• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Faq

HeadBoy

Smash Rookie
Can I just say that I like how you kept most of brawl's original AT but there is one thing that is annoying me the more, there in no auto-canceling in brawl+, it's annoying me soo much, I can't even airdodge immediately after a jump.
Please add it in, it feels too much like melee and i never liked that from melee

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
We haven't done anything drastic to change ACs as a whole, it depends on the character -- for example, Falcon can no longer AC his dair, but it has little enough lag now that it isn't a huge loss and the regular dair is more useful now anyways.

Otherwise, we didn't "take out AC." Most characters can still perform the majority or all of their AC'd moves, especially if the move was important to their metagame (ala the Thunderstorm for Ganon).

What character / move are you thinking about?

This sounds like it could actually be due to the buffer. Your handicap level now determines how many frames ahead it buffers your input. If you're having trouble with any action, try setting your "handicap" (actually buffer) to 100% (10 frames, the regular Brawl default).

Hope this helps.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Can I just say that I like how you kept most of brawl's original AT but there is one thing that is annoying me the more, there in no auto-canceling in brawl+, it's annoying me soo much, I can't even airdodge immediately after a jump.
Please add it in, it feels too much like melee and i never liked that from melee
You need to adjust your buffer. On the handicap setting set it to two.

kupo15

Smash Hero
could we please get talking about the differences between kupo's codeset and the plussery codeset?

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5940247&postcount=121
The explanation there about the differences and the feel for one vs the other is pretty vague.

Anyone tried both?
Which do you prefer and why?
The main differences between the two sets are the following:
Down gravity is universally 1.4 whereas the plussery is character specific and is around the 1-1.1 settings (falcon being 1.2 I think)

Fast falling is also globally at 1.4 whereas plussery is different for each character ranging from 1-1.4

I have a couple frames more ledge invincibility

Dash speed is faster than the plussery (I don't know how much faster)

Jump momentum is at 100% whereas plussery is at 92.5%

My hitstun is less at .45 whereas plussery is at .4865

My hitbox mods are the exact same except I have the reverse knee for falcon

My frame speed mods are different. I need to go through to find out exactly what is different

Powershielding is at 1, plussery 2 (I might change this back)

Because my game is faster paced, hitlag is 60% compared to plussery's 50% (which I think will become 55%)

I have some other codes on that the plussery doesn't such as:

No air dodge in tumble
Two versions: One with camera codes on
Yoshi's island and corneria are bigger
Ganon/falcon gets their jump back after a down b in the air
Falcon's up b is no longer momentum based (we are trying to fix everyone's up b problem)
Pit has infinite up b's
I have the gliding nerf code on, they have the grab jump reset code on until we can combine the two

My next set will include texture capabilities and a CSS that the plussery has.

That's about it. My set is generally faster paced but not crazy imbalanced fast. Here is a combo vid to show off a little of my set. We were changing things around and experimenting so my set does have air dodging. We were just trying stuff out.

You can really see the effects of the increased dash speed and momentum with the first knee I land. Very sweet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q0eayuR8bw

so, i have the 4.1 version of the plussery codeset. Should i use it, or switch to kupo's codeset?
I encourage you to try out both. We are going to be implementing a system that features shanus', mine, and alopex's nighlty builds (personal sets although shanus' might just be the plussery's) and have "the plussery" which is the official set. The idea is so everyone tries out the different outlooks on brawl+ and comments on it so we can pull things from the personal sets and add them to the official one. I'd say just play the set you like the most since brawl+ is in its beta form still.
Technically, a character-specific code for friction already exists, so if we wish to implement it, we could.
It does? I thought it was only global friction?

Revven

FrankerZ
It does? I thought it was only global friction?
Almas has said countless times before that he has already written a character specific friction code to go along with the merged dash speed and etc. on the IRC and on the boards, he just has yet to implement it because 1) nobody has shown much interest and 2) he is rewriting codes.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Almas has said countless times before that he has already written a character specific friction code to go along with the merged dash speed and etc. on the IRC and on the boards, he just has yet to implement it because 1) nobody has shown much interest and 2) he is rewriting codes.
I want it :(

Kaii

Smash Rookie
Hi, there are brawl+ codes for NTSC-J? i prefer japanese brawl ^^u.

red_cloud0

Smash Rookie
I think they're still porting the Brawl+ codes to NTSC-J.

I'd like to know if you can use Gecko to boot up NTSC-U B+ with codes on a Japanese wii.

Almas

Smash Lord
I have a Japanese Brawl+ codeset. But I was kind of hoping to test it first-hand before distributing it.

Yes, that's possible red. I play an American copy of SSBB on my European Wii.

Chakra

Smash Cadet
This single handedly brought me back from a 3 month brawl draught, and nearly a year away from smashboards, maybe more.

Not that I was ever any good, but now I can play samus again. :D

Mite000

Smash Rookie
Same here. Me and my friend played Melee like crazy and couldn't be happier when Brawl came out. We had to fight through a snow storm for hours to get it but we finally made it, only to ultimately be disappointed because of how it played. After a couple of months we stopped playing it, until we discovered Brawl Plus. Now everything is better again :)

olsonpm

Smash Cadet
I stopped playing brawl after a couple months of trying to play it competitively. Then after around a year, when a cousin told me about brawl+, I've been addicted again haha. I think many people have been saved by b+

Kaii

Smash Rookie
I think they're still porting the Brawl+ codes to NTSC-J.

I'd like to know if you can use Gecko to boot up NTSC-U B+ with codes on a Japanese wii.
My wii is PAL.

I have a Japanese Brawl+ codeset. But I was kind of hoping to test it first-hand before distributing it.

Yes, that's possible red. I play an American copy of SSBB on my European Wii.
Me too, i have an european wii but i don't have PAL SSBB :laugh: I hate suckings dubbings, the original voices are the best,therefore i play japanese SSBX.

i hope they finish japanese codes soon :ohwell:

Aerialist

Smash Cadet
I think while this is fine and all for fun I don't think it should be tournament standard. I mean you're not even playing the same game anymore. As someone who played both Brawl and Melee on a tournament level I think you should just play the game. It will also be difficult to distribute the code to enough people to really make it viable or fair. Especially considering that this is an "on-going" project and doesn't even have a static set of rules it will be impossible to have an even playing ground. I know you think you are making it more competitive, but you are simply complicating the issue. I also don't want to have to re-learn the game to play at the tournament level. I really wish you people could just accept that Brawl is played differently than melee. I like the fact that Brawl diversifies how you have to play, and the number of strategies you use. Honestly I became disillusioned with Melee because of how predictable tournaments, and even tournament players got. I've won Brawl tournaments with Metaknight, Falco (my main in both melee and brawl) and even Ike (low tier if I'm not mistaken). I like the fact that I can actually do that instead of having to stick with Marth, Sheik, Fox or Falco. That's just my two cents, and I know this isn't the most tolerant place to express it so go ahead and flame me, I won't be returning to read anyway.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
Aerialist - some friendly, genuine advice:

1) Don't post something if you're not going to stand behind it. And if you just don't care enough to follow up the points you start, you probably shouldn't have posted in the first place.

2) We're actually quite tolerant and thankful for all of the constructive criticism we get. Could you post any more specific things that you found while you played that you'd like to see changed? Improvements? ...You did actually try it, right?

3) Breaking up your post into smaller paragraphs makes it easier to read :)

Also, I'm surprised that you brought up character balance as one of the things you hated about Melee but liked about Brawl. Balance is one of our top goals, and is something we've been working on for the last several months. Other than a few outliers, most of the cast is looking to be within a couple small "tiers" of one another right now, and everyone is tournament viable. I'm sure this is something you can appreciate regardless of your preference for physics engine or play style.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
And that's what makes B+ so good, at last we can play the character we like the most without having to think which is better, because they're all good. Everyone developes their own playstyle, and the whole thing turns into an awesome rock-paper-scissors situation where noone really has the upper hand, and as much luck and coincidence as possible is taken out of the game.

It's a true, hardcore, competetive, fun game, with no flaws, no dissbalances and loads of fun, with a lot of room for mindgames, AT's...

I'm sorry, I'm getting out of hand, but Brawl plus is just godlike to me, seriously. Has all the good things from all the smash games, and is just below the speed of melee which was sometime too fast for me, my fingers got blisters :dizzy:

Well, finishing by saying thanks again to everyone working on brawl+ ^_^

Mite000

Smash Rookie
Although I don't agree with Aerialist, he did make one point that has been bugging me. Brawl Plus is great, but I don't see how tournaments could properly work with it. It's constantly updating, and not enough people know about it for it to be official anywhere. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's for nothing, but I don't like not having an outlet for all the practice I've put in to mastering my characters. Not that I really had one before...

The stupid Nintendo tournaments forced you to use the Wii Remote, which I will never be able to wrap my head around... They make a whole deal about being able to play Brawl anyway you want by mapping the buttons or using any control scheme, and then they force you into one control option when it counts. Thanks a lot.

Anyways, since you guys are apparently taking suggestions lol, I have one that might be cool. Now that Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard are all different characters, I had an idea to make them a little more seperate from each other. If you choose Squirtle, Ivysarur or Charizard, the ability to switch Pokemon is disabled. I'm not sure what to put in its place, maybe just going into the Pokeball and coming back out again as a dodge tactic. As for Pokemon Trainer, leave him like he used to be, being able to switch Pokemon at will and having the Pokemon switch upon death.

Let me know what you guys think.

Almas

Smash Lord
The Brawlplusery set updates about once a month, and is becoming rarer and rarer. Each time, less and less stuff changes (although arguably the tweaks are just as critical).

Tournaments are already running Brawl+, and I wouldn't be surprised if soon a big one picks it up. There are already a couple of events with Brawl+ as the main feature.

The Wild Pokémon are actually truly different characters to normal Pokémon - you'll notice there isn't a trainer in the background. As such, they don't actually have a Down+B at all (usually only the AI controls them, so you'd never know). At the moment, adding or swapping moves is beyond our power.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
1. Is it possible to get Brawl+ with Wii Menu Version 4.0?
2. How can I downgrade My system
3. I want to get the Home Brew channel without physically opening my Wii, is that possible.
4. If I downgrade then get the Home Brew channel, can I still play my Virtual console games and Wii ware games

(I am looking for a soft mod cause all i want to do is get Brawl+)

Finally

5. If it isn't possible to get Brawl_ with Wii Menu Version 4.0, will it be possib;e within by the end of May?

Edit: forgot to mention

6. If I do downgrade to Wii menu version 3.2 or something, will I be able to play new games like Excitebots?

Mite000

Smash Rookie
Ah, I didn't know Tournaments were already going. That's pretty good. I also completely agree that the tweaks are important. As they say, it's the little things that count.

As for Pokemon Trainer, I guess it makes sense that you can't outright swap moves, I just wish there was someway to make them a little more diverse instead of more or less the same thing regardless of which you pick. I was also wondering what spawned the decision to remove things like the mansion from Luigi's Mansion and the alternate fields from the Pokemon arena. My only guess would be trying to make them more tournament worthy stages, but personally if I'm playing those stages I'm probably just screwing around and having some fun.

I was also wondering if it would be possible to ticker with the soundtrack so that you could play any song in the game regardless of what stage you're in. I always thought that would be an option to unlock in Brawl its self, and was pretty disappointed to not find it. As a person who spends a lot of time in Final Destination, having some more music to listen to would be very refreshing.

Wumbo

Smash Rookie
I stopped playing brawl after a couple months of trying to play it competitively. Then after around a year, when a cousin told me about brawl+, I've been addicted again haha. I think many people have been saved by b+
I speak for 5 other people when i say me and my crew have been saved by brawl+

Xhominid The Menace

Smash Rookie
Well I was wondering about Brawl+ and I was going to ask a few questions about how it was going to affect a few characters:

1. How will Ike be changed in Brawl+ physics, in vBrawl(normal Brawl) he is quite a powerhouse but is a bit slow, and i seen Captain Flacon gain some his lost luster back, so will Ike be a bit faster or just another version of Roy?

2. From reading Peach's changes from Melee to Brawl, other than her 2nd Jump getting nerfed, she has gotten a few unneeded nerfs(her dSmash is basically weaker and her Right Grab Smash is nerfed to heck) will you change it back or just raise it's power a bit but not make her gain it's full power back?

3. Will Sonic become a hit and run character like he truly suppose to be or what do you have in mind for him?

Bladefist137

Smash Cadet
Brawl+ is the sole reason why i'm still playing brawl on my Wii lol. While the people who is just playing vBrawl and vBrawl tourneys are still discussing on if Metaknight should be banned from tourneys or not, Brawl+ has opened so many doors for alot of characters that normally were (very) crappy in vBrawl. Like look at how Captain Falcon is doing now in Brawl+ right now, he went back to his glorious state he had in Melee:chuckle:. And for the people who says that Brawl+ is good but also bad since it's changing so much, there is a reason why every codeset has BETA infront or behind it lol:laugh:

But could i ask you guys a question regarding textures?
Ever since i have started to config things on my SD card on my own computer instead of my sister's, the game constantly freezes everytime when i select a character that had a texture hack for it >.< My computers has Windows XP while my sister's has Vista if that matters and also i was using the file replacement code 1.3v since there is no PAL version of the 2.1v yet:( Could it be my computer? or is it simpley the code and should i wait for the PAL version of 2.1v?

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
KBG = knockback growth, not gain. You should also note in parenthesis that growth is the kb of a move that is based on the opponent's percent.

Also...
DGrav (or Down Gravity) - A character's fall speed
UGrav (or Up Gravity) - A character's launch speed while jumping
UGrav (or Up Gravity) - The force of gravity on a character while they are propelling themselves upwards.

DGrav (or Down Gravity) - The force of gravity on a character at all other times, including when they are hit upwards as a result of an attack, as that is not by their own control

FGrav (or Full Gravity) - An effect of gravity that is applied equally to each dgrav and ugrav for a character

IC3R

Smash Lord
Well I was wondering about Brawl+ and I was going to ask a few questions about how it was going to affect a few characters:
1. How will Ike be changed in Brawl+ physics, in vBrawl(normal Brawl) he is quite a powerhouse but is a bit slow, and i seen Captain Flacon gain some his lost luster back, so will Ike be a bit faster or just another version of Roy?
Ike is faster: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6R4zH446ws&feature=related

2. From reading Peach's changes from Melee to Brawl, other than her 2nd Jump getting nerfed, she has gotten a few unneeded nerfs(her dSmash is basically weaker and her Right Grab Smash is nerfed to heck) will you change it back or just raise it's power a bit but not make her gain it's full power back?
She's pretty good as she is, but we don't have a throw modifier code, so it's not like we could do it if we wanted.

3. Will Sonic become a hit and run character like he truly suppose to be or what do you have in mind for him?
Techchasing. Lots and lots of techchasing.
And Uair juggling...

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
Good work on the dictionary, I never really understood the term scar jumping until now. Thanks ^_^

Almas

Smash Lord
The main changes to Ike have been increases to his speed and improving his recovery.

While the most noticable changes to Peach from Melee to Brawl (DSmash and FThrow) are certainly frustrating, there's no reason why we would buff them back to their former glory. Our aim is certainly not to recreate melee, and as such we have no intention to return moves to what they were like before for the sake of nostalgia.

Peach is currently a character we're thinking of buffing, through several means, but it remains to be seen if she needs it.

I'm lead to believe Sonic is now very centric on using his high mobility to set up techchases.

The Brawl+ Nightly Builds already contain the File Replacement code by Phantom Wings, that is all that is necessary for texture hacking. If you are having issues getting textures to run, it might be an issue with the texture files themselves or how you have set them up. There is a thread about the matter.

Silent Mike

Smash Cadet
I'm left with the impression that Brawl+ will soon require Gecko 1.9 in future updates, which may be a problem for me. Right now, all I have are backups of Brawl, my old Brawl disc was given away, and I've been using a Backup Launcher that had ocarina and was capable of using the double GTC method for brawl+.

Does this pretty much mean I'm gonna have to find another copy of brawl? Unless anyone knows of a wii backup launcher that has gecko 1.9 integrated or something. :ohwell:

Revven

FrankerZ
I'm left with the impression that Brawl+ will soon require Gecko 1.9 in future updates, which may be a problem for me. Right now, all I have are backups of Brawl, my old Brawl disc was given away, and I've been using a Backup Launcher that had ocarina and was capable of using the double GTC method for brawl+.

Does this pretty much mean I'm gonna have to find another copy of brawl? Unless anyone knows of a wii backup launcher that has gecko 1.9 integrated or something. :ohwell:
Make snapshots.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
Doubt anyone's on right now, but which of the two files should I download?
Official or Kupo's?

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
Our aim is certainly not to recreate melee, and as such we have no intention to return moves to what they were like before for the sake of nostalgia.
cept for jiggly's rest, falco's shine, link's upB, etc.. all of which could've been handled much more creatively.

Top Bottom