• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
I've never landed it but glide attack > Fsmash would be pretty sexy at low percents. Just press a then mash the c stick in the direction of your opponent.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Glide Attack > Rock Smash can also be pretty devastating at low percents.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Is NAir as punishable as I think it is? It just seems like my opponents could SDI out of it really easily and then FSmash me or something. Or worse, knock me off stage.

Also, is Charizard's Glide attack good at all? His glide just seems to slow for it to be useful.
If used properly then no it is not as punishable as it seems....there isn't much not back at all and actually a good amount of hitstun per hit making n-air very solid once you get it to connect. N-air is actually an awesome option for Ivy in general and should be used. So check it out you'll really start liking it a lot more once you use it more.

also zard's glide attack has it's uses....most very situational but it's got a huge hitbox and if your coming in gliding and get good at reading when people will challenge your glide attack.....it really seems impressive, it outprioritizes a good amount. Also the sheer size of the hitbox and the fact that it moves leaves players very little room for error otherwise you'll recover with ease.

Overall zard's glide is a nice mix up on stages you can fly underneath for safe recovery...it is very slow tho. Overall you can glide in certain matchups but it isnt very safe unless you really know what your doing. So experiment and see what you can find, I hope this helped a bit tho

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
from my experiences charizard's glide is safest when you try to imitate the growling noise he makes as you do it (your opponents wont be able to punish you because theyll be too busy laughing)

T-block

B2B TST
crynts said:
I think I've found a way to eliminate Charizard and Squirtle's Up special penalty. What you have to do is (for squirtle) land a nair before the hitbox comes out and it will "autocancel" leaving you with normal landing lag afterwards. For Charizard, it's the same thing except with uair. It's not easy to time though and messing up with Charizard will give you just as much landing lag :/

This would be good when the opponent is too close for an empty shorthop imo.
Re-quoting so it doesn't get lost in Social thread.

T-block

B2B TST
I know Marth can cancel it with f-air, but I don't think it applies to all aerials? I'm pretty sure if you up-b snap to the ledge, and then land a f-air as Squirtle you get more landing lag than usual.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
It's all aerials so long as they don't auto-cancel. Your mind is just playing tricks on you. All aerial landing lag overrides it.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
It's all aerials so long as they don't auto-cancel. Your mind is just playing tricks on you. All aerial landing lag overrides it.
^

also, if i am understanding correctly, this new 'technique' is using an aerial close enough to the ground that you land pretty much immediately, but before the time span where you take landing lag from it. and apparently it still overrides the RCO lag anyway?

anyway if you do this, you don't have any hitboxes out to protect you anyway, so i don't think it's as useful as you might think. at least for squirtle, since nair/fair/bair landing lag is pretty quick anyway.

Aposl

Smash Ace
This is new? I thought this was known. well any way doesnt rock smash work as well, and Squirtle has that double jump platform cancel, on Battlefield to help with this as well... Just my instantaneous thougts atm

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
No, you have to land WHILE you have landing lag from it. The landing lag overrides the RCO lag. For example, a Marth in my region typically uses NAir to override it, hitting with the first hit of it to knock away, then landing before the second hit, having much less landing lag than he would. As I understand it, aerials just have a little less landing lag on the first few frames or something. Which with squirtle means almost nothing.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Don't hate for two double posts, legitimate question.

I keep missing the Grab Release to jab combo, people seem to keep shielding the third or even second hit. Am I just missing the buffer?

OCD

Smash Cadet
squirtles jab is too short to gaurantee the extra hitboxes after the first hit. if the second jab hit a few frames faster then it would be a more reliable tech.
Mew

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
The up special lag penalty does not get removed when you land with an aerial, the aerial will instead gain extra landing lag, but it wont be as much as you get from a normal landing.

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
As far as PT's worst matchups go I have to agree MK and marth are at the top of the list. Falco comes in as a close second to those but due to the increased gimpability of falco vs. MK & Marth I really dont believe he is as bad a matchup as the other too.

Dont mistake what I'm saying falco is a ROUGH matchup....but I just dont think it is as rough as marth and MK figuring you have some leeway against him if he ends up below the stage

Ivy's jabs are sub-par at best they can lead to some funny nonsense to edgehogging......I have a feeling d-tilt does the job better though since it was good range and actual knockback.

As far as razor leaf goes you dont wanna dish out alot of razor leaves...but rather followup an accurate razor leaf. There are ways to control the pattern razor leaf takes but I have to dig it up and tbh you have to know when to follow a razor leaf. Throwing a lot of razors leaves isnt as effective as throwing a very accurate one and following up properly with a grab, attack, etc

Where is that info at^

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Its in the Ivy tactical discussion I made the post ages ago but you can find it in that thread pretty deep in......gimme some time and Ill dig it up

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Yeah there was another person whos name escapes me that said she found a way to somewhat control them. I remember something about a holding the control stick in the different directions using a numpad. Like

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello Pokémon Trainer boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Slight advantage for R.O.B..

Squirtle is annoyed by pokes, but can generally run away from R.O.B. with little trouble. R.O.B.'s N-Air and B-Air aren't as effective as KO moves due to Squirtle's fire resistance. Squirtle can juggle R.O.B. to hell and back, and can get in without too much trouble. Slight advantage for Squirtle, specifically.

Ivysaur struggles against anyone with safe, quick ground moves, which R.O.B. has in abundance. Ivysaur is weak to fire, making N-Air and B-Air especially good KO moves. R.O.B. is one of the easiest characters for Ivysaur to combo, and is fairly susceptible to Ivysaur edgeguarding, due to B-Air's great arc, D-Air's enormous hitbox, and R.O.B's middling recovery speed. Slight disadvantage for Ivysaur, specifically--Maybe moderate, but I'm leaning toward slight, myself.

Charizard isn't fast enough on the ground to deal with R.O.B.'s poking, is a huge target for R.O.B's everything, and can be edgeguarded almost as easily as Ivysaur. However, Charizard is solid at juggling R.O.B., can expect Rock Smash to do a number on R.O.B.'s large body, and is fairly good at edgeguarding R.O.B., as well. It's hard for either character to get in, but R.O.B. can do more when he's outside. Slight disadvantage for Charizard, specifically--Maybe moderate, but I'm leaning toward slight, myself.

I have a bunch of videos against Bees, a R.O.B. player. That might help you think about it a little--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pGDDFrpdZ8

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Man, really awesome video there! Thank you for your responses, I think R.O.B. actually wins this MU, around 60:40 if you ask me. Agreeing with that ratio?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Man, really awesome video there! Thank you for your responses, I think R.O.B. actually wins this MU, around 60:40 if you ask me. Agreeing with that ratio?
No. 55-45, I think. You're welcome to put 60-40 down, though. We don't have to agree.

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
Concerning stamina and fatigue, does using a move always decrease stamina? Or only if the move connects with opponent/destructable stage element?

F A N G

Smash Journeyman
Really? Wow that kinda sucks...

Also, is there a Match-Up index somewhere? There's a thread, but it's completely empty

Thanks

Kantrip

Kantplay
No. 55-45, I think. You're welcome to put 60-40 down, though. We don't have to agree.
Switch from ratios to the 9 rating system PT people! This can turn into an agreement at +1 for R.O.B.

Also, is jabbing Ivysaur's best way to guard the ledge (accounting for safeness) or is it better to chase or razor leaf or something else?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Switch from ratios to the 9 rating system PT people! This can turn into an agreement at +1 for R.O.B.

Also, is jabbing Ivysaur's best way to guard the ledge (accounting for safeness) or is it better to chase or razor leaf or something else?
YOU DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO >:[[[[[

You mean, when the opponent is on the ledge? As far as out of the reasonably useful options that won't get you hit for doing them often?

I like D-Tilt. The range is comparable to Jab1, deals more damage, sends people more-or-less horizontally, and covers the same options (ledgehopped aerial; ledge get-up attacks; people staying on the ledge, people climbing up from the ledge and doing nothing).

Other options include F-Air (with proper spacing, it can deal with most ledgehop aerials, ledge get-up attacks, and jumps from the ledge) D-Air (huge hitbox just helps outrange stuff; half-decent option against planking), and B-Air (super-safe with a wide arc).

If you're feeling lucky, you can read a jump from the ledge and sweetspot your Up-B for massive damage. <3

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
Whats the main objective for each of the three pokemon? I can't seem to do much of anything with ivysaur and charizard lags to much after each attack. Are there like keys things that im missing with ivy and char

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Whats the main objective for each of the three pokemon? I can't seem to do much of anything with ivysaur and charizard lags to much after each attack. Are there like keys things that im missing with ivy and char
Winning.

Squirtle is about poking and his nice aerial game.

Ivysaur tries to trick people with multi-hit moves and huge hitboxes.

Charizard tries to abuse his range.

These statements are really vague and don't really encompass all of each Pokémon's "objectives," but, I did the best I could. They're pretty unique characters.

Killanator90

Smash Journeyman
Winning.

Squirtle is about poking and his nice aerial game.

Ivysaur tries to trick people with multi-hit moves and huge hitboxes.

Charizard tries to abuse his range.

These statements are really vague and don't really encompass all of each Pokémon's "objectives," but, I did the best I could. They're pretty unique characters.
Well of course winning lol. What you say makes since i just need to find some ppl to play against. I do ok with squirtle. I always seem to get gimped with ivy especially by the *** MK, and my charizard can become very predictable at times.

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Hahaha and it works a good amount more than you think.....I basically keep the idea in my head that I have the ability to vinewhip once a match to keep players on their toes. You have no idea how many silly kills this has led to

Top Bottom