• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Character Match-Up chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
lol not true. Marth does good against snake but its about even. Dedede kinda the same thing. MK....its doable if u kno what ur doin. I'm really close to perfecting the matchup. I kno MK really well ^_^

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I'm trying not to overrate Marth. lmao.

If I were to actually state that Marth only has one bad match-up, that one being vs MK, people would lose their minds, but I agree.

MK vs Marth is about 60/40 MK's advantage.

Vs Dedede and Snake is 50/50 or very close to it.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
yea marth doesnt really have a bad matchup really. Like someone that TOTALLY ***** him. Just like melee lol. No character of that nature. Actually..................nah. I was thinkin ZSS which actually does good against marth but its not ****.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You been listening to Snakee to much my *****. lol.

I think that match is 60/40 Marth's favor.

Actually he and I were debating about it a few hours back.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I still don't know how much a fully charged Tippered F-Smash does(in damage) :p

maybe because I don't play as marth a lot, I use Ike for fun and MK for serious.

Marth has only one Disadvantage!? I need to know what characters are hard for marth...

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I dont talk to snakeee about that. I've done the match vs NEO before. Its not bad. I felt comfortable with it. I play all chars. I dont rely on others opinions on matchups.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Oh. Don't go by NEO either. He has no match-up experience really. He wouldn't know what to do at all vs a character like ZSS that not alot of people play.

Although ZSS has some decent tricks up her sleeve.

She is the kind of character that you need to get used to playing against. Alot like Wolf takes time getting used to fighting as well.

I get my ZSS practice vs Ryoko and Snakee so I know what to do at this point.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Hahaha. If I ever go to a tourney again I would be happy to play your ZSS.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff and Bowser both have a great great advantage over Marth. Bowser has flames and can overpower Marth, and can also compete with his range. Jigglypuff has good aerial mobility and can float in and out of Marth's range at will delivering aerial attacks. Jigglypuff can also chase Marth way off the stage to gimp his poor horizontal recovery with repeated Bairs and Fairs.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Marth has 70/30 advantage over both.

Better options, can punish pretty much anything they throw out and they both only have one or two reliable moves against him.

Bowser can't ***** flamethrower at all. He uses it once and it has to recharge depending on how long it was out. Jiggz has pound. Good range and priority, but it's still just one move.

Plus they both have serious exploitable weaknesses. Bowser is slow, and very unsafe. Jiggz is much too light and has trouble getting inside Marth's zoning.

However, if that was a joke post then GG. You got me.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
Jigglypuff and Bowser both have a great great advantage over Marth. Bowser has flames and can overpower Marth, and can also compete with his range. Jigglypuff has good aerial mobility and can float in and out of Marth's range at will delivering aerial attacks. Jigglypuff can also chase Marth way off the stage to gimp his poor horizontal recovery with repeated Bairs and Fairs.
This is a joke post. I see what you did.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
That's cool.

It won't actually prove anything, even if you did demolish me. Which you just might since I think you are a better player.

But yeah, could be fun.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
yeah....both falco AND shiek have a pretty good advantage against marth, i don't know if u have ever played a very good falco or shiek, (maybe falco, but nobody plays shiek) so u don't really know this but...w/out all that fancy L-cancel and wavedashing, shiek just outshines marth in just about everything especially in attack speed and arial combat.
*facepalm*

This is BRAWL! *sparta kick*

Neither is true here.

The Brawl engine favors Marth here, there's only one Sheik that has the advantage against Marth, and that's just from knowing the match-up so well.

Falco is closer, a neutral at best, but almost certainly 6:4 marth.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
*facepalm*

This is BRAWL! *sparta kick*

Neither is true here.

The Brawl engine favors Marth here, there's only one Sheik that has the advantage against Marth, and that's just from knowing the match-up so well.

Falco is closer, a neutral at best, but almost certainly 6:4 marth.
as a heavy shiek player, I can say marth is muy tough. Now, it's not a huge disadvantage or anything, especially if you are compitent with Zelda, because you'll need her defensively and to score come KOs when your moves decay.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
as a heavy shiek player, I can say marth is muy tough. Now, it's not a huge disadvantage or anything, especially if you are compitent with Zelda, because you'll need her defensively and to score come KOs when your moves decay.
Lol, you already know I play both Sonic, so I know this match-up from both ends.

It's not huge, but it's there, I definitely prefer to play this match-up using my main (Marth) as opposed to my secondaries (Sheik and Zelda).

The comment about the one sheik was... I forget his name, but there's one Sheik that specializes in ripping Marths apart.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Olimar definately > Snake. His range is far superior to Snake's tilts, his grab combos destroy snake, and latched pikmin deal a ton of damage. Its still far from a huge advantage, but its definately an advantage. I enjoy playing Snakes actually. I'm leaning towards Mk = Olimar. Mk can gimp, but Mk's ground game is almost useless since Olimar's is better, and Olimar can beat Mk in the air in certain situations. Its debatable, but Olimar > Snake is a definate.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
However, if that was a joke post then GG. You got me.
Why thank you. ^_^

On a more serious note, let's talk about how Ganondorf counters Marth. If he gets Marth in one murder choke, and then tech chases perfectly, he could lock him in infinite murder chokes. Then the big bad Marth would be helpless. Forward airs and Dancing Blade won't save you when Ganondorf's shovin' yo face in tha dirt you prissy little drag queen! 100/0 Ganondorf's favor for sure.

(Drag queen referring to Marth, not the player using him btw)

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
GANON VS MARTH IS SUICIDE. I'VE DONE THAT MATCH. HEELLLLLLL NOOOOO LMAO. I've tried ganon vs Neo that **** was so horrible. He beats EVERYTHING u do. Air priority........just everything. 0/100 to marth LMAO im kidding but that match is nearly impossible to win for ganon...it probably is impossible.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
I can see a good ganondorf beating a marth. Heck, even noob ganondorf players could beat good marths if they trip right in front of warlock punch enough times.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Well in my experience, Ike is at a HEAVY disadvantage against Zero Suit. Side B keeps all of his attacks away, and Bair is faster than and has just as much range as most of his aerials. A smart Zero Suit won't let themselves get near enough to be jabbed or grabbed, which takes away a huge part of his gameplay. She can poke at his sheild without any fear of being punished. And on top of all of that, there's the speed factor...

Also, I think that Samus is at an advantage over Luigi. Luigi has a hard time getting through the spam, especially the grapple beam. Her aerials can compete with(not better than his, but close) the range and priority of his aerials as well. On the ground, she out-matches him with her large range (especially with ftilt). Off the stage, Luigi is a pretty easy target to gimp with homing missiles and Dair (or even Nair). In short, Luigi has an incredibly challenging time approaching Samus, and even if he gets to her, she can push him right back without much difficulty.

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Side B keeps all of his attacks away,
Side B is very laggy and will be punished.

and Bair is faster than and has just as much range as most of his aerials.
I'm pretty sure retreating Fair/Nair will hit.

A smart Zero Suit won't let themselves get near enough to be jabbed or grabbed, which takes away a huge part of his gameplay.
Ad a smart Ike won't let you stay that far away >_>

She can poke at his sheild without any fear of being punished.
With what exactly?

And on top of all of that, there's the speed factor...
Which is why Fox and Ike go even.

greatone_12

Smash Rookie
I have been playing a lot of marth lately and I think he should either be even or have a slight advantage over snake because:

-counter works really well against many of snakes moves ie: mines and also snakes foreward smash
-he has a spike which is one of snakes key weaknesses
-he can win against snake in the air fairly effectively
-snakes tend to shield lots which makes shield breaker more effective on him more so than on other characters
-marths d-tilt and dancing blade generally out range snakes godly ground game and are both very fast
-dolphin slash can work well in many circumstances against an offensive snake

IvanEva

Smash Ace
'K, 'k. So, nobody's flipping out over Marth having the advantage over Shiek and Falco? Good. I'll change it tomorrow or something. I've been away from Smash for a bit thanks to GGPO (online fighting games done right - everybody, please, go download it and get into Third Strike - It's the best fighting game ever made!). *Ahem* So, a few neat little match-ups have been discussed and so I'll fix up the chart again soon.

Bolossus: The grapple beam is very annoying (and thus I love it; Samus is my secondary even though she doesn't exactly help out with anything...) but once your opponents learn to adapt it sharply loses it's ability to keep opponents at bay. Luigi's have no trouble blocking a grapple and then spinning or just plain running towards her. Spamus' spam isn't that good in this game, sadly. She's holding back so as to not kill her opponents. ;)

gantrain05

Smash Master
well seeing as my 2 of my friends both main as marth and i play shiek and one of my friends also plays shiek, and we all place very well at tournaments, i can say for certain that marth absolutely does not **** shiek, for one the only reliable approach marth has on shiek is SH double Fair, which i'll be the first to admit it is a **** good approach and hard to punish, but shiek is a character than CAN punish it, and punish it well. I've noticed that there are even alot of marths attacks shiek can just spotdodge and punish, whereas nearly all of shieks moves are much less punishable especially in the air where shiek can dominiate just about every character besides MK. im not saying marth is garbage or anything close to that, i have great respect for him, and i know all too well how good he is, im just saying that in my experience that marth does not have an easy time with shiek and i think the match is maybe 55/45 shiek imo. and im not even bringing zelda into this.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
if you can play effectively with Zelda/Shiek, you can get that matchup to play dang lose to even.... but that takes a lot of work, and even then it's still slightly favouring marth I think. Any time you have to work that hard and still have trouble getting the matchup to play evenly should be a sign that it's not your best matchup.

Adapt

Smash Lord

Side-B has very little ending lag, just startup lag. Have fun trying to punish

Bair come out faster than both I believe, especially Ike's fair. But the fair does have more range. it comes down to who spaces better, and ZSS has the advantage of being faster which helps with spacing

Ad a smart Ike won't let you stay that far away

if this was a sonic match I would say "you're too slow!" But really, she is faster, and spacing is a huge part of her game. A competent ZSS can space Ike quite well

With what exactly?

I have to give you this one... shield pressure is not her strongest suit... ( :p ) retreating bairs, side-Bs and neutral-Bs are best for shield pressure though

I'm not saying its a heavy disadvantage for Ike, but ZSS clearly has an advantage. Her gimping game is quite good, and Ike can find himself is a very bad position once off stage

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
not really. Ike is too slow to punish a side B due to it having short end lag
not too sure
Ad a smart Ike won't let you stay that far away >_>
Except that she has he tools to space Ike. Ike doesn't ahv the tools to get close to Zamus without leaving himelf open. Siilar to how Ike has a tough time approaching Samus because of the Zair.

Which is why Fox and Ike go even.
The only reason fox and Ike go even is because all of Fox's approaches are dedicated. So when Fox SH Dairs you know he cannot do anything because he has to follow through with it all.
hence why sonic gives Ike more difficulty than Fox because while Sonic does have dedicated approaches, he also has a good number of non dedicated approaches and can more easily avoid being punished than Fox.

he is also heavier than Fox too.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
well seeing as my 2 of my friends both main as marth and i play shiek and one of my friends also plays shiek, and we all place very well at tournaments, i can say for certain that marth absolutely does not **** shiek, for one the only reliable approach marth has on shiek is SH double Fair, which i'll be the first to admit it is a **** good approach and hard to punish, but shiek is a character than CAN punish it, and punish it well. I've noticed that there are even alot of marths attacks shiek can just spotdodge and punish, whereas nearly all of shieks moves are much less punishable especially in the air where shiek can dominiate just about every character besides MK. im not saying marth is garbage or anything close to that, i have great respect for him, and i know all too well how good he is, im just saying that in my experience that marth does not have an easy time with shiek and i think the match is maybe 55/45 shiek imo. and im not even bringing zelda into this.
well, you don't seem to play Sheik a whole whole lots, considering you've mispelled her name so many times..... but a lot of what you said is true, the matchup is really close to even. I don't really care what IvanEva puts up in here, so i don't really care. But it oughtta be one of those green tildes.

FYI, Sheik also fails in air fights against Peach, and more or less fails in air fights against G&W.

PhantomBrawler

Smash Apprentice
well first things first....^ that guy is a moron for not stating why.

As for my original post content:

Ive been playing my friend, who plays marth and snake very effectively. And i play a fairly effective falco. And i have noticed that i have a much tougher time with his marth. Which leads me to believe 1 of two things; either 1) marth has the adv against falco(even though the falco boards say its 5:5 or 6:4 towards falco) or 2) falco has the advantage against snake and marth vs falco is nuetral.

There are many reason as to why snake would be at a disadv against snake:

Adv for Falco:
-Lasers blow up nades
-cg to approx 40%(using walking grab he cant drop a nade)
-cg-spike-spike abosolutely ***** snake OR you could cg-spike cypher grab
-dair cancles out mortar
-falco can kill snake around 140-150 with usmash
-falco can camp snake better than snake can camp falco even though snake can crawl under them
-falco can blow up snakes dsmash using his shine

Adv for Snake:
-superior ground game
-can duck lasers AND shine
-can kill falco at 110-120
-tilts out range most of falcos options OTHER than shine

All and all i just feel that falco has a bit of an advantage against snake

Im not completely convinced of this i just wanted to see what you all thought of my reasoning here...so please comment

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
as for cuecax I'll try and take up where he left off (though IMO its neutral)

Advantage for Sonic:
+Can gimp Pit.
+Can bypass pit's arrows with ease.
+grab game is better than pit's setting up for aerial chases, combos, tech chases.
+Can chase Pit about like no bodies busness.
+Smashes outrange pit.
+has an amazing recovery
+Can reach pit when pit goes flying up high
+better taunts and a better voice.
+His Uair cannot be defeated by anything in Pit's aerial repertoire

Cons:
-Cannot contend with Pit aerially to as great a degree 9though Pit's bair=sonic's bair in terms of speed.
-has less priority
-Has a hard time setting up kills
-Has slower smashes
-shield and side B stop committed approaches (but Pit cannot follow them up)
-Can have difficulty comboing due to Pit's rather small frame?
-overall attack speed is slower than pit's.

and stuff.
-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom