• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bidoof Academy - Pokémon Trainer Q+A Thread

T-block

B2B TST
Delfino is fairly average. None of the pokemon really take advantage of water that well, and characters that can air release chain grab Squirtle will like the walkoffs against him. We also can't shark lol

So not a bad stage, but we don't gain any of the advantages that other characters do from it.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
2. sv
3. rainbow (double)
and pretty much just wherever you want.

disclaimer: i don't know much about pt lol.

I basically just play everything about pt by intuition since there isnt much stuff on ivy or zard. :urg: it's ok though owning people without knowing much is really fun xD

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
Also I just recalled two things that I need answered:

1.Im trying to perform Baton Pass on SV BF and stages like that (BTW Reflex is right on Frigate, best stage for free baton passing) I roll/dash to the side to the point I cannot go no further and down B, I hold the direction to where I wanted to go but i dont go anywhere, what am i doing wrong?

2.I noticed sometimes i stay in the Pokeball ball for a long time sometimes but not all the time, is there a way to stay in there longer or is it just random?

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
1. You have to be on a moving platform, so you cant baton pass on bf... although that would pwn faces. Also you have to be on the back side of the moving platform, so here:
x=you
-->=direction platform is moving
___=platform

x___-->

you have to be on the back end of a moving platform

2. i have no idea, but that sometimes happens to me too :O

T-block

B2B TST
Switch time is dependent on how quickly your Wii can load the character data. If you load your game off a hard drive instead of the disc drive, you'll get constant (and faster) load times. So yeah, it's basically random as far as the player is concerned =\

Smashville is better than Frigate for Baton Passing for sure. I've been really liking Smashville for that because of platform cancelling (which I can finally do lol). Ivysaur platform cancel dash attack into Baton Pass looks pretty hot.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Switch time is dependent on how quickly your Wii can load the character data. If you load your game off a hard drive instead of the disc drive, you'll get constant (and faster) load times. So yeah, it's basically random as far as the player is concerned =/
Someone made my Wii drop at a tournament half a year ago, so my disc is scratched. Switching sometimes takes much longer than normal for no apparent reason. :(

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
1. You have to be on a moving platform, so you cant baton pass on bf... although that would pwn faces. Also you have to be on the back side of the moving platform, so here:
x=you
-->=direction platform is moving
___=platform

x___-->
you have to be on the back end of a moving platform

2. i have no idea, but that sometimes happens to me too :O
Did not know that, i was doing it the opposite way lol ty

How would that apply to YI and LC

also heres another problem for me

From what other sites tell me, I have a pattern and I lack spacing and get punished alot >_>

Rizen

Smash Legend
Total PT noob here, I can't play PT effectively and the big reason is spacing. What are the best times and setups for each Pokemon to grab?

Squirtle's dash grab is nice but aside from that I rarely land a good grab. Help?

Squirtle, you can do a fake out hop to landing grab on people on the ground when they are shielding or even in the air to bait a response when they are landing (multijumpers and people with good air mobilty can avoid situations like these.)

Also if you hit a weak Bair against a grounded opponent and fast fall, you can do a quick turnaround dash grab. Ftilt to dash grab at low %'s can take people by surprise too.

Getting a grab with Ivysaur when you want it can be quite a task at sometimes. You can throw a Razor Leaf and grab them when they shield it if they don't react to it quickly.

Nair cancel to Pivot grab is pretty good too.

Not sure on what you mean the best times to get a grab. If you notice your opponent's are getting a little shieldcamp happy, grabbing can make them think twice. Usually people like to shield first and react when at High %'s unless you have a kill move or setup from a grab.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Her grab is pretty slow so there aren't many good setups. Maybe if you tap and and they shield the grabs you can get them out of that. If you bair them while they are in the air they might sheild expecting another bair or a tilt. I don't really have good answers.

T-block

B2B TST
Total PT noob here, I can't play PT effectively and the big reason is spacing. What are the best times and setups for each Pokemon to grab?

Squirtle's dash grab is nice but aside from that I rarely land a good grab. Help?
Both Squirtle and Charizard have amazing grab range. With Charizard's dash speed landing a grab really shouldn't be a problem. For Squirtle, you can try mixing up your jab combos with jab cancelled into a grab. Hydrograbbing can also help you land grabs - it's definitely something every PT should learn. As Nameless Wanderer said, empty shorthops into grab can be very effective too, thanks to the way Squirtle plays.

does ivysaur have any good grab combos? I never seem to know what to do when i've grabbed someone.
She has no grab combos really... d-throw -> up-b can work at low percents, but it's not guaranteed. When you grab with Ivysaur, just think about which character your opponent is, and where you want them to be. If they're easily edgeguarded (and Ivysaur's edgeguarding game is actually pretty good) and your back is facing the near ledge, you might consider a b-throw to get them off stage. Otherwise, a u-throw to get them above you is never a bad choice, since most characters won't want to be above Ivysaur.

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
Both Squirtle and Charizard have amazing grab range. With Charizard's dash speed landing a grab really shouldn't be a problem. For Squirtle, you can try mixing up your jab combos with jab cancelled into a grab. Hydrograbbing can also help you land grabs - it's definitely something every PT should learn. As Nameless Wanderer said, empty shorthops into grab can be very effective too, thanks to the way Squirtle plays.

She has no grab combos really... d-throw -> up-b can work at low percents, but it's not guaranteed. When you grab with Ivysaur, just think about which character your opponent is, and where you want them to be. If they're easily edgeguarded (and Ivysaur's edgeguarding game is actually pretty good) and your back is facing the near ledge, you might consider a b-throw to get them off stage. Otherwise, a u-throw to get them above you is never a bad choice, since most characters won't want to be above Ivysaur.

Yeah I agree with everything T-Block said, but on another note, I also really like using Ivy's F- and B-throws, because they lead into Razor Leaf really well, and if you catch someone being dumb, you can actually re-grab at low percents, depending on the character. Rarely happens, but you can try in on an unaware opponent. In fact, I rarely use D- or U-throw, because I utilize Ivysaur's horizontal game like CRAZY, but I kind of ignore her vertical game more than I should. I tend to save U-air for kills, and I guess I do use D-air quite a bit. Anyhow, all of Ivysaur's horizontal moves have INCREDIBLE range, and this makes follow-ups easier for B- and F-throw, at least for me. I usually find it easy to follow up B-throw with a Razor Leaf or B-air. F-throw leads into Razor leaf pretty well, too, and possibly a dash->re-grab, or a F-air. Or whatever you want really, as long as you read your opponent right, you'll always have options for anything, basically. But those ones work best for me.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Fthrow is pretty bad imo :/
None of Ivysaur's throws are very good, though. F-Throw and B-Throw are both good if you want your opponent offstage, and one should U-Throw for KOs (at, like, ~160%) and juggling. D-Throw is similar to U-Throw, but sends them away a bit, so it's not as good for juggling.

As an aside, they all do ~10% except for F-Throw, which deals ~7%. As far as the properties go, B-Throw is a better F-Throw, and U-Throw is a better D-Throw.

If you don't know what to do in your current situation, you should probably U-Throw.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
If you grab someone facing the ledge, it's probably better to dthrow than fthrow. It limits more options. Even uthrow is better than fthrow, imo.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Do we have a MU discussion thread yet? Or should i just ask all my Match-up based questions here?

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
It's being remade. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in this thread.

Rizen

Smash Legend
What are PT's good and bad starter and CP stages? With 3 characters I don't know where to go. Several PTs seem to like FD.

How should squrtle fight characters with better attack reach like Marth and Snake? They cut my squirtle down before I can land a good hit.

Does Ivy have any good OoS options?

Tesh

Smash Hero
I don't know about PT cps, but I know Lylat, PS1 and Smashville are good as far as starters. The zero switching really helps you negate Ivysaur when you need to (ironically zero switching from Ivy is the least safe).

Squirtle you really have to be evasive when looking for an opening, you can't really afford to trade hits. Water gun can be helpful to push them into a bad position that you can punish more easily (like the ledge).

Ivysaur's grab has good range but its so slow and he seems to slide alot when his shield gets hit. Bullet seed OoS has great range and some invincibility on startup. Bair OoS is also effective and fast if you are facing the correct way for it to work. Everything else would be pretty situational and slow like Up B OoS, Uair and fair all as hard punishers with specific spacing.

T-block

B2B TST
Ivy does all right OoS. N-air if they're close, b-air if they're farther away. Not a whole lot of they're spacing in front of you though... Bullet Seed is there, but it's pretty risky, as always.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
How do you Wavebounce Rock Smash? I've done it many times, but i'm unfamiliar with the general hand motions.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Well i'm not 100% sure either but I think there is a small problem with Ingoro's way. If you did that you would do the rocksmash to the left, but i'm not sure what you're trying to say so i'll just explain it. If you are moving to the right and your opponent is to the right then you should jump and do left+b and then slam right really fast. That would get you a little bounce backwards and then make you come in with the rock smash. If you hold left after you do the bounce you can do an uber retreat rocksmash. Again i'm not 100% sure but i'm sure enough to write al this out.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
If you use pkmn trainer there is always 1 pkmn you're the best with right? Well mines charizard. I wanna play my pkmn trainer so... that I can use zard the most WITHOUT losing squirtle. What I mean is I don't want to play with a squirtle that's above 80% or higher each time. How do I create a style which excists of 60% zard 35% squirtle 5% ivy? I find this very hard cause my squirtle-playtime is like 10 seconds everytime <.<

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you use pkmn trainer there is always 1 pkmn you're the best with right? Well mines charizard. I wanna play my pkmn trainer so... that I can use zard the most WITHOUT losing squirtle. What I mean is I don't want to play with a squirtle that's above 80% or higher each time. How do I create a style which excists of 60% zard 35% squirtle 5% ivy? I find this very hard cause my squirtle-playtime is like 10 seconds everytime <.<
Don't switch out after the first KO (assuming you're still Charizard and haven't been KO'd yet). A KO'd Pokémon gets most of their fatigue taken away. If you don't want to stay Squirtle for long periods of time, after racking up a solid amount of damage, switch immediately after using Squirtle's D-Throw. If you don't have a lot of damage on Ivysaur, switch after a B-Throw off-stage. If you have a lot of damage on you as Ivysaur, don't worry about switching. It would seem that you prioritize playing as Charizard, so losing the end of a stock as Ivysaur should be worth it to you.

Also--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOkF2HuSaak

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Don't switch out after the first KO (assuming you're still Charizard and haven't been KO'd yet). A KO'd Pokémon gets most of their fatigue taken away. If you don't want to stay Squirtle for long periods of time, after racking up a solid amount of damage, switch immediately after using Squirtle's D-Throw. If you don't have a lot of damage on Ivysaur, switch after a B-Throw off-stage. If you have a lot of damage on you as Ivysaur, don't worry about switching. It would seem that you prioritize playing as Charizard, so losing the end of a stock as Ivysaur should be worth it to you.

Also--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOkF2HuSaak

Allright thanks, is my playtime with squirtle still a fair amount with that playstyle tactick? I just want my style to be like squirtle players but replace squirtle with zard. I hate playing as ivy so I wanna avoid her as much as possible

Also I use the baton pass technique quite a lot haha. Thanks for reminding me though

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Only you could say whether or not how much you use Squirtle is good enough for yourself, not me.

Regardless, I find that Charizard gets outright shut down in some matchups, and I don't try to put percentages of play on any of them. I just use what works. There is no truly right and wrong percentage, but how you do in individual matchups should give you a guide.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Only you could say whether or not how much you use Squirtle is good enough for yourself, not me.

Regardless, I find that Charizard gets outright shut down in some matchups, and I don't try to put percentages of play on any of them. I just use what works. There is no truly right and wrong percentage, but how you do in individual matchups should give you a guide.
like? diddy?

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Allright thanks for the help, it really helped me.

And and and where is the match up compendium here I wanna know pt's match ups

And and and and and, any usefull threads, to improve my zard?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Allright thanks for the help, it really helped me.

And and and where is the match up compendium here I wanna know pt's match ups

And and and and and, any usefull threads, to improve my zard?
Mmm...The match-up stuff is a work in progress.

I wrote a general guide a year ago--Check that out.

Also, the thread labeled "Charizard Tactical Discussion" is riddled with all sorts of information, though you'll have to sift through it a bit. You could search for all my posts in the thread for immediate, helpful advice, but other people had good things to say.

Top Bottom