• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ - Official 5.0 RC1 Build is now online! (Re-Use Autoupdater, Snake bug fixed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Yeah I thought that would happen falco400. If only there was a way to put the fire effect on the arrows :[. Bowser has an fsmash fire effect I wouldnt mind fire effect in the second hit of fsmash it would look sexy. Also, I think there should be campers and aggro characters. Its boring if its either way. If every character is aggro it gets boring. If every character is campy (lol vbrawl) it gets boring. I think some characters should still have the ability to camp. Other characters have been given more approach options and tools to stop camping so I dont see a problem with it.

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
ToxiCrow said:
Then people who didn't like it could just play Lucas, since he is mostly the same as Ness right now anyway;
other than the names of their specials, they play nothing alike. at all
Except that some people asking for Ness buffs are suggesting things that just make him more like Lucas, like buffing his recovery and speeding up his bat. What I was saying was, if you want a character that is buffed to be more like Lucas, then just play Lucas. Allow Ness to actually get some unique buffs -- DJC IMO.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
^ another hater of campers, I like it.
And I was a ROB main in vBrawl :p

Also, I think there should be campers and aggro characters. Its boring if its either way. If every character is aggro it gets boring. If every character is campy (lol vbrawl) it gets boring. I think some characters should still have the ability to camp. Other characters have been given more approach options and tools to stop camping so I dont see a problem with it.
I don't really disagree, but... it's one thing to allow camping to be a viable strategy for characters who have always been good at it, it's a completely different thing to encourage it for a character who didn't used to be such a strong camper.

As for removing Falco's SHDL, it wouldn't hurt his approach game at all, it would just let tall characters be able to compete with him a little better without being completely shut down.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
@ Nybb- I like the idea of ness having double jump cancel. It would make him feel a whole lot different from other characters. Ness is right now imo a very mediocre character compared to the rest of the brawl + cast.
@ Jceasar- yeah I would love falco's SHDL to go too its just...ridiculous (not as ridiculous as in vbrawl tho)

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Except that some people asking for Ness buffs are suggesting things that just make him more like Lucas, like buffing his recovery and speeding up his bat. What I was saying was, if you want a character that is buffed to be more like Lucas, then just play Lucas. Allow Ness to actually get some unique buffs -- DJC IMO.
Good man, couldn't agree more.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Don't remove falco sh dl it's a staple of his and would piss off the many MANY falco users.

As far as ivy i have grown to love sh double razor leaf. It saves my *** in 2v1 at the end of team battles. But he don't NEED it.

Also i stand corrected ivy is a beast in doubles but in 1v1 he isn't that good. He has combos but none of which goes into a kill move.(Down throw to uair is easily di'ed) I got ***** by a kirby lol. Ivy in doubles peach in singles!!

Yingyay

Smash Ace
Don't remove falco sh dl it's a staple of his and would piss off the many MANY falco users.

As far as ivy i have grown to love sh double razor leaf. It saves my *** in 2v1 at the end of team battles. But he don't NEED it.

Also i stand corrected ivy is a beast in doubles but in 1v1 he isn't that good. He has combos but none of which goes into a kill move.(Down throw to uair is easily di'ed) I got ***** by a kirby lol. Ivy in doubles peach in singles!!
You could actually do SH razor-leaf into Fsmash at mid-high percents tho.
Kirby ***** everything >_> i hatezz dat der kirbeh

Marufuji Ryo

Smash Apprentice
It seems I can't get the 5-8 pal set to work with textures, is there another way I can load both textures and brawl+?

Also I would like to add a custom css screen while using brawl+, when I make a separate gct for that what would I need to do so that I can load the textures, brawl+ and the CSS all at the same time?

Roxas215

Smash Lord
You could actually do SH razor-leaf into Fsmash at mid-high percents tho.
Kirby ***** everything >_> i hatezz dat der kirbeh
Yea that puffball is indeed ****. One grab= 30% or more. But i cant be too mad cause kirby looks so cool whooping your *** lol.

O and not that tink needs it cause he is already EXTREMELY GOOD. But since we talkin fire elements is there anyway to give tink his fire spike back? I have friends who said the would play brawl+ for this sole reason if it was added back. Also it gives more options into his spike.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
If not fsmash I would love his fire spike it wouldnt look weird XD. Unlike normal arrows setting ppl in flames o_O. I so support the fire spike.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
fire spike? aint it just dair with fire effects? how would that give it more options other than to spike? lol
I say give ike's fsmash fire effect, Atom Splitting Slash o Doom.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Lets not overdo the fire thingy lol we dont want to have all attacks having fire effect do we? As much as I love fire. I just support fire spike and fire fsmash. Nothing else.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
lol just brainstorming nonsense is all. None to be taken seriously.
Whats the difference between fire spike and regular spike tho?

Roxas215

Smash Lord
fire spike? aint it just dair with fire effects? how would that give it more options other than to spike? lol
I say give ike's fsmash fire effect, Atom Splitting Slash o Doom.
In melee young link had two spikes and you had to hit them differently the fire spike had to be connected with the hilt of the sword. Regular spike was the tip of the sword. Is it possible to add this to brawl+?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
After watching Shiken and RyokoYakasa play multiple matches over wifi.

I've seriously come to the conclusion that Ivy's up B is not as bad as what some of you make it. :/

Ivy needs to be in perfect diagonally alignment to stage spike, and if she isnt. She cant stage spike, and the player can just stay on the ledge til Ivy dies. Whenever I saw Ivy near the perfect position for an up B stage spike, I just ledge hopped and used my inviciframes to protect myself while she wasn in the perfect position.

Its seriously not OP'd at all. No one who watched the stream thought so. There were no stage spikes as Ivy either.

wtf @ people saying its too good. The hell if it is. All you need is good timing.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
After watching Shiken and RyokoYakasa play multiple matches over wifi.

I've seriously come to the conclusion that Ivy's up B is not as bad as what some of you make it. :/

Ivy needs to be in perfect diagonally alignment to stage spike, and if she isnt. She cant stage spike, and the player can just stay on the ledge til Ivy dies. Whenever I saw Ivy near the perfect position for an up B stage spike, I just ledge hopped and used my inviciframes to protect myself while she wasn in the perfect position.

Its seriously not OP'd at all. No one who watched the stream thought so. There were no stage spikes as Ivy either.

wtf @ people saying its too good. The hell if it is. All you need is good timing.
Yea i also came to the conclusion it's not as overpowered as i thought it was. My 1st impressions was from doubles where i landed 2 stage spikes. Ivy is WAY better in doubles which is probably due to the close combat nature of 2v2 rather then 1v1.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
There are characters that are generally sauce in doubles. GaW and Zamus. MK and Nado and some random player. Ivy and idk someone else.

But in 1 v 1s. Ivy's up B is like Ness' It just takes longer to kill them. LOL.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Mmm... removing that is also helping the person who is going to kill the opponent for no reason. Edgeguarding has a really, really high reward, more than any other action in the game. .
.Keeping it in gives the person recovering additional help for no reason. Getting knocked off the stage is supposed to be scary and surviving it back is what makes smash exciting.
Giving more options for edgeguarding it's making it less risky, which seems unfair to me
So you want to force people to jump out for the gimp...like..force them? It seems unfair to me how easy it is to recover in this game due to the ledges being so stupid. If you get knocked off the stage, find a way to recover without the ledge grabbing you. (my second to last paragraph also applies here as well
Nevertheless, I wouldn't care if you don't sweetspot when hitting a shield (i think you're right, there's nothing bad with using it offensively), but I'm really like the fact that you sweetspot when u hit the opponent. Opponent's fault. It makes edgeguarding more challenging, while keeping it possible
Arbitrarily challenging and arbitrarily limiting. Why do you assume that it is the opponents fault for getting hit? I know we don't have CCing, but in melee, a form of edge guarding would be to purposely get hit in order to edge guard. Should he be punished for it? There are still times where you can purposely get hit in brawl+ and still get the edge guard so why should a move act differently when you hit someone? It makes no sense and makes the game inconsistent.

Also, you can even auto sweet spot when you hit people below you as well. So for example if you go to spike samus or something and she uses her up b at a point where she would miss the sweet spot, she auto sweet spots anyway and you are unprepared for it and most likely die. Or another example would be if you are somehow below the stage with a marth or someone and they up b and hit you, you have no chance to walljump tech and hit them back because they have auto sweet spotted to lagless ledges. We all obviously know that this is a glitch in how the ledges are supposed to act so we need to keep the ledges acting like an ledges

On the topic of sweet-spotting the edge when you hi the opponent. I like that idea, why should the person recovering get punished for nearly making it there?
Because they failed? Close isn't good enough. Second place is the 1st loser. Be more careful next time and be more skilled at recovering.
If the edge0guarder doesnt succeed in gimping then thats their punishment, either getting hit or allowing the person to grab the edge. Keep it I say.
No. We should not accept game mechanics that play favorites and game mechanics programmed so terribly to get in the way of the game. I am fighting the player...not the game so the only person forcing me to gimp them is the player...not the game. It is my choice how I decided to edge guard and there is nothing wrong with sitting on the ledge and punishing from there because you messed up on sweet spotting. Did you know that if you are skillful enough to sweet spot the ledge without the ledge grabbing you, side b auto sweetspotting or any of this nonsense we are talking about, then sitting on the ledge to punish does nothing? Did you know that skillful sweet spotting is a way to get the edge guarder off the ledge and for you, the player, to force a riskier edge guarding gimp? This is how it is supposed to be.

Sweet spotting and most importantly...recovering is a skill. It is not taken for granted and its not something that is based on arbitrary rules such as auto sweet spotting when hitting something and it must be fixed

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
In melee young link had two spikes and you had to hit them differently the fire spike had to be connected with the hilt of the sword. Regular spike was the tip of the sword. Is it possible to add this to brawl+?
in Melee, the only way to get a spike off his dair is the fire. Any other way launches the enemy up.

I would know. my combo video is like 30 percent fire spikes lol

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
All of Sonic's moves should have a fire effect, he's moving so fast that he creates crazy friction and actually lights people on fire with his attacks. :)

:p

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Although I'm always one to encourage bringing out your inner pyro, I think we need to cool it (pun not intended) on the fire effects for a bit. At least until we have a code that removes the pokemon weaknesses so we don't end up making ivy get ***** while squirtle gets a free resistance to the attacks for no particular reason.

Also, need I remind everyone that this thread is supposed to be for discussing the nightly builds, not idle chit-chat.

bajisci

Smash Ace
were those elemental 1.1x kb things on ivysaur in vbrawl? they sucked so bad i never cared to find out ><, and does lightning do 1.1x kb to squirtle ?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
were those elemental 1.1x kb things on ivysaur in vbrawl? they sucked so bad i never cared to find out ><, and does lightning do 1.1x kb to squirtle ?
Yes, they were in vbrawl, but no, electric does not do anything different to squirtle. The only types that matter for PT's pokemon are grass, water, and fire. Fire is pretty well widespread, so it hurts ivy and helps squirtle a lot, whereas water and grass are very rare (ivy is the only char with grass attacks in the game afaik).

Arw1ng

Smash Rookie
Jiggly's Rest should have Peach's heart (utilt and fb) effect for teh lulzies o:

Rudra

Smash Ace
Jiggly's Rest should have Peach's heart (utilt and fb) effect for teh lulzies o:
I thought it was supposed to send you to the heavens in a blaze of glory. =/

Oh well. I can agree with this, though while its more suitable (imo), its not as epic.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
.Keeping it in gives the person recovering additional help for no reason. Getting knocked off the stage is supposed to be scary and surviving it back is what makes smash exciting.
So you want to force people to jump out for the gimp...like..force them? It seems unfair to me how easy it is to recover in this game due to the ledges being so stupid. If you get knocked off the stage, find a way to recover without the ledge grabbing you. (my second to last paragraph also applies here as well
Arbitrarily challenging and arbitrarily limiting. Why do you assume that it is the opponents fault for getting hit? I know we don't have CCing, but in melee, a form of edge guarding would be to purposely get hit in order to edge guard. Should he be punished for it? There are still times where you can purposely get hit in brawl+ and still get the edge guard so why should a move act differently when you hit someone? It makes no sense and makes the game inconsistent.

Also, you can even auto sweet spot when you hit people below you as well. So for example if you go to spike samus or something and she uses her up b at a point where she would miss the sweet spot, she auto sweet spots anyway and you are unprepared for it and most likely die. Or another example would be if you are somehow below the stage with a marth or someone and they up b and hit you, you have no chance to walljump tech and hit them back because they have auto sweet spotted to lagless ledges. We all obviously know that this is a glitch in how the ledges are supposed to act so we need to keep the ledges acting like an ledges

Because they failed? Close isn't good enough. Second place is the 1st loser. Be more careful next time and be more skilled at recovering.
No. We should not accept game mechanics that play favorites and game mechanics programmed so terribly to get in the way of the game. I am fighting the player...not the game so the only person forcing me to gimp them is the player...not the game. It is my choice how I decided to edge guard and there is nothing wrong with sitting on the ledge and punishing from there because you messed up on sweet spotting. Did you know that if you are skillful enough to sweet spot the ledge without the ledge grabbing you, side b auto sweetspotting or any of this nonsense we are talking about, then sitting on the ledge to punish does nothing? Did you know that skillful sweet spotting is a way to get the edge guarder off the ledge and for you, the player, to force a riskier edge guarding gimp? This is how it is supposed to be.

Sweet spotting and most importantly...recovering is a skill. It is not taken for granted and its not something that is based on arbitrary rules such as auto sweet spotting when hitting something and it must be fixed
Ugh, this argument can go both ways.
I believe that you should either hit them on time and not get hit.
You're saying the person recovering should go through hell recovering.
Im saying that its not that hard to gimp most of the gimpable characters. If they somehow hit you because you're being sloppy then I dont see the big deal on them auto-sweet-spotting.
What youre sayin is a valid reason why it should go but thats just my opinion about the matter.

_clinton

Smash Master
The fact that the bat reflects means it doesnt suck, have you ever reflected samus charge shot near point blank. I bet you the Samus player (no names mentioned lol) said everything about the bat except for it sucked. Just a little bit of timing practice wouldnt hur anybody.
Please look at what you are saying right here...

There are three things you need to factor in...

The situation (ground only)
Player reaction time
The 21 frames needed

I don't think making the bat 7 frames faster would be that big of a deal if we want to make them truly equal reflectors...

Of course there are some other things we could do (just up the speed to Wolf's reflector speed and up the % as well)

So, here's my beef with Ness, but it also directly correlates to Lucas. When we started with a large amount of the character adjustments, Lucas was one of the original big 5 we knew that needed help. So we buffed him and brought him into line with the other characters. Ness has kind of been left to himself and until recently was deemed an acceptable character.
Well...with everyone else getting buffs what is wrong with another one?

What I want to do with Ness is try something NEW and EXCITING to buff him back into range of the others characters. I don't think he needs an entire retooling, but giving him a few new exciting techniques would be far more fun then "Generic Bat Speed Up". I'd like to sit down and talk to Ness mains and give Ness something really special to truly make him different then his clone, cause right now I'd argue they are the 'cloniest' of the clones.
I'm ok with the magnet boost (Lucas' magnet right now recovers faster, has a larger absorb box, and recovers more %...the only thing Ness' magnet has is the wind...which isn't much...the only thing they are equal on is start up time (frame 10))

Making Ness' Magnet come out on frame 3 (instead of 10) would be great with me...because that is where Fox's reflector comes out on for one...plus I like the idea of a wind boost

However, sense you are looking for ideas...

-Yoyo charge can move
-Running speed gets faster as you run (Ness' can ****ing teleport...why not?)

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
Yes, they were in vbrawl, but no, electric does not do anything different to squirtle. The only types that matter for PT's pokemon are grass, water, and fire. Fire is pretty well widespread, so it hurts ivy and helps squirtle a lot, whereas water and grass are very rare (ivy is the only char with grass attacks in the game afaik).
fire resistance hurt squirtle in some instances because it's harder for him to get out of flamethrow/pk fire/etc
i don't know any characters who attack with water other than squirtle (i dont count fludd) or grass, unless pikmin count.

Yingyay

Smash Ace

The situation (ground only) So what? So is Lucas's
Player reaction time Are you saying that it should come out as fast as fox and falco's?
The 21 frames needed Well it also counts as one of his KO moves so you gotta factor that in

I don't think making the bat 7 frames faster would be that big of a deal if we want to make them truly equal reflectors... Ness and Lucas are different so why make them similar? Ness does more damage and kills earlier I beleve
These are my responses in Italics

Mattnumbers

Smash Master

The situation (ground only)
Player reaction time
The 21 frames needed

I don't think making the bat 7 frames faster would be that big of a deal if we want to make them truly equal reflectors
I think making the bat faster would make it too similar to the stick, instead we should push it more to the other end of the spectrum (more powerful) to further separate the two attacks.

And for the rest of your ideas, frame 3 is too fast, fox's shine only reflects, Ness's Psimagnet gives him health. Sure make it a bit faster but not that fast. I do like the other ideas you had though.

Revven

FrankerZ
The tipper of Ness's bat should be a 10% difference, the pitiful 4% difference isn't rewarding enough especially considering the following:

1. Brawl+ is a faster paced game, you're not going to be landing that Fsmash any easier than you could before. In fact, I'm willing to say it is harder to hit with, even when you don't space it for the tipper.

2. Ness has kinda poor killing options, Bair doesn't kill until well above 120% IIRC and Uair doesn't kill as early on most characters with some Dgrav added on (it's like a 5% difference at most). He needs something strong that ends their life for a risk-reward kinda thing. Lucas doesn't have this except Usmash, however that is easier to land in comparison to Ness's bat which he cannot simply run and slide across the stage with like Lucas can.

3. It's risky to use the Fsmash in the first place. There's a small chance you will catch them off guard but, how many times is that honestly going to work? Not that well...

In ANY CASE, leaf as I remember earlier said not to discuss buffs/nerfs here and this thread's purpose being to discuss the Nightly Builds (basically giving feedback) so can we move off of Ness and get back to feedback? (This does not mean you should post about the build if you've already posted about it. Just don't post if you've already given your feedback).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom