• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl model extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Hm.. This is interesting.

So what I'm understanding is that when the converter is done, I can make a model of a character that I like. (Say, an original character) and if I match up the bones ext... I should be able to import them into brawl without a hitch? (I'll most likely have to replace ZSS or Capt Falcon with my character if I want to though.)

Now, you said something about using the shd file to change hitboxes as well? Think you would also be able to change animations as well?

And this is really far off, but if I make my character completely balanced and enough people like her, you could add her into Brawl+? (She is totally original.)

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I was hoping I could get the opinions of modelers on some problems I'm having. I am now trying to generate the code exactly as they have it int the original brres, however this faces some major problems (mostly relating to textures).

Firstly, there's the issue of transparency. Certain textures (like the eyesYellow textures) are transparent in all but certain events. This also applies to things like Fox's blaster which is visible in the holster when not in use, but then switches to a new model when fired, making the holster texture invisible. I think I can decode this, but the problem is then how do we apply it to extracted models? How does the brres creator know which textures are visible at what times? There may need to be some kind of tag system, but that comes with the potential of either extra files or decreased compatibility with file names.

Alternatively I could make this manual where it lists all the textures and the user must go through and choose which ones are transparent in which cases. This adds more manual work for the user which is something I'm really trying to avoid.

Another problem when dealing with character models is that every material actually has two textures applied to it, one for the original and one for the global metal texture. I could put these into the extracted models as seperate (unused) textures and handle them that way, however that would also require anyone making new models (or possibly editing old ones) to make sure there is a corresponding metal texture for all the other textures. Alternatively I could add a "use metal" option that will try to duplicate the metal texture effects to its best guess.

Finally, and this is the most immediate issue, is the fact that the model needs to know what format the textures will be in. Textures with palettes are handled differently than textures without, and models that use texture with palettes have an two entirely different sections devoted to handling palettes. It's hard to generate a stand alone model without this info and this info is trouble to obtain unless I added an entire texture conversion process into the main build (something I was putting off until I had the models working).

So, those are the biggest problems I face right now. While the data specifics can be set manually for testing purposes, I'm going to need some way to handle those to make it universal.

Knightcrawler

Smash Journeyman
IMO:

The invisible texture thing's a bit hard, yeah. I'd say to go with a tagging system. By that I guess you mean you tag textures that might be invisible at certain times, and then animation data would turn them on and off in-game? You said you'd go for a GUI, so I think it could also warn people to change the filename of the texture when it's tagged.

As for the metallic textures, if it's only the characters, I'd say having an option/radio button in the GUI for extracting/creating character model data. When it's selected, it'll tell you that you can add metallic textures to the materials. I would definitely provide some documentation as to how it should be added (for the final release). Is it supposed to be applied to the material in exactly the same way as the regular texture? If the game crashes without a metallic texture, just have users copy the regular texture, or do it automatically. Or maybe just apply a completely gray texture automatically if that can be done. But I'd say to extract the metallic texture from in-game models, for sure.

Can Brawl even use textures with no palette? Anyway, what kind of info do you need? Just saying which textures have palettes and how many colors? And if they're color or monochrome (I guess for more texture palettes that wouldn't matter anyway)? Or do we have to punch in the colors individually in a list? Should we load up the textures into an image-editing program and save the palette, then import it into your exporter? I think most image-editing programs have their own proprietary palette formats... You'd have to pick a few to support.

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
Pharrox check your email. Also that metal texture thing, i remember converting a normal texture to an emerald texture and it had something to do with that. If you want me to look for the info on the metal stuff, say so.

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
IMO:

The invisible texture thing's a bit hard, yeah. I'd say to go with a tagging system. By that I guess you mean you tag textures that might be invisible at certain times, and then animation data would turn them on and off in-game? You said you'd go for a GUI, so I think it could also warn people to change the filename of the texture when it's tagged.

As for the metallic textures, if it's only the characters, I'd say having an option/radio button in the GUI for extracting/creating character model data. When it's selected, it'll tell you that you can add metallic textures to the materials. I would definitely provide some documentation as to how it should be added (for the final release). Is it supposed to be applied to the material in exactly the same way as the regular texture? If the game crashes without a metallic texture, just have users copy the regular texture, or do it automatically. Or maybe just apply a completely gray texture automatically if that can be done. But I'd say to extract the metallic texture from in-game models, for sure.

Can Brawl even use textures with no palette? Anyway, what kind of info do you need? Just saying which textures have palettes and how many colors? And if they're color or monochrome (I guess for more texture palettes that wouldn't matter anyway)? Or do we have to punch in the colors individually in a list? Should we load up the textures into an image-editing program and save the palette, then import it into your exporter? I think most image-editing programs have their own proprietary palette formats... You'd have to pick a few to support.
I'm probably just going to use the check box for textures, hopefully that will come out okay. The metalic texture format depends on the format of the original texture it's replacing.

As for the palette thing, Brawl uses 11 different image formats. To copy from Gary's documentation, they are:

0: I4
1: I8
2: IA4
3: IA8
4: RGB565
5: RGB5A3
6: RGBA8
8: CI4 *
9: CI8 *
10: CI14X2 *
14: CMP

The ones with a * are ones that use palettes. In most image files we have that use palettes, the palette and the image data are all in one file. In Brawl, there are two seperate files for a texture and its palette. The model needs to be able to link with any file that could be applied to it. I probably explained that very very poorly. Since the converter can only see the names of images in .png format, it doesn't know what it will be when converted over to Brawl, so it can't know if it will need a palette. It doesn't need to know anything about the palette like the number of colors or what they are, it just needs to know if it has to keep track of an extra file.

Pharrox check your email. Also that metal texture thing, i remember converting a normal texture to an emerald texture and it had something to do with that. If you want me to look for the info on the metal stuff, say so.
Done. And if you wouldn't mind checking into the effects of emerald textures that would be great. :)

nonameboy

Smash Rookie
Hey! How did you flip the normals? and which smoothing tool did you use? :bee:
1. Hide all the bones
2. Select a body part
3. Copy its skin modifier
4. Add a normal modifier
5. Convert into editable poly
6. Go into elements and press ctrl+a (that will select all the polygons on that object)
7. Scroll down to smoothing groups and click on auto smooth
8. Exit the editable poly mode and paste your skin modifier
9. Do the same for all the parts

thats it ;)

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
EDIT

if you want a 1:1 copy as close as possible, it be wiser to not let the program inject anymore then whats already there.

cause for eyes, they're probably specified in the brres file, since the texture doesn't seem globally named. O_o or is it? but anyway it makes it now a duck hunt decoding

either way, I would find it more important, to be able to inject larger maps. instead or more maps

3d modelers can easily re-work textures and the model to fit with any existing number of textures used in the brres file. the key is being able to increase the map dimension to hold more of your models geometry.

so for ease of frustration, I think it be best not to attempt to re-write how and which textures overrides another during a special events.

if anything, you can have a display warning if someone tries to reassign a new texture name. "Warning Injection of new textures is experimental, and may result in undesired effects" ..something like that

that way you can keep the stability of the program, but leave that function to be used by the modder for wider flexibility... however unstably that my be for now

nonameboy

Smash Rookie
yeah just what I did look

[/URL][/IMG]

pharrox are you able to load animations yet? I have all the animations for mario on my disk just waiting to run :)

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
I just downloaded the model rips, and what's the dirrecence between the folders like "Lucario R1" and "Lucario R2"? I only see one file that's different in between the 2, and all the others look the exact same, even when opened.
Well HELLO there...! So THAT'S the Aura texture! **** yes! Wait... Is there a way that it can be inserted into the custom textures for use with ASH?

Super-Sonic

Smash Cadet
erm
hi, i've got a question for anyone that can answer it. Are we yet able to compile the extracted .pac files so i can put a model ive done to brawl or simply put a helper like a playable character? And, obiusly, how?
Thanx.

ratmage99

Smash Cadet
You have to convert the model into a editable poly, use the face selection tool to select all the object's faces and use the flip option . The bad thing is that it'll lose quality and the skin modifier. I tried to use the normal modifier but it didn't work.

Ummmm.......... could you explain this in noob speech?

mariokart64n

Smash Apprentice
Lucania procedure describes a method to flip polygons in 3dsmax that may be facing the wrong direction.

see in 3d, a polygon surface only has one visible side. the back or otherside of that poly is see through, meaning light passes through thus you see past it. ..invisible.

sometimes these polygons get out of order, and what seems like holes appear in the model. to fix this, you have to re-order the polygons surfaces so they face all in one direction.

Lucania method is correct, but not the course of action I would use. Collada is unstable in max, converting your model into poly edit mode could spell disaster for you.

I would export everything out, as say 3ds, then reimport. to get ride of any traces of Collada libs being used. then I'd just use unify, which automatically aligns the polygons for you, in a blink of an eye.
convert the nodes to bones, then reappy the weights from the previous DAE import.

no more collada...

cause I find sometimes after importing using collada, I cannot save and reopen my file. the file becomes corrupt and can't open anymore. or crashes, as soon as I reopen the file.

also why are your guys getting flipped polygons. using the proper plugin, this shouldn't be happening

Mackorony101

Smash Cadet
does anyone know which files contain effects like aura and fire?
I know they are in the effects folder but Im not sure what file types they are

havac

Smash Cadet
so far it looks like you can extract models but not import yet? am I right?

what chances are there of this being done viva SD card?

-BigSharkZ-

Smash Lord
@havac

Since the models are located in the pac file, it is already compatible with the SD Loader.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Unrelated::: Idk where else to ask this neccesarily, but does anyone know where to find the texture files for the wii wriststrap safetey? i found one that had textures, but i tried loading them edited with the sd loader... no luck, then i burnt them to the disc with wii scrubber... still no luck. thanx in advance for any help. Remove if this is a bad post spot

walter01

Smash Cadet
once this is done, will these new models be able to get new animations as well?

or will it just be a new much better and more detailed texture hack... i hope u understand what im trying to say

Buci01

Smash Journeyman
If I understood right, you can change the range, length and power of a hitbox. You can add fire (and maybe alectricity, aura and dark) damage. But you cannot programm entirely new amovements

but maybe, MAYBE you can include different attacks with their respective animations from different characters.

Wow... I just had an idea :D New Character Toad: including Peach's Down B

Mackorony101

Smash Cadet
Unrelated::: Idk where else to ask this neccesarily, but does anyone know where to find the texture files for the wii wriststrap safetey? i found one that had textures, but i tried loading them edited with the sd loader... no luck, then i burnt them to the disc with wii scrubber... still no luck. thanx in advance for any help. Remove if this is a bad post spot
If you are talking about the message that pops up before any game loads warning you to wear your strap and all that crap it is located in...
Partition2\menu\strap\StrapEn.pac
(not sure if you are supposed to remove the "En" for this file)

havac

Smash Cadet
If you are talking about the message that pops up before any game loads warning you to wear your strap and all that crap it is located in...
Partition2\menu\strap\StrapEn.pac
(not sure if you are supposed to remove the "En" for this file)
Yes you do want to include the "En".

This is a fun one to hack and then have your buddy start the game. Especially if it makes fun of him lol : )

Revven

FrankerZ
If I understood right, you can change the range, length and power of a hitbox. You can add fire (and maybe alectricity, aura and dark) damage. But you cannot programm entirely new amovements
Which is pretty much what the hitbox code already does... and is probably a whole lot less work than making a new model and doing all of the above by hand. =\

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You guys shouldn't assume that nobody's going to do animation data ever, especially if it's one of the last aspects required to make new characters.
But we SHOULD assume that it would be a seperate project looked into only after they're succesful with model extracting <_<. And even then I have no idea how long it would take :(.

But yeah, I think someone will at least try it....eventually.

havac

Smash Cadet
No you would need to put Ike's head on Marth and change his hair color then it be Roy.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
But neither Marth nor Ike have a head that resembles Roy's at all. <_<
marth's body would fit well. just make a new head, or if you're lazy, use pit's head :p
more importantly, i'm making a codeset to make a lucario clone. iv'e reduced his attack damage and knockback for basically all his moves, and sped them up. i just need someone to help me with getting the speed of running walking, and gravity for lucario himself, like fast fall, normal jump etc. any help apprieciated. if i get help, i'll post the codes :)

bleyva

Smash Ace
No you would need to put Ike's head on Marth and change his hair color then it be Roy.
so is this how roy is gonna be constructed, from the body parts of lesser swordsmen?

i wasnt aware that roy was gonna be the Frankenstein of Brawl+ :ohwell:

camelot

Smash Ace
Couldn't you take a Melee model and... y'know... touch it up a bit? Like Dr. Mario, you'd have to re-shape the face a bit, add more detail to the textures, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom