• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ (Competitive Hacks): Codes, Videos, and Discussion (THREAD OUT OF DATE)

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
i think that having it spawn for the loser isn't a good way to go. besides, what if we want 1 stock matches? it needs to be a system which rewards players for being offensive and doesn't change the game too much. players should still be focused on killing each other, or whatever. the super bar should be an extra thing. it would have to be a system involving the player dealing damage, taunting, killing a player, or doing something that will get him 1 "super bar".

and i think the best way to simulate the street fighter super bar would be the dragoon pieces.
however, only one player can have a single dragoon piece at a time. and this is why we'd have to invent a system where players can 'steal' the dragoon pieces and the final smash from other players that doesn't involve picking up an item or knocking a smash ball out of someone. it'll need to be subtle and not interfere with the actual game play. how cool would it be to do a 5 hit combo that builds up to your third dragoon piece which lets you do a final smash to finish them off?!?!

and yes/no, some final smashes can occur at the same time, but not the ones that change the entire screen. for example, captain falcon's final smash cannot happen at the same time as ike's. which is why a system of stealing the dragoon pieces is needed to prevent people from attaining smash ball status at the same time.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'd say no to Final Smashes for competitive Brawl+, but it sounds like a fun idea to implement as an optional code.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
well whatever. it doesnt need to be a final smash. it can just be like smash attacks that are already fully charged or something. just to get things moving :D

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
why are you posting in this thread

reasons:
because we can.
because we want to.
because online is available.
because there are new characters.
because the graphics are better.
because i bought a ****ing wii for 250 dollars and i'm not gonna waste my purchase by playing melee after getting brawl.

now begon demon

Gojira

Smash Lord
why are you posting in this thread

reasons:
because we can.
because we want to.
because online is available.
because there are new characters.
because the graphics are better.
because i bought a ****ing wii for 250 dollars and i'm not gonna waste my purchase by playing melee after getting brawl.

now begon demon
This will be my last post here because I dont want to start a war.....(I love how people say this)

The more you fix Brawl to be like melee, the more broken brawl will become. Having to hack a game to make it playable is downright outrageous. I spent my 250 dollars just for Brawl as well. There are a few other games on wii (clash of ninja revolution for example) that can easily replace brawl rather than suling about it and hacking the game. That said, brawl is a pretty good party game, just play it like one and enjoy it that way. Of course, who am I to tell everyone what to do lol. N E ways, BYE!!!!

JohnAnon

Smash Cadet
I have some serious problems with some of these codes.

First off, tone down the gravity and hitstun. It allows TOO MUCH combo potential. Let me tell you something. THE SSB GAMES WERE NEVER MEANT TO BE COMBO-HEAVY GAMES. It's about knocking people out of the stage, for Christ's sake. The new hitstun and gravity is allowing combos that do 50-60% easily and kills at 75-90% through one god**** combo. It makes the matches way too short.

And L/S-Canceling is seriously breaking the game. It's allowing EVEN MORE broken combos. It's breaking the fine line between the range/damage/priority balance for moves that were already balanced. What's worse is that it makes at least 1/4 of all the ground moves (even more) useless.

When are you going to fix REAL problems, like tether recovery and CHARACTER BALANCE?

And is the "official" version SERIOUSLY gonna have Melee airdodging? If that's true, then this shouldn't even be called Brawl+. Just call it Melee 2.0 and call it a day.

MuBa

Smash Lord

First off, tone down the gravity and hitstun. It allows TOO MUCH combo potential. Let me tell you something. THE SSB GAMES WERE NEVER MEANT TO BE COMBO-HEAVY GAMES. It's about knocking people out of the stage, for Christ's sake. The new hitstun and gravity is allowing combos that do 50-60% easily and kills at 75-90% through one god**** combo. It makes the matches way too short.

And L/S-Canceling is seriously breaking the game. It's allowing EVEN MORE broken combos. It's breaking the fine line between the range/damage/priority balance for moves that were already balanced. What's worse is that it makes at least 1/4 of all the ground moves (even more) useless.

When are you going to fix REAL problems, like tether recovery and CHARACTER BALANCE?

And is the "official" version SERIOUSLY gonna have Melee airdodging? If that's true, then this shouldn't even be called Brawl+. Just call it Melee 2.0 and call it a day.
Then shut up and play regular Brawl.

Also there isn't enough hitstun that allows us to even do THAT much damage and KOing around 75-90%

We can't do character balance because it'll take too many lines of space and other people will start bitching about how this character should deserve this and vice versa.

It seems to me that you haven't even tried Brawl+ let alone have a HBC in your Wii.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
THE SSB GAMES WERE NEVER MEANT TO BE COMBO-HEAVY GAMES.
lol. have you ever play smash bros 64??

and why do you think melee vids were called "COMBO VIDEOS" and brawl had to settle with something a bit more docile?

and your arguments have long been debated against. there's no point in even discussing it with you.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
lolz, shot down faster than a noob facing Isai in 64......

I havent put in the gravity code yet because Im having trouble with it (last time I tried I flew out of the screen by jumping). W/o the gravity though I see a nice difference already, mainly the fact the air isnt a haven from attacks anymore, and Sonic is worth something with L Cancel (dair is usable lolz)

Oracle

Smash Master
Why are people trying to fix a broken game rather than going back to the much better melee?
Because brawl had so much potential, but sakurai removed it.

This is basically what happened: Sakurai realized that the original was the most popular smash among basically everyone, so he made it look a lot like the original. However, he took away hitstun and increased knockback to an incredible level so it would be easier and seem funner to the unintelligent children who were sakurai's main fanbase.
It's because they suck at the game, simple and plain.

Good **** on that combo vid, and lol at all the noobs "Go play Melee ahhhh!!!".
That doesn't even make sense. How are we bad if we want something thats more difficult to be put into the game?

Alopex

Smash Ace
The teaser video appears to have gravity modifications. Characters seem to be falling a lot faster.

So the question is, Lee, how is Sonic's UpB doing in your prototype?

kupo15

Smash Hero
heres an idea. after you deal a certain amount of damage and take a certain amount (lets say 75%) you get one dragoon piece. you can expend the dragoon piece by pressing a button which makes your next smash attack super strong, or you can save it up til you get your third dragoon piece, which gives you final smash. you use an existing system and replace the dragoon sniper thing with a final smash occurrence.

this way, people are always on the offensive, and it makes use of the final smash system.
How fun it would be to be Fox and laser camp to get this reward lol. But i think ppl answered this
Why are people trying to fix a broken game rather than going back to the much better melee?
I cant speak for everyone else but if we implement certain fixes to the game, it will be much better than melee. Now we can have two games equally as good, just pick which paced game fits you.
This will be my last post here because I dont want to start a war.....(I love how people say this)

The more you fix Brawl to be like melee, the more broken brawl will become. Having to hack a game to make it playable is downright outrageous. I spent my 250 dollars just for Brawl as well. There are a few other games on wii (clash of ninja revolution for example) that can easily replace brawl rather than suling about it and hacking the game. That said, brawl is a pretty good party game, just play it like one and enjoy it that way. Of course, who am I to tell everyone what to do lol. N E ways, BYE!!!!
We are not trying to make it like melee. Period. You don't have to follow the crowd either. I dont like Wavedashing and more gravity in brawl so I dont use it...simple as that

STFU and GTFO
I honestly do not see why people are afraid of combos.
Same, apparently combos break fighting games? This means that all fighting games are broken since they allow combos to exist. Did I miss the memo or something?

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Ok guys, I'm going to be honest here—I'm not going to be reading all of the posts in this thread or check it very often anymore, so if you want something thrown into the OP just PM me.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
I like how after 60+ pages people are still popping in here to talk crap about the project. It's just funny to see them making points as if it's some new information we couldn't possibly have encountered in 60 pages of discussion :ohwell:

Any way, the combo vid looked dope, but the gravity looked a bit high IMO. It probably makes for better combos, but I'm pretty sure we've abandoned gravity as it is for Brawl+ for the possibility of a fall-speed hack.

The super meter thing sounds cool, but we should probably save that for casual code fun. Final Smashes vary too much is power, but perhaps doing something like a powered up smash attack instead would work.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
man I can't believe people are talking so much crap, back when the game came out I was one of the people who was like, give it a rest, accept the game for what it is, but this is sweet, and for people to attack a project for no reason is rather odd, more power to you guys and having the option to add all these features is sweet, even if it isn't your cup of tea this should excite everyone in the community. Plus, playing with the new roster but with these features is GODLIKE. Thanks to all who figured this out.

Eten

Smash Ace
I really don't see the problem with looking to create momentum in a brawl fight by letting moves actually chain into other moves and to reduce some of the reward for being so defensive with a few tweaks to bring back things that existed before in Smash Bros. like l-cancelling, hitstun, and shield stun, all so you can play Brawl, but just faster and more exciting than regular brawl.

Brawl+ is a good project.

Alopex

Smash Ace
We need to ignore the naysayers and focus our efforts on coercing more hackers to jump on board with the project. Moar manpowr, moar reesultz.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
Yup, I only know one guy that may help but other than that, idk how to get more ppl onboard @_@

I added a new vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofEMN4eK-ss&feature=channel
Wow, really like the ZSS toadstool combo. Also the Ivysaur ones, simply because he needs all the help he can get! You should grab some friends and try to pull those of in some matches.

Hell, if I had a Gecko I would help out with the hacks. I wouldn't really know what to do from there though! I'm surprised no ones done any hacking tutorials, you'd think PW would solicit some help, for his sake.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Wow, really like the ZSS toadstool combo. Also the Ivysaur ones, simply because he needs all the help he can get! You should grab some friends and try to pull those of in some matches.

Hell, if I had a Gecko I would help out with the hacks. I wouldn't really know what to do from there though! I'm surprised no ones done any hacking tutorials, you'd think PW would solicit some help, for his sake.
Thanks! Yea, I should be playing against my friend this weekend so I hope to have some actual matches. I have been liking ZZS a lot lately!

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Your combos looked really nice in those vids. Reminds me of the good old days of Smash 64.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Thanks! Those combos (some) are basically impossible against a good human with the current hit stun level. I can't wait until they are more of a reality in game (not cookie cutters obviously, like work hard for those combos with a big chance of messing up) with the next vers of hitstun!

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
Can you people FOR combos enlighten me on why you would want them in the game? I kindof thought it was good that combos were trimmed in brawl (everything else though, like taking out L-canceling, is bull). I mean attack chains, in any circumstance i would think, would take more skill to do than combos since you have to predict what your opponent is going to do instead of just button mashing (yes i realize combing is skilled button mashing, but the skill is much greater when you have to predict whats going to happen next).

yea, someone said above me that combos would be good as long as they were powerful yet REALLY hard to do and had a high chance of messing up... well that would require ALOT of coding and balancing when we could just keep hitstun as it is and let the Brawl+ community focus on other things.

The only way, until someone refutes me, that I'll be for combos is that if it helps that chars balance; for instance, b/c Gdorf is so bad if the Brawl+ community gave him twice the hitstun on his neutral a jab or something, that would be fine.

And I'm more for S-canceling than L-canceling, i mean seriously, it doesn't take an incredible amount of skill to L-cancel, and S-canceling would be better for balance (slow chars get a much larger buff from S-canceling than from L-canceling)

EDIT: yes, i realize combos are already in brawl, whenever I say combos I'm referring to like Brawl+ hitstun effected combos

Eten

Smash Ace
I'm not for *combos* exactly, I'm for letting a player create more battle momentum through tech chasing, combos, and juggling. As long as characters accomplish that, I think we're good.

Reason for that is is that it makes a fight more intense by speeding up the fight. We start with each character in a sort of neutral state and it's a mix of approaching/camping to get a hit in. However, once you set them up with that first hit, you should generally be in a better position to build up more damage/set them up for a KO whatever than you were before, and the opponent in less of a position to hit you back and instead is oriented around escaping the combo/tech chase/juggle.

In brawl, hitstun can be so little that you're practically in the approach/camp stage the ENTIRE time and you can even literally trade hits back and forth because it can go so far as to be able to break hitstun faster than the ending lag of the move you got hit by. As if the game had a permanent half hitstun crouch cancel effect(and without any crouch cancel counters)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hmNU0b9L_8

It utterly destroys "momentum" and makes for long, slow, campy, and frustrating fights.

kupo15

Smash Hero
ok, combos are needed to punish your mistakes. Without hit stun and combos where is the reward in finding an opening? How is it a punishment when you can attack right back after one hit? It seems more of a slap on the wrist than anything to get hit. Why even be offensive when it doesn't amount to much? This is a reason why the game is so defensive and campy and boring at times. Having moves that flow together speeds up the game, makes a harsher punishment which makes the game better.

I agree that it takes a lot of skill as of now which is to predict every action, but I think its just a different kind of skill. Its more of a rock paper scissors game where you are basically using educated guesses as to what will happen next all the time. I think its absurd to have to work really hard for every attack. Something else you need to take into account is that combos are not taken for granted. Just because you got one hit in and there is hitstun doesn't mean there isn't skill in executing a combo. You still have to predict your opponents DI. The DI in this game is more powerful than before and if you don't predict it right, you lose your chance for the combo you want.

You also have to take into account the type of move that you want to achieve the desired effect. Its like pool where one move may be the easiest option to combo but, there is this other move that is harder but will set up the next move better. So figuring out what moves to set up takes a lot of skill also. The stale move system is also very powerful and I think that alters the stun time but Im not sure. If that is the case, then you just added 10x the amount of possibilities to the combo game which means 10x more likely to lose the combo also.

The combos wont require a lot of coding and individual balancing. The game already has a hit stun combo system in place, but they allowed you to attack and dodge during hitstun which is why combos dont exist.

Combos is the main thing that balances characters. Why do you think MK is so dominant? It is because he is the one who can really combo. He is in a place all by himself because he can combo. By adding hit stun and having a combo system, other chars can too combo which means MK isnt unique and therefore is not as dominant as he is now. This means that all characters are at the same level with comboing which makes the roster more balanced.

I am for l canceling because s canceling calls for broken aerial spam. But many of us do agree that the current l canceling needs to be fixed. We even think that it should be auto l canceling to get rid of the tech barrier but we need the half lag to keep characters in check.

And may I include that the hitstun will NOT make DDD and Falco's CG better.

I have a question of my own. Why you think its ok for brawl to not have combos but every other fighter can including the first two games?

Top Bottom