? I dont want to go there without knowing anybody lol

''what's you main game?''
''Errh...Smash?''
''...''

=)

Sphyra

Smash Apprentice
Netchamp's pretty cool. It's a corner from where I work too so I could drop by after work npnp. Could probably throw some BB in on the side too :happyface:.

Agora

Smash Journeyman
It sounds like a great place, but I wonder if it'll solve our main problem of having little to no attendance right now, I doubt the location was the problem in the first place; it's loss of interest and players moving to other games.

If this brings back vBrawl players, though, then sure, I'm in.

Well, if some Blazblue stuff starts happening there, though, it could be sweet.

swordgard

Smash Hero
It sounds like a great place, but I wonder if it'll solve our main problem of having little to no attendance right now, I doubt the location was the problem in the first place; it's loss of interest and players moving to other games.

I simply cant go on weekdays so **** late, though il restart going once school is over. Il probably bring along a couple of peoples.

zaf

Smash Lord
oh ****, netchamp is awesome. I used to know people who worked there back a few years when i was playing sc there. It is really roomy and im surprised none of us thought about that place until now.

If we change to netchamp, i will still bring tv's, possibily even two of them all the time, to help the attendance ( and since my car has the room).

Good stuff reggie.

EDIT: I'll be attending this weekly with some poutine, probably jer too

ThatGuy

Smash Master

Haha I was hoping no one would say that Agora ;). It's definitely not the holy grail to revitalize the community, that's something that we need to improve ourselves. You hit the nail on the head.

That being said, if Netchamp does prove to be as good as claimed, it would serve as a solid foundation to attract more players.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
The overpriced entry fee, the cramped gaming space, lack of the staff's involvement, Netchamp seems to be a fix to those problems. As a plus, it's open 24h, with cheap internet access (i think it's like 2.50$/h), in the middle of downtown with countless of restaurants and bars nearby. I'm all for it, but that shouldn't come as a surprise....I've always had a thing against Gamer's World.

Sanu

Smash Champion
For any Melee players who were planning on going to OiN3.14

For anyone who doesn't know, there was supposed to be a Melee&Brawl tournament this weekend in Niagara, but it was cancelled. As such, one individual in the community decided to step up and host a Melee-Only tournament this Saturday (November 14th). I'm considering going and I want everyone who attends this event to consider it as well.

Here's the link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=255013

Smokey

Smash Rookie
IT would be nice to have all the fighting game communities under 1 roof I hope you guys switch over I cant believe u guys are still at gamers worls after all these years O___O

zaf

Smash Lord
Smash will have it's own seperate night during the week right?
Or are the plans to just pick a date and show up there regardless of what is already happening that night at netchamp?

ThatGuy

Smash Master
IT would be nice to have all the fighting game communities under 1 roof I hope you guys switch over I cant believe u guys are still at gamers worls after all these years O___O
Can't see why this is a surprise if no one can host events like these on a regular basis, and no one feels like looking for another location.

@zaf: None of us thought of that place probably because they never had TVs (or monitors acting as TVs) before, it seems that section opened up just this Friday.

So I checked out the place briefly with Steb, and it definately looks a lot roomier than the pictures Reggie gave us. It's a work-in-progress right now; there's some stuff Jin said he was going to clean up and make room for some more space. He's getting some special adapters to hook wiis up to monitors so I'm interested in seeing how that works out quality and lag-wise, I also find his proposal of head-to-head setups interesting, although I would probably prefer the social aspect of playing next to your opponents; I guess I'm old fashioned :lick:.

The stuff they sell is more expensive than at Gamers' World, so I would recommend to do your junk food runs at the nearby Pharmaprix. Plenty of restaurants (although some of them may be more expensive than usual).

As for pricing: due to the different nature of the way we'd be paying, the price varies between both places. At Gamers' World, we're getting 4 setups for 5 hours, for 7 bucks (5 with a Wii). I know that we don't use 2 of the TV's but this is what we're getting. At this place, for every 4 bucks, we get a setup for an hour.

The advantage of Gamers' World is that it's actually cheaper for us with smaller turnouts, at least for the time we're paying for, because we get more setups to work with. The advantage of Netchamp is that it will not only be more cost effective with a larger turnout, but we'll also gain access to more stations if required. I'm thinking that a 3:1 person:TV ratio is optimal for our needs. Another advantage is that it's much more flexible price and timewise, since we get more time, or less time if we choose to and thus not having to worry about paying more than expected.

Parking is torture downtown, so don't expect to be driving to Netchamp every week if you want to keep your sanity.

BTW, how does the EVO community pay for their stations? Do they have an organized timekeeper or something?

So yeah, this place sounds like a real alternative. Really, the only thing I'm concerned about is if this business is in for the long term or not. Jin seems like a cool guy and looks pretty enthusiastic about all of this. I'm just a bit concerned about how stable the whole thing is. I mean, the business is new (or at least this section of it is), he's investing a lot in consoles and peripherals, and to my knowledge he's not directly under the influence of Netchamp itself (correct me if I'm wrong here please!). I don't want to burn some bridges only to find out that the guy went bankrupt A La Gameunicon. I know I'm just being pessimistic here, but I always like to prepare for the worst if it's going to come to that.

In any case, I think we should try setting up some weeklies at Netchamp to see how it works out, starting next week. If you guys have a preferred date (that's not Friday) then speak now, otherwise we'll have it on our traditional Wednesday. Try to show up en masse so we can make a good impression!

Sphyra

Smash Apprentice
**** I just noticed bento playing 3S on the video.

Bento play with me on 2df!

play real gaems like cota imo

Actually pretty hyped up about NC mostly because I could harass people to get off their nintendo battle brothers or whatever to play other **** with me (like bb), since it seems there will be a variety of games. The whole thing makes me think of how modern arcades should look like (you know, arcades with various games, not like 2k) and I find it very beautiful.

BentoBox

Smash Master
this looks hella fun. They have a tournament friday? Who's going? I dont want to go there without knowing anybody lol

''what's you main game?''
''Errh...Smash?''
''...''

=)
Friday, the SF community is having a Ranbat (tourney) from 7pm to 3am. I didn't know they were planning other events as well~

**** I just noticed bento playing 3S on the video.

Bento play with me on 2df!
Ahah, I never played 3S before in my life. I was just curious and wanted to try out the few characters that might make it to SSF4 (makoto, ibuki, dudley~).

NC is ghetto as **** from outside (pretty sure it used to be a strip club) but once you get inside and start to play, its pretty much gaming haven.

kr3wman

Smash Master
7pm to 3am?

cool stuff. I might need to sleep at someone's tho.

:/

still wanna play on 2df?

BentoBox

Smash Master
7pm to 3am?

cool stuff. I might need to sleep at someone's tho.

:/

still wanna play on 2df?
Well I doubt the tourney is going to take that much time considering we have 10 set ups :p But NC closes down at 3am and if last friday is any indication of how things might turn out, I suspect people will stay and play until then~

And sure, we can play 2df, I won't be much of a challenge though :p

DarkISDA

Smash Lord
Anyday of the week. Though the pricing of the NC place looks costier than GW, if attendance is not high. More flexible, I'd agree, but meh. Let's see how it'll turn out first!

kr3wman

Smash Master
Well I doubt the tourney is going to take that much time considering we have 10 set ups :p But NC closes down at 3am and if last friday is any indication of how things might turn out, I suspect people will stay and play until then~

And sure, we can play 2df, I won't be much of a challenge though :p
I'm horrible too at 3S, it's just so fun to play.

Smokey

Smash Rookie
Can't see why this is a surprise if no one can host events like these on a regular basis, and no one feels like looking for another location.

!
LOOL I didnt mean it as "Wtf u guys still go to that **** place" No what I meant was I went there like 3 or 4 years ago I didnt think u guys were still doing the bi-weekly at the same place haha

And how many ppl go to the bi-weeklies usually? Ive been to NCBA From Friday to Monday and I played from 6pm to 1am and it cost me like 7$ each day we were around 12-15 ppl and at least 3-4 ppl left without paying LOL so its really cheap and I was playing non-stop with a few breaks to watch the others

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
The attendance being high really doesn't change the price, if we wanna keep it at 3:1 person : tv ratio, it would be $1.33/person/hour. Even if we increase the amount of people, for example if we have 12 people we need 4 setups to maintain the ratio at $4/hour each which remains $1.33/person/hour. This price is essentially "fixed" in that if we keep the ratio, each individual person will be paying that. This essentially comes down to $6.65 for 5 hours. So the price really isn't much different but I really do like the flexibility and if there's more room I'm all for it, I think we should go with Wednesday still, but regardless of the date, I'll show up.

zaf

Smash Lord
I still like wednesday's. It's the most flexible gaming day for me at the moment.
If we go to netchamp, do i still brings tvs? or will this problem be solved?

edit: i think i will be missing the weekly

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Well driving to Netchamp will be a hassle for you zaf, it's a lot more inconvenient. However, the TVs will probably be appreciated early on though, as he has a limited amount of actual CRT televisions. Right now he's planning on getting special adapters to hook up the consoles to CRT computer monitors, but of course he needs them to be tested with the Wii consoles first to see if they are up to par with our standards before he invests further.

So do what you will.

mongmong

Smash Cadet
Hey guys my name is Jin i'm one of the guy that is running NCBA at Netchamp. I will be doing some test at NCBA for a wii setup and was wondering if any one of you would like to come and check it out so that I meet the standards of how you guys like the setup and also if the graphics, lag, quality meets the requirement of how you have things at the moment. Also it would be great to learn more in detail as to what size screen/tv is needed for 1v1 and 2v2 and meeles. Also do you guys play on cube pads or on sticks or ps pads? Lastly if someone can bring a copy of ssbb since i for some reason can't find my copy.... that would be really appreciated. Hope to meet you there thanx.

Jin aka mongmong

kr3wman

Smash Master
I won't be there, I got in trouble at schoolz yo.

Hey guys my name is Jin i'm one of the guy that is running NCBA at Netchamp. I will be doing some test at NCBA for a wii setup and was wondering if any one of you would like to come and check it out so that I meet the standards of how you guys like the setup and also if the graphics, lag, quality meets the requirement of how you have things at the moment. Also it would be great to learn more in detail as to what size screen/tv is needed for 1v1 and 2v2 and meeles. Also do you guys play on cube pads or on sticks or ps pads? Lastly if someone can bring a copy of ssbb since i for some reason can't find my copy.... that would be really appreciated. Hope to meet you there thanx.

Jin aka mongmong
we play on cube pads, nothing really differs from sf from what I've seen in regard to tvs, just the less input lag possible is the best option, and it doesn't change from smash to smash.

Top Bottom